Charles Fischer

Oh Brother: New B1G Rumors Stir the Pot

Who is making life for George Kliavkoff the most difficult?  The loud-mouthed Arizona AD, the Big-12 Commissioner, Dennis Dodd, or this guy throwing more gas on and trying to keep the disinformation flame going?

B1G Rumors.jpg

I don't see it happening.  Do you?

Mr. FishDuck

Well there's smoke for sure.  There's a new UO president from the B1G, the P12 TV deal is dragging on and now the B1G has a new commissioner in place who may be anxious to make his mark.  I don't see how any of those factors are favorable for P12 cohesion.

GK and the remaining 10's apparent "patience" and "unity" seem pretty hollow to me.  Do I agree with the author of this post and his "sources"?  Call me skeptical, but the longer this thing drags on the greater one or more of the remaining 10 members gets nervous and bolts, especially if the B1G or B12 decide to be more aggressive and sweeten the deal.

Each day with no TV deal tips the scale a little more IMHO.

• Thumbs Up 2

So much noise, so little substance. But PR-wise I don't think that GK's sphinx-like silence has helped the cause. 

How can Oregon tell what might be adequate to join the B1G as a 'junior member' when there is no number to compare with?

College football. Once again proving that the off-season is too darn long. Will the conference have a new media deal before the season kicks off? 

On 4/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, noDucknewby said:

Call me skeptical, but the longer this thing drags on the greater one or more of the remaining 10 members gets nervous and bolts, especially if the B1G or B12 decide to be more aggressive and sweeten the deal.

Yep.  Technically....Oregon and Washington are free-agents until a new contract with the Pac-12 is signed.  This gives the B1G time to re-group and come up with an offer...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/23/2023 at 11:13 AM, Jon Joseph said:

How can Oregon tell what might be adequate to join the B1G as a 'junior member' when there is no number to compare with?

I think there is a number; both Canzano and Wilner believe that the new deal with be similar to the Big-12 contract of 31M+, thus if the B1G offers ten million more--is that enough to justify a change? 

How much more would it take to create a move for Oregon/Washington? Now that is an interesting question that has not been discussed, and only Rob Mullens really knows that number?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/23/2023 at 2:13 PM, noDucknewby said:

Well there's smoke for sure.  There's a new UO president from the B1G, the P12 TV deal is dragging on and now the B1G has a new commissioner in place who may be anxious to make his mark.  I don't see how any of those factors are favorable for P12 cohesion.

GK and the remaining 10's apparent "patience" and "unity" seem pretty hollow to me.  Do I agree with the author of this post and his "sources"?  Call me skeptical, but the longer this thing drags on the greater one or more of the remaining 10 members gets nervous and bolts, especially if the B1G or B12 decide to be more aggressive and sweeten the deal.

Each day with no TV deal tips the scale a little more IMHO.

And it is somewhat ironic that the former Oregon president is in the B1G. 

In today's marketplace, I just do not see ESPN/FOX paying more money for B12 inventory. Who knows what the final number for the Pac-10 teams will be but I do not see Pac-12 schools unless there is no choice based on the new media deal numbers, agreeing to be junior members of the B12.

Especially, with BYU, Cincy, UCF, and Houston receiving a full share.

SDSU and SMU joining the Pac-10 for a lesser share will still most likely be a big financial step up compared to the Mountain West and the AAC.

On 4/23/2023 at 2:22 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I think there is a number; both Canzano and Wilner believe that the new deal with be similar to the Big-12 contract of 31M+, thus if the B1G offers ten million more--is that enough to justify a change? 

How much more would it take to create a move for Oregon/Washington? Now that is an interesting question that has not been discussed, and only Rob Mullens really knows that number?

Rob, or Uncle Phil? If an offer comes from the B1G it would be interesting to be a fly on the wall during the discussions of whether to leave or not.

