Steven A

Bye Bye CFP for USC in 2024 as Schedule of Games Released

WWW.MSN.COM

USC and UCLA are joining the Big Ten at the start of the 2024 college football season, and the Trojans will have one of the most difficult schedules in the country when they join the...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The Big Ten schedule will look far different beginning in 2024 with the arrival of USC and UCLA

Plus, I think they will be breaking in a new QB about then.

Trying to...muster a shred...of sympath-nope not happening.

USC is not at the level of Michigan and tOSU, more like Penn St or Wisconsin. That means they will be a perennial 2nd tier team in the B10 with at least 2 conference losses each season.

• Cool 2
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

That travel time is going to be brutal. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Oh... Da-yumn!  TOE JAM!

• Thumbs Up 1

Be careful what you wish for.

From Big Dog to a hound in the B1G pound.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1

If these games were non-conference games I would think USC would be pretty competitive because they wouldn't be traveling a ton and they could spend more time preparing. 

I think USC with their big-12 style game plan could give Michigan some problems like how TCU did. 

However, these aren't conference games or bowl games. USC will have one week to prepare and often that would mean a significant road trip to then play against a style of football Riley isn't used to going against on a regular basis. 

Also not a style of foot all the recruits in their backyard are used to playing against. 

It will be a brutal learning curve. 

I mean just think... They get to play Michigan at home then turn around for a road trip to Penn State or Maryland or Purdue. Maryland and Purdue aren't big hitters and I'd say USC should be favored against them... But what about after some big road trips? Maybe not. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It makes me want to CRY for

the Trojans and their fans!

giphy.gif

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

They're going to miss those Colorado -Arizona-Cal  teams real soon

• Thumbs Up 1

As the chiropractor said, "we'll have to make some adjustments...."

USC and UCLA spinal crunch...

https://www.si.com/college/2023/06/08/usc-ucla-big-ten-football-schedule-logistically-irrational

Heading east from L.A. would get you about as far as Shamrock, Texas if you were trying to match distance to Seattle.

The linked column again reiterates that current Big Ten members are probably not on board either with expanding West Coast members and travel to the West Coast.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I could hear the sigh of relief when sc saw Tulane wasn't on their schedule.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 9

On 6/8/2023 at 9:04 PM, HDuck said:

The linked column again reiterates that current Big Ten members are probably not on board either with expanding West Coast members and travel to the West Coast.

I think B1G members are probably fine with one game on the west coast every other year and that game being in sunny LA. Its a nice trip to some warm weather and even a chance to get in on some of that Southern California recruiting.

But I would agree with your statement that they probably don't want multiple games on the west coast a year. Sunny LA is nice for a game... what about rainy Eugene or Seattle? Probably a lot less nice... especially with a long flight attached.

On 6/8/2023 at 9:02 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

They're going to miss those Colorado -Arizona-Cal  teams real soon

You should start a religion, that was definitely prophetic.

I am trying to feel empathetic, but just not happening.

fake-tears-fake-cry-1.gif

• Haha 3
  • Mic drop 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:52 AM, David Marsh said:

I think B1G members are probably fine with one game on the west coast every other year and that game being in sunny LA. Its a nice trip to some warm weather and even a chance to get in on some of that Southern California recruiting.

But I would agree with your statement that they probably don't want multiple games on the west coast a year. Sunny LA is nice for a game... what about rainy Eugene or Seattle? Probably a lot less nice... especially with a long flight attached.

1 game, yes. But travel to the Left Coast is the reason that Ohio State paid $500K to buy out of the 2024/25 home and home series with Washington. Thereby, hosing over UW and diminishing Pac-10 OOC competition.

Man, I hate to bring this up BUT, USC and the entire B1G were CFB hugely watched when the B1G schedule was shown and debated on the B1G Network. A Network that is 61% owned by FOX and has 5 x plus the number of subscribers that Larry's Loser Network has.

And the B1G staying at 9 conference games means that the B1G took none of the grief that the SEC received (and the ACC should receive) for playing 8 conference games in 2024 in a 16-team conference.

