Babyjesus615

Justin Herbert Contract Prediction...Wowza!

BOLTBEAT.COM

The LA Chargers have some business to take care of with Justin Herbert and just received the bill.

10 years $510 million!

Justin Herbert is looking like he's headed towards the largest football contract ever conceived. Perks of moving the team to Los Angeles I guess. But if you are Herbert do you really want to hitch your wagon to the Chargers for the next decade?

What are your thought?

• Wow 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Good for Justin!

What also is truly amazing is it likely will not change his personality much. So proud of this Duck!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hate to say this but if they spend that kind of money on one guy then they may never win a playoff game. I don’t see him handicapping a team like that but who knows. The Chargers need help in a lot of areas. However it works out his family is set for life and then some. Good luck Justin been a blast watching you sling it around.

• Thumbs Up 2

No player in any sport should ever receive a contract longer than 5 years.  It is 100% silly.  Do some guys deserve it, yep.  However, things change so fast, it is terrible business practice.  Like Just Ducky said, it would severely handicap the Chargers.  Justin is that valuable to that team, but we have seen what paying 1 guy so much does to the overall team.  

The guy is a cheater, but Tom Brady never took too much.  His highest average salary was this year at 25 mil.  15th highest this season.  Half of Rodgers and Wilson.

On 1/26/2023 at 8:27 AM, Tandaian said:

No player in any sport should ever receive a contract longer than 5 years.  It is 100% silly.  Do some guys deserve it, yep.  However, things change so fast, it is terrible business practice.  Like Just Ducky said, it would severely handicap the Chargers.  Justin is that valuable to that team, but we have seen what paying 1 guy so much does to the overall team.  

The guy is a cheater, but Tom Brady never took too much.  His highest average salary was this year at 25 mil.  15th highest this season.  Half of Rodgers and Wilson.

Most of these numbers are inflated and not what they really receive, and the salary cap just increases. This will be the normal salary for an average starting quarterback and will be a bargain in 6 or 7 years. Look at mahomes’ salary. Blew everyone away and now isn’t sniffing the top of the list. 

I remember when Big Ben took a couple pay cuts during his career. One such cut was to keep AB happy. Look how that turned out for the Steelers. It’s a double edged sword for sure. Ben still got his money just spread it out a little.

As long as corporate America gets to deduct the sponsorship of teams or ticket prices off their income taxes then this mad dash for cash will never stop climbing. It just drives most of us to the television set instead of the stadiums. Even going down to Autzen to watch a game and tailgate is becoming very expensive and the Casual fan is rapidly getting priced out. But Where would we be without Uncle Phil.

Guess I’m done ranting.

• Thumbs Up 1

And much of this isn’t guaranteed. Glad Justin is doing well. What most people get paid has nothing to do with merit. Sports is probably as close to meritocracy as humans will ever get. 

"Chargers QB Justin Herbert Has Shoulder Surgery"

With the way the Chargers allowed Justin to get utterly trashed this season by the defense, I'd suggest Justin get most of that as guaranteed cash.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35552735/chargers-qb-justin-herbert-surgery-repair-torn-labrum

I can hear Justin, 'I don't care about how big the contract is, sell me on your plan to win. When you convince me how you're going to win, then we can talk about a longterm contract, and the zeros.'

Who knows he may not sign a longterm deal and just get his contract extended, still make about $30 million. This way he keeps his options open. A 10 year contract on a losing team while getting thrashed doesn't sound like a good idea. 

• Thumbs Up 1