Things to ponder... Do we really believe nothing is in the works, or that Kliavkoff is just lousy at communicating with the PAC members because none of the "important" people ()re: US!) have been slipped any verifiable information by the powers that be? 

I'm as frustrated as anyone. 

What I do know is that nobody in a position of authority is going to be dialing my number with "the Scoop".

On 4/23/2023 at 2:19 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep.  Technically....Oregon and Washington are free-agents until a new contract with the Pac-12 is signed.  This gives the B1G time to re-group and come up with an offer...

The B1G or FOX, Inc.? Obviously, the B1G presidents have to approve but first, where do they find the money to further expand? 

Will UCLA and USC support adding Oregon? I think the 2 would prefer CAL and Stanford over the better competition on the football field they would see from Oregon and UW. And better CBB competition from Oregon.

Maybe one of the B1G junior media partners, CBS or NBC steps up. It would be interesting indeed if the B1G were to get Amazon, Apple, or another high-tech company involved. This would make more sense for any hi-tech company compared to doing a deal with the Pac-10.

ESPN has ESPN+, but FOX, to my knowledge does not have a streaming channel. FOX does have other linear sports channels. NBC does have a streaming entity with Peacock. CBS has a downstream linear sports channel. 

Fascinating and there has to be a lot of back-channel 'stuff' going on. But to speculate or ruminate on this without a trusted source is just bad journalism. Shocking, right?

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Here is what the Colorado chancellor had to say about some of the topics discussed here. This was published today.

Colorado chancellor talks Pac-12 expansion, Big 12 rumor, Deion Sanders and recruiting

As the chancellor of the University of Colorado Boulder, Phil DiStefano is the boss of "Coach Prime" Deion Sanders.  

He oversees the campus, including the Colorado athletic director. He governs the Pac-12 Conference as one of 10 members of the league’s board of directors. He also has governed the NCAA as a member of its board of governors.

So with all that power and oversight experience in major college sports, how does he feel about the notion of Colorado leaving the Pac-12 to rejoin the Big 12?

Or expanding the Pac-12 back to 12 schools?

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Colorado chancellor Phil DiStefano discusses the impact of Deion Sanders and how a campus policy change helped pave the way...
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:00 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Here is what the Colorado chancellor had to say about some of the topics discussed here. This was published today.

Colorado chancellor talks Pac-12 expansion, Big 12 rumor, Deion Sanders and recruiting

As the chancellor of the University of Colorado Boulder, Phil DiStefano is the boss of "Coach Prime" Deion Sanders.  

He oversees the campus, including the Colorado athletic director. He governs the Pac-12 Conference as one of 10 members of the league’s board of directors. He also has governed the NCAA as a member of its board of governors.

So with all that power and oversight experience in major college sports, how does he feel about the notion of Colorado leaving the Pac-12 to rejoin the Big 12?

WWW.USATODAY.COM

Colorado chancellor Phil DiStefano discusses the impact of Deion Sanders and how a campus policy change helped pave the way...

Thanks, PA. I keep getting bounced off the posted article. Will you please summarize? I think it was AD Rick George who was most influential in bringing in Prime. 

But the CU president did his part in loosening the acceptance for transfer credits. 

I reiterate, what broadcast entity is going to come up with $30M plus per annum to grow the B12? 

More smoke?

Here is something that I came across when perusing through articles.  Who knows the validity about anything until GK speaks up.  I do have to say Apple does have deep pockets, but tier one rights to the games?

APPLE EMERGING AS POSSIBLE LEADER TO LAND PAC-12 MEDIA RIGHTS

SUPERWESTSPORTS.COM

Williams: Apple TV wants 'entire tier one package' of Pac-12 media rights

I agree with the CU Chancellor about the contract length, but, if possible, no more than five years.  If it goes beyond that there should be an easy out clause.  The conference shoots for getting the conference back up to 12 members.

It seems SDSU and SMU are the top two.  There's not a whole lot schools out there to pull into the conference.  Tulane maybe?  High ranking university on the side of education.

