Pennsylvania Duck

From the Transfer Portal: S/Nickel Tysheem Johnson is a Duck

Former Ole Miss safety Tysheem Johnson commits to transfer to Oregon Ducks

The Oregon Ducks are adding another defender from the SEC.

Former Ole Miss safety Tysheem Johnson committed to transfer to Oregon on Wednesday.

Johnson, who has two seasons of eligibility remaining, had 78 tackles with four for loss and

two pass breakups over 13 games with nine starts last season for the Rebels.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Oregon Ducks are adding another defender from the SEC.
  • Thanks 1

Former Ole Miss safety Tysheem Johnson commits to Oregon Ducks

Johnson, a two-year starter with the Rebels, was in Eugene for a visit over the weekend. He comes to the Ducks

at a major position of need, and is the second safety that the team has added via the portal this offseason.

The former Rebel plays more of a nickel safety position, rather than free safety, which is not something that the

Ducks have much of on the current roster.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Ducks got another big player out of the transfer portal, this time Ole Miss safety Tysheem Johnson.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon has landed another member to its transfer portal class, as former Ole Miss safety Tysheem Johnson committed to the Ducks on Wednesday afternoon.#SCODUCKS????????

Wow!  The experience in the secondary is going to be tremendous. Bridges, Manning and the Alabama transfer at corner, the senior Fresno State transfer and now this two-year starter at safety?

I guess Miami/Mario wanted him too!

200.gif

• Go Ducks! 1

Mr. FishDuck

Transfer Profile: 5 things to know about Oregon's new safety Tysheem Johnson

While there will likely be more players that the Ducks add via the portal this offseason,

Johnson should be seen as one of the biggest wins for the Ducks.

Here’s 5 things that you need to know about him going forward...

1. 1. He would have led Oregon in tackling in 2022
  2. 2. Johnson Fills a Major Need
  3. 3. Has 2 Years of Eligibility Remaining
  4. 4. Chose Ducks Over Mario Cristobal and Miami
  5. 5. Johnson Named to SEC All-Freshman Team in 2021

Read about all the particulars above in the article below...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Who is Tysheem Johnson? Get to know the former SEC All-Freshman who committed to Oregon on Wednesday.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now we’re talking!!

A more talented version of Boyett, maybe?

One piece at a time, building that, D

ThinkstockPhotos-93243699-500x300.jpg

When we get these portal players it would be nice to be able to read about why they entered the portal. It seems to never be included in news blurbs.

Very satisfying to pull Tysheem from Miami. Perhaps the conversation went something like this…

Staff….Dan, we have arranged transportation for Tysheem Johnson to come to Eugene. The biggest hurdle we have to signing him is that he will be visiting Miami afterwards. 

Dan…Hold my beer. 

On 1/26/2023 at 6:05 AM, 2002duck said:

When we get these portal players it would be nice to be able to read about why they entered the portal. It seems to never be included in news blurbs.

I'm guessing we never will.  For players who weren't getting playing time or who transfer much closer to home, the reasons seem pretty obvious.  For starters or regular players, I doubt many of the reasons would have a positive spin.  Things like:

• I didn't really like my coaches
  • I didn't really like the system
  • I can get more NIL money at my new school
  • I didn't get enough chances to be a star at my old school
  • I saw some upcoming recruits or transfers who'll probably be taking my playing time

While those are legit reasons in a world where every player needs to look out for himself, they probably wouldn't go over real positively with a lot of people.  Same thing when we see a trade in the NFL - the coach and GM always say what a great player he was and wish him well on his new team.  You never hear, "Well, he was a bad locker room guy, dogged it in practice all the time, and had an attitude problem.  Plus we heard rumors of drug use.  So we're better off without him."

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 1/26/2023 at 2:12 AM, Kurt Rambis said:

I doubt many of the reasons would have a positive spin.

Yeah, well that's kind of my issue. We're smack dab in the middle of the I-5 corridor in Oregon, so it's not like many, if any, of these players are coming closer to home. And if we're touting their abilities so much, why would they be scared of 17, 18, and 19 year-olds taking their spots? If it's about NIL money, then that's fine by me. I'm not paying those bills, and their time is ticking- they need to perform to make it to the NFL with two years of eligibility left to prove it.

When it comes to super seniors, it makes a lot of sense for me to check something new out if you aren't getting drafted. Travis Dye isn't getting drafted, and neither will Cam McCormick- in my opinion. But I don't want those type of guys through the portal. I only want guys that are using the Ducks to get a better path to the NFL. So, getting guys from somewhere like Fresno State makes sense, because we are high profile. Getting guys from South Carolina that have already proven themselves is more confusing.

What Tysheem Johnson's Commitment Means for Oregon Football

The Ducks gained a physical defender from the SEC that should help them drastically next season.

Coming to Oregon we could expect Johnson to play more of a Nickel-type role, just as he did during his time with Lane Kiffin and the Rebels. One of his best attributes is his ability to defend the run and cover more physical tight ends and running backs out of the backfield. Tight ends became an issue for the Ducks in some areas last season and that's one area Johnson can aid this defense.

Watching the tape from last season, you can see the relentlessness he brings as a defender just by flying to the ball. Bringing in 78 total tackles as an SEC defender is not something every player can do and Lanning hit it on the mark when he secured Johnson's commitment.

WWW.SI.COM

The Ducks add a physical defender from the SEC to their secondary in 2023.

• Applause 1