In the flex B1G schedule coming in 2024, USC has 1 permanent opponent, UCLA. This means that with Notre Dame on the schedule SC will have only 6 home games every other year. This season like last season Michigan has 8 home games. But this is negated by pulling down $65M a year in media money. 

Say what you like but this kind of publicity is recruiting gold for USC and even for UCLA. 2 of the Ducks games at least, Portland State and Hawaii will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network this season. That means off-radar viewing for most of the nation. 

And the game at Texas Tech will be broadcast on FOX at the same time Bama is playing Texas on ESPN. I am more than willing to bet that College Game Day, which dwarfs the FOX Big Noon pregame broadcast when it comes to viewers, will be in Tuscaloosa for the pregame. 

In a terrific post on OBD Forum, Oregon football is shown to be worth $3M a game. Including a bowl game, this equates to $39M a season and more if Oregon plays for a conference championship and makes the playoff which will be easier to do when the 12-team playoff field arrives in 2024. 

But media money makes up less than half of what Oregon football and its national and international brand bring in every season. Sales of merchandise are not helped by scheduling B12 games OOC.

Here is one Pac-10 team's, ASU, future games vs. the SEC

2024 - Mississippi State/ 2025 - at Mississippi State

2026 - at A+M/ 2027 - vs A+M

2028 - Florida

2029 - at LSU/ 2030 - vs LSU

2031 - at Florida

2032 - Texas 2033/ - 2034 at Texas

These are the games that move the viewership needle. That will bring a lot of exposure to a Pac-10 program that on the field can't carry Oregon's nether elastic equipment. 

With the 2 LA schools gone in 2024, these are the kind of games, along with quality B1G opponents (Wisconsin plays in Pullman in 2023!) that Oregon must schedule. Six years against B12 teams before Michigan State shows up on the schedule is simply a dollars-and-cents scheduling mistake. (I realize I am repeating myself here but IMO OOC scheduling is critical for brand awareness.)

It seems to me that the Oregon AD and the Oregon SID believe that Oregon will simply sell itself. Imagine if Phil Knight had taken the same approach and not signed on Michael Jordan.

USC B1G games will be drawing far more eyeballs than Pac-10 games. And reiterating, this does matter when it comes to recruiting. Hopefully, a deal with Apple/Amazon will lead to better worldwide viewing numbers for Oregon but this will take time to develop. And, as we are all painfully aware the details of the new Pac media deal are unknown.

So yes, SC will have a tough B1G row to hoe but it will be in the national spotlight, featured on linear TV and on a viable conference network, and bringing down big bucks.

So, if $3M a game is a correct valuation although I want Oregon to stay in the Pac and not abandon Oregon State if the B1G/FOX comes with an offer of $45M to $50M now in 5 years from now (adjusted for inflation,) in annual media money Oregon best avoid Horace Greely's advice and head East. 

Bashing SC is LOL fun, but the B1G media exposure and the B1G money will spend.

• Thumbs Up 2

FYI, Nicole Auerbach of The Athletic (paywall) has a great article up today on how the playoff committee to date has ignored the strength of the schedule (SOS) but must pay attention to SOS including the number of conference games played and the quality of the OOC schedule when choosing at large teams and seeding the 12-team playoff field come 2024.

AMEN!

• Applause 1

"a dollars-and-cents scheduling mistake"

It takes two to tango, so desire on the part of fans or the Oregon AD, is not enough.

As said, Ohio State canceled on UW.   That was not a back out of a WSU commitment.  It was freakin UW.  Georgia canceled with Oregon.  Georgia cancelled a few years ago with Colorado.  And so on, and so on.  Those are just a few you can find on Google.

"Neutral" games in Dallas or Atlanta are just salve on an open wound.   At this pace, pretty soon the Pac-12 will be a 2 for 1 conference and the BIG and SEC will demand the 1 be neutral instead of on the West Coast.

You would think the games were being played in Guam instead of Oregon, Washington and California as much as these schools Jerk about West Coast travel.