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

I keep getting bounced off the posted article. Will you please summarize? I think it was AD Rick George who was most influential in bringing in Prime. 

But the CU president did his part in loosening the acceptance for transfer credits. 

Hi Jon. Sorry the posting isn't working for you. Since it is a free article, I am copying it below.

BOULDER, Colo. – As the chancellor of the University of Colorado Boulder, Phil DiStefano is the boss of "Coach Prime" Deion Sanders.  

Or how Sanders, his new football coach, has electrified the community and built a roster with dozens of players transferring in from other colleges?

DiStefano answered those questions and more in a wide-ranging interview Friday with USA TODAY Sports, a day before Sanders showcased his new team in a sold-out spring scrimmage at Folsom Field.

What did Colorado chancellor Phil DiStefano say?

In short, DiStefano says he wants the Pac-12 to expand back to 12 schools after UCLA and Southern California leave for the Big Ten next year. He pooh-poohed the notion of joining the Big 12.

He said the hiring of Sanders in December already has been “worth the investment” and acknowledged that his football program was held back by issues restricting the admission of transfer students. Since those restrictions recently were eased for all students this semester, he said he hasn’t heard of any football transfer recruits who were denied entry.

He also said he’d like to see the Pac-12 go for a five-year contract in its new media rights negotiations instead of the much longer deal that it had in the past.  

Pac-12 negotiations

The league is seeking a new media rights deal with television and streaming partners that provide revenue to be shared with each Pac-12 member. The current contract with ESPN and Fox expires in 2024 and was a big driver in revenue sharing that now pays around $35 million per school per year. That’s well below the revenue shares earned in the football-crazed Big Ten and Southeastern conferences (about $60 million).

But DiStefano said “there’s a very good possibility” the next deal will bring in per-school revenues ranking third among the Power 5 conferences, ahead of the Big 12 and Atlantic Coast conferences. He also hopes it’s a five- to seven-year deal instead of being locked into a longer contract like the 12-year deal that ends next year and once was touted as the most valuable in college sports.

"Everyone passed us up" in revenue during that 12-year period after, he said.

A shorter contract would provide flexibility amid a turbulent media industry that’s been disrupted by internet streaming services.

"I think in five years we’ll get a much better feel for streaming services," said DiStefano, Colorado’s chancellor since 2009. "That’s changing so much, and it’s going to put us in a position to pick up some things that maybe we’re not going to get at this point."

Leaving the Pac-12?

Without a new media deal in place for the Pac-12, rumors have swirled that Colorado might go back to its old league, the Big 12, for the sake of stability.

Is that a backup plan for Colorado?

"Nobody’s asked us – I shouldn’t even say that. We’re committed to the Pac-12," he said. "What I’ve said along with the other presidents and chancellors is we’re not going to even think about going anywhere, none of us, until we see what kind of offer we get, and that’s still being worked out. And I’m confident it’s going to be fine."

Pac-12 expansion?

With USC and UCLA departing the Pac-12, the league has considered adding schools to replace them. San Diego State and Southern Methodist in Dallas are considered the prime candidates.

DiStefano would vote on any expansion proposal.

"I’d like to have 12 schools," DiStefano said.

A big issue, he said, would be whether those schools would bring enough revenue and other benefits to the league to justify their getting an equal cut of the revenue pie.

He noted that neither SDSU nor SMU are AAU schools, which is important to the league presidents and chancellors in charge. On the other hand, SDSU “did really well in basketball,” DiStefano said. “They have a new stadium in football, a good Southern California market. Dallas is a good area for recruiting.”

He said expansion depends on the new media deal, which is “getting close,” he said.

Was Colorado football team being held back?

Before hiring Sanders in December, Colorado seemed to be drastically behind the times in recruiting transfer players from other colleges. A bevy of talented players left Colorado to transfer elsewhere, but not so much the other way around. As a result, the Buffaloes finished 1-11 in football last year, its 15th losing season in the past 17 years.

