FishDuck Article

Season Review: Lanning and Lupoi Pull A ‘Hoke’ Job

As I’ve followed and written about the Oregon Ducks defense, I’ve been thrown many twists and curveballs from what I expected coming into this year. The expectation was with our roster talent, and the genius defensive mind of new head coach Dan Lanning, our defense would be elite. What we witnessed instead was the Ducks worst statistical defense since Brady Hoke‘s ...

FISHDUCK.COM

As I’ve followed and written about the Oregon Ducks defense, I’ve been thrown many twists and curveballs from what I expected coming into...

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks DazeNConfused!  Much to discuss in your excellent article.  If only we could have been a fly on the wall in the coach's office.  

I agree with your description of the Washington and Utah games.  We did see Coach Lanning much more animated during the Utah game.  I'm sure Lanning and Lupoi had civil discussions like you and Mr. FishDuck.

I'm still confused why the defense couldn't stop the Oregon State run in the 4th quarter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Another great article.  Many thanks, DNC.  At times during the season I could have agreed with both yours and Charles' opinions on this issue.  It was something worth pondering.

Given the style of defense that Lanning fielded at Georgia, one has to wonder if his attacking Cover-1 wasn't ordered by Kirby Smart.  Like you, I fully expected DL to bring an attacking defense to our Ducks.  Our Ducks certainly had the player power to successfully utilize that same scheme.  And I, like many of you here on OBD, felt a little bit cheated by that vanilla and boring bend-but-not-break strategy he used instead.  And it bit our beloved Ducks solidly in the butt against WAZZU and the water rodents.

Here is something I said a few times about the maudlin Mario era:  "Surely he is smart enough to learn from his mistakes.  Surely he will open up the offense".  But nope.  He never did!  I said similar things about Brady Hoke's defense.  But nope.  So...twiced burn and all that.  Now I'll just let myself be pleasantly surprised IF  DL learns from his foibles.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm still confused why the defense couldn't stop the Oregon State run in the 4th quarter.”

i’m with you Smith72.  Doesn’t make sense: you know they’re gonna run, but you can’t stop ‘em?  My best guess is: Beav’s O-line was/is waaaaay superior to our D-line.  But…..where were our gap-filling linebackers?  Flabbergasting.  Does not compute.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks DNC, your article certainly provides much info to ponder. For me, it invokes more head scratching about the Ducks 2022 Defense. Still painful to discuss or ponder. More therapy needed.........

In the Husky game the bend don't break cover 2 defense failed. Penix destroyed the Duck secondary with quick scoring strikes. With no up front pressure applied Penix put the Broke part front and center. Whether it was scheme or poor player execution the D let the team down. I agree mixing it up may have helped.

I am with Smith72, still confused why the Ducks could not stop the Beavers run game in the 4th quarter. Just one stop by the D, just one, and win or lose in the PAC title game, we are in the Rose Bowl.

Looking forward to the thoughts and comments on the OBDF today.....

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2022 at 6:51 AM, Smith72 said:

I'm still confused why the defense couldn't stop the Oregon State run in the 4th quarter.

Tomorrow I dig into just that failure to stop the OSU run game. I think it will be the best article the Duck Media has put out digging into the question you and many fans have.

I hope you all enjoy the articles.

I also want to thank Mr. FishDuck again. The conclusions I draw and questions I ask have been developed in part with my discussions with him. Not only did Charles do an edit of these three articles to and add a few needed points, many of my points were drawn out of our shared talks. 

Thanks Charles! It's been fun putting our heads together this year - you've helped me connect the dots more than once. 

• Applause 1

Love to hear Lannings unfiltered take, but Charles and Dazed is an interesting take too. Thanks for sharing, the thoughts!

My take is Lanning is the opposite of MariØ, the micromanager. Lanning lets his coordinators run the show, and is learning when he needs to step in. 

He didn't step in and put Nix in the game on that 4th down, nor real in some of the questionable trick plays, use of our back-up.  He also didn't step in and run the defense as it failed, enough.

