lownslowav8r

Justin Williams to Georgia

Are the Ducks going to have any consensus 5-stars? Seems like we should not go an entire recruiting cycle without one or two.

• Let’s hope! 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:27 PM, 2002duck said:

Are the Ducks going to have any consensus 5-stars? Seems like we should not go an entire recruiting cycle without one or two.

These losses sting... But there are still quite a few in play. 

There are a couple of things to keep in mind right now. 

1) Oregon needs a good showing this season. Making the playoff would be huge and could swing some momentum out way. The CFP invitees are announced before early signing day. Oregon doesn't really stop recruiting even when someone commits. 

2) If NIL was an issue then Oregon's division Street will probably make some plays on some recruits down the stretch. No point getting into a bidding war in July. 

We'll have to see where things shake out in the end. But Georgia is a machine right now.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:50 PM, David Marsh said:

These losses sting... But there are still quite a few in play. 

There are a couple of things to keep in mind right now. 

1) Oregon needs a good showing this season. Making the playoff would be huge and could swing some momentum out way. The CFP invitees are announced before early signing day. Oregon doesn't really stop recruiting even when someone commits. 

2) If NIL was an issue then Oregon's division Street will probably make some plays on some recruits down the stretch. No point getting into a bidding war in July. 

We'll have to see where things shake out in the end. But Georgia is a machine right now.

It's my understanding that Oregon has solid NIL support, but they WILL NOT get into bidding wars. They encourage players to wait for the real (big) $$.

Williams would have been nice...lost him to a team playing similar defence and great coaching...we'll get the next one.

Can't win 'em all. But Dan has a whole lot of skin in the game and will get his share of quality recruits.

Making the final Final 4 would help but what also helps UGA and other SEC teams is the number of players they send to the NFL. A fact that's hard to overcome.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 7/24/2023 at 5:50 PM, David Marsh said:

1) Oregon needs a good showing this season.

Absolutely.  Technically....Oregon is punching above its weight class in how we are recruiting with a 10 win season.  Utah, Washington and Oregon State are not doing as well, and even USC trails Oregon in recruiting nationally.  We will end up with a top-10 ten class, with a real shot at a top-5 before it is over...IMHO.  (No. 6 at Rivals now)

HC2 more duck joy.jpg

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/24/2023 at 8:27 PM, 2002duck said:

Good chance for Brandon Baker I think.  Baker would be a huge get.  Truth is though, you don’t need to sign multiple or even one 5 stars to have a great recruiting class.  Sure they look sexy in the media, but  even they aren’t a sure thing.  The Ducks have good evaluation and coaching IMO.  Looking pretty good to me.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/24/2023 at 6:19 PM, DanLduck said:

It's my understanding that Oregon has solid NIL support, but they WILL NOT get into bidding wars. They encourage players to wait for the real (big) $$.

Williams would have been nice...lost him to a team playing similar defence and great coaching...we'll get the next one.

Well what we can take away from recruiting battles over the past few years that yeah... Oregon won't get into a bidding war, at least not until the very end of the signing period. 

Oregon has shown signs of getting more aggressive with nil right before signing. Josh Connerly became a bit of a bidding war between Oregon and USC. Oregon won, by the sound of it, because they had a stronger relationship with Connerly and they were able to effectively match USC's bid which was previously above Oregon's. This was all done right before Connerly signed so the time frame was restricted. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Big Shocker 

Georgia is hard to go against in the ILB sweepstakes because of the almost ridiculous success Glenn Schuman has had developing his charges and getting them drafted highly in the NFL. He has two preseason All-SEC backers this year (three if you count Jalon Walker on the 3rd team, a guy who will play  a lot but maybe never start a game this year). They also have three incoming (now on campus) ILBs  all of whom were in the top 6 ILB recruits  in the 2023 class. And they have another 5-star ILB recruit in this class, although speculation has it that he will decommit now that JW has committed to the Dawgs.

However, there is absolutely no  reason for fellow Duck fans to be down in the dumps  about Duck  recruiting. Consider that this is only Lanning's  second year upcoming. Also, I have been impressed with the number of absolute stud recruits that Georgia  has gone hard after this year that have the Ducks in their top four or five when they drop their top schools. That is a  very good  sign for the future, particularly after the Ducks make the playoffs a couple of times in the next 3-4 years.