On 6/9/2023 at 1:33 PM, HDuck said:

It takes two to tango, so desire on the part of fans or the Oregon AD, is not enough.

As said, Ohio State canceled on UW.   That was not a back out of a WSU commitment.  It was freakin UW.  Georgia canceled with Oregon.  Georgia cancelled a few years ago with Colorado.  And so on, and so on.  Those are just a few you can find on Google.

"Neutral" games in Dallas or Atlanta are just salve on an open wound.   At this pace, pretty soon the Pac-12 will be a 2 for 1 conference and the BIG and SEC will demand the 1 be neutral instead of on the West Coast.

You would think the games were being played in Guam instead of Oregon, Washington and California as much as these schools Jerk about West Coast travel.

Two to tango granted. But there are 30+ games scheduled between Pac-12 and SEC teams between now and the early 2030s. None scheduled with Oregon.

If the ASU AD can schedule the games shown above IMO Mullens not doing so is lazy and not working hard enough to sell big-time OOC games.

Excuse-making doesn't explain why Florida this season is playing at Utah. A difficult place to play. A smaller stadium than Autzen and not a big recruiting bump state for the Gators.

This is BIG BUSINESS. If Mullens cannot schedule heavyweights find someone who can. For $1M a year plus perks, the job will not go begging.  

Former B1G commissioner Jim Delany is a CFB consultant. It would be galling to have to pay a 3rd party to schedule up but perhaps this is what Rob needs to do if he can't do so on his own. 

Excuse-making could well have Oregon headed for the B12 or even the Mountain West. And this is no time to give the B12 a viewing and recruiting boost.

What natural interest do Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, and Baylor have for Oregon fans as opposed to playing B1G teams? Even Rutgers.

B1G middle-weights, Maryland, Indiana, Purdue, Nebraska, and Minnesota would draw more eyeballs than the B12 teams Mullens has scheduled. Ditto SEC teams Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, and Arkansas.

All of the above teams in both the B1G and the SEC have OOC games scheduled with better opponents than Mullens is bringing to the table. Florida plays FSU and Utah in 2023 and South Carolina plays North Carolina and Clemson. 

What does the man do all day to earn $1M plus?  I'm tired of giving 'leaders' in the Pac-10 a pass from the top on down.

Cannot Make This up!

Bill Connelly on ESPN+ (paywall) has an article up today previewing the Pac-12 SOUTH!

This just in Bill, the Pac-12 dropped divisions in 2022. I guess the Pony Express has yet to make it to Bristol, Connecticut?

The Rodney Dangerfield of the P5. 

• Thumbs Up 1

LOL. UCLA has to play Ohio State, Michigan and USC in 2024. Good luck with your sophomore QB. 

Cannot Make This up!

Bill Connelly on ESPN+ (paywall) has an article up today previewing the Pac-12 SOUTH!

This just in Bill, the Pac-12 dropped divisions in 2022. I guess the Pony Express has yet to make it to Bristol, Connecticut.

• Yikes! 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:41 PM, OregonDucks said:

LOL. UCLA has to play Ohio State, Michigan and USC in 2024. Good luck with your sophomore QB. 

But Moore is a QB Oregon would have loved to hold onto.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:33 PM, HDuck said:

OK, the schedule is what it is and it is not going to change so I'll sit back and enjoy and hope this will not come back to bite Oregon when the playoff moves to 12 teams next season, and SOS might finally matter.

Florida has not played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida since 1991.  The home-and-home with Utah was set up several years ago due to cross pollination of staffs, though Urban Meyer at both schools was a piece of it.  Mississippi State and Arizona was set up due to Greg Byrne who had been AD at both schools.

Don't discount the two to tango aspect of the various matchups that get made.

Along those lines I do think a home-and-home with Kentucky should be possible.  Mullens was on staff there.  Rich Brooks coached both.  But, Kentucky is content with Louisville annual matchup.  Their other games through 2030 are all teams from Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio area.

Florida's regular season failure to travel gets a lot of negativity.  Wonder how each of the other SEC programs like Kentucky have history avoiding a different time zone?

