debbieduck

Oregon vs UCLA Winner Plays SEC Champ

I’m not convinced an Oregon win will do it for our Ducks?  

But in a very real sense, a UCLA win, and a home win against USC, leaves UCLA with the following: 

Road win against number 10 Oregon

Home  win against number 6 USC

Home win against then # 12 Utah

That’s very possible.  And that equals a first round playoff game against SEC champion. 

I imagine Chip is aware of this.  As well as his team.  

Edited by debbieduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, debbieduck said:

I imagine Chip is aware of this.  As well as his team.  

Even with that scenario SC will still need to win the Pac-12 Championship game, meaning a 2nd win (possibly) against one of those three teams or maybe another.  The Pac championship is also on the road (Las Vegas) for both teams.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I just thought up.  

When SC and UCLA leave for the Big1G, some have called for UNLV to be one of the teams to consider for joining the Pac.  Personally, I think the chances very low of that happening.  Never-the-less, if UNLV were to join the Pac, that would mean the end of the Pac Championship being held in Alligent Field, Las Vegas, wouldn't it?

The Pac wouldn't want to go thru another round of criticism over one of its teams having possible home-field advantage again, like the So Cal schools did for way too long.

The USC/Utah loser will drop. USC would drop out of the top 10 and Utah would drop out of the top 15 or 20. They need USC to be undefeated when they play them.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:40 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

The USC/Utah loser will drop. USC would drop out of the top 10 and Utah would drop out of the top 15 or 20. They need USC to be undefeated when they play them.

By "they" do you mean UCLA or Oregon (in the Pac-12 Championship)?  Unless the Pac-12 champs have more than one loss, I think they get considered for the Playoffs, but it also depends on what happens elsewhere around the country.  We all know of the bias that exists in the media - hence NCAA.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:47 PM, Mic said:

By "they" do you mean UCLA or Oregon (in the Pac-12 Championship)?  Unless the Pac-12 champs have more than one loss, I think they get considered for the Playoffs, but it also depends on what happens elsewhere around the country.  We all know of the bias that exists in the media - hence NCAA.

I was talking about UCLA. I’ve made my opinion known on Oregon’s chances. The committee will not look favorably at losing to top competition by 7 TD’s + 2 safety’s. They will say the Ducks had their chance and blew it.

Here’s the other problem. Oregon would need to beat an undefeated USC. However, by doing that, they only will have beaten a 2-loss UCLA and a 3-loss Utah. Both of those teams would be ranked outside the top 20 by then. No real help for getting into the top 4. BYU has even fallen out of the top 25 and they have no real good chance to climb back in.

Edited by DrJacksPlaidPants

The 12 team playoff can't get here fast enough... 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/11/2022 at 5:33 PM, Mic said:

Even with that scenario SC will still need to win the Pac-12 Championship game, meaning a 2nd win (possibly) against one of those three teams or maybe another.  The Pac championship is also on the road (Las Vegas) for both teams.

No I’m saying UCLA is going to best usc. 

On 10/11/2022 at 7:57 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Oregon would need to beat an undefeated USC.

The Nightmare scenario for the committee I have been looking at is Tennessee beating Bama, but losing to Georgia.  Georgia making the SEC Championship undefeated, and Bama winning the West and beating Georgia in the SEC title game, plus Ole Miss only having lost to Bama.

We could see:

Four 1 Loss SEC teams
Three 1 Loss B1G teams
Two 1 Loss Big12 teams
Two 1 Loss PAC12 teams
Two 1 Loss ACC teams

On 10/11/2022 at 8:10 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

The Nightmare scenario for the committee I have been looking at is Tennessee beating Bama, but losing to Georgia.  Georgia making the SEC Championship undefeated, and Bama winning the West and beating Georgia in the SEC title game, plus Ole Miss only having lost to Bama.

We could see:

Four 1 Loss SEC teams
Three 1 Loss B1G teams
Two 1 Loss Big12 teams
Two 1 Loss PAC12 teams
Two 1 Loss ACC teams

Good Lordy!   I guess that is possible.  Do you think an undefeated PAC 12 team jumps a 1 loss Bama? 

