NJDuck

Canzano: Pac-12 Punches Back with Statement on Unity

"The Pac-12 Conference issued a written statement from its 10 remaining presidents and chancellors on Monday. 

It read:"

“The 10 Pac-12 universities look forward to consummating successful media rights deal(s) in the very near future. Based upon positive conversations with multiple potential media rights partners over the past weeks, we remain highly confident in our future growth and success as a conference and united in our commitment to one another.”

"The statement amounts to a curious public-relations punch from the 10 conference stakeholders, designed to combat some criticism and uncertainty unearthed last week by a variety of media outlets."

"One Pac-12 source said: “Some of the media narrative on that is not accurate.”

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Conference says it's "highly confident" in future growth.

I'll just leave this here:

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you are out schlepping schools to get more games in the inventory, and they are not top-tier teams....

You ran into a Snag?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I like JC's thought: GET A DEAL DONE!

Until all have signed the bottom line of a new media deal everything is conjecture and hearsay.

I do believe the conference will hold together and be competitive.

But talking is cheap.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fact that you have to release a statement confirming unity, speaks volumes about the division amongst the remaining members. I am now alarmed more than ever and fearful that the PAC will dissolve, or at bear minimum be unrecognizable. 

It's difficult to know what to make of the PAC'S statement. We have been told for months that the 10 schools were united and working together for the best media rights package available!

So what changed? What was the need for a "Unity Statement"? WTH...

On the surface, the only change has been, now the PAC is more active on the expansion front BEFORE the media deal.

Something must be going on behind the scenes that caused this statement to be released. Could be good, could be bad, could be nothing!

But consider the importance of replacing 13 or 14 less home games due to the lost inventory from the departure of the 2 traitors. Those games are lost revenue that should be replaced. At the least, the expansion teams provide a bargaining chip in negotiations with networks.

Either way, stay together, split up, expand or go alone! Just do something.......

Happy, patience is a virtue? I'm hoping for the best but slow-walking everything seems to be the conference mantra. 

The conference leaders need to get on board like the SEC and the academically sound B1G leaders have done. If you are not "all-in" Moneyball titles will not follow. 

Oregon will be fine in the long run. However, several members of the conference for whatever reason are not all-in. Unlike CU which recently changed its transfer credit requirements to support the hiring of Deion Sanders, a number of schools do not seem willing to make the changes to compete in today's world of CFB, and CBB. Oregon getting the same revenue share as these schools is galling. 

What happened to Stanford football and basketball? What happened to CAL basketball? Does anyone at Stanford or CAL give a whip? 

You can have fine academics and also have competitive teams. Check out the number of applicants for admission to Alabama before Saban's run and the number now. Many of these 'new' applications come from out-of-state students who pay full tuition. A rising Tide has lifted all boats in Tuscaloosa.

I haven't checked the number but my guess is since the Oregon brand with the help of NIKE went national and global that applications for admission and donations have soared. 

It is frustrating but at this point in time all we can do is exercise patience.

Since George is a Media-Man, I will assume he knows how bad this is looking for the conference and for his image.

What I do not know is whether this is in reaction to what has been written, or he is being pro-active to something new emerging?

Mr. FishDuck

The dreaded “letter of unity”. Next comes the “dear john”. We’re doomed😀

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:29 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Since George is a Media-Man, I will assume he knows how bad this is looking for the conference and for his image.

What I do not know is whether this is in reaction to what has been written, or he is being pro-active to something new emerging?

Written and released by the conference.

I have seen this movie before.  Remember when John Marinatto and the Big East issued a statement about the Big East members being "committed" right before the conference collapsed?  Buckle up!  

WWW.ESPN.COM

Big East commissioner John Marinatto says all the members of his conference are committed to staying together.

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 2/14/2023 at 9:01 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Written and released by the conference.

Right.  And as a very intelligent group...are they responding to what has been written, or to what will emerge?  We will find out soon.

Here comes one of the

smart guys now...   (With ESPN in the background)

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

What if UO and Fuskies just started talking with a couple top B12 teams about forming a new conference when the B12 media contract expired? With a nucleus of UO, UW, UU, Ok St and TCU, I’m sure a solid competitive conference of 12-14 schools could be formed.

I’d say taking this type of direction would be best in the long term and then whatever you get out of the upcoming contract wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

If both the Pac and B12 stay on the current course, years of receiving half or less than B10 and SEC schools will leave us being not much more than the Mountain West Conference. 

I think we are looking “Go big or go home” directly in the eye and I don’t trust the Pac leadership at all at this point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reminds me of when Larry assured us that the P12 Network would be available to everyone, how'd that work out?

Secretly hoping we all look like a bunch of Nervous Nellie Chicken Littles when the new deal is announced ha ha.

Edited by noDucknewby

On 2/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, GeotechDuck said:

I have seen this movie before.  Remember when John Marinatto and the Big East issued a statement about the Big East members being "committed" right before the conference collapsed?  Buckle up!  

WWW.ESPN.COM

Big East commissioner John Marinatto says all the members of his conference are committed to staying together.

While I continue to believe OREGON will be fine there is no doubt that the barbarians from the B12 are at the gates.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/14/2023 at 11:48 AM, Jon Joseph said:

While I continue to believe OREGON will be fine there is no doubt that the barbarians from the B12 are at the gates.  

