FishDuck Article

Time For Oregon’s NIL Collective to Toss Up Alley-oops of Cash

After two sub-par seasons, Oregon basketball should be heading into next season with some momentum. I was down on the Ducks after three starters were declared out for the NIT. It was a solid “what’s the point?” type of feeling. But, after two wins it is clear that the NIT has given an opportunity for others to shine and gain ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com is hoping that the Oregon NIL Collective know as “Divison Street” will step up for the basketball team.
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Maybe to keep Oregon in the pac the conference could give them a bigger cut for tournament wins.  Heard it’s about 2mil per game.  

Whatever it is going to take, but I would say an upgrade at point guard, and better 3 point shooting is critical.

When I saw our point guard left wide open at the three point line at the end of the first half against UCLA, and he decided to drive for two I knew it was over. We need players who are threats from the outside, and inside to be a well rounded team.

I am excited about the Jackson Shelstad era we are about to see begin!

• Thumbs Up 2

My only issues with Williams, and even Wur, are the fact that they seem to be trying too hard at times.  Leads to them rushing, which leads to mistakes.  But I like what we've seem from this team in the NIT. 

On 3/21/2023 at 8:47 AM, chrisjenn99 said:

My only issues with Williams, and even Wur, are the fact that they seem to be trying too hard at times.  Leads to them rushing, which leads to mistakes.  But I like what we've seem from this team in the NIT. 

Having been a high school bench warmer, I can relate to guys who have not seen the floor much. Yup, you come in all wired with your mind racing. But, if they enter next season as part of the rotation and get some solid minutes, that should fade away. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:18 AM, Westsalemduck said:

Maybe to keep Oregon in the pac the conference could give them a bigger cut for tournament wins.  Heard it’s about 2mil per game.  

Certainly couldn't hurt. 

On 3/21/2023 at 6:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

Whatever it is going to take, but I would say an upgrade at point guard, and better 3 point shooting is critical.

When I saw our point guard left wide open at the three point line at the end of the first half against UCLA, and he decided to drive for two I knew it was over. We need players who are threats from the outside, and inside to be a well rounded team.

I am excited about the Jackson Shelstad era we are about to see begin!

Yep, should see some improvement with that next season. 

I agree with Charles and Darren's take on the NIT observations and with the role that NIL could have to keep Ware another year to help him develop into a legit first rounder.

One of the Duck podcasts noted that keeping two of the three big men in Ware, Bittle and Dante would be a major plus for 2023-24. Bittle at the 5 and Ware at the 4 hasn't been used much in this post-season, but could be a 7ft tall inside-outside juggernaut if Altman coached it from the start of next season.

Guard play and outside shooting is the big 'what if'. Soares seems to be hitting his stride as perhaps a small forward instead of a guard. Maybe Cousinard at the 1 or 2 with one of the newcomers at the other guard. Shelstad may only be a shade over 6ft on a low gravity day at altitude, but he could slide into the 1 spot on day one, like his mentor PP. 

I love Luk Wur's defense and attitude, but watching him launch a three is a "Nooooo!" moment that turns into a "Yeah!" only 2/10 times. The fact that he even attempts the shot means the cupboard for shooters is bare. Too many Duck three pointers had that same level.of apprehension this year.

That dead eye SG or SF (think Duarte or Dorsey) was lacking this season and isn't on the current roster. Guys like Guerrier and Soares could get hot but weren't consistent and Richardson was simply asked to do too much trying to be a PG and SG at the same time.

Altman just added Jadrian Tracey, 6'6" JUCO transfer from Florida who averaged 14.4 ppg and shoots +40% from beyond the arc. He could be a plug and play at the 2 position and fill an immediate need. More shooting help and a good PG could make next season something special.

Edited by EastBayDuckDad
Misspell
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 3/21/2023 at 9:45 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

I agree with Charles and Darren's take on the NIT observations and with the role that NIL could have to keep Ware another year to help him develop into a legit first rounder.

One of the Duck podcasts noted that keeping two of the three big men in Ware, Bittle and Dante would be a major plus for 2023-24. Bittle at the 5 and Ware at the 4 hasn't been used much in this post-season, but could be a 7ft tall inside-outside juggernaut if Altman coached it from the start of next season.

Guard play and outside shooting is the big 'what if'. Soares seems to be hitting his stride as perhaps a small forward instead of a guard. Maybe Cousinard at the 1 or 2 with one of the newcomers at the other guard. Shelstad may only be a shade over 6ft on a low gravity day at altitude, but he could slide into the 1 spot on day one, like his mentor PP. 

