Thomallister1291

What Programs Would You Like to See the Ducks Schedule in the Future?

Recently I've been very interested in seeing how does scheduling work, especially with matchups like Ohio State vs Alabama  coming in the next few years as regular season non-conference games, but for us, the Oregon Ducks, I feel our future non-conference schedule could be improved upon.

Right now, we have 5 Power 5 opponents scheduled as home and home series: Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Michigan State and Ohio State. None of which are absolutely easy opponents that we should understimate, especially the Buckeyes, but I would like to see more diversity with teams from the SEC and ACC, as well as some traditional Big Ten powers like Penn State or Michigan.

As a result of this, I'll ask you, what's the best opponent you want to see the Ducks schedule? In my opinion, it's Alabama, a matchup that would bring tons of attention to the media, especially with how it was requested a lot back in the final years of the BCS era, and while those years are far behind, I still would love to see the Ducks play against the Crimson Tide, especially if it is in Tuscaloosa and Eugene instead of a kickoff game.

Other opponents I would love to see being scheduled are: Florida, Clemson, Notre Dame and Penn State.

But, what programs would y'all like to see being scheduled?

A nice first post here, and welcome!

I would prefer playing Alabama in the Playoff, and for that matter-I want to save playing Playoff teams for the playoffs.

We have fans from tons of schools posting here, and they add richness to our forum.  Where are you from?  What is your school?

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/28/2023 at 10:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

A nice first post here, and welcome!

I would prefer playing Alabama in the Playoff, and for that matter-I want to save playing Playoff teams for the playoffs.

We have fans from tons of schools posting here, and they add richness to our forum.  Where are you from?  What is your school?

I know this will sound generic but I'm a huge Oregon Ducks fan, albeit I consider Alabama as my second team.

BTW I actually don't live in the United States, I'm from Costa Rica and I started following the NCAA because of the mascots, but now I enjoy how entertaining the games and traditions are.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

I know this will sound generic but I'm a huge Oregon Ducks fan, albeit I consider Alabama as my second team.

BTW I actually don't live in the United States, I'm from Costa Rica and I started following the NCAA because of the mascots, but now I enjoy how entertaining the games and traditions are.

Cool-you threw me a curve with the y’all, and we welcome everyone.  Gotta love the web to bring us all together!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/28/2023 at 9:18 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

As Charles said, Welcome and nice to have you join us.

As to your question...while the idea of playing some Blue Bloods for our out of conference games is appealing. Oregon has been screwed several times attempting to schedule home and home games with teams meeting that description. I'd prefer to play good solid teams that would likely fulfill their side of the agreement. Maybe Baylor, TCU. I liked having BYU last year and look forward to Texas Tech this year. But, I feel (much like Charles) the Georgia, tOSU, or Alabama type games should be reserved for the playoff/bowl season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome!  I have loved my visits to Costa Rica (7?), but there's still so much I want to see.  I bet it's difficult to watch as much college football there as you would probably like to with regional programming.  Maybe you have a way around that.

Getting a home and home series with any Power 5 school is essential to for non-conference scheduling.  I'm leery of taking on the top dogs early in the season with our current defense, but you can't make a big splash unless you schedule the game 6-8 years out.  I'd love to schedule more traditional powers who may be struggling, but the game itself creates a lot of buzz.  Teams like Texas, Florida St., Texas A&M, Auburn, Penn St., Tennessee, South Carolina, & Florida would all be great additions to the schedule.

However, the PAC-12 still needs to address equal number of conference games played with the other Power 5 conferences.  I don't think enough people realize the significant impact this has on overall conference perception.  We've seen year after year when a stellar PAC-12 team gets knocked off on the road playing a tough 4-5 games stretch, Alabama/Auburn get a week off playing Directional State.  Half of the PAC-12 has 1 extra loss each year.  In the end, the middle have of the SEC has 2-4 losses each and STAY in the Top 25, while the middle of the PAC-12 has 3-5 losses each and MISS the Top 25.  Winning head-to-head on the field is job 1, but the number of ranked teams in a conference also has a significant impact on perception of conference strength.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oregon State after we go to the B1G. 

• Haha 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:08 PM, 2002duck said:

Oregon State after we go to the B1G. 

That would have the same energy as the Iowa vs Iowa State games, if Oregon State remains a Power 5 opponent when we join that conference, we will never be able to schedule another P5 opponent so meeting against contenders like Alabama would only happen in the playoffs, but hey, at least we will preserve our most important rivalry.

Great question and welcome to the Forum!

If the PAC ends up with more streaming games than linear then these would be my preferences.

1. Go to an 8 game conference schedule.

2. Schedule home and homes with P5 opponents that get OBD's on national linear tv. This can be done without scheduling Bama, The Real Dawgs and tOSU. We need the exposure and should schedule opponents ranked 5 thru 20.

3. However, if winning the PAC gets us into the expanded playoff then schedule the big dogs, too. As long as the money is $5 million plus,and we dont have to share the revenue. Actually all PAC teams shouldn't have to share revenue for non conference games.