Then when Sanders was introduced as his new coach Dec. 4, DiStefano announced a new “pilot program” that would ease academic restrictions for all students (not just athletes) seeking to transfer to CU from other four-year colleges. Five months later, Sanders has at least 28 transfers coming in for 2023, with more on the way.

The perception was that this transfer issue held back the football program.

"Yes," DiStefano said. "I know it’s been in the press that former coach (Karl) Dorrell talked to us about it. Seriously, he never talked to me about it."

What was the problem?

Previously, it would take three to four weeks to evaluate whether course credits from a student’s previous school would apply toward graduation at Colorado. Now it takes 24 to 48 hours to evaluate under the new program, DiStefano said. Unlike before, it’s also easier to transfer course credits from other schools as electives even if CU doesn’t offer those courses.

"There are certain things that even now we don’t accept (academically)," DiStefano said. "So a course has to be a C-minus or better, and it can’t be remedial. It has to be from a four-year accredited institution. So I would talk in those terms of what (those) criteria are, which are the same criteria we have today. I never got into electives or non-electives because I didn’t know what the issue was to be honest."

What about Deion Sanders’ recruiting strategy?

Sanders’ transfer class ranks No. 1 in the country, according to 247Sports. But several CU players from last year’s team have left or were forced out, perhaps in response to the influx of heightened competition.

This resembles pro football, where teams upgrade rosters by signing free agents and cutting players who underperform.

"We brought him in to change the program, to win, to win championships," DiStefano said. "The way I looked at it was as long we were doing it the right way and we had this new transfer rule that everyone was following, that we weren’t cutting edges – that’s why we hired him."

Have any transfer recruits been denied admission?

"I don’t believe so," DiStefano said. "I haven’t heard of any, so from what I heard, from athletics, is that it’s working extremely well."

CU athletics didn’t immediately respond to a message seeking more information.

Is Deion Sanders worth the investment already?

Right after Sanders was introduced as coach Dec. 4, athletic director Rick George was asked about coming up with the money to pay Sanders at nearly $6 million per year over five years. Dorrell, the previous coach, had a contract that averaged $3.6 million. George answered by saying, “We don’t have the money yet, but I know we’ll have it.”

Since then, CU has sold out of season tickets for the first time in 27 years, hosted its biggest crowd ever for its annual spring game Saturday (45,000) and watched its merchandise sales jump 505% in December alone from the previous year, according to CU.

"I would say as of today, with ticket sales, donor gifts, what we’re doing with merchandise – that definitely was worth the investment that we made," DiStefano said.

How has his life changed?

Before Sanders was hired, CU was blown out of nearly every game it played in 2022.

"Social media was saying, 'Fire the athletic director and chancellor. They don’t know what they’re doing,'" DiStefano acknowledged. "Within a month or two, it just changed dramatically.

"One word I use all the time is it’s been transformational … since December, no one has talked to me about a 1-11 season last year. It’s all about the future, it’s all about winning championships and what Coach Prime is going to bring to the table."

Brent Schrotenboer @Schrotenboer 

I am very unhappy about all of this but Its a matter of time before the B1G takes Oregon, Fusky and probably Stanford-possibly poach some other school as well.

Sorry, but wake me when whatever ink that needs to be dry, is.  

Until then, all this static is in the "life's too short" category, as I wouldn't get the time back that I "would have" spent reading it.

P.S. I skipped to the end of this topic in order to make my "last" post on these rumor-mill headlines.

P.P.S. Someone will have to take up my moderating slack on these topics.

• Great post! 1

This happening now, not a chance.  5 years down the line, probably to soon, but in the next 10 years when college football shrinks down to 2 super conferences yes, and Stanford will also be included.  Of course that will be the end of college sports as we know it unfortunately.  The only hope for college sports is congress acting in some way and I don't see that happening.

LOL... congress acting???

Ha... ha, ha! 

HAHAHAHAHahahahah... aw, phooey!

