FishDuck Article

Bo Nix for Heisman in 2023

Entering my 2017 fantasy football draft I was absolutely sold on the fact that Derrick Henry was going to have a breakout season. As a rookie in 2016, he was in a time-share backfield, but in 2017 he was to take the reigns and put up some gaudy numbers. But, no luck. He put up mediocre numbers just like he ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com discusses the idea of Bo Nix being in the hunt for the 2023 Heisman Trophy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Darren there certainly are many factors that go into the determination of a Heisman. And all but one are out of the eventual winners hand.

The eventual winner controls how well they perform week in and week out. A QB winner can lead his team but he has no control over whether a lineman misses a block and a strip fumble occurs. Or a defense that cant make a stop in a crucial game that allows a bitter rival to beat you. Thus knocking you out of the titke game. Or the OC that calls plays that get you injured.

So much has to go right and fall into place.  

IMHO, OBD's need at a minimum a 12-1 season and a CFP invite in order for Bo to be considered. 13-0 would be best. A victory over usc and williams is a must.......

The season and difficult back end of the schedule set Bo up for a heroes finish.

Go Ducks......Go Bo........

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

I agree with Happy, in that we have to win at least 12 games, and impressively for Bo to have a chance.  And our progression on defense could have a lot to do with winning...

Fourth Down Stop_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

Darren, if a tree falls in the forest ...? 

Great update on Who Knows if Bo can win the Heisman? But other than the game when USC trips to Autzen in November (and the game best kick off no later than 4:30 Pacific time) will enough eyeballs be on Bo to bring home the prize if Bo plays well enough to earn the reward?

Interesting that you mentioned Derrick Henry. As David Shaw said Christenson deserved the award but far more people watched Henry play football in the Big, Bad SEC.

How great is it that in 2023 4 Pac-12 QBs, Williams, Penix, Bo, and Rising are in ESPN's top 10 returning QB list? But as Charles cautions the Ducks will need to go 13-1 and win the conference title in a year that has 'cannibal' written all over it.

mads mikkelsen hannibal GIF

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 6:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Darren there certainly are many factors that go into the determination of a Heisman. And all but one are out of the eventual winners hand.

The eventual winner controls how well they perform week in and week out. A QB winner can lead his team but he has no control over whether a lineman misses a block and a strip fumble occurs. Or a defense that cant make a stop in a crucial game that allows a bitter rival to beat you. Thus knocking you out of the titke game. Or the OC that calls plays that get you injured.

So much has to go right and fall into place.  

IMHO, OBD's need at a minimum a 12-1 season and a CFP invite in order for Bo to be considered. 13-0 would be best. A victory over usc and williams is a must.......

The season and difficult back end of the schedule set Bo up for a heroes finish.

Go Ducks......Go Bo........

Yup, I think we want USC in P12 championship game and send them to the B10 in style!. Traitors. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/11/2023 at 7:10 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I agree with Happy, in that we have to win at least 12 games, and impressively for Bo to have a chance.  And our progression on defense could have a lot to do with winning...

Fourth Down Stop_Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

Yes, we need at least measurable improvement on defense. Of course, there was that whole USC thing (shi**y defense) last year, but the glamour of LA and the media hype machine that follows helped with that. Unfortunately, the Ducks don't have that advantage. 

On 4/11/2023 at 8:55 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Darren, if a tree falls in the forest ...? 

Great update on Who Knows if Bo can win the Heisman? But other than the game when USC trips to Autzen in November (and the game best kick off no later than 4:30 Pacific time) will enough eyeballs be on Bo to bring home the prize if Bo plays well enough to earn the reward?

Interesting that you mentioned Derrick Henry. As David Shaw said Christenson deserved the award but far more people watched Henry play football in the Big, Bad SEC.

How great is it that in 2023 4 Pac-12 QBs, Williams, Penix, Bo, and Rising are in ESPN's top 10 returning QB list? But as Charles cautions the Ducks will need to go 13-1 and win the conference title in a year that has 'cannibal' written all over it.

mads mikkelsen hannibal GIF

My only response to that, is this: ; )

• Haha 1

We all know what needs to happen.

The Ducks and USC will both need to be unbeaten for their regular season game. The Trojan boys get off to a seemingly insurmountable lead on national TV. 

Bo Nix methodically brings the team back in the late 3rd and 4th while Caleb Williams throws a costly interception late in the game. Oregon wins by 7. 

At 12 -0, Oregon then beats an 11 -1 USC team in the PAC 12 championship game. Bo gets the Heisman invite. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 9:27 AM, Darren Perkins said:

My only response to that, is this: ; )

Gotta love the poofy 1980s hairstyles...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

I don't care if Nix wins the Heisman.  That's a decision not even he can control, especially with the politics involved.  (When are they not?  🤨

But the Ducks going 12-1 or 13-0, now THAT is what I want and I'll wager Bo does too.  Bo knows.

• Thanks 1

On 4/11/2023 at 12:15 PM, Darren Perkins said:

Yup, I think we want USC in P12 championship game and send them to the B10 in style!. Traitors. 

Great take and I'd love to see a regular season and a champ game sweep to send Troy on its 'merry way' to re-match after thousands of years, the Spartans. The defense will be the Trojans' Trojan Horse. (Actually, I think the last time SC played MI ST it lost to Sparty in the Rose Bowl?)

Dark Horses - UCLA - NO P5 teams out-of-conference with all OOC games played in the Rose Bowl - Easiest Pac-12 SOS Why this gift to another school-blowing town? Great work Merton Hanks. Why with computers and software in the world does Merton have a job? Has anyone seen football refs improving under Hanks' watch?

Oregon State - No P5 teams OOC (game at SDSU could be tough) and #8 Pac-12 SOS.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, that is what worries me most as well--loss of a quality offensive line. On the bright side Bo moves well and OC might consider running more moving pocket plays to keep the defense off the QB a little better.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Five Players Not Named Caleb Williams Who Could Win 2023 Heisman Trophy

USC's Caleb Williams is already the projected No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 NFL Draft. His arm strength and accuracy is unparalleled while his ability to escape the pocket and extend plays on his legs makes opponents look like elementary school students scrambling in a game of tag. 

He took home the 2022 Heisman Trophy and is the favorite to do it again, which would make him just the second player to ever win it twice, joining Ohio State's Archie Griffin (1974 and 1975). 

He's that good. But his talent doesn't discount that of the rest of the FBS.

Williams' route to the Heisman will prove slightly more difficult than last year, having to play against top-tier conference quarterback talent like Michael Penix Jr. and Bo Nix. 

While the Heisman Trophy has evolved into a quarterback's award, there are other players who are in good standing to make their winning case this season. Here are five players who could win the Heisman in 2023 and keep Williams from repeating.

2. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon

The Oregon quarterback is returning for his fifth year and will no doubt have the Ducks' offense humming. Nix threw for 3,594 yards and 29 touchdowns, adding 510 yards and 14 more scores on the ground, in his first season with Oregon. His decision making and progression reads are almost as impressive as his completion percentage (71.9), which ranked second in the FBS last season and tied the Pac-12 record for quarterbacks with more than 150 passing attempts.

usatsi_19603720-1.webp

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/heisman-trophy-2023-contenders-college-football#gid=ci02bc9cd31000253f&pid=1-drake-maye-qb-north-carolina

• Thumbs Up 1