4. Every school for itself and stay in the PAC. Its home.........

* Schedules are already made into the 2030's. I think it's quite unlikely Oregon and Washington wouldn't go to the B1G during the B1G's next contract negotiation- if not earlier.

* Not many, if any, popular teams that are usually ranked 4-20 are going to want to schedule Oregon for a home & home.

* Oregon and Washington should take the much lower payout to be in the B1G ASAP so that we get a good payout in 2028 (or whenever the next contract is). Get it over with.

I once played Mercutio in Romeo & Juliet. I know all about being in the middle of a sword fight between rivaling factions, getting gravely injured, and pretending everything is OK as long as possible. 

That's where the Ducks find themselves now. They are wounded in a conference that is dying, but they say everything is fine. I don't want to ask for Oregon tomorrow, and find out they are a grave program. 

I don't want Oregon to fight. I don't want Oregon to try and save their old friends. The University of Oregon should send their best lawyers and consultants to the Midwest and ask for mercy. End the madness. We can not save the PAC in this fight.

Like J.O.S.H.U.A. said at the end of the movie War Games, "the only winning move is not to play."  Oregon should not involve themselves in the politics or potential collapse of the Pac-12, and simply leave.

aLvg4g6_700b.jpg

Edited by 2002duck
  • Applause 1

Miami...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

B1G and SEC teams in home and home series. Games that move the needle.

Playing the B12 OOC for the next 6 seasons will not bring Oregon in as the 7th most-watched team in the nation as was the case in 2022 playing Georgia.

Oregon must keep its brand in the public eye. Won't happen when playing in Lubbock and Waco, Texas, and in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Many Pac-12/10 teams have upcoming H+H series with the SEC. Many are in the 2nd game in a series: Utah vs Florida and Arizona at Miss. State.

I think Mullens really dropped the ball with B12 teams being the big P5 opponent for the next 6 seasons.

On 3/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Great question and welcome to the Forum!

If the PAC ends up with more streaming games than linear then these would be my preferences.

1. Go to an 8 game conference schedule.

2. Schedule home and homes with P5 opponents that get OBD's on national linear tv. This can be done without scheduling Bama, The Real Dawgs and tOSU. We need the exposure and should schedule opponents ranked 5 thru 20.

3. However, if winning the PAC gets us into the expanded playoff then schedule the big dogs, too. As long as the money is $5 million plus,and we dont have to share the revenue. Actually all PAC teams shouldn't have to share revenue for non conference games.

4. Every school for itself and stay in the PAC. Its home.........

Good call but the money flows when you play Power 2 opponents or Clemson, FSU, and maybe Miami.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:23 PM, Thomallister1291 said:

That would have the same energy as the Iowa vs Iowa State games, if Oregon State remains a Power 5 opponent when we join that conference, we will never be able to schedule another P5 opponent so meeting against contenders like Alabama would only happen in the playoffs, but hey, at least we will preserve our most important rivalry.

With the Oregon legislature possibly having to approve Oregon moving to the B1G I think an annual game vs OR ST will be mandatory. 

I’m surprised the UC Board of Regents did not mandate UCLA to play Cal annually in all sports. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/29/2023 at 12:44 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Playing the B12 OOC for the next 6 seasons will not bring Oregon in as the 7th most-watched team in the nation as was the case in 2022 playing Georgia.

Oregon must keep its brand in the public eye. Won't happen when playing in Lubbock and Waco, Texas, and in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

Many Pac-12/10 teams have upcoming H+H series with the SEC. Many are in the 2nd game in a series: Utah vs Florida and Arizona at Miss. State.

I think Mullens really dropped the ball with B12 teams being the big P5 opponent for the next 6 seasons.

Man, I wish we could schedule an SEC series, the last one was the Tennessee matchups that happened in 2010 and 2013, I would love a series against Alabama, Auburn or Florida, maybe one against Texas A&M as well (tho I won't forgive them for backing out from an actually scheduled series that was going to happen in 2018-19)

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/3/2023 at 5:35 PM, WoadBlue said:

I am a native Tennessean and a North Carolina grad. I'd like to see Oregon schedule UNC in both revenue sports.

UNC deserves a rematch after last season's having not all hands on deck bowl game.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:36 AM, Babyjesus615 said:

Miami

I second that, preferably next year (I know it's impossible but it would be allot of fun)

On 3/29/2023 at 11:44 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Absolutely!!! Interestingly, a recent survey suggested that many Dawg fans would welcome an home and home with the Ducks. I think they want to see what Eugene and Autzen are all about.and Dawg  fans travel very well.

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

No thanks.

I would much rather meet the Dawgs in a Playoff game in a few years when our transition is complete.

I have a ton of respect for Georgia!

Mr. FishDuck

Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC. 

Preferably as conference games. 

On 4/4/2023 at 2:56 PM, Rufus said:

Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Rutgers, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC. 

Preferably as conference games. 

I agree if the $ is 'right' and pods are used to reduce travel in CBB and non-revenue sports.