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

On 4/23/2023 at 2:58 PM, Steven A said:

Sorry, but wake me when whatever ink that needs to be dry

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

P Duck thank you for posting the DiStepano article. This has valuable information that is worth pondering and discussing..... It is worth the read and putting 2 and 2 together.

DiStepano VALIDATES that

1. No one has asked them to

join the Big 12.

2. Colorado has no desire to

join the Big 12.

That just supports this Forum's consensus that those rumors, speculation and conjecture were just empty piles of BS...... The reason they had unnamed sources were because they had NO SOURCES. Just a waste of time.

DiStepsno VALIDATES that

1. Colorado has a working plan

to improve their football

fortunes on the field.

2. They cleared the roadblocks

that were crippling their

transfer portal recruiting.

3. Colorado is committed to

the PAC and to winning

Championships 

Good for Colorado. Everyone in the PAC seems committed to building, investing and growing their brand and the PAC ... (Not sure about Cal, Stanford and WSU).

Five teams will start the season in the Top 25. The 2023 football season will be awesome. The carnage and cannibalism will be brutal. Their will be at least 2 PAC teams again playing in New Years Six Bowls

Thats worth pondering.....

When the new BIG commissioner publicly announces the invite to the BIG for any PAC teams then I will believe it. How people, who are not in the room, can make these BS, unfounded statements is beyond me. The new BIG commisdioner works for the BIG Presidents and Chancellors. I dont have the articles but last July and August a few of those Presidents said they did not want to be responsible for destroying the PAC. Until they say different then anything else published is more BS ........

One final note, in football UCLA will become irrelevant once joining the BIG. This move is a big mistake for the Bruins.  If they had stayed in the PAC they would have brought about $10 million annual per school in media rights. The PAC would have been in the low $40 million per year range in media rights money. By the rime the Bruins pay annual travel expenses for all sports ($10-$15 million per year, I have read this on Athlon and SI articles) they will net between $45-$50 million a year. 

What did they gain? Tired and exhausted athletes transferring to PAC schools. And they will lose the SoCal recruiting wars to usuck and the Ducks. And open the doors for SDSU.

Go Ducks.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SDSU has got to be negotiating that they get a full share. And they sure deserve it.

This whole process is like watching jockeys ‘jockeying’ for position through the turns before they have to commit down the home stretch. You can’t blame every conference for wanting what’s best for themselves. Reality has yet settle the matter.

SDSU is currently receiving @$4M per annum in media money. 

It will not receive a Pac-10 or B12 media share. SDSU is irrelevant to FOX. Back-in-the day I could see ESPN paying $30M plus to get a piece of the SoCal market but not today. Disney has pulled in the ESPN reins.

With today's cord-cutting impacting ESPN subscriptions, I expect more layoffs and salary cuts are coming ESPN's way. 

On 4/24/2023 at 11:51 AM, WoadBlue said:

Swaim has 1 agenda: to talk up the Big XII, this new Big XII, all the time. Everything flows that 1 raison d'être. So, Swaim always focuses on the imminent death of the Pac, and the imminent gutting of the ACC, which means that several fairly valuable properties (such as NCSU, Pitt, etc.) could end up adding to the Big XII. 

As an AAU member, Pitt like Georgia Tech, Duke, UNC, and UVA has a shot at going B1G.

On 4/24/2023 at 1:40 PM, Washington Waddler said:

This whole process is like watching jockeys ‘jockeying’ for position through the turns before they have to commit down the home stretch. You can’t blame every conference for wanting what’s best for themselves. Reality has yet settle the matter.

But you can actually watch real jockeys and their mounts. THIS is like waiting for the Sphinx to speak.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:25 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

P Duck thank you for posting the DiStepano article. This has valuable information that is worth pondering and discussing..... It is worth the read and putting 2 and 2 together.

DiStepano VALIDATES that

join the Big 12.

join the Big 12.

