TECH FAN

Apparently if Oregon, Washington, ASU or UA, plus Stanford or Utah Join the BIG12, Each School Could Make Over $45M?

Question would $45 million per year make OU, Washington, ASU Plus one jump the the BIG12? 

Sure.  Cite your source, give us a link.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

TECH FAN, thats a great question. Do you have any articles to share that may show those potential numbers?

I guess we would find out if the 10 remaining PAC members are a band of brothers

Or

Money grabbing, back stabbers like the 2 spineless traitors in SoCal.

For 45 million probably the latter!

• Thumbs Up 1

THIS sure looks like 'voodoo' math unless the remaining and new B12 members would be willing to take a lesser piece of the pie. 

After stealing LA I don't think FOX is interested in Pac-12 football. Big check for ESPN to write for the OR, UW, UT, CU, AZ, and ASU inventory of games. 

This # has to factor in a big-time investment by a streaming service(s). Most of these companies are laying off employees left and right. I do think Amazon will be a part of the Pac-12 media deal but I don't see Amazon overpaying or paying anywhere close to what it paid the NFL.

But I would love this 'merger' IF it resulted in this final number.

• Thumbs Up 2

Canzano just answered this (below) in his weekly QA.  Teams in the PAC will make more money staying. 

Q: Would Oregon, Washington, ASU, plus Stanford make more in the new Big 12? Currently the Big 12 will make $31.7M per school. How much would the number go up to if they left the Pac-12? — @davidlfloyd4

A: Nobody is leaving the Pac-12 for the Big 12. Anyone speculating like that isn’t sourced. Conference insiders tell me they expect the average annual per-school distribution in the Pac-12 to beat the Big 12’s media-rights number. I wrote a piece on the media-rights value of Pac-12 members in the summer and revisited this week in print.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Your questions. My answers.

• Thanks 2

Oregon and Washington will not go to the BIG 12. It's not all about money. We absolutely will go to the B1G, though. I'd rather see Oregon go independent than join the BIG 12.

Edited by 2002duck

I still think the PAC12 should invite Kansas, Oklahoma St, Texas Tech, Houston, tcu and SDSU. That's a solid 16.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder what the payout will be for winning the larger playoff format? Maybe it would be smarter to stay in a smaller regional conference and go after the big prize?

The SEC already has an advantage by playing a shorter league season and the top teams, more home games. 

A brutal travel schedule against some tough competition may not be the best plan if you look at the long game. If you want to win the National Title, in the larger format, you will need to recruit depth, and come out of your league ready to play a few rounds of tough games. 

This is where sc, and cla may have made a mistake. Chase after the short term money, and become marginalized.

Edited by Haywarduck
Why does spellcheck always change to Fricken?
  • Thumbs Up 3

One of the perceived benefits of expanding the number of conference members was a possible high profile championship game to enhance your resume.  With the twelve team format on the horizon I don't see an advantage of playing an extra late season contest against a quality opponent.  A season ending gauntlet of a traditional rivalry game, conference championship game and then possibly four playoff games without an emotional letdown is a lot to ask.  Add in college finals, a lot of travel and general holiday angst.

Meanwhile the elite will get a first round bye.  Doesn't a smaller conference with a round robin schedule and no title game accomplish nearly the same?  Is having a fourteen or sixteen member conference really a benefit?

• Thumbs Up 1