If UA or ASU jumped, it would be interesting to see if UO and UW would make a play for the BIG-12 or if they would try and stay put.  That's a HUGE decision.  Big-12 buyout is $100M now, so you are likely giving up the BIG dream.  But if you stay and the BIG invite never comes.....Yikes!  

Edited by GeotechDuck

On 2/14/2023 at 10:23 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

What if UO and Fuskies just started talking with a couple top B12 teams about forming a new conference when the B12 media contract expired? With a nucleus of UO, UW, UU, Ok St and TCU, I’m sure a solid competitive conference of 12-14 schools could be formed.

I’d say taking this type of direction would be best in the long term and then whatever you get out of the upcoming contract wouldn’t be that big of a deal.

If both the Pac and B12 stay on the current course, years of receiving half or less than B10 and SEC schools will leave us being not much more than the Mountain West Conference. 

I think we are looking “Go big or go home” directly in the eye and I don’t trust the Pac leadership at all at this point.

I agree and think it was a mistake by the two leagues to not look at merging these past 2 years.  That was a huge missed opportunity.  The BIG-12 GOR is $100M per school, outside of the media rights deal.  IIRC, if you want out at any time, you now have to come up with $100M.  

On 2/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, GeotechDuck said:

If UA or ASU jumped, it would be interesting to see if UO and UW would make a play for the BIG-12 or if they would try and stay put.  That's a HUGE decision.  Big-12 buyout is $100M now, so you are likely giving up the BIG dream.  But if you stay and the BIG invite never comes.....Yikes!  

That was the agreed-upon buyout for OK/TX. I do not think this number applies to the new media deal and I'm not sure the new media deal has been officially agreed to by all B12 members.

Not too long ago, Texas Tech among others was desperate to join the Pac-12. Shot down with USC Prez Folt leading the way. (Man I'd love to know if SC was already playing footsie with Warren and the B1G when the vote occured?) The Power 5 would have gone to the Power 4 and the Pac-20 would have been golden.

In the interim the Oregon prez left for Northwestern and a discouraging word never comes out of Mullens' mouth.

FOX manipulated the LA schools departure and Kevin Warren and by extension the entire B1G lied to the ACC and the Pac-12. Yet, other than for the CA trustees no one raised a peep as did Bob Bowlsby when ESPN raided OK/TX from the B12.

IMO, if UW, OR, CU, Utah, ASU and AZ went in concert to KS, K-St, OK St, TX Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston and Iowa State there could be a realistic shot at forming a strong western conference. One that could negotiate with ESPN, FOX and others and bring in more than the B12's $31.7M a year. But it's academia so it isn't going to happen. The only way to close the gap with the B1G and the SEC is for western teams to unify and reduce the Power 5 to the Power 4.

The Oregon brand is strong and I'm hoping for the best but I wish the stronger Pac-12 programs would push harder for a logical, mutually beneficial and financially viable deal for the western schools.

BTW, if the Pac-12 is too 'elite' to associate with B12 schools why are so many games including Oregon's next 6 P5 OOC games scheduled with the B12? Let CAL and Stanford join the Ivy League.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Great post! 1

On 2/14/2023 at 3:53 PM, Jon Joseph said:

That was the agreed-upon buyout for OK/TX. I do not think this number applies to the new media deal and I'm not sure the new media deal has been officially agreed to by all B12 members.

Not too long ago, Texas Tech among others was desperate to join the Pac-12. Shot down with USC Prez Folt leading the way. (Man I'd love to know if SC was already playing footsie with Warren and the B1G when the vote occured?) The Power 5 would have gone to the Power 4 and the Pac-20 would have been golden.

In the interim the Oregon prez left for Northwestern and a discouraging word never comes out of Mullens' mouth.

FOX manipulated the LA schools departure and Kevin Warren and by extension the entire B1G lied to the ACC and the Pac-12. Yet, other than for the CA trustees no one raised a peep as did Bob Bowlsby when ESPN raided OK/TX from the B12.

IMO, if UW, OR, CU, Utah, ASU and AZ went in concert to KS, K-St, OK St, TX Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston and Iowa State there could be a realistic shot at forming a strong western conference. One that could negotiate with ESPN, FOX and others and bring in more than the B12's $31.7M a year. But it's academia so it isn't going to happen. The only way to close the gap with the B1G and the SEC is for western teams to unify and reduce the Power 5 to the Power 4.

The Oregon brand is strong and I'm hoping for the best but I wish the stronger Pac-12 programs would push harder for a logical, mutually beneficial and financially viable deal for the western schools.

BTW, if the Pac-12 is too 'elite' to associate with B12 schools why are so many games including Oregon's next 6 P5 OOC games scheduled with the B12? Let CAL and Stanford join the Ivy League.

Modifying my post as it appears you are correct.  Teams can jump after the next media deal expires. 

Edited by GeotechDuck

As Pac-12 pursues media deal, Oregon/Washington to the Big Ten is picking up steam

It has to deal with dollars, competition, and to be completely honest, greed.

The topic is conference realignment, and after both Oklahoma and Texas announced they were leaving the Big 12 for the SEC a couple of years ago, and both USC and UCLA did the same, jumping from the Pac-12 for the Big Ten, it’s been a subject that has consumed the sport.

For the Oregon Ducks, it’s also a topic that might be picking up some steam once again.

At the center of it all is money, and as Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff works to secure a new media rights deal for the conference with a TV partner, a lot of ramifications hinge in the balance...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Rumors about Oregon leaving for the Big Ten have been on the back burner for several months. They might be picking up some...