Log Haulin

Does Junior Adams Deserve a Promotion?

There is often a case made for promoting from within. Maintaining continuity can be valuable. Has Junior Adams earned a promotion?

He has a strong resume. Co-OC at Oregon, OC at Western Kentucky. His stop at BSU and Eastern Washington were huge successes. 

I say give JA a shot here. He has earned it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great proposition. Keeping it in house and maintaining the same scheme would be better than another offensive reset.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/27/2022 at 8:48 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

They need to go find a good QB coach.

Agreed.  While we all rave about the transformation of Bo Nix I think we saw regression on the part of Ty Thompson and who knows what from Jay Butterfield.  

One could easily argue maturity and a change in scenery had as much to with Bo's improvement as Kenny Dillingham.  At best KD was only effective with one of his three pupils.

No you don't promote Junior unless Lanning really feels he is a star in the making. I think we can due better with other young OCs. 

It wasn't Juniors offense at WKU it was Mike Sanford s who had been the OC at Notre Dame and got his first head coaching in his mid 30's. 

Sanford took back the play calling duties in year two from Junior - that's telling. 

Sanford is the interm coach for Colorado - I'd hire him as OC before I promote Junior.

It seems that a lot of OCs would see Oregon as a good home. Especially if Moore ends up coming here. 

PURDUESPORTS.COM

Brian Brohm is in his sixth season as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach. He was hired Jan.

It would be tough to peel him away from Perdue.  His brother is the head coach. 

On 11/27/2022 at 9:29 AM, DazeNconfused said:

I think we can due better with other young OCs. 

I feel we might need someone with a bit more expirence. Dilly has been good this year but we had some glaring weaknesses due to his youth. 

I know I've written about some of those weaknesses before so I won't go into them now. 

But Lanning has learned some tough lessons this year and is going to have to hire at least one assistant. I feel he needs someone with a bit more expirence. 

Maybe still a young guy ... But maybe someone who has called plays before too would be good.

If Dilly were to stay he would have that growth and I wouldn't be calling for his head. But Dilly is gone and we can't go backwards and get a first time OC play caller. 

We have enough other projects to address this off season. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I trust Lanning to make a very good choice here, and make any adjustments needed on the defensive side of the ball. We have seen how he can bring in some amazing coaches. The next OC will likely be have the same result, as long as he has good qb mentoring skills.

I am more concerned, or interested in what he does with the defense. We haven't seen him deal with what seems like disfunction in a coaching group. Maybe he just needs his players, but the defense is the one I will be interested to see the moves within.