Log Haulin

Targeting Rule Needs to be Fixed

Georgia play was not targeting IMO. Pac refs got it wrong but replay fixed it. TCU got away with one.

I don't think CFP wants targeting called. Especially in the semi where a player risks disqualification that possibly bleeds into the NC game.

I know we have talked about this rule ad infinitum. But the penalty for targeting need a serious overhaul. 

Get rid of the disqualification of offending player. 15 yards and auto 1st down. Other than Fusky DB's (lol), nobody is trying to target others purposefully. 

On 1/1/2023 at 10:50 AM, Log Haulin said:

I respectfully disagree. In fact, wholeheartedly disagree. 

While there is room for an 'accidental targeting', it by and large lends itself to training from the coach's level. You Never drop your head and put it in a 'Spear' mode. Never. You can lead with your shoulder. Everyone knows where they are trying to hit and from what stand point. Even a Bang Bang play can be shoulder induced like the one in the end of the end zone. 

Targeting, by definition, is a crown of the helmet hit and is nearly 100% intentional. Again, the recipient can move into play by dropping his body and the offender is clueless to the split second move, but, the offender shouldn't have gone in 'Blind' in the first place. Paralizing can happen when you blindly tackle your opponent. It's poor form and poor coaching.

Why? Because the Coachs can create culture within the program to play hard and use technique to impose your will. Thinking of the safety of all those on the field should be paramount in every teams culture. Targeting isn't 'Playing the game'. It's ruthless and endangers everyone involved. 

Now, a hard tackle that removes a cleat is another story. The odds of becoming paralyzed are nearly nil. Also, the defender of such a hit has a reasonable chance to defend himself. 

Now for my own rant to the netherworld;

Ejection for targeting. If the kid is carted off the field and doesn't return? Ejection for 4 games. This will instill discipline in the culture of College Football Teams. After all, there is a massive outcry for the well-being of kids and the travel across the U.S. right?

Well, ......?

Ducks get called for targeting a lot. I don't see Lanning as the type of guy that promotes targeting culturally. Ducks aren't out there trying to end guys. Targeting happens.

Most targeting calls come down to seconds and inches. Players trying to make a play. Often it's the ball carrier lowering his head to initiate contact, the defensive player gets ejected when contact was initiated by offensive player.

IMO, most targeting infractions are unintended. Disqualification is automatic. Seems like an unnecessary hard line.

When the NCAA isn't even consistent on what is and isn't targeting from conf to conf or game to game, it's a problem. Disqualification as a hard rule shouldn't be imposed until the NCAA gets a handle on how conferences flag targeting with some consistency. 

Nix was crowned in the legs... no call. Is it just offensive players they are protecting or should they be protecting defensive players as well. Nix wasn't hit in head/neck, so crown is legal there.

The rule makes no sense at times, but the penalty is harsh every time.

Targeting rules are necessary for any governing body of football. Lawsuits due to injuries incurred while playing happen all the time.

A governing body must try to mitigate injuries by establishing rules. If penalties were to be decreased in anything dealing with head trauma injuries…good luck defending against all the class action lawsuits that follow. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The NCAA recently announced changes to the targeting rule. These changes are not yet in effect, but...

My thoughts on the matter and with a potential solution. The targeting rule is about the NCAA trying to look like they care about player safety while not actually doing much about it. 

Sre the targeting rule has changed the way players tackle and that's good for their health but it's a rule that is out of date with the problem. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If we are going by what refs have decided over this season, I'd say that there should have been a targeting penalty enforced against TCU at the end of the Fiesta Bowl. Michigan got hosed there (and several times before), but I am fine with the penalty not being meted out, because it did not affect the play, and because it was iffy and in an important moment. Which gets me to what I think about targeting...

1) The punishment is usually too harsh

2) If nobody is hurt, it should be a 15 yard penalty at best

3) If a player is somewhat hurt, or if the targeting was "on purpose," then the league should suspend the player for one half after they scrutinize the aftermath after the game

4) If a player targets another player in an extremely dangerous way, and the injured player is carted to the locker room, the offender should be tossed from the game, and subject to further punishment by the league after the game, but not exceeding 1 game

5) Video replay refs should have instructions where the "tie" goes to the player being accused of targeting

6) Field refs should be instructed not to be "quick to throw a flag for targeting," if they didn't see it clearly- no call

7) Coaches should be given one targeting challenge flag per half for times the field refs missed the call, and video refs can not send an alert to review to the field judges if there was no whistle on the play

Edited by 2002duck
word
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryan Day came out and stated that the hit changed the game...as his star receiver was in concussion protocol the rest of the game. So not targeting, but the player is injured trying to catch the ball?

Don't get me wrong--I was pulling for the Bulldogs, but I wanted them to win against all of Ohio State's players.

Ohio State's Marvin Harrison Jr. on sideline after taking hit to the head |  NBC4 WCMH-TV

Mr. FishDuck

I can’t believe that defensive players are still lowering their heads when tackling.

How many years has targeting been in effect? How hard is it to look up when tackling?

I think they need to revisit the rules when the offensive player starts to go down and the hit to the head is inadvertent.  However intentionally leading with the crown/lowering your head has no place in the modern game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Do they still teach tacklers to put their hat on the ball? Do they still teach tacklers to lower the pads, wrap and drive through the tackle?

Targeting is going to happen and should be 15 yards, automatic first down. The disqualification is excessive and does nothing to mitigate targeting.