FishDuck Article

Better Than Cristobal? The BEST First-Year Oregon HC at Recruiting: Dan Lanning

An elephant in the room for Oregon football fans was whether new Oregon head coach Dan Lanning could be the complete coach in all areas. Considering the Washington and Oregon State games–the description would be, “to be determined” as we watch his growth in 2023 as an in-game coach. For many of us though, even with the mistakes–it was an ...

FISHDUCK.COM

An elephant in the room for Oregon football fans was whether new Oregon head coach Dan Lanning could be the complete coach in all areas.
  • Go Ducks! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Now we just have to get better at exceeding the expectation we and the recruits have after being so highly sought after. I hope Lanning has picked the right guys, and they all get onboard. 

The hard work begins now, for the coaches and the players. Step one done, now step two is putting a team on the field full of players who exceed all expectations!

Who will the leaders be, who will be the surprises at this next level? Recruiting is great, but we have seen all this before, time to develop, and install Lanning Ball!

• Thumbs Up 2

As excited as I am for this upcoming season.  Year 3 of Coach Dan should be the first full realization of his progrum vision.

Thanks, Charles, DZNC, Darren, Joshua, Alex and Drex for another great season of articles and ponder points.  Apologies for any contributors I have accidentally omitted....

Oh, and the mods and editors, too!

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 6

I am still so amazed at what he has done.  Talk about catching fire at the end!

Lanning and Nix_Fox Sports Video (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

So far, as a fan, following the journey and evolution of Dan Lanning as a head coach has been positive, exciting and fun. This young man and his staff have proved that they are elite reruiters.

That part for me is no longer in the "to be determined" category. Unlike any previous Oregon HC and staff, DL has NIL money to sweeten the pot. Not to mention the annual wild wild west scenario of the transfer portal. This allows HC's to reshape their roster and fill needs every season. Top 10 recruiting classes and portal classes should be the norm for DL and staff. Exciting times and OBD's are in great hands.

One season, IMHO, is not enough to judge DL and his staff on their player development or coaching decisions. As fans we were certainly baffled by a few decisions in the Washington game. And the last 20 minutes against the Beavers. (I am throwing out the Georgia game and placing it in the "WTH Category".

After the Georgia beatdown the Ducks played 12 games. Making coaching decisions on maybe 1500 offensive and defensive snaps.  Yet i feel DL and staff only made less than a dozen critical decisions. However those decisions, coupled with poor player performance and decision making took the luster off what could have been a great season. The PAC title and CFP were in the grasp. Time and  games will give us more answers in 2023.

So we shall see what improvement DL and staff make in 2023. Will the linebackers improve with player development or will we discover that Sewell and Flowe refused to buy in to their roles. Or did these 5 star talents lack the specific skill set to fit DL's scheme? We will soon find out if DL can recruit and develope the necessary talent to field a SEC type defense. (TS And the TT Red Raiders will be testing OBD's all over the field next September. Not to mention 2 QB's in the PAC who will be taken in the 1st round of the NFL Draft).

It's a great time to be a Duck and I am confident that Coach Dan Lanning will improve his in game decisions and coupled with top level recruits win PAC Titles.

The coaching improvement is still in the "to be detetmined category".

The only question, for me, is can they develope the players and coach them into a CFP caliber team? Can they make the right critical in game decisions that bring victory? Time will tell......

I am confident DL and staff have higher expectations for their team than i do. These are vibrant, goal orientated and driven competitors. You know DL wants another Natty Ring on his fingers.

Aren't you excited for the journey?

• Like 1

Lanning has proven to to be just as  good of a recruiter as our previous head coaches and is already a better game day coach than Mario (not a high bar).  

He just needs to be a little more conservative for going for it on 4th down, particularly on Oregon’s side of the field. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Stars can dazzle and get in the way of what’s important: the heart and desire of the player behind those stars. The evidence suggests Mario was more about the dazzle, and while the jury is still out on Dan, it feels like his focus is on stars that go to work.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Lanning landing Nix coming out of the gate is still the biggest fish to date. 

Time will tell but DL is showing huge chops on the trail. He has used the portal to turn this roster into his team. 

Portal is a great tool too shed 4 and 5* who wash out (JF). This Duck staff has been moving hard on recruits and portal. Super aggressive 

Malchow will prove his brilliance it he can balance 85 scholarships with the level they are getting  commitments.

On 1/7/2023 at 6:03 PM, Log Haulin said:

Malchow will prove his brilliance it he can balance 85 scholarships with the level they are getting  commitments.

I am working on an article for Monday explaining how Oregon will get to the 85 scholarship limit...

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Good luck with that Charles.

• Let’s hope! 1