The question going forward for me is will he take over when needed, and can he make the needed changes to a dysfunctional coaching group. There are some tough choices, and I think just a little tweak to how he runs the program.

I personally don't care how good of a recruiter you are if you can't coach, you shouldn't be on the Oregon staff. The development of men into excellent players, teammates, and civic minded individuals is number one, two and three.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2022 at 7:58 AM, DazeNconfused said:

Tomorrow I dig into just that failure to stop the OSU run game. I think it will be the best article the Duck Media has put out digging into the question you and many fans have.

I hope you all enjoy the articles.

Thank you for another insightful article. FishDuck has the best Oregon scheme breakdowns and strategy analysis.  I enjoy learning more about OBD from educated fans and coaches. 

I look forward to reading your article on the Beaver game. Hopefully you let us know if we were playing a cover 2 or 1 defense most of the time (especially in the 4th quarter), as the game was too painful for me to watch the replay. 

You and/or Charles should try to conduct an interview with Lanning or Tosh in the off-season to get the answers to your debates. While I wouldn’t expect the coaches to throw a specific player under the bus, it would be interesting to learn more about their preferred defense style/strategy and whether that was limited this season by “personnel,” time, or was their strategy this year because of the high scoring offense. They certainly won’t return my phone calls and emails...

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, OregonDucks said:

You and/or Charles should try to conduct an interview with Lanning or Tosh in the off-season to get the answers to your debates.

You do not understand how the media works at the Oregon Athletic Department; they only want complete suck-ups asking snowball questions.  As it is now--I am very lucky to have photographers at all the Oregon games to supply pictures for articles for the rest of the year.  It was truly in doubt whether that would happen this season, and I was stressed out about it.

Why is this happening?  Because of all the articles I wrote about Mario Cristobal.  This one for example, set the Oregon world on fire going into the 2021 season, and they did not like it. 

I doubt that....

1) they would grant the interview, and...

2) that Lanning or Lupoi would actually admit to anything.

So we are better off speculating as we are.

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/12/2022 at 10:45 AM, Charles Fischer said:

You do not understand how the media works at the Oregon Athletic Department; they only want complete suck-ups asking snowball questions.  As it is now--I am very lucky to have photographers at all the Oregon games to supply pictures for articles for the rest of the year.  It was truly in doubt whether that would happen this season, and I was stressed out about it.

Why is this happening?  Because of all the articles I wrote about Mario Cristobal.  This one for example, set the Oregon world on fire going into the 2021 season, and they did not like it. 

I doubt that....

1) they would grant the interview, and...

2) that Lanning or Lupoi would actually admit to anything.

So we are better off speculating as we are.

That’s a shame Charles.  I did not realize that.

It’s unfortunate that the Oregon AD does not realize the service/value that you and this site provide to die hard Duck fans on educating them on all things Oregon sports. Thank you and the other writers/posters for everything you all do. 

Perhaps you or Dazed will get lucky and run into Lanning or Tosh in a bar, preferably after they have had a few...

On 12/12/2022 at 10:50 AM, OregonDucks said:

That’s a shame Charles.  I did not realize that.

It’s unfortunate that the Oregon AD does not realize the service/value that you and this site provide to die hard Duck fans on educating them on all things Oregon sports. Thank you and the other writers/posters for everything you all do. 

Perhaps you or Dazed will get lucky and run into Lanning or Tosh in a bar, preferably after they have had a few...

I remember when I blew up a supposed expert, self assured smart guy. I remember his response, and his red face afterwards, 'what do you do, stay in your lane!' I had the desired effect, didn't necessarily want the affect, and just walked away knowing I had done the right thing. 

You have to pick your fights, and expect repercussions.

It’s easy to understand why our D was so weak. Check out the stats.

Our leading tackler was a safety Williams with nearly twice as many tackles as number 2 Noah. Our DBs were getting way too many tackles compared to our front seven. Adding to the problem was opposing QBs had way to much time to throw the ball because of our lack of consistent pressure. DBs can’t cover wide receivers with lots of time to clear even though we had one of the best in the pack.

