lownslowav8r

All Charges Against Traeshon Holden Dropped

After interviewing more witnesses, viewing police body-cam video, and outside video, all charges dropped by DA. Now what will Oregon do?

https://www.kezi.com/news/lane-county-d-a-no-charges-against-former-uo-football-player-traeshon-holden/article_59edc812-af2b-11ed-85e7-0be025c377e9.html

Holden should get benefit of doubt. However, Presumption of innocents only applies in court of law in this day and age 🤔. Public opinion not so much.

Lanning should sit down with Holden and have a serious talk. Ask some pointed questions. Get a good read on what happened. 

Lanning is not the courts and is not obligated to let Holden back on the team. I do think if Holden truly did no wrong he should be given an opportunity to play.

Could come back to bite DL  if he lets Holden back, but right is right. I hope this young man is in fact innocent.

Problem is that there has been smoke more than once surrounding Holden. Tough position this kid is putting himself and others in.

For the rest of the team, be careful of who you run around with. It could cost you your future.

On 2/18/2023 at 5:05 AM, Log Haulin said:

Lanning is not the courts and is not obligated to let Holden back on the team. I do think if Holden truly did no wrong he should be given an opportunity to play

He is very likely innocent. I hope he and Lanning will meet and talk this through, carefully. Lanning is now in a bind. No matter what he does he will be criticized. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't forget that Holden has been on campus for six weeks.  We have absolutely no idea how his attitude and interactions with staff and teammates has been, Lanning does.  Maybe this was a case of a young coach overreacting, maybe this was a case of the final straw in a series of inappropriate actions by a player.  Maybe it is somewhere in between, we will never know.

Lanning has shown good judgement in his short tenure and has more information on this incident than most.  I'll trust him on this.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Assuming there are no other issues (something we on the outside will never know), he should be reinstated to the team.

On 2/18/2023 at 10:56 AM, jrw said:

Assuming there are no other issues (something we on the outside will never know), he should be reinstated to the team.

My problem with his reinstatement is why does he feel it necessary to carry a gun with him? I haven't been in Eugene in 3 years, but I am sure it has not become crime infested and necessary for a young man to carry a gun. If he is associating with people that he thinks he needs to carry a gun, that is bad news too. Just because charges are dropped doesn't mean he is without blame and I can't see this being healthy for a locker room.  

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1

I would suppose that DL has already discussed the situation with Sabin. Nick or his coaching staff can probably get more information to Lanning on Mr Holden and could assist DL in making his final decision on the character of this young man.

He obviously put himself in a bad position to get arrested in the first place and we are trying to guess what the entire situation really is but this doesn’t look good. Welcome to head coaching Dan.

The gun issue is likely the deciding factor. Even if all charges, including menacing are dropped, and the legality of possessing a registered firearm not in question, it is a toxic atmosphere for the team. 

DL's response the morning it all happened was swift, uncertain and appeared to be final. There is obviously more here than has been aired in the media. I don't see a viable way back to the team for Holden that doesn't involve bad optics for Lanning and Oregon. 

• Go Ducks! 1

Too many unknowns for us to really have an informed opinion, and maybe Coach Lanning too. The problem is if Lanning didn't have enough info to make his decision. Right now it is just a bad look for everyone involved. 

I'm glad Lanning has established he has zero tolerance for any monkey business. The problem there may have been zero going on. You also want to be a coach who has the players backs.

On 2/18/2023 at 12:21 PM, cartm25 said:

Either way, my advice: WAIT for all information before deciding.

This might be another "learning lesson" for our young head coach.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Guns are a hot topic and it's hard for a coach to tolerate the distraction to the team.

Like many of these incidences involving players they should have never put them self in the situation in the first place. It's rare but it does happen where it was actually no fault of their own in which case the player should be reinstated and the team told exactly why.

If he hadn't been a transfer I believe that coaching staff would have taken a little more time. But in this case it's nothing ventured nothing lost. Kind of like the guy that shows up late on their first day of work.

If Holden didn't commit a crime, which the prosecutor doesn't seem to believe they can prove, then that only leaves possession of a firearm.

Holden is an adult and a citizen of the United States. Dismissing him because he owns a firearm leaves the University in legal jeopardy?

Regardless of how I feel about guns, or any of us feel about guns for that matter, Holden has a constitutional right to own, possess and carry a firearm. 

If it was an illegal carry then charge the man. That they are not charging him means something. Tough spot for Lanning and the University.

I am shutting this thread down, since I’ve already had two posts written that either were political, or could quickly start a political argument.

What part of “no reference of any kind to politics” do you guys not understand?

Mr. FishDuck