FishDuck Article

Ducks Give Away Win to Huskies

I woke up Sunday morning, quickly grabbed my phone, and immediately brought up my ESPN app. I went to the college football section to check the Top 25 scores only to discover that the nightmare I had experienced on Saturday evening was in fact a harsh reality. Washington 37, Oregon 34. I was texting my Husky cousin in Seattle during ...

U
FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com points to sloppy play and questionable coaching decisions as the reason why the Ducks lost to the Huskies on...
  • Like 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for your perspective on the game Darren!  You summed up the causes very clearly.

I appreciate your sense of humor in your last paragraph, "Well, friends, eat healthy, exercise, take your vitamins, and get your colonoscopies; we are going to have to live a little bit longer if we are going to catch those dastardly Huskies in our lifetime." 

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a good recap Darren. It is much easier to read this on a Monday after the game and see it through clearer eyes.

What you wrote was all true! Thanks for your time in writing this article.

I think after the D went full Swiss cheese and gave up that 62 yarder in about ten seconds. Lanning didn't trust the D to stop UW from anywhere. With that in mind I think going for it was the safest option but a think I timeout to put Bo back in and set up a good play is the hindsight move that should have happened.

• Thumbs Up 1

Going for it was the correct decision but the personnel was wrong.  They weren’t going to stop the Huskies so punting delayed the inevitable 

What I do have issue with it was taking the FG with 4 and change left.  If you will go for it on your 31, you should make the same decision at your 8 so to put the game away.

I think the Ducks win out from here TBH. This is one of those games that is a really tough learning moment for DL and his staff.  Rookie coaches carry risk and that was borne out on Saturday 

I’m OK with that process so long as he learns from it and it makes him and the team better 

But I kinda feel that after this kind of loss, the Ducks have no pressure of the CFP and should play loose against Utah, OSU and the PAC title game (which they will get to)

I find this not so cheery but revealing news:

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

It's time to grade the College Football Playoff contenders that shined and struggled in Week 11

I think this is a grade just about all of us would not find surprising.  Pity, it's Oregon getting the F.

Agreed, have to keep kale on the diet 2 mas anos.

Goal line fumble wasn't too costly as it really just took time off the clock as we held and then drove down and scored.

Pass defense = oxymoron.  Bennett burned twice, second one especially bad since it looked like if he takes the correct angle, he has a chance for the int.

Passing, yes weird only 1 TE catch.

Nix's injury, the insult was that it looked like he was baited into that run as the tackler was lying in wait and brought the woodshed with him. Heck, even I knew it was essentially a repeat of the earlier scoring play (fool me once . . . but there was "no shame on" me follow up).

Also agree with punt on that last 4th down.  It looked like Auburn 2019 2.0 only with Bo literally on our sideline.  Why not have Thompson run an RPO, or naked bootleg on an earlier down.  Injured center, back up also at guard.  Needed a little more coaching prowess there.  Also brings back memories of Chip vs Fairley in the BCS.

Lastly, these are the PAC 12 refs, why not challenge the tug-o-war int/catch.  It sure looked like we (don't remember who, Gonzo?) had the int, possession and a knee down before the ball is ripped away. 

Pretty much sums it up, but agree with others we had to go for it on that last fourth down with TT in.  It's been a high percentage conversion and our defense couldn't stop the fuskies anyway (not to mention how sketchy our punts have been).  If Whittington doesn''t slip, we probably convert, just a bad bounce.

Also agree we had to take that last field goal after Nix got hurt.  No way TT converts on that fourth down.

Speaking of TT, this loss is not on him he was put in a near impossible situation.  All hindsight now, but Lanning's decision to not call a time out at that critical juncture may have cost us the game (or at least overtime).

Edited by noDucknewby

I will say it one more time, that play was dead way before Noah slipped. That was MariØ haunting us from afar. Without that slip that collision would have been a dawg highlight.

Also I'm wondering if Lanning really has much to do with the play calling on the offense? That was a masterful drive with burning the clock and keeping the dawgs guessing all the way until Nix ran it. One mistake, but then the wheels came off the decision making process.

It looked like, to me, Dan was just letting Dilly call all the plays, even when Nix was right next to him ready to go in. Without an OC on the sideline those kind of decisions get missed.

