Pennsylvania Duck

ACC Eyeing Oregon, Washington with Pac-12 Reeling From Colorado’s Exit

ACC eyeing Oregon, Washington with Pac-12 reeling from Colorado’s exit

The ACC has reportedly looked into the possibility of luring Oregon and Washington away from the Pac-12 in conference expansion.

The SEC and Big Ten have been the leaders in conference expansion, adding some of the top college football programs.

Colorado is the latest school to make a change, agreeing to bolt the Pac-12 for the Big 12. Will the ACC get involved?

Nothing is imminent, but the ACC is reportedly weighing its options.

This might be of interest to those of you advocating a Coast-to-Coast conference...

CLUTCHPOINTS.COM

The ACC has reportedly looked into the possibility of luring Oregon and Washington away from the Pac-12 in conference expansion.

Oh goody.  Let's get into an even longer and worse contract...

But the athletes would get to spend a ton of time on airplanes!

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

99% of my brain says no way but that 1% that wants a Miami game says heck yes.

• Haha 1

No disrespect to the ACC, but no. Just no.

Sorry, no $$$ in the ACC.

This is click bait.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

The PAC 12 is not "reeling from Colorado's exit".

At least I'm not.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The ACC/Pac merger makes the most sense IMO for Oregon at this time. Lawyers loop the holes and this could be construed as a break up of the ACC which means the existing media deal with ESPN that runs through 2036 goes away. 

The ACC base deal stinks; however, the ACC due to ACC Network revenue distribution, delivered $40M to each member school in 2022. More than the B12 and the Pac-12 distributed. Call the combined conference what you will, Coast-to-Coast or otherwise, Oregon would get a viewing bump by being folded into what is today's ACC network owned and operated by ESPN and available on all major cable channels including DirecTV. Oregon would be a far bigger presence in the ACC than in the B1G. A full partner instead of a partner junior to Rutgers and Northwestern. I'd prefer to be a bigger Duck in a smaller pond than be behind Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Iowa, Wisconsin, and UCLA in terms of having influence in the B1G.

Oregon's viewer numbers are better than any ACC team other than Clemson. UW and Utah are right there with FSU. 

These would be the national rankings based on 2022 football viewership

6. Notre Dame - this would be the prize and could happen with ND getting a favored nation deal and the existing ACC football scheduling agreement with ND going away.

10. Clemson/ 12. Oregon/ 15. FSU/ 33. Utah/ 34. UW/ 41. Washington State/ 43. NC St/ 45. Cal/ 46. UNC/ 47. Stanford/ 48. Syracuse/ 49. Georgia Tech/ 56. Pitt/ 57. Oregon State/ 59. Miami/ 60. Wake/ 61. Arizona/ 62. Louisville/ 68. BC/ 70. ASU/ 75. VA Tech/ 78. UVA/ 93. Duke.

This would be a merger of equals with 4 Pac teams, excluding ND, being in the top 6 most watched. Oregon would have a great deal of influence in this scenario. And the numbers for CBB would be far better than