Charles Fischer

Holy Crap! An Athlete at QB for Oregon Like THIS?

Running a 10.4 in the 100 meters would be fantastic for a receiver or running back...but a quarterback?  And he had these kind of hops?  Wowsa.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I could see Moga moving up in the rankings before signing day. 

For a lot of Oregon's 3-star recruits right now I can see them moving up in the rankings as well. I feel this staff has done a good job getting in on some talent early, when they are lower ranked, and then the talent will shoot up as the season comes around. That will also help our end rankings. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see the offense bringing in QB2 for a couple series in the game for a change of pace like the J14 steam roller last year. Could be a way of keeping 4-5 star back ups invested in staying with the team rather than transferring out.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:30 AM, David Marsh said:

I could see Moga moving up in the rankings before signing day. 

For a lot of Oregon's 3-star recruits right now I can see them moving up in the rankings as well. I feel this staff has done a good job getting in on some talent early, when they are lower ranked, and then the talent will shoot up as the season comes around. That will also help our end rankings. 

Moga has already moved up from 3-Star to 4-Star on Rivals.  Another example of the coaches seeing the upside before the analysts do!

It was assumed that Moga was recruited because he throws a really nice long-ball, which matches up with what Will Stein wants.  But this guy has more 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Marcus had, has some pretty good wheels, but not sub 11. He is still on his high school top ten in long jump, and having a physical specimen at qb helps.

I will say the most important muscle for the qb is the one between his ears. The decision making, processing speed of a qb is the key ingredient, and one not easily measured. Also the leadership ability, which Nix seems to have in spades.

Hopefully our back-ups can glean some of Nix's knowledge and wisdom on being a qb at the college level. 

As much as most of us loved Dilly he had no college playing experience, none at qb. Stein brings that knowledge, and hopefully can be a better qb whisperer for our back-ups.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

This may be the kind of speed QBs really need:

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

The S2 Cognition test has become one of the more discussed predictor tools ahead of the NFL draft. But what is it? The...

S2 may put a number on a qb’s productive potential, but it can’t measure the player’s drive, desire and determination that leads to that achievement.

What I love about Young is how he never lets momentary failures affect his focus on the over all goal to succeed.  He’s a prime example of how you learn from your mistakes in game time, and turn those into advantages.

The back door advantage to not being the most athletic or having the strongest throwing arm is the willingness to learn how to maximize what you do have - if you have the desire to do so.

You don’t need S2 to see that in Young.

This is going to be so interesting to watch, and adds to the drama of the future.  If this young man has the mental intangibles discussed above along with the incredible physical attributes? He could be the best QB ever at Oregon.

Class of 2024 QB Luke Moga 'Super Happy' for Syracuse Offer - Sports  Illustrated Syracuse Orange News, Analysis and More

Calm down Charles!

• Haha 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2023 at 11:57 AM, jrw said:

This may be the kind of speed QBs really need:

WWW.SPORTINGNEWS.COM

The S2 Cognition test has become one of the more discussed predictor tools ahead of the NFL draft. But what is it? The...

Wow. A way to measure the intangibles. 

Who'd have thunk it.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:17 PM, cartm25 said:

Amen! to the importance of the mind.

I liked your take but I’ve got to give my man, Dilly, a shout out.

Nix was in the middle of a declining collegiate career, nearing “bust” status, before Dilly whispered in his ear and he suddenly became a Heisman contender overnight.

For obvious reasons I hope Stein makes us all forget Dillingham, but if I could go back in time and alter the past/future, I’d make sure we saw a second year of the Dilly/Nix combo.

Dilly coached a 5* coaches kid up. Pick a 3* kid nobody knows about and coach him up to a Heisman, and then you have my attention. Helfrich was one hell of a qb coach, when that was his job.

I also think Stein has a pretty easy job this season as long as Nix stays healthy. The big test happens if Nix goes down, and when Nix leaves. I hope Stein is half the qb coach Helfrich was, and probably still is.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

I hope Stein is half the QB coach Helfrich was, and probably still is.

The end analysis for me?  I look at the incredible job Will Stein did this last year with an injured, incompetent offensive line setting records, AND my faith in Dan Lanning.  He knows how to hire, and I believe we will score points this year just like last year.

USATSI_20243014.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/30/2023 at 10:05 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Running a 10.4 in the 100 meters would be fantastic for a receiver or running back...but a quarterback?  And he had these kind of hops?  Wowsa.

Shades of Kyler Murray!

On 6/30/2023 at 5:34 PM, Haywarduck said:

Dilly coached a 5* coaches kid up. Pick a 3* kid nobody knows about and coach him up to a Heisman, and then you have my attention. Helfrich was one hell of a qb coach, when that was his job.

I also think Stein has a pretty easy job this season as long as Nix stays healthy. The big test happens if Nix goes down, and when Nix leaves. I hope Stein is half the qb coach Helfrich was, and probably still is.

I think DL has pretty good instincts seeing talent. Stein is Lannings hire. Ducks are in good hands imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moga's deep balls are anything to behold, great touch and accuracy. In his Junior year highlight video he makes a lot of perfect deep throws hitting the receiver in stride.

I think the main reason that he was underrated was due to the number of drops from his receivers which didn't translate into stats. 

Glad to see the QB position looks stocked for the future.

Luke Moga could end up being the ultimate sleeper recruit, like that 3-Star guy from Hawaii, or the 3-Star guy from Eugene who only had offers from Montana State, Portland State and Oregon!

Justin Herbert_Chargers Twitter.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

Mr. FishDuck