Both me and SoGaDawg think OT Baker is very likely a Duck. If so, rejoice, for championships are won up front and the Ducks  badly need more trench monsters.

• Salute 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 6

After our experience with Noah and Justin, the transfer portal may be the best route to elite LB play. Players commit to programs where they get tired of losing. Players also commit to programs where they sit too long and want a chance to compete.

Oregon just needs to take care of their own business and the recruits and transfers will play out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/25/2023 at 1:33 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Georgia is hard to go against in the ILB sweepstakes because of the almost ridiculous success Glenn Schuman has had developing his charges and getting them drafted highly in the NFL. He has two preseason All-SEC backers this year (three if you count Jalon Walker on the 3rd team, a guy who will play  a lot but maybe never start a game this year). They also have three incoming (now on campus) ILBs  all of whom were in the top 6 ILB recruits  in the 2023 class. And they have another 5-star ILB recruit in this class, although speculation has it that he will decommit now that JW has committed to the Dawgs.

However, there is absolutely no  reason for fellow Duck fans to be down in the dumps  about Duck  recruiting. Consider that this is only Lanning's  second year upcoming. Also, I have been impressed with the number of absolute stud recruits that Georgia  has gone hard after this year that have the Ducks in their top four or five when they drop their top schools. That is a  very good  sign for the future, particularly after the Ducks make the playoffs a couple of times in the next 3-4 years.

Both me and SoGaDawg think OT Baker is very likely a Duck. If so, rejoice, for championships are won up front and the Ducks  badly need more trench monsters.

Thanks, ND. Sending players on to the League makes a big difference. And there is no doubt that the SEC is the best at sending players to the NFL. THIS is tough to recruit against.

On 7/25/2023 at 10:31 AM, Haywarduck said:

After our experience with Noah and Justin, the transfer portal may be the best route to elite LB play. Players commit to programs where they get tired of losing. Players also commit to programs where they sit too long and want a chance to compete.

Oregon just needs to take care of their own business and the recruits and transfers will play out.

Great take. I'd add Flowe. And all the best to the young man who was and remains a great Duck but Sewell, who I think was a 4* recruit, was a better fit for the game when thumping meant more than versatility. As Charles notes, you need 'freaks' to play DL's (and Kirby Smart's) style of D.

The portal gives you a look at a player vs college-level competition. Most 5* deserve the ranking, but some of these guys will not be able to transition from HS to big-time CFB.

I'm asking this seriously, as I really have no idea--how much difference is there in how 4-star recruits pan out in comparison to 5-star recruits?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

5-star recruits usually pan out although their likelihood of becoming a first-round NFL recruit for a composite 5-star (as is the prediction for a composite 5-star) is not very good. 4-stars are a wide class of young men. The people who follow recruiting extensively tell me that all are very good high school players but maybe one-third to one-half of them achieve that same level of "stardom" in college, and many never play much. 

Noah was a 5-star recruit (don't remember if he was a composite but I think he was).. The recruiting freaks on the Georgia boards said that he was by far the best ILB in the country that year. Kirby and ILB coach Glenn Schuman wanted him bad, but playing with his brother won out. Yet, I often wonder what Noah would have become had he came to Georgia and had been developed by Coach Schumann.

As for portal additions at ILB, I know that the very strong Georgia preference is to get great guys out of high school and coach them up. One potential problem with portal additions is they may not fit the emerging/existing team culture, and I'm guessing that team culture is very important to Dan Lanning. Georgia took three portal additions this year, all from the SEC and one of those guys is already gone for not fitting in. Georgia has had some great portal additions, but they are extensively vetted and are  more likely to be taken if they are a plug and play option.

• Thumbs Up 3

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

Georgia football landed another five-star defender in Justin Williams on Monday night and the Bulldogs are recruiting at a...

Well  as I mentioned  above I believe, the Dawgs lost a 5-star LB commit today after earning the Williams commitment. But this has been expected and have already lined up a couple stud ILB prospects, one of whom will replace the departed. The point: This article on Georgia recruiting for 2024 is right on point.