• Applause 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, WoadBlue said:

The ACC has only 14 members for football, and 15 for basketball. The ACC will not go to 9 leagues games in football unless the league expands, because 4 of us have annual in-state rivalry games vs an SEC school, plus 5 of us each year play ND.  This year, UNC has OOC games vs. South Carolina and Minnesota. That is what CFB needs: more OOC games matching 2 P5 leagues. 

Get it but SIGH. IMO the reason the ACC won't go to 9 is due to the Notre Dame independent enabling scheduling agreement. 

Clemson plays Notre Dame 'OOC' and plays FSU at home. Not easy by any standard. 

And your Tarheels play South Carolina OOC.

Man, I would love to see the formation of The Atlantic-Pacific Conference that would easily win the Bronze medal in the P4 rankings. The Holiday Bowl last season was an awesome game with both Drake Maye and Bo Nix showing their skills and both Ds playing better than expected.

So good to have you on the Forum + best of luck to UNC football in 2023.

BTW, I think you have one and a half football members and the half just won the lacrosse title.

Edited by Jon Joseph

The whole “bring USC and UCLA over” has the feel of a poorly conceived screwup. Rushed into by all involved without a lot of thought. $$$$ blinded all involved to the very real difficulties. 

Another factor is that USC thinks it is a better team than they really are. The media eggs them on ascribing to USC a greatness they haven’t achieved in decades. This is based upon USC being able to recruit due to their location. However that hasn’t panned out (yet at least) with “lowly” Oregon out recruiting USC for the last several years and with Oregon recruiting momentum not slowing down. If anything it is kicking into a higher gear. 

I’m glad USC is gone. I’m not so naive as to believe in a complete lack of selfishness as a viable strategy, but USC has consistently shown poor judgement and an eager  willingness to backstab other members of the PAC. Buh bye. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a much different take on this than most here. I believe USC is going to crush every team in its path Sans maybe Michigan. But, I wouldn't be shocked with U$C winning the Michigan game neither. Look at U$C's offense. Only tOSU has that kind of offense. U$C has the caliber of player to roar to a 20 point lead by half time and completely wear out the opposing defense. 

Is any B1G team built for speed? They are about to get a fresh dose of it. If Michigan's run game has a slight dose of the yips, Caleb "Call me Heisman' wil, shred them into oblivion.

• Yikes! 1

On 6/9/2023 at 6:12 PM, lownslowav8r said:

The whole “bring USC and UCLA over” has the feel of a poorly conceived screwup. Rushed into by all involved without a lot of thought. $$$$ blinded all involved to the very real difficulties. 

Another factor is that USC thinks it is a better team than they really are. The media eggs them on ascribing to USC a greatness they haven’t achieved in decades. This is based upon USC being able to recruit due to their location. However that hasn’t panned out (yet at least) with “lowly” Oregon out recruiting USC for the last several years and with Oregon recruiting momentum not slowing down. If anything it is kicking into a higher gear. 

I’m glad USC is gone. I’m not so naive as to believe in a complete lack of selfishness as a viable strategy, but USC has consistently shown poor judgement and an eager  willingness to backstab other members of the PAC. Buh bye. 

You seemed to have summed up my last article to a degree. 

FISHDUCK.COM

It's hard to ignore USC fans these days, as most of them seem far too happy about joining the B1G. They...

This is going to be an interesting year and I think there will be a lot of furious fans if USC doesn't take the PAC which they have already written off as weak and dead. 

If USC can't take the PAC then how are they supposed to take the B1G? 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:56 PM, David Marsh said:

You seemed to have summed up my last article to a degree. 

FISHDUCK.COM

It's hard to ignore USC fans these days, as most of them seem far too happy about joining the B1G. They...

This is going to be an interesting year and I think there will be a lot of furious fans if USC doesn't take the PAC which they have already written off as weak and dead. 

If USC can't take the PAC then how are they supposed to take the B1G? 

