Charles Fischer

Worried About Oregon PEAKING Too Early?

When the offense is operating like this....YES.  But look at what Coach Lanning had to say...

Q: WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST TAKEAWAY OF THE TEAM AFTER TODAY'S WIN?

Lanning: "Just that we haven't seen our best yet. I was hoping this would be a game where we could walk away and see our best and we haven't seen it yet. I'm excited to see where we can go but we have to tap into that and it's a choice we have to make. Hopefully that'll carry over into the future."

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Potential or full potential being realized is very elusive and in many cases is unobtainable. However goals can be set and then achieved. Then new goals set and then, also, achieved.......

Peaking early or too soon happens to the very best. Those who strive to improve, then set goals for improvement, work at that improvement to acheve their goals, rarely peak. They just reset and move forward.

Those who say they can't, well can't. Those who quit, settle for less then self defeat. They peak far to soon.

Dont see any quitters on this staff or player roster. Looking foward to the next level of improvement and achievement.

GO DUCKS! Show us what your ceiling for achiement is........

• Great post! 1

The teams is working hard for sure. Crazy all these false starts in the red zone. Lack of concentration.

Bo is an amazing athlete, the more I see him play the more impressed I become.

It's hard to be critical of a guy who throws for 412 yds and gets 6 TD's, but, I think Bo had his worst game of the year (not counting UGA).

Many throws were late, and a lot were low, even when we caught them.

That said, Bo is still playing great and I'm not complaining,  just observing. 

Next week we need to be able to rest him most of 2nd half.

Last 3 games will decide our post season location.

The Ducks probably have not peaked yet. They did not play their best against Cal. 

I'm hoping for some great games ahead. When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

The team is very young and they must face the late season demands of November and December football. I am hoping that Nix's veteran leadership paired with DJ, Forsythe, and the O-Line will be enough to pull the younger guys along.

I wonder about the effects of  "the grind" on the young coaching staff?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/30/2022 at 3:56 PM, Notalot said:

I wonder about the effects of  "the grind" on the young coaching staff?

I suspect the "grind" will not be a problem for  this staff which, I am sure, is challenging its players to work hard and get better every day. If they are getting their message across, and it seems as if they are, the team is not close to peaking yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really not concerned about peaking too soon this year, at least not yet (and we're well into the second half of the season).

There is still a lot of room to improve.

The slow starts in some games, the pass D/coverage, we could have scored three more touch downs (or at least field goals, hitting my prediction of 51 points) but didn't finish in the red zone. 

Get better every day, then making each game better than the last. Hopefully by the bowl game, maybe even the playoffs we are peaking.

With continued improvement this can certainly be one of the top four teams in the country when all the dust settles, even if they do not make the playoffs. 

I wasn’t able to catch a lot of the game but what I did see was definitely not as sharp as the week prior.  That said, I don’t feel they played down to the level of the competition.  While there was likely a drop in focus after such a huge game, they were never really in risk of losing.  

The same could not be said of last year’s team who would probably have lost

It is nigh impossible to play at the level they did against UCLA week in and week out.  So if is their “let down” mode, this team is going to be just fine.

The Cal game on the road had all the makings of a letdown game after a huge home win against UCLA.  I'm not surprised at all that we were a little flat, but Cal games are always ugly.  They have a solid defense, so even when their offense stinks (which it usually does), they manage to keep it close.  Sure we didn't play our best game, but it was a 3-score road win against a team we historically struggle with.  

Progress is rarely linear.  I would expect us to beat Colorado handily, the we come back to Autzen and the November stretch that will define our season.  I guess we'll see soon enough, but I think we see continued improvement (especially on defense).

Edited by noDucknewby