That just supports this Forum's consensus that those rumors, speculation and conjecture were just empty piles of BS...... The reason they had unnamed sources were because they had NO SOURCES. Just a waste of time.

DiStepsno VALIDATES that

fortunes on the field.

the PAC and to winning

Championships 

Good for Colorado. Everyone in the PAC seems committed to building, investing and growing their brand and the PAC ... (Not sure about Cal, Stanford and WSU).

Five teams will start the season in the Top 25. The 2023 football season will be awesome. The carnage and cannibalism will be brutal. Their will be at least 2 PAC teams again playing in New Years Six Bowls

When the new BIG commissioner publicly announces the invite to the BIG for any PAC teams then I will believe it. How people, who are not in the room, can make these BS, unfounded statements is beyond me. The new BIG commisdioner works for the BIG Presidents and Chancellors. I dont have the articles but last July and August a few of those Presidents said they did not want to be responsible for destroying the PAC. Until they say different then anything else published is more BS ........

One final note, in football UCLA will become irrelevant once joining the BIG. This move is a big mistake for the Bruins.  If they had stayed in the PAC they would have brought about $10 million annual per school in media rights. The PAC would have been in the low $40 million per year range in media rights money. By the rime the Bruins pay annual travel expenses for all sports ($10-$15 million per year, I have read this on Athlon and SI articles) they will net between $45-$50 million a year. 

What did they gain? Tired and exhausted athletes transferring to PAC schools. And they will lose the SoCal recruiting wars to usuck and the Ducks. And open the doors for SDSU.

Go Ducks.

Plus, throw in the 'tax' to be paid to CAL and does the move even pencil out for UCLA? 

I agree that UCLA football will struggle but UCLA CBB could be the best of the bunch in a way overrated B1G.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/23/2023 at 8:25 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

DiStepano VALIDATES that

join the Big 12.

join the Big 12.

DiStepsno VALIDATES that

fortunes on the field.

the PAC and to winning

Championships 

Go Ducks.

I think, unlike CAL and Stanford the WSU administration would like to improve but WSU does not have the $ to do so. One of the reasons why WSU will be left behind as CFB further consolidates.

Good call on the media right payment to the Bruins. IMO, UCLA should have waited to sign on with B1G until the media Pac new media deal is done but I imagine that the B1G was not willing to Wait for Godot.

On 4/23/2023 at 6:08 PM, mrspenney said:

This happening now, not a chance.  5 years down the line, probably to soon, but in the next 10 years when college football shrinks down to 2 super conferences yes, and Stanford will also be included.  Of course that will be the end of college sports as we know it unfortunately.  The only hope for college sports is congress acting in some way and I don't see that happening.

endowment

Good call but I fully expect that players will be deemed to be 'employees' and at such time Stanford will go the way of the Ivy League. Stanford is one of the Pac schools with an endowment sufficient to pay for many non-revenue sports without football bringing in big bucks.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:58 PM, Steven A said:

Sorry, but wake me when whatever ink that needs to be dry, is.  

Until then, all this static is in the "life's too short" category, as I wouldn't get the time back that I "would have" spent reading it.

P.S. I skipped to the end of this topic in order to make my "last" post on these rumor-mill headlines.

P.P.S. Someone will have to take up my moderating slack on these topics.

Ink cannot dry before the consultants and layers (and Comcast?) are paid.

Steven, please offer to represent the Pac-12 vs Larry at a discount. I do note that 2 network executives fired have filed a wrongful termination suit against Larry claiming that they told Larry about the Comcast situation and Larry sat on this information.

Larry, the gift that keeps on giving. Thank you, Michael (Eat) Crow and UCLA's Mr. Bloch-head.

On 4/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Thanks, PA. I keep getting bounced off the posted article. Will you please summarize? I think it was AD Rick George who was most influential in bringing in Prime. 

I reiterate, what broadcast entity is going to come up with $30M plus per annum to grow the B12? 

Thanks for the detailed summary.