I love Luk Wur's defense and attitude, but watching him launch a three is a "Nooooo!" moment that turns into a "Yeah!" only 2/10 times. The fact that he even attempts the shot means the cupboard for shooters is bare. Too many Duck three pointers had that same level.of apprehension this year.

That dead eye SG or SF (think Duarte or Dorsey) was lacking this season and isn't on the current roster. Guys like Guerrier and Soares could get hot but weren't consistent and Richardson was simply asked to do too much trying to be a PG and SG at the same time.

Altman just added Jadrian Tracey, 6'6" JUCO transfer from Florida who averaged 14.4 ppg and shoots +40% from beyond the arc. He could be a plug and play at the 2 position and fill an immediate need. More shooting help and a good PG could make next season something special.

It'll be exciting to see as the Ducks should be a better team next year. 

• Let’s hope! 1

I will probably rustle some feathers with the following comment.  But what the heck, I just had dental surgery on Friday, need more tomorrow, and I'm in a grumpy mood.  So......

For a bundle of reasons, the biggest improvement for the ducks next season will be the graduation of Will Richardson.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/21/2023 at 5:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

After two sub-par seasons, Oregon basketball should be heading into next season with some momentum. I was down on the Ducks after three starters were declared out for the NIT. It was a solid “what’s the point?” type of feeling. But, after two wins it is clear that the NIT has given an opportunity for others to shine and gain ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com is hoping that the Oregon NIL Collective know as “Divison Street” will step up for the basketball team.

Thanks, Darren for the great take.

Call Lexington, KY for advice. How about 'NO!'

$8.2M a year Kentucky coach Calipari has not done all that much at Kentucky except run his mouth. 3 bombed out in this season's Tourney by K State. K ST with a roster nowhere near that of Kentucky's. 

The on-court results during Calipari's time in Lexington have not that often matched the recruiting ranking 

Have to be astute at throwing money at 1 and done players straight out of high school.

It's a CBB topic so how about the way Nick Saban who suspended a freshman football player indefinitely for a marijuana arrest called out, not so impliedly or subtly, the Bama CBB coach for how he has dealt with the 'provided the weapon' situation?

Very clear that Saban believes the basketball coach completely mismanaged the situation including but not limited to saying the player was in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Saint Nick said this is not a valid excuse for anyone, anywhere, at any time.

The next coach's meeting with the Bama AD should be interesting.

GO DUCKS! Beat Wisky tonight and next season get an invite to the big dance.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 2:47 PM, Mudslide said:

I will probably rustle some feathers with the following comment.  But what the heck, I just had dental surgery on Friday, need more tomorrow, and I'm in a grumpy mood.  So......

For a bundle of reasons, the biggest improvement for the ducks next season will be the graduation of Will Richardson.

Man, I miss the good old days when dentists used laughing gas. I feel your pain, my friend.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, Mudslide said:

Richardson was a very nice young man and a decent basketball player. You need ice in your veins and spice in your heart to excel in competition. He just didn't have it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/21/2023 at 11:47 AM, Mudslide said:

I get where you are coming from. I'll first say that Richardson is a very good player and has been a great asset to the Ducks.

But, Richardson has by default been the "goto guy" for the Ducks the past two seasons. The problem is, he's just not that guy. He's a great compliment to a "goto guy." So, as the "goto guy" he wasn't very good. If he were coming back next season he'd play along with Shelstad very nicely. 

Hopefully, he can find a niche overseas and make some money for himself.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/21/2023 at 12:51 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks, Darren for the great take.

Call Lexington, KY for advice. How about 'NO!'

$8.2M a year Kentucky coach Calipari has not done all that much at Kentucky except run his mouth. 3 bombed out in this season's Tourney by K State. K ST with a roster nowhere near that of Kentucky's. 

The on-court results during Calipari's time in Lexington have not that often matched the recruiting ranking 

Have to be astute at throwing money at 1 and done players straight out of high school.

It's a CBB topic so how about the way Nick Saban who suspended a freshman football player indefinitely for a marijuana arrest called out, not so impliedly or subtly, the Bama CBB coach for how he has dealt with the 'provided the weapon' situation?

Very clear that Saban believes the basketball coach completely mismanaged the situation including but not limited to saying the player was in the wrong place at the wrong time. As Saint Nick said this is not a valid excuse for anyone, anywhere, at any time.

The next coach's meeting with the Bama AD should be interesting.

GO DUCKS! Beat Wisky tonight and next season get an invite to the big dance.

Ok, forget I mentioned Kentucky and instead wrote" (Though a bit humbling when you see that Duke has a whopping 5 of the Top 20. Yikes" )  ; )

• Applause 1