Charles Fischer

What? Oregon Has One of CFB's EASIEST Schedules?

Look, I've respected the work of PFF in the past....but this is classic east-coast-never-watched-the-games-ignoring-five-in-the-top-25 garbage.  It makes me much more skeptical of their work going forward...

Mr. FishDuck

Pathetic click bait

• Thumbs Up 2

On 7/17/2023 at 12:07 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Look, I've respected the work of PFF in the past....but this is classic east-coast-never-watched-the-games-ignoring-five-in-the-top-25 garbage.  It makes me much more skeptical of their work going forward...

USC with a game at South Bend and having to play Oregon, Utah, and UW along with another 6 conference games has it easy? The Ducks play all 4 Pac-12 'favorites' in 2023 with 2 of the games on the road and play at TX Tech, a team predicted to finish 4th in the B12. Washington State plays Wisconsin OOC and also, of course, plays 9 conference games. If a Pac-12 team deserves to be on this list it's UCLA. 

I agree Charles, for PFF this is off-the-wall. Frankly, unexpected bias.

This just in. Games versus Missouri, Kentucky, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Ole Miss, last seen dropping its 5th game in a row in a bowl beat down authored by Texas Tech, are not opponents like no other in college football. And A+M didn't make a bowl game last season. And in the B1G, what teams other than Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State offer superior competition?

SMH.

😵image.thumb.gif.170ac4b039dc6463a87ebe578510cc1c.gif

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

College Football News is pretty good at this stuff. Here is a projected 2023 preseason AP Poll.

5 of Oregon's 2023 opponents make this list including Texas Tech at 25.

https://collegefootballnews.com/cfn/ap-poll-top-25-preseason-projection-2023-rankings-prediction

Not going to try and hype up our OOC schedule. It's pretty weak outside of Texas Tech which is kinda the equivalent of scheduling another good Washington State team (not saying this year's WSU team is going to be good but you should get the idea... Dangerous if you don't take care of business as a more talented team). 

But the pac-12 conference slate is pretty brutal and I'd be hard pressed to find a way to make it much more difficult, being as we can't play both LA schools in a given year. 

Maybe exchange Colorado for Arizona would make it more difficult.

But otherwise you can't have a much more difficult schedule in the PAC. Oregon plays Washington, USC, Oregon state and Utah. With Oregon those are probably the top 5 teams out west.

But more east.coadt bias... Do we even play football this far west? 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:29 PM, David Marsh said:

Not going to try and hype up our OOC schedule. It's pretty weak outside of Texas Tech which is kinda the equivalent of scheduling another good Washington State team (not saying this year's WSU team is going to be good but you should get the idea... Dangerous if you don't take care of business as a more talented team). 

But the pac-12 conference slate is pretty brutal and I'd be hard pressed to find a way to make it much more difficult, being as we can't play both LA schools in a given year. 

Maybe exchange Colorado for Arizona would make it more difficult.

But otherwise you can't have a much more difficult schedule in the PAC. Oregon plays Washington, USC, Oregon state and Utah. With Oregon those are probably the top 5 teams out west.

But more east.coadt bias... Do we even play football this far west? 

How about, NO!

image.gif.228760ecd97cc47371cea39d3282ae68.gif

When it comes to sports mediaites, it’s rarely what they say, but rather what compels them to say it that interests me most. In other words, the hidden, little kid fan that lives in each of us.

At PFF, 30 analysts are listed on their web page. Of those 30, five have no biographical data that I could find. Two are from the UK, and one from Germany.

Of the remaining 22, seven grew-up in the midwest, ten on the east coast, two in the southeast, and three out west.

The breakdown by area of where they went to college places six in the Midwest, four in the southeast, nine on the east coast and three in the west.

By major conference, three are SEC, five are B1G, one is ACC, one is Big East, one is Ivy League, and one is PAC10.

When it comes to the media-driven feeding frenzy that seems to infect many sites like PFF (located in Cincinnati OH) regarding the demise of the PAC10, it’s hard not to see them as no longer critically unbiased, but rather just preaching to the choir.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ugh.  I would not call UW in Seattle, Utah in SLC and TT in Lubbock easy.  USC at Autzen will be a tough one.   Yes the vibe will be crazy and if it's a 5PM game the crowd should be well hydrated so it will make for a fun game and on top of that it's in November.😉 

This is what I mean about these pre-season drivel, expose's etc.  Just a bunch of people sitting in front of a computer and cranking out click bait.

Sure there are some that are well done but there are fewer of them than the click bait specials.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:26 PM, Augduck said:

Sure there are some that are well done but there are fewer of them than the click bait specials.

But sometines click bait gives us something to talk about on these long summer days with basically no football news. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Not certain this will be of interest, but the Georgia crowd generally has very little respect for PFF, often  claiming that their assessments of many issues are off the wall. Personally, I was  shocked to see Oregon on the easiest schedule list. Even if one had the thought that the PAC-12 is "soft" which I don't, Oregon is going against the best of the conference, and I'll add  that road games in Lubbock are a struggle, even for  Big-12 powers. Texas has had their hearts broken in the Panhandle more often than they care to remember. If the Ducks get er done there, that is a  quality win in  my book.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Isn't the list just Power 5 teams listed in order of the record their 2023 opponents had in 2022?

I don't think it is a particularly good method to do this; but, it's hard to get on PFF, they are just doing the math and putting up a list, not expressing an opinion.

I haven't done the math; and, I would say it's pretty silly not to list the winning percentages of the future opponents, if that is what your list is based on.

But, I imagine Oregon makes the list because Portland State only won 4, Hawaii only won 3, Stanford only won 3, Cal only won 4, Arizona State only won 3, and Colorado only won 1, that's seems to be all.

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thumbs Up 1

Sorry, PFF to me is not reliable. 

• Thumbs Up 1

PFF is the worst. Texas Tech will be a road game against a likely top 20 team. Then you have in conference pre-season top 20 matchups in Washington, Utah, USC, and Oregon St. By no means is that an easy schedule.

Meanwhile the SEC is playing an 8 game conference schedule and that conference is conspicuously missing from the list.

• Thumbs Up 2

Of course Oregon has an easier schedule!!!

They don't have to play Oregon.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1