FishDuck Article

How Many Quarterbacks Can One Team Sustain?

FishDuck writer David Marsh asks the question...

FISHDUCK.COM

Just how many scholarship quarterbacks can a college football roster sustain? This is the big question in this day and age of the transfer...
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Excellent points to ponder David.  Thanks for giving us another good article to discuss while we wait to see the results of recruiting.

I like your summary statement, "Have a little faith in this coaching staff, Duck fans..." Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Great points and as Smith72 pointed out "I like your summary statement".

With the portal and NIL the college landscape at times will be standing on quicksand. Other times, rocking and rolling thru a 7.1 quake.

IMHO, maybe the 3rd string QB position gives 3☆ talent a chance to have a scholarship, basic NIL offer and valuable practice time on a Power 5 roster.

Who knows, right?

Another great article, and ponder point. I also think it is important to consider what makes a healthy qb room. Oregon has all the potential elements of a healthy qb room, and it will be interesting to see if and how that comes too fruition.

First off we have a history of developing elite level qbs, with a Heisman winner and one of the top NFL qb's. These two elements count when a high school kid, or transfer considers going to a school. 

The second component is having an OC who both knows how to develop a qb and runs an offense where a qb can be highlighted. Oregon, with one vØid, has been a program where a qb can put up stats and learn to run an offense. Stein should be another OC with the traits qb's look for.

Another factor, is having a mentor to learn from. One thing I saw in the spring game was the leadership Nix had on the field.  Freshman, and back-ups need to learn how to command a team. Butters, and Ty didn't have that leadership component, and seeing that from a peer is critical. Some freshman may not want this, but signing onto a team with a mentor is a smart move. Few if any freshman step onto campus ready to lead at D1 level.

Lastly I do think some programs have the ability to have more than a couple capable qb's. When you have the dynamics Oregon, and a few other programs have, players will compete for that opportunity, and may be willing to take less NIL money to do that.

• Thumbs Up 1

During his most successful years at Norte Dame, Lou Holtz weighed in on recruiting.  He talked about making sure you had a balance of 3, 4, and 5 star players.  Have a good mix in the room of all-stars and worker bees.  At that time he could get lots of great players, as many as anyone.  But he had a formula.

That always made sense to me and it seems even more important now than before.  FWIW. 

• Thumbs Up 1

While I agree that keeping 4-5 QBs on the roster is more challenging with the transfer portal, I disagree that it can’t be done. 

It’s all about expectations. Most 5-star QB recruits are going to expect to start within the first year or two, and if that doesn’t happen they will transfer to a school where they believe it’s possible. 

On the other hand a 3 or 4 star recruit may be willing to wait a bit longer to start. Perhaps they are more of a developmental project or perhaps they grew up an Oregon Ducks fan. They also probably won’t have as many opportunities in the transfer portal, particularly at top 25 programs, since they don’t have the name recognition as a former 5-star. 

IMHO, Oregon should look to add two 3-4 star QBs EVERY class. If they don’t develop then look for a proven transfer QB in the portal to fill the gap. 

For the upcoming season, it looks like we’ll have 3 scholarship QBs, if TT does not transfer out in the spring. Perhaps the coaches should look to add a lower rated player or preferred walk on to get to 4 QBs, in case of emergency?

On 12/21/2022 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

Said David: "Have a little faith in this coaching staff, Duck fans; quarterback recruiting, and recruiting in general, has changed dramatically over the last three years and everyone is still learning. The old template for what a team should look like no longer applies, and that means having four or even five quarterbacks on scholarship is just not even remotely realistic anymore.

If there was ever an understatement regarding the college football recruiting landscape this is it.  The only way I can see more than two or three QB's is on a team everyone wants to be on because they know their chances of winning the National Championship are so great nobody else has a chance.  And with the CFB Playoffs expanding to 12 teams now - those days are gone too.

