Ktmguy2018

I Can Admit When I am Wrong....

And, I am ready to admit I am wrong about Ty Thompson.  I was ALL-IN on this kid since he got to Oregon.  I was very skeptical when Bo was brought in because I was thinking Ty was the guy.  Then, I watched the spring game and was willing to write off the mediocre showing as just growing pains.  But, there was no mistaking at that game how wide the gap was between Bo and Ty. 

Like all of you, I've watched Ty in mop-up duty and made numerous comments excusing his lackluster play during those times.  I've watched his demeanor on the sideline and thought, "This kid is ready to be a star".  

Well folks, I am going to admit that I am wrong.  The Ty Thompson that I see on the sidelines exuding confidence and attitude disappeared completely last night when he had to go in for Bo.  When they showed him on the sidelines with the headset on, he looked calm and ready.  I was thinking to myself, "OK kid, you are with the ones now, time to shine".  When he was behind center, he honestly looked a little scared back there.  I know it was a critical point in the game but this kid is a 5* HS champion athlete.  He's been in big moments before.  

I'm the first person to say that the coaches are the ones who coach up the kids, but the kids are who play the game.  Ty reminds me of that co-worker we have all had...the one who nods their head in understanding when something is explained and then immediately has to ask for help when they have to do the task because they actually didn't understand.  

I remember (seems like so long ago) watching a new kid at the spring practice run the offense.  The minute he played, I knew why Darron Thomas had left.  The kids name: Marcus Mariota.  Now, I know that he's a generational talent but there was NO QUESTION that he was ready to take over the team.  He had one year of redshirt and then TOOK the spot from Darron.  

Ty has NOT shown that he is ready to take over this team.  If Bo declares for the draft (which he should do), our QB situation for next year is tenuous.  Maybe Dante Moore will be Mariota-esque, but that's assuming nobody flips him.  

To all of you who were calling out issues with Ty, you were right.   He's not the future at QB.  And I don't know who is.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/13/2022 at 11:17 AM, Ktmguy2018 said:

To all of you who were calling out issues with Ty, you were right.   He's not the future at QB.  And I don't know who is.

Unless Bo decides he wants another year to prepare for the NFL, nobody knows at this point.  

I know a lot of guys on this forum are thinking D'ante Moore but realistically: 1) he isn't a Duck yet. and 2) He's just a HS'er with a lot of talent and 5 stars.  TT supposedly had a lot of talent and 5 stars too.  And, he's a few years older.  But he's not looking like he's gonna work out.  Not at this point!

One of our best QB's ever was only a 3 star and you all know whom I mean.  It has to be in the young man to want to compete with all he's got or it's all just numbers and stars and scouting reports.  

On 11/13/2022 at 1:05 PM, Mic said:

Unless Bo decides he wants another year to prepare for the NFL, nobody knows at this point.  

I know a lot of guys on this forum are thinking D'ante Moore but realistically: 1) he isn't a Duck yet. and 2) He's just a HS'er with a lot of talent and 5 stars.  TT supposedly had a lot of talent and 5 stars too.  And, he's a few years older.  But he's not looking like he's gonna work out.  Not at this point!

One of our best QB's ever was only a 3 star and you all know whom I mean.  It has to be in the young man to want to compete with all he's got or it's all just numbers and stars and scouting reports.  

It would be ideal for the Ducks, if Nix returned and the Ducks could groom and ease Moore into that starting role.  I think he could benefit from having an experienced QB like Nix take him under his wings and show him the ropes.  However, the sad truth is a lot of these 5-star recruits don't want to wait their turn.

I think the MSU fans were saying the reason they lost Moore to the Ducks, is because MSU took the bird in the hand, with another QB, Edmunson.  They felt that Moore lost interest in MSU and they didn't want to get into a bidding war or compete for him.  However, now that Edmunson decommitted, Moore is coming back around to the idea of playing for the Spartans.  At least, that is what I read. 

So, Nix returning, could cost us Moore.

On 11/13/2022 at 1:17 PM, Ktmguy2018 said:

Ty reminds me of that co-worker we have all had...the one who nods their head in understanding when something is explained and then immediately has to ask for help when they have to do the task because they actually didn't understand.  

Paper Tiger!

Wouldn't it be sweet if Ty Thompson, having to start the game due to Nix's injury, comes out playing like he means it?  

I wouldn't mind it so bad even if Utah whips Oregon (which they probably will, now) if Ty would just come out gunning, with fire in his belly.  It's the least he could do for all the time and effort that's been put into his almost three years here at Oregon.  Isn't it?

On 11/13/2022 at 11:05 PM, Mic said:

One of our best QB's ever was only a 3 star and you all know whom I mean.  

Actually, I believe MOST of our best QBs were 3 stars, or maybe even lower.  I'm not going to go back and research it all, but I'm pretty sure Herbert was a 3 star, and although I'm not sure there were "star rankings" back then, I'm going to guess Joey Harrington, Akili Smith, Jeremiah Masoli, Vernon Adams, Dan Fouts, Chris Miller, Tony Graziani, and Bill Musgrave were all under-the-radar recruits.  I know Fouts and Musgrave were basically unknowns, and Miller was considered risky because of his knee.  Masoli and Smith were JC transfers.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2022 at 1:44 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

Actually, I believe MOST of our best QBs were 3 stars, or maybe even lower.  

Yes, it's time to stop chasing after the stars and actually evaluate the players in person like the old times.    The whole CFB system now is broken, including this business of ranking teams recruiting based on star ratings and making a big deal out of it.

• Applause 1

Can Helfrich be hired (or be a volunteer) to scout QBs for the Ducks? He did bring in Marcus and Justin, after all, and I think they were both 3-stars who turned out well for the Ducks. 🙂

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

TT's 5* was not a consensus and one site that gave him that rating also said some of it was based upon potential.

It would be nice to see what he could do with a full playbook and the first team around him.

Of course, according to our "coach speak" 1A, B & C was not clear cut in the spring or early fall . . . yeah, right.