Charles Fischer

CEO Group via Canzano on Pac-12 Media Deal: 'It Will Be Worth the Wait'

I cannot copy the entire paywall article, and I would certainly subscribe to John's work, as it is worth it.  With that, there are some tasty nuggets in his writings...

--The Disney CEO announced how the company is looking to sell an equity stake in ESPN to attract a partner for it's direct-to-consumers streaming game-plan.

--Canzano is wondering out loud how this all might be meshing with the talks between ESPN and the Pac-12?  Could this be a reason for the delays?

--A member of the Pac-12 CEO group admitted to John that, "Not a reach. Disney and others going through serious shifts in last months.”

--Canzano suggests that ESPN could end up in partnership with Apple, Amazon or Google, companies that have the needed funding--that are already streaming live-sports programming?

--Couple the fit of the Pac-12 Network infrastructure with a streaming partner such as Apple or Amazon...and this might match up well for all parties involved!

--Is the selling of ESPN equity and the major shift going on between cost-cutting at Disney and ESPN a good or bad thing?

The Pac-12 CEO Group member felt that this shift and delay is “eventually good," and "will be worth the wait.”

A ton to digest...

giphy.gif

This might just work out well for the Pac-12,

and leave the other conferences wincing!

• Let’s hope! 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I thought about calling into John's radio show today. I managed to be the first call taken last month before the NBA draft when Damian Lillard commented on a short list of teams that he'd be OK being traded to. My analysis: draft Scoot if available and trade Dame if necessary.

Anyway, I wanted to call today because just before going to commercial he said something like, "I think the Pac-12 is in a great position here to be the first conference to test the streaming market."

Whaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt? Ha! How on earth would it be advantageous to be the first ones to stream, where people are struggling with the transition? Is the PAC-12 getting a $50M signing bonus for their troubles?

I don't mean to be to dismissive, I just don't see the upside of being given a beta testing product. I know John is just trying to be positive.

* I meant to add that John was talking about ESPN moving towards streaming. And, I'm saying....OK...well that's nice for them, but we need linear TV, and we need linear TV now!

charlie_choc.gif

Edited by 2002duck
Meant to point out ESPN potentially not being linear
  • Yikes! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am going to wait and see what the media deal entails before condemning it.

We have discussed it extensively before, but there are some big advantages to being first.  It would be nice to lead, and have others play catch-up.

We will double our audience with streaming, and Oregon will especially benefit.

P.S. We don’t need a bad deal now, we need a good deal in the next 11 months.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Here's a funny thought: depending on the size of the equity stake in ESPN, what if the Pac12 were to buy it?

Then the conferences' sports games could be integrated in by force and get both linear and streaming through the network.

• Mic drop 1
  • Like 1

Well its easy to be upset and frustrated by the changes that are taking place in the linear 5 market....

Consider these thoughts......

Because millions and i mean millions of viewers have cut the linear cord that means that networks on cable (espn, fs1, etc) have less viewers. Less viewers means less dollars in advertising fees...

That means less dollars to operate your network. Thus the layoffs at ESPN. ESPN is in financial trouble and is up for sale. That linear option is fading fast. Its a fact that we begrudgingly may have to accept.

The top Disney/ESPN  are moving to all streaming because they are gambling that we will pay a monthly subscription fee to get our sports fix. That cuts out a middle man. 

It is clear that they dont have or dont want to spend the money to move into streaming. ESPN needs a bailout........

For those of us fans that want a linear option for the PAC and our Ducks, let me pose this question...

What linear network(s) are knocking down the PAC's door with money and a linear media rights contract?

The PAC does not offer alot of must see games. The value is not there. After Dark has value and that is probably the linear option for the PAC. But that will come at TIER 2 pricing........

Bad timing and poor decision making have placed the PAC in a weakened position. The market and culture is shifting to streaming.

Streaming may be the only lifeboat the PAC has. And thats okay.....

I agree with Charles that we should wait for all the final details to come out before passing judgement. And streaming will easily double the PAC's viewing numbers.

It is clear that no linear network views the PAC for primetime dollars, at this point. Streaming at least offers oppoetunuty and dollars.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 7/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

That linear option is fading fast. Its a fact that we begrudgingly may have to accept.