I believe that once DL gets more speed on his edge players and linebackers that can disrupt intermediate routes things will change dramatically.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 10:36 AM, OregonDucks said:

I look forward to reading your article on the Beaver game. Hopefully you let us know if we were playing a cover 2 or 1 defense most of the time (especially in the 4th quarter), as the game was too painful for me to watch the replay. 

I think how you scheme your front seven is more important in stopping the run game than if you are in Cover-1 or Cover-2 with your safeties in pass coverage. Yes, Cover-1 gets another defender up closer who can help with the bubble screens, slants and short to medium crosses, he can even get into run support faster since he is closer. 

But what your doing with the DL and LBs can be more important to stopping the run game than the extra defensive back up closer. I will get into this tomorrow. 

To me, this comes down to player execution and ability. Oregon proved it didn't have the defensive talent we all thought they did. 

The best defensive players were portal guys. Huge problems to fix in the off-season. 

Zero pressure on opposing QB's. Oregon doesn't have the dudes to get after the QB. They paid the price. 

"Cover 2", "cover 1"? Ducks couldn't defend their goal line no matter what scheme they were in. Ducks couldn't play defense! We can debate scheme till the cows come home. Doesn't matter if you don't have players.

Lanning will get a couple years to fix it. Partly because Mariø is paying his salary. Hopefully he can find some linebackers and edge rushers. Popo will be back and that should help on the front end.

Bridges should be moved back to safety. He was better towards the end of season at corner but his natural position is safety. Dude can hit.

Thought Ducks were pretty good at rush D but the Beavs put the chainsaw to that and shredded it to pieces.  

It's hard to dissect what unfolded for the Ducks defensively. Thought they had better talent, they don't.  Not sure why, on paper they are great, on the field... horrible!

• Thumbs Up 3

On 12/12/2022 at 1:04 PM, Just Ducky said:

It’s easy to understand why our D was so weak. Check out the stats.

Our leading tackler was a safety Williams with nearly twice as many tackles as number 2 Noah. Our DBs were getting way too many tackles compared to our front seven. Adding to the problem was opposing QBs had way to much time to throw the ball because of our lack of consistent pressure. DBs can’t cover wide receivers with lots of time to clear even though we had one of the best in the pack.

I believe that once DL gets more speed on his edge players and linebackers that can disrupt intermediate routes things will change dramatically.

You can't call the STAR a typical safety.

Bennett Williams played a lot of the Star position and it's really a Hybrid linebacker-defensive back. Williams had like 16 tackles in the Utah game and they had him up on the end of the line at times. He was getting into the front of run plays and even chasing them down from the backside. He was also covering the tight end on those crossing routes he had the two picks on.  Bennett has great reads and instincts in the run game, and he is a solid tackler for his size. 

I do agree I was surprised that the LBs didn't have more tackle numbers - Hill and Addison made quite a bit of plays during the year in in the run game. 

On 12/12/2022 at 1:41 PM, Log Haulin said:

To me, this comes down to player execution and ability. Oregon proved it didn't have the defensive talent we all thought they did. 

The best defensive players were portal guys. Huge problems to fix in the off-season. 

Zero pressure on opposing QB's. Oregon doesn't have the dudes to get after the QB. They paid the price. 

"Cover 2", "cover 1"? Ducks couldn't defend their goal line no matter what scheme they were in. Ducks couldn't play defense! We can debate scheme till the cows come home. Doesn't matter if you don't have players.

Lanning will get a couple years to fix it. Partly because Mariø is paying his salary. Hopefully he can find some linebackers and edge rushers. Popo will be back and that should help on the front end.

Bridges should be moved back to safety. He was better towards the end of season at corner but his natural position is safety. Dude can hit.

Thought Ducks were pretty good at rush D but the Beavs put the chainsaw to that and shredded it to pieces.  

It's hard to dissect what unfolded for the Ducks defensively. Thought they had better talent, they don't.  Not sure why, on paper they are great, on the field... horrible!