I've always been strong when it comes to plagiarism. I did not mean to steal one of your great takes.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, 1Funduck said:

I have a much different take on this than most here. I believe USC is going to crush every team in its path Sans maybe Michigan. But, I wouldn't be shocked with U$C winning the Michigan game neither. Look at U$C's offense. Only tOSU has that kind of offense. U$C has the caliber of player to roar to a 20 point lead by half time and completely wear out the opposing defense. 

Is any B1G team built for speed? They are about to get a fresh dose of it. If Michigan's run game has a slight dose of the yips, Caleb "Call me Heisman' wil, shred them into oblivion.

The Ohio State receiving corps has speed plus and Penn State out-speeded Utah in last season's Rose Bowl as did Ohio State the year prior.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:51 PM, 1Funduck said:

But you do have to on occasion play D which did not happen vs Utah in the conference champ game and vs Tulane in the Cotton Bowl.

Before SC ventures into the B1G Caleb will be in the NFL as the likely #1 draft pick.

On 6/9/2023 at 6:51 PM, WoadBlue said:

The ACC has only 14 members for football, and 15 for basketball. The ACC will not go to 9 leagues games in football unless the league expands, because 4 of us have annual in-state rivalry games vs an SEC school, plus 5 of us each year play ND.  This year, UNC has OOC games vs. South Carolina and Minnesota. That is what CFB needs: more OOC games matching 2 P5 leagues. 

I think what the Pac-10 needs is the Atlantic-Pacific Conference merger with the ACC.

On 6/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Yes, rushed to the tune, so far, of a promised $5M shortfall and games on Peacock with 20M subscribers.

Kind of like  Carol Folt rushed into the hiring of a now-disgraced AD,

With the LA schools in place, the Pac-12 does a deal for $50M plus. So is $65M enough for SC to give up its place at the head of the table?

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 7:11 PM, Jon Joseph said:

With the LA schools in place, the Pac-12 does a deal for $50M plus. So is $65M enough for SC to give up its place at the head of the table?

I doubt the PAC gets 50 mil... But I'd love to see it. If the PAC does get that much or even 40, I think the big-12 poops their collective pants. 

The PAC product is in a far better position to grow over the next several years than the big-12. The end goal for the PAC right now is to survive and have a few relevant teams. 

Once the B1G is back up for media rights then swoop in and secure UCLA and resecure the la market. Maybe get USC back at that point... Or let them rot in the B1G. 

On 6/9/2023 at 8:01 PM, David Marsh said:

I doubt the PAC gets 50 mil... But I'd love to see it. If the PAC does get that much or even 40, I think the big-12 poops their collective pants. 

I think @Jon Joseph meant the value before the move…and the value is now down to 60 million and potentially lower. The 10 million difference will likely be eaten up by travel and higher coaching costs. 

Edited by lownslowav8r
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:01 PM, David Marsh said:

The PAC product is in a far better position to grow over the next several years than the big-12. The end goal for the PAC right now is to survive and have a few relevant teams. 

Once the B1G is back up for media rights then swoop in and secure UCLA and resecure the la market. Maybe get USC back at that point... Or let them rot in the B1G. 

Without the LA schools, I also doubt, as I meant to indicate, $50M. I think with the LA schools $50M would have been a slam dunk. 

FOX is paying the LA schools $65M each per annum to move to the B1G.

IMO, the Pac-10 will survive and with the right streaming partner will have the chance to thrive.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/9/2023 at 5:13 PM, HDuck said:

Florida has not played a non-conference game outside the state of Florida since 1991.  The home-and-home with Utah was set up several years ago due to cross pollination of staffs, though Urban Meyer at both schools was a piece of it.  Mississippi State and Arizona was set up due to Greg Byrne who had been AD at both schools.

Don't discount the two to tango aspect of the various matchups that get made.

Along those lines I do think a home-and-home with Kentucky should be possible.  Mullens was on staff there.  Rich Brooks coached both.  But, Kentucky is content with Louisville annual matchup.  Their other games through 2030 are all teams from Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio area.

Florida's regular season failure to travel gets a lot of negativity.  Wonder how each of the other SEC programs like Kentucky have history avoiding a different time zone?

Thanks, H. Kentucky was among the schools pushing to stay with 8 conference games. I guess Mark Stoops needs his bowl game bonus. 

