Coach Eric Boles

Clutching Victory from the Jaws of Defeat

I just want to say how impressed I am with the fight of this team, and them finding a way to win Saturday.

It wasn’t always pretty, and at one time or another, just about every mistake you can think of was made. And WSU, hats off to them, threw just about every trick you can think of at the defense. 

It feels like opponents are going to have to be way ahead for the offense to not have the ability to catch up.

Edited by Coach Eric Boles
  • Go Ducks! 2
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 9/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I just want to say how impressed I am with the fight of this team, and them finding a way to win Saturday.

I join you in this. 29 points in one quarter! Just a great team attitude. Huge respect for WSU and what they are building up there. Yes, they should have been ranked.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2022 at 9:57 AM, Coach Eric Boles said:

It feels like opponents are going to have to be way ahead for the offense to not have the ability to catch up.

I'd rather that not ever happen again.  Eventually the comebacks stop coming.  But to do what they did on the road against an inspired-to-play team like Wazzoo Saturday was pretty exciting and impressive.  

Thank God Mase Funa had jumped that quick route and made the catch.  It wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't scored.  Oregon had the ball and WSU had no more time outs.  A drop there and - who knows?  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mic said:

Thank God Mase Funa had jumped that quick route and made the catch.  It wouldn't have mattered if he hadn't scored.  Oregon had the ball and WSU had no more time outs.  A drop there and - who knows?

The defense was gassed at the end of the game. 

I feel like the team and fan base may have purged themselves of the past number of years. For me the uneasy questions of unrealized potential, and the coaching carousel, ended on Saturday against a good team at their house.

The Oregon team that walked out of Martin is not the same team that walked into Martin. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 12:16 PM, lownslowav8r said:

The defense was gassed at the end of the game. 

Their's or ours?  Probably both.  Thankfully it didn't end up in O.T.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 3:04 PM, Mic said:

I'd rather that not ever happen again.  Eventually the comebacks stop coming.  But to do what they did on the road against an inspired-to-play team like Wazzoo Saturday was pretty exciting and impressive.  

Oh you for sure don’t want to make a a habit of having to come back, but having the ability is a welcome sight. 

I also don’t imagine Oregon having the same number of mistakes again. Without the amount of those that we had, we’re not talking about a close game. And that’s to take nothing from WSU. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:39 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I also don’t imagine Oregon having the same number of mistakes again. Without the amount of those that we had, we’re not talking about a close game. And that’s to take nothing from WSU. 

Going back over the game again it's clear you're right Coach: Oregon brought a lot of the problems on themselves, esp in the red zone. 

But I also saw (in WSU) a definitely improved team who (under Dickert) seems to give as much thought to defense as offense.  I don't ever remember seeing WSU play with so much speed on defense before. They may have caught Oregon by surprise with that speed, esp. on the perimeter.

Oregon is still the faster team, though, imo. I think Lanning and Dickert are going to have some real battles together. 

Giving credit where it's due, Ward is one shifty magician of a QB. Some of his quick darts, improvised lobs, and even that one play where he faked tossing the ball to a crossing player and kept it were eye opening. Wazoo's defense was a handful.

But those sack-leading Cougs failed to get even one. Thank you OL for helping keep Bo safe and on his feet. Ultimately our offense prevailed, with better play calls than those unfortunate early calls in the red zone. (All those missed points!) And that big defensive pic six from Funa was a back breaker.

All in all an exciting game and if it's any indication of what Wazoo is capable of going forward, their future opponents had better watch out. 

Ours too.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, tee duke said:

Giving credit where it's due, Ward is one shifty magician of a QB. Some of his quick darts, improvised lobs, and even that one play where he faked tossing the ball to a crossing player and kept it were eye opening. Wazoo's defense was a handful.

All in all an exciting game and if it's any indication of what Wazoo is capable of going forward, their future opponents had better watch out. 

This is one of those games where a case could almost be made WSU gets a ranking even in defeat.  But we know that will never happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great effort and fight.  Duck mistakes did make this a situation it should not have been, as UO could move the ball at will.  That said, WSU D showed better use of their pursuit speed in finishing the play.  Oregon D still seems to be pursuing hard as coach Dan wants, but over running the tackle. Lots of misses that way.

Edited by AllOregon
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/26/2022 at 12:04 PM, Mic said:

In some ways it might have been better if he didn't score... as Oregon could kill the clock and not even give WSU a chance at a last gasp of life. 

But in truth I feel the Pick-six was needed from a moral standpoint more than anything. 

On 9/26/2022 at 10:39 PM, David Marsh said:

In some ways it might have been better if he didn't score... as Oregon could kill the clock and not even give WSU a chance at a last gasp of life. 

But in truth I feel the Pick-six was needed from a moral standpoint more than anything. 

I think you're right about the moral victory, not only for the defense and the team, but also for Mase Funa. How often does a defensive lineman get a pick 6? Let the hard-working man enjoy his spoils.

• Thumbs Up 2