Lanning had Walker the 272lb edge go # 1 in the NFL draft and his Nose Jordan Davis was 340 lbs and went #13 and another 300 lb DT Wyatt went #23. 

Read tomorrows article and tell me that Lanning's scheme choice might have been ill fitted to the personnel he had?

He had three first round DL guys to run the two-gap scheme upfront with last year. 

How many times did we see 3rd and long converted? I think the only thing that rivals it was 3rd and short converted. Of course we had a ton of first downs and second downs go for a first down.

It was maddeningly frustrating. If repeated Lupoi should go and Lanning should have the temperature turned up a bit.

No matter the scheme, Oregon could not put pressure on opposition defensively. These players had difficulty executing on the field. Especially on third down.

Couldn't tell you how many times I saw Sewell get after the QB only to have a game of Patty Cake break out with the blocking RB. It was pathetic.

Riley, Roger's and Gonzo played well. Everyone else were spotty at best. Edge and LB play was horrendous. For whatever reason, the players on D weren't very good.

I don't know how much was scheme, youth or desire. I hope Lanning can turn it around. I believe Duck fans patience will be thin after the past 7 years. 

• Thumbs Up 1

For what its worth, i do remember after the Georgia beating that DL said they tried to give to much to the defensive players. They couldnt absorb the scheme and execute. 

He was going to scale back and bring more each week. OBDF members, some of these players either never got it or couldnt execute it. Either way, when it mattered themost the D unit could not stop the Beavers run game.

You rewatch that game, the 12th game of the season and those linebackers were either out of position or sealed off. Hell you could have put 9 in the box and Beavus still couldnt complete a pass.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 12/12/2022 at 3:58 PM, Log Haulin said:

How many times did we see 3rd and long converted? I think the only thing that rivals it was 3rd and short converted. Of course we had a ton of first downs and second downs go for a first down.

It was maddeningly frustrating. If repeated Lupoi should go and Lanning should have the temperature turned up a bit.

No matter the scheme, Oregon could not put pressure on opposition defensively. These players had difficulty executing on the field. Especially on third down.

Couldn't tell you how many times I saw Sewell get after the QB only to have a game of Patty Cake break out with the blocking RB. It was pathetic.

Riley, Roger's and Gonzo played well. Everyone else were spotty at best. Edge and LB play was horrendous. For whatever reason, the players on D weren't very good.

I don't know how much was scheme, youth or desire. I hope Lanning can turn it around. I believe Duck fans patience will be thin after the past 7 years. 

Yes, the third down defense drove me crazy - I said so in the article.

The Utah game stood out scheme wise from every other game we played during the year - and it was our best game by far. I think scheme did matter - we just chose to play a sit back passive scheme for 11 games of the season. 

The Utah was the one game where we played mostly Cover-1. We had the defensive line slanting into the gaps, we ran more stunts, overloads, blitzes. We had 6 tackles for loss, held Utah to 1-4 on 4th down, had probably our best 3rd down defense of the year. We got pressure on Rising but he was really good and scrambling away but he didn't have a good passing game at all. We had three picks, held them to 326 yards and only gave up 10 points on defense. 

You've made some good points, I hope you read tomorrows article and chime in. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, DazeNconfused said:

Yes, the third down defense drove me crazy - I said so in the article.

The Utah game stood out scheme wise from every other game we played during the year - and it was our best game by far. I think scheme did matter - we just chose to play a sit back passive scheme for 11 games of the season. 

The Utah was the one game where we played mostly Cover-1. We had the defensive line slanting into the gaps, we ran more stunts, overloads, blitzes. We had 6 tackles for loss, held Utah to 1-4 on 4th down, had probably our best 3rd down defense of the year. We got pressure on Rising but he was really good and scrambling away but he didn't have a good passing game at all. We had three picks, held them to 326 yards and only gave up 10 points on defense. 

You've made some good points, I hope you read tomorrows article and chime in. 

Looking forward to it.