Photo attached shows Noah trying to stop before being drilled by the guy who ended up tackling him, came in untouched, and number 5 came around the other side unblocked, no where to go. The slip only stopped a massive collision.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 8.09.28 AM.png

Edited by Haywarduck
suffix

Yes the coaches dropped a few balls this week. At least this staff will go over those mistakes and process through them, learn and grow from them. I'd rather have that after a lose than simply blaming it on lack of physicality and nothing changes.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/14/2022 at 7:23 AM, Steven A said:

Lastly, these are the PAC 12 refs, why not challenge the tug-o-war int/catch.  It sure looked like we (don't remember who, Gonzo?) had the int, possession and a knee down before the ball is ripped away. 

The Offensive player is always (?) awarded the catch if there's duel possession, right?  Unless I'm wrong, they both had the ball.

On 11/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, Mic said:

if there's duel possession, right?

Correct.  However, I thought the replay showed our player with the ball firmly in his hands and stomach with the WR grasping for it.  But, we'll never know.

On 11/14/2022 at 5:42 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks for your perspective on the game Darren!  You summed up the causes very clearly.

I appreciate your sense of humor in your last paragraph, "Well, friends, eat healthy, exercise, take your vitamins, and get your colonoscopies; we are going to have to live a little bit longer if we are going to catch those dastardly Huskies in our lifetime." 

Thank you. Gotta keep the sense of humor up or we'll all go crazy! 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/14/2022 at 6:13 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

This is a good recap Darren. It is much easier to read this on a Monday after the game and see it through clearer eyes.

What you wrote was all true! Thanks for your time in writing this article.

Thanks! Yes, it's nice to write on Monday with a day after the game to think level-headed. Such a tough loss. 

On 11/14/2022 at 6:31 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I think after the D went full Swiss cheese and gave up that 62 yarder in about ten seconds. Lanning didn't trust the D to stop UW from anywhere. With that in mind I think going for it was the safest option but a think I timeout to put Bo back in and set up a good play is the hindsight move that should have happened.

Yeah, if Bo was back in I would have felt a lot better about it. I understand why he went for it, but man was that risky. 

On 11/14/2022 at 6:56 AM, CalBear95 said:

Going for it was the correct decision but the personnel was wrong.  They weren’t going to stop the Huskies so punting delayed the inevitable 

What I do have issue with it was taking the FG with 4 and change left.  If you will go for it on your 31, you should make the same decision at your 8 so to put the game away.

I think the Ducks win out from here TBH. This is one of those games that is a really tough learning moment for DL and his staff.  Rookie coaches carry risk and that was borne out on Saturday 

I’m OK with that process so long as he learns from it and it makes him and the team better 

But I kinda feel that after this kind of loss, the Ducks have no pressure of the CFP and should play loose against Utah, OSU and the PAC title game (which they will get to)

If I recall correctly, Nix had been knocked out when it came to the 4th down at the 8, so I get, and that was like a 4th and 3 or 4 if i recall correctly. Thompson hasn't exactly instilled confidence when he has played. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:13 AM, Mic said:

I find this not so cheery but revealing news:

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

It's time to grade the College Football Playoff contenders that shined and struggled in Week 11

I think this is a grade just about all of us would not find surprising.  Pity, it's Oregon getting the F.

Can't really disagree. Turnovers, untimely penalties, questionable coaching decisions, pourus D.   It had all the ingredients of an upset. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:23 AM, Steven A said:

Agreed, have to keep kale on the diet 2 mas anos.

Goal line fumble wasn't too costly as it really just took time off the clock as we held and then drove down and scored.

Pass defense = oxymoron.  Bennett burned twice, second one especially bad since it looked like if he takes the correct angle, he has a chance for the int.

Passing, yes weird only 1 TE catch.

Nix's injury, the insult was that it looked like he was baited into that run as the tackler was lying in wait and brought the woodshed with him. Heck, even I knew it was essentially a repeat of the earlier scoring play (fool me once . . . but there was "no shame on" me follow up).

Also agree with punt on that last 4th down.  It looked like Auburn 2019 2.0 only with Bo literally on our sideline.  Why not have Thompson run an RPO, or naked bootleg on an earlier down.  Injured center, back up also at guard.  Needed a little more coaching prowess there.  Also brings back memories of Chip vs Fairley in the BCS.