I do not think that most are making that accurate observation.  Like you, I believe it is fading very fast, thus the major shifts going on, and I believe the Pac-12 can benefit.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:22 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

The top Disney/ESPN  are moving to all streaming because they are gambling that we will pay a monthly subscription fee to get our sports fix. That cuts out a middle man. 

I think most of us have forgotten the impact of removing the networks--this could put more money in the conference's pocket eventually? 

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/14/2023 at 2:14 AM, 2002duck said:

I thought about calling into John's radio show today. I managed to be the first call taken last month before the NBA draft when Damian Lillard commented on a short list of teams that he'd be OK being traded to. My analysis: draft Scoot if available and trade Dame if necessary.

Anyway, I wanted to call today because just before going to commercial he said something like, "I think the Pac-12 is in a great position here to be the first conference to test the streaming market."

Whaaaaaaaaatttttttttttt? Ha! How on earth would it be advantageous to be the first ones to stream, where people are struggling with the transition? Is the PAC-12 getting a $50M signing bonus for their troubles?

I don't mean to be to dismissive, I just don't see the upside of being given a beta testing product. I know John is just trying to be positive.

* I meant to add that John was talking about ESPN moving towards streaming. And, I'm saying....OK...well that's nice for them, but we need linear TV, and we need linear TV now!

charlie_choc.gif

How about the folks who bought into Microsoft's initial public offering? And this is not as risky by any means. It's clear with Disney's recent reiteration that ESPN will be moving to all-streaming sooner rather than later that streaming athletic events is the wave of the not-so-distant future. Cord cutting has given Disney/ESPN little choice in the matter.

Access to streaming apps and switching from app to app will be streamlined and broadcast quality will improve. Recording events streamed will improve. In recent streaming news, UTube is paying $2B for NFL Sunday night broadcast rights; DirecTV was paying $1B for the same inventory. 

As an old timer, I feel your pain but technology advances whether we like it or not and people have voted and are voting by cutting the cord.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 7/14/2023 at 3:02 AM, kirklandduck said:

Here's a funny thought: depending on the size of the equity stake in ESPN, what if the Pac12 were to buy it?

Then the conferences' sports games could be integrated in by force and get both linear and streaming through the network.

I doubt the $ is there, from state legislatures and otherwise to fund the acquisition price. You would need a lot of Uncle Phil's to pull this off. And ESPN managed by a committee of Pac-10 presidents? I've seen this movie before and it's a horror movie. 

image.thumb.gif.abc5da605bf718a0613e518ed8b1a920.gif

• Haha 1

Charles and HappyToBeADuck stated it well.

Look what happened to the brick and mortar stores/malls.  They started disappearing due to a new way of shopping via online with Amazon, etc.  What is happening is sort of the same way.  People are cutting the cord and going by the way of streaming.  It's the new way of doing business.  This is what's going to happen with linear tv.

Linear will never be the same.  Big money will be in the streaming business.  Hopefully Pac-12 will benefit from it with a solid media contract.

I agree with Charles.  I'm seeing Oregon will benefit greatly.  Helping expand their brand and fanbase.

• Thumbs Up 5

I cut cable 4 years ago, not a single regret. I stream at an average of 600mbps with reliability at or better than cable. 

A multi-partner streaming deal could easily dwarf anything the SEC/BIG has in place. None of this concerns me. What does concern me is the competence of GK and the presidents who have a solid history of poor decision making, this is all on them at the moment. 

Fingers crossed!

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Here is another data point for you all.  Apple and Google have both seen declining profits in the last couple of years.  Amazon is the only hugely profitable group among the three.  So if any streaming service signs on the dotted line, Amazon and its 175 million subscribers have the juice.

One the other hand, I have a dream.  Let's call my dream The Nike Network.  And it carries the PAC at 50 mil per team.  Hahaaaaa........

• Applause 1

On 7/13/2023 at 11:14 PM, 2002duck said:

But we really aren't beta testing it at this point.

I've been streaming games in some way shape or form for over a decade now. I used a friend's Comcast account for years to stream games. 

It worked just fine on significantly worse internet and a setup than I have now. I used to plug a computer into the TV back then. Now I can use a remote to access the apps on my TV to stream games. 

Are there some issues... Sure... But compared to ten years ago it's smooth.

I know rural areas have more issues with internet than urban areas and I live in Portland so I definitely have better access to internet than those in more rural areas. So I can see some difficulties for those in more rural areas. 