On 12/21/2022 at 9:20 AM, TexasDuck said:

During his most successful years at Norte Dame, Lou Holtz weighed in on recruiting.  He talked about making sure you had a balance of 3, 4, and 5 star players.  Have a good mix in the room of all-stars and worker bees.  At that time he could get lots of great players, as many as anyone.  But he had a formula.

That always made sense to me and it seems even more important now than before.  FWIW. 

Brilliant, we need to 5* recruits, but they need to be grounded by the 3* and 4* players pushing them and sometimes taking their spot. I appreciate the previous staff and this staff's focus on bringing in elite talent but their both needs to be balance and an awareness of the culture of competition.

I would say recruiting and putting together an elite program is both a science and an art. There is science pointing towards bringing in 5* talent, but the culture can't be ignored. Cranking NIL money toward unproven players isn't a proven part of that equation. I do wonder how having have money and have little money within a program with the NIL things will work out.

The art, to which you speak, or Holtz did, is also an important component. Lanning seems to have that going with his team not letting down against lesser talent.  The melt down against the beavs does point to a softness which needs to be addressed. Maybe that was just the boy wonder on the phone with his next job in mind as the game got away?

Great comment though as we became enamored with this new era of elite talent becoming a bigger fixture of the program. The 5* talent needs to earn it, and keep seeing the grinders pushed all those who come in contact with them.

As much as we may want the Allen Iverson type of player, who was so talented he seldom needed to, wanted to or did practice, we need players who lead by example, and drive the team over the top. 

This will be instilled from Georgia....  (The "De-Recruitment" Process)

FISHDUCK.COM

The Oregon fan base is excited about the arrival and results thus far of Head Coach Dan Lanning. Yet we know very little about him beyond the obvious résumé...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/21/2022 at 9:31 AM, OregonDucks said:

While I agree that keeping 4-5 QBs on the roster is more challenging with the transfer portal, I disagree that it can’t be done.

I don't think coaches want to keep that many quarterbacks on the roster because I'd that's the goal then they could find a way. Keep some lower star recruits on the roster would be one way of doing it. 

But I don't think the coaches want to hold four or five scholarships for quarterbacks. For each scholarship held by a QB who will never see the field in a game is a scholarship that doesn't go to a linemen or reciever or linebacker. Players that you need to have multiples on the field and in rotation to have a successful team. 

Developing quarterbacks is nice but no longer a nessissity as the transfer portal can make up for any prospects that don't pan out. 

On 12/21/2022 at 11:49 AM, David Marsh said:

But I don't think the coaches want to hold four or five scholarships for quarterbacks. For each scholarship held by a QB who will never see the field in a game is a scholarship that doesn't go to a linemen or reciever or linebacker. Players that you need to have multiples on the field and in rotation to have a successful team.

It wasn't that long ago that Oregon was down to their 4th or 5th quarterback, playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl.  I was there and it was among the worst Oregon offensive performances that I have witnessed.  Oregon only gained 148 yards and lost 0-16 (first shutout in 22+ years).

The Niners are on their 3rd QB this year and he almost wasn't able to go last game.  However, unlike the NFL, college teams cannot trade or pick up free agents during the season.

KPIC.COM

UCLA freshman Kai Forbath kicked three field goals, including a career-long 54-yarder, and the Bruins took advantage of No. 9...

On 12/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, OregonDucks said:

It wasn't that long ago that Oregon was down to their 4th or 5th quarterback, playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl.  I was there and it was among the worst Oregon offensive performances that I have witnessed.  Oregon only gained 148 yards and lost 0-16 (first shutout in 22+ years).

Yeah... Disasters can happen. 

Oregon still has a couple walkon quarterbacks on the roster and I feel they will continue to add walk on qbs for no other reason than to ensure there are quarterbacks for the practice squad. 

But to be honest... If Oregon or any other team goes through their starter and the back up in a single game or season... That season is written off. 

So I don't think coaches are too concerned about going through more than three quarterbacks in a season and still anticipating that season being a success. 

I think fans would also forgive a coaching staff for having a bad season that went through the first and second string qbs. 

These new rules have coaches increasing risk in some areas of the roster to ensure depth and success at others.