The Ducks left a solid 11 points on the table in the first half, those points probably woulda came in hand at the end of the game. There was the fumble at the 1-yard line, and earlier they had a bad penalty that made them kick a field goal instead of getting a TD. This happens, but the fumble at the 1 really got me because they were being cute in their formation and lost track of the play clock. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:40 AM, noDucknewby said:

Pretty much sums it up, but agree with others we had to go for it on that last fourth down with TT in.  It's been a high percentage conversion and our defense couldn't stop the fuskies anyway (not to mention how sketchy our punts have been).  If Whittington doesn''t slip, we probably convert, just a bad bounce.

Also agree we had to take that last field goal after Nix got hurt.  No way TT converts on that fourth down.

Speaking of TT, this loss is not on him he was put in a near impossible situation.  All hindsight now, but Lanning's decision to not call a time out at that critical juncture may have cost us the game (or at least overtime).

Yes, I don't put it on Thompson, he was in a tough spot. But, I just couldn't help the bad, bad feeling I had before the failure on 4th down. The stars were definitely not aligned in my world. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:47 AM, Haywarduck said:

I will say it one more time, that play was dead way before Noah slipped. That was MariØ haunting us from afar. Without that slip that collision would have been a dawg highlight.

Also I'm wondering if Lanning really has much to do with the play calling on the offense? That was a masterful drive with burning the clock and keeping the dawgs guessing all the way until Nix ran it. One mistake, but then the wheels came off the decision making process.

It looked like, to me, Dan was just letting Dilly call all the plays, even when Nix was right next to him ready to go in. Without an OC on the sideline those kind of decisions get missed.

Photo attached shows Noah trying to stop before being drilled by the guy who ended up tackling him, came in untouched, and number 5 came around the other side unblocked, no where to go. The slip only stopped a massive collision.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 8.09.28 AM.png

Yeah, they knew with a cold Thompson in that the Ducks weren't going to pass, which maybe the Ducks should have, but that's just second guessing. As I noted, the vibe was just not right, and hence agree with you 100% that the play was dead before the slip. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Yes the coaches dropped a few balls this week. At least this staff will go over those mistakes and process through them, learn and grow from them. I'd rather have that after a lose than simply blaming it on lack of physicality and nothing changes.

To get a little philisophical, I believe it is easier in life to be too agressive and then pull the reigns back on that and be more level-headed, THAN it is to be a wimp and force yourself to be more aggressive. So, Lanning has that going for him. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:54 AM, Mic said:

The Offensive player is always (?) awarded the catch if there's duel possession, right?  Unless I'm wrong, they both had the ball.

Yeah, tie goes the offensive player. 

On 11/14/2022 at 7:53 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Amen!  These new coaches are the opposite of before, and do keep in mind--although at a lower level--KB of Washington has been a head coach a long time.  Lanning is smart, but this time HC experience may have prevailed at key moments between the coaches.

Lanning will be a great coach before it is over...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/14/2022 at 7:58 AM, cartm25 said:

Re: your comment about catching the Huskies in the all time record.

I think as long as DeBoer is HC, then not much ground will be gained at all; perhaps split the games now.

Don't think it's set in yet how good a coach DeBoer is. He wins everywhere he goes and that offense of his is not going anywhere either since he's the mastermind.

After a weekend like that, I'm not sure how a stronger UW is good for the Ducks . . . they just knocked us out of CFP contention.

Well, then, I might have to freeze my body and get thawed out when the Ducks do catch the Huskies. Yes, DeBoer is a good coach, really turned those guys around. I guess a better UW make the Pac-12 better and helps with strength of schedule when it comes to the playoff. 

On 11/14/2022 at 9:16 AM, Steven A said:

Correct.  However, I thought the replay showed our player with the ball firmly in his hands and stomach with the WR grasping for it.  But, we'll never know.

Yeah, that was a tough one, i don't have the replay of it handy, but my last impression was that the UW player did get it. 

On 11/14/2022 at 11:00 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Amen!  These new coaches are the opposite of before, and do keep in mind--although at a lower level--KB of Washington has been a head coach a long time.  Lanning is smart, but this time HC experience may have prevailed at key moments between the coaches.

Lanning will be a great coach before it is over...

Yup, can't wait until he has his pieces on the defense.