When it comes to the tech to stream... A Chromecast or a Roku make it very easy. Personally I like the Chromecast better because you can stream stuff from your phone to the tv nice and easy.... In a lot of ways it's easier than trying to use a remote and navigating menus.

If the PAC announces a deal that includes streaming I'll write an article on FishDuck about the easiest ways to get streaming set up. Once it's set up actually feels like linear TV and set up these days is pretty easy but I understand it can be daunting if you don't know. 

Streaming is the future but it's also the present. I know younger generations will have easier times adapting than older ones. 

I'm not trying to be dismissive but it's where everything is going and again I'd be happy to write an article about how to best get duck games in a non-linear fashion.

It would just be nice to know what services they will be using but I can probably start writing one now as next season I'll be completely without cable and streaming all the games. 

And for the PAC... Getting in early may be here the money is and they can leverage the that pac-12 network debacle that Larry Scott made into potentially a major asset. It's not a beta product anymore... It's all about ensuring they can get the audience and that might take a year or two to ramp up as people get used to the transition. But let's also face it..  the Pac-12 network doesn't have much of an audience on linear TV as it is right now. 

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have been opposed to the PAC going to a streaming service.  Let's face it.  I'm old.  Really old.  And I won't venture into the dark night of streaming except screaming and hollering.  

So, if you hear a plaintive voice, screeching in the distance.  It's me.  It's called Streaming Screaming!  I'm still a staunch advocate of satellite, and for good reasons.  But yesterday I installed my first streaming device.  (UGH.)  A devil that goes by the name Roku dragged me by my heals into the New World.  (Couple more UGHs.)

Bless me Sat Daddy for I have sinned ............. 

😉

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2

On 7/14/2023 at 11:18 AM, Mudslide said:

So, if you hear a plaintive voice, screeching in the distance.  It's me.  It's called Streaming Screaming!  I'm still a staunch advocate of satellite, and for good reasons.  But yesterday I installed my first streaming device.  (UGH.)  A devil that goes by the name Roku dragged me by my heals into the New World.  (Couple more UGHs.)

Roku is pretty straightforward... And it's just about getting your feet wet at this point. Don't need to dive into the deep end just yet and go exclusive streaming. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:09 AM, David Marsh said:

"I know rural areas have more issues with internet than urban areas and I live in Portland so I definitely have better access to internet than those in more rural areas. So I can see some difficulties for those in more rural areas."

It's true about rural areas, but there aren't as many potential subscribers there and the availability of good internet connections is rapidly increasing. I live in a rural area and at the end of a one mile long private driveway. Last year, I had fiber installed to my house with no cost to me because the provider got grants for rural connections. They are a pretty small provider but just passed 15,000 subscribers in mostly rural parts of Oregon. I signed up for their slowest connection, 250Mbs both upload and download but 2.5Gbs is available at a reasonable cost (around $125 per month). For me, streaming is the way to go.

If the PAC announces a deal that includes streaming I'll write an article on FishDuck about the easiest ways to get streaming set up.

This will be a great service to OBD members and readers, and the subsequent sharing of information by others here on the forum will be so incredibly helpful.  I will make it a Pinned Post at the top for a long time, and bring it back often as people need it.

I really believe that it is much easier than people envision.  (The ones who are concerned)  And for those who cannot install or figure it out, (like ME) you hire a tech guy, and once it's done, it's done!

• Applause 2

Mr. FishDuck

If the PAC announces a deal that includes streaming I'll write an article on FishDuck about the easiest ways to get streaming set up. Once it's set up actually feels like linear TV

Better start writing! I feel this is inevitable. Very kind of you to make this offer to help.

• Thumbs Up 2

Speaking of media deals, this just happened...

WWW.ESPN.COM

This fall, the ACC will begin airing football and basketball events on the CW Network, a new addition to the league's Saturday...

On 7/14/2023 at 11:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

This will be a great service to OBD members and readers

Absolutely!

On 7/14/2023 at 11:48 AM, Charles Fischer said:

I really believe that it is much easier than people envision

It's almost too easy -- if you're not careful you can end up having more subscriptions than you want!  I have actually never had cable, though I get a few local stations with my old "rabbit ears."  Streaming suits me just fine.

• Thanks 1

On 7/14/2023 at 4:07 PM, kirklandduck said:

Speaking of media deals, this just happened...