SC and UCLA, get your No-Doz ready.

Brutal travel numbers for football and think how this will affect non-revenue sports. 

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

A few teams in the Big Ten Conference will be racking up airline miles when the league expands in the 2024 season

@Jon Joseph

I agree about having to play D. But, I'm looking over the transfer Portal Roster for U$C. I believe they are about 1 season away from scaring the skirts off some B1G teams with an improved Defensive roster. Also, CW may leave after next year, or he may receive a 'Stay to Play, Pay' offer from the U$C alums. 

If he stays, that team is only going to rise in quality players. By a lot IMO.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Here is one Pac-10 team's, ASU, future games vs. the SEC

2024 - Mississippi State/ 2025 - at Mississippi State

2026 - at A+M/ 2027 - vs A+M

2028 - Florida

2029 - at LSU/ 2030 - vs LSU

2031 - at Florida

2032 - Texas 2033/ - 2034 at Texas

Good looking Jon! My only question in regards to this is will they actually happen?!  If, by chance, the Forks turn things around under Dillingham and they become a legitimate team, do you not think A&M, Florida, LSU and Texas will cancel and buyout of the contract?! They scheduled these games with ASU bc they were confident they would beat them.  If the Devils become even a little formidable and look like they might actually give them a game, they will be cancelled faster than you can say "8 game conference schedule". At the end of the day they want WINS and if they even for a second think they could lose the game, they'll trip over themselves backing out of them...and that's why I believe they cancelled on us and won't schedule any more against us.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:14 AM, Wrathis said:

Good looking Jon! My only question in regards to this is will they actually happen?!  If, by chance, the Forks turn things around under Dillingham and they become a legitimate team, do you not think A&M, Florida, LSU and Texas will cancel and buyout of the contract?! They scheduled these games with ASU bc they were confident they would beat them.  If the Devils become even a little formidable and look like they might actually give them a game, they will be cancelled faster than you can say "8 game conference schedule". At the end of the day they want WINS and if they even for a second think they could lose the game, they'll trip over themselves backing out of them...and that's why I believe they cancelled on us and won't schedule any more against us.

I don't know. 7 SEC teams are playing in the 8 highest ranked out-of-conference games in 2024. This includes Georgia vs Clemson, Bama at Wisconsin, LSU vs both SC and UCLA, and Texas at Michigan. This is because they know that SOS will finally matter, we all hope at least, come 2024 and a 12-team playoff field. 

I don't see a buyout of what is likely to be a better program under Dilly but IMO will not challenge for a Pac-10 title any time soon. 

On 6/13/2023 at 9:29 PM, 1Funduck said:

@Jon Joseph

I agree about having to play D. But, I'm looking over the transfer Portal Roster for U$C. I believe they are about 1 season away from scaring the skirts off some B1G teams with an improved Defensive roster. Also, CW may leave after next year, or he may receive a 'Stay to Play, Pay' offer from the U$C alums. 

If he stays, that team is only going to rise in quality players. By a lot IMO.

Great take. But I don't see it happening if the Grinch who stole defense is still on board. Someone has to get the better talent playing together. And this is it for Caleb Williams who will be extremely difficult to replace in terms of on-field accomplishments.

In 2024 SC opens against LSU in Las Vegas. We'll see or we won't see the progress SC has made on D up to 2024 and whether a rookie QB will have the chops to take down an SEC blue blood with a coach very experienced in playing against Troy. 

In 2024, I don't see SC being better than #4 in the B1G behind Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. And I think Fickel at Wisconsin who is bringing the O into the 21st century will also be very competitive. Plus, traveling 15,000+ miles will be a toll on amateur athletes who have responsibilities pros who travel these distances do not have to deal with. Playing Michigan and even Iowa in LA in 2024 will not be easy.  Neither will be playing at Ohio State come 2025. 

How many Pac titles has SC won recently? 1 with Sam Darnold at QB and SC has yet to make the playoff and I don't believe it does so in 2024 even with the field expanding to 12 teams. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1