On 10/11/2022 at 5:57 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

Here’s the other problem. Oregon would need to beat an undefeated USC. However, by doing that, they only will have beaten a 2-loss UCLA and a 3-loss Utah. Both of those teams would be ranked outside the top 20 by then. No real help for getting into the top 4. BYU has even fallen out of the top 25 and they have no real good chance to climb back in.

Well, after all, most of us were just hoping for an 8 or 9 win season and not thinking Lanning could ever get us to the Playoffs in his 1st year.  It's just all these wins O's been racking up has us thinking over our heads.  I suppose we should understand that an 8-4 or 9-3 season followed by a decent bowl win would be a great success for the new regime and not get carried away with ourselves talking Playoffs.  

On 10/11/2022 at 7:01 PM, debbieduck said:

No I’m saying UCLA is going to best usc. 

I might be inclined to take that bet.  Shall we say a 'gentleman's-to-a-lady' bet on this, debbie?  Or should a 'gentleman' ever seek to lure a lady into such an arrangement?  Probably not.

Let's wait and see where things stand after the 22nd, shall we?  If UCLA beats Oregon in Eugene, I would say you are probably correct.  If Oregon can handle UCLA (and not win by an eyelash) then things might look different. 

On 10/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, debbieduck said:

Good Lordy!   I guess that is possible.  Do you think an undefeated PAC 12 team jumps a 1 loss Bama? 

Yes I think so. Bama has been a bit uninspiring this year and could easily have lost two games already. Those things make a difference when there are many potential deserving teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2022 at 6:24 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Bama has been a bit uninspiring this year and could easily have lost two games already. Those things make a difference when there are many potential deserving teams.

I could see Bama getting left out of things, but not if they win the SEC title game.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:10 PM, chrisjenn99 said:

We could see:

Four 1 Loss SEC teams
Three 1 Loss B1G teams
Two 1 Loss Big12 teams
Two 1 Loss PAC12 teams
Two 1 Loss ACC teams

If there was ever a reason for 4 SEC teams in the playoff, that would be the scenario.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:38 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

If there was ever a reason for 4 SEC teams in the playoff, that would be the scenario.

Egad.

CFB National Championship = SEC Championship, Part II.   Oh, that'll be popular with fans, all right.... like a wart removal video.

• Haha 1

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. 

Yes, the Ducks have 5 wins in a row, averaging over 40/game. But the strength of our schedule lies ahead.

The Ducks still need to play their best in all remaining, 'cept maybe CU.

It's way to early to speculate.

Still too many undefeated teams ahead of our one loss Ducks. 

We need to stay focused. One week at a time.

Right now, it's DTR and Charnonnet, and CK's offensive genius, against our own set of young genius minded coaches. 

This should be an epic match up.

Can't get here soon enough!

Go Ducks! Stomp the Bruins.

On 10/12/2022 at 4:11 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I could see Bama getting left out of things, but not if they win the SEC title game.

That is a very good point Kurt and  you are probably right. But  it certainly would be impossible to to exclude an undefeated PAC-12 champion. 

I actually think that Bama will have their  hands full with Tennessee IF...IF Bryce Young is unable to go on Saturday.

On 10/11/2022 at 5:38 PM, Mic said:

Here's an interesting tidbit that I just thought up.  

When SC and UCLA leave for the Big1G, some have called for UNLV to be one of the teams to consider for joining the Pac.  Personally, I think the chances very low of that happening.  Never-the-less, if UNLV were to join the Pac, that would mean the end of the Pac Championship being held in Alligent Field, Las Vegas, wouldn't it?

The Pac wouldn't want to go thru another round of criticism over one of its teams having possible home-field advantage again, like the So Cal schools did for way too long.

Not a problem until UNLV gets close to going to the Championship game. We'd be safe for at least 20 years... IMHO

• Haha 1