Pennsylvania Duck

Matt Powledge Named New Baylor Defensive Coordinator

Official Baylor Announcement...

BAYLORBEARS.COM

Matt Powledge – who spent the 2022 season as the co-defensive coordinator at Oregon following two years

Oregon Co-DC/Safeties coach Matt Powledge takes DC job at Baylor

Powledge has completed his first year at Oregon following the Ducks' 28-27 win against UNC in the Holiday Bowl and was a main fixture in the Ducks' defensive staff over the season. Powledge came to Oregon after spending the prior two seasons as Baylor's safeties coach and special teams coordinator.

Oregon's safety coach will now turnover for the third straight season, as Marcel Yates and Keith Heyward left the program in 2021 and 2020. 

247SPORTS.COM

Matt Powledge heads to Baylor.

Congratulations to Matt Powledge! 

Lanning will hopefully find another top notch recruiter to fill this void at Oregon yet again...hopefully, and perhaps more importantly, a really good coach at developing players for their position.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, JDuck said:

Lanning will hopefully find another top notch recruiter to fill this void at Oregon yet again...hopefully, and perhaps more importantly, a really good coach at developing players for their position.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I hope that they at least look at Anthony Newman (assuming that he would be interested in the position).

I think Oregon needs three things from their new safeties coach. 

1. Proven development... Prowledge had some nice hits in the past and in truth the secondary did look better as the year went on for the most part. But still need to develop that group. 

2. Recruiting... Not much to say there. 

3. Some DC expirence ... This I feel is the most important right now. Prowledge was in the box this last year and Lupoi was on the field Lupoi caught most of the criticism fairly or unfairly so as he was the bigger name. 

But this is a chance for Lanning to get someone in the box with more expirence and can hopefully help right this defensive ship. Perhaps a play caller even because this defense had some major issues. 

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2

Congrats to Matt.  I'm not sure how much of the load he was carrying as co-defensive coordinator, but it represents the loss of another high-level member of the staff.  I'm hoping for not only a great new coach/recruiter, but someone we can keep for a good stretch of time.  The ability to attract great coaches carries with it the likelihood they'll get poached and move on to bigger opportunities, but stability is also important.  Observing Utah over the years (I've lived in Salt Lake City since graduating from Oregon), coaching stability is one thing they've really benefited from. 

Congratulations Coach Powledge. Thank you for your time at Oregon.

I have faith DL will find a very capable coach to fill this void. It is not hard to find coaching talent when they see the players on this roster. Take your time coach and make the right hire for your system. No rush.

For a head coach, it's getting so that the regular season is the quietest time of the year. The portal, NLI, NIL, coaching poaching, recruiting...the "off" season was never so mis-named.

• Thumbs Up 3

Congrats to Matt and this is something we may have to deal with yearly. Nick Saban’s staff is raided yearly and he always manages to find replacements of equal or greater skill. 

Talent recognizes talent!!!

I believe Lanning will do the same thing as Saban, he may be green as a HC but he knows how to evaluate talent (coaches and players)!

I’m sure he had a list of guys in his pocket the moment Matt said he was being considered / interviewing for the Baylor DC. My guess is we will hear names leak over the next few days and see a hire in the next 1-3 weeks… Lanning isn’t going to drag his feet, needs the new guy on site and acclimating with the staff and players NOW!

I may be sick in the head but I love this stuff! It’s the way to separate the good programs from the great programs! Yes… we are on our way to being a GREAT program! Sit down, buckle up and grab you “back side” we are in for a hell of an exciting ride! 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

When you have a staff of young, precocious wunderkinds this is bound to happen.  

Can't really blame them for being upwardly mobile and much of their success can be attributed to Lanning's system, which means he'll find someone just as good (or better) to replace them with.

Edited by noDucknewby

Props to Baylor for waiting til AFTER our bowl game to announce it.  

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Two coaches in one season. Ouch. Is continuity that important or if you can coach, you can coach. Does this hurt us?

I have never been a coach or in the game that much. I was just wondering what the guys out there who have, think about it.