WWW.ESPN.COM

This fall, the ACC will begin airing football and basketball events on the CW Network, a new addition to the league's Saturday...

How is it that other conferences are able to announce deals during this time? Is George K the right guy to negotiate?

On 7/14/2023 at 2:02 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

How is it that other conferences are able to announce deals during this time? Is George K the right guy to negotiate?

To be fair, negotiating a deal with the CW channel is probably a lot easier than the giant media companies the Pac12 is jousting with right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Huh.  So all those people out East tuning into ACC games could see Pac-12 games later in the day if we struck a deal with CW?

How this works out between Tier 1 and Tier 2 rights between TV and streaming is going to be fascinating, and has to be complex as heck figuring out right now.

• Wow 1

Mr. FishDuck

Notice their was NO MENTION of the financial or media rights dollars involved.

Is the CW paying for media rights or just providing a platform?

Remember CW did not spend a dime to broadcast LIV Golf,  it just provides a platform. Let that sink in for a few minutes......

LIV provides all the production equipment, staffing, and on air talent on their dime. They get the advertisers lined up. Then LIV and CW split the profts.

CW is not providing the production or incurring these costs to broadcast the ACC games.

Most likely no money was mentioned or announced because no media rights fees are involved.

The only conference more desperate than the PAC for money is the ACC. When the BIG and SEC are banking over $100 million per by 2030, the ACC will be making 1/5th that money until 2036.

Kudos for the ACC doing something

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Notice their was NO MENTION of the financial or media rights dollars involved.

Remember CW did not spend a dime to broadcast LIV Golf,  it just provides a platform. Let that sink in for a few minutes......

LIV provides all the production equipment, staffing, and on air talent on their dime. They get the advertisers lined up. Then LIV and CW split the profts.

CW is not providing the production or incurring these costs to broadcast the ACC games.

Most likely no money was mentioned or announced because no media rights fees are involved.

The only conference more desperate than the PAC for money is the ACC. When the BIG and SEC are banking over $100 million per by 2030, the ACC will be making 1/5th that money until 2036.

Kudos for the ACC doing something

Under that model I can imagine the Pac12 doing well with that given they already have the Pac12 Network facilities to produce the content, then make a deal with the CW or Ion for wide distribution across all the markets they have access to.  Imagine getting all our games broadcast over the air in most of the country without dealing with the giant conglomerates...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/14/2023 at 3:17 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Something I read said that it looks like ESPN will be doing at least some production. So it's probably just a platform. 

On the PAC side of things oddly enough a big thing (that is also making everything more complicated) is that we actually have a production capacity. Larry Scott created the pac-12 network in what was a massive folly... But it's built and now an asset if it's leveraged correctly. 

CW, Amazon, Apple and any other streaming platforms doesn't have the production... But the pac-12 can provide that but that comes at a cost to the streamer which they know they must incurr.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

C'mon...you have to admit...it's funny!

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If Oregon’s primary objective is to win a national championship (vs. simply chasing the media dollars, given Oregon’s athletic department already operates with a significant annual operating surplus), as the alleged consulting report indicated, then they will need the exposure that broadcast television provides until/if streaming becomes the norm for college football fans, media and voters. Adoption of streaming may be slower in other parts of the country (vs. out West).

Hopefully, the PAC-12 can sign a deal that provides the best of both worlds (e.g., sell the most attractive game(s) of the week to broadcast T.V. to maximize exposure) while streaming the other games.  

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Like 1

On 7/14/2023 at 11:27 AM, David Marsh said:

Roku is pretty straightforward... And it's just about getting your feet wet at this point. Don't need to dive into the deep end just yet and go exclusive streaming. 

For me the problem lies with the lack of recording options with no skipping some ads, FF or FR options, and limited selections (without paying for multiple services).  And, of course, the cost will certainly be greater in the long run, as well ... especially with a la carte pay-per-view about to saturate the streaming world.

Oh wait, I still have a vcr around here somewhere.  What was I thinking?!  I can record streamed shows, after all.  🤪  😂  New age meets old age.  Who knew?  Now, where is my wife's dust rag ..... ?

More seriously, is it possible to record a Ducks game aired (aired?) on Google (without using a vcr)?

• Thumbs Up 1

I have streamed almost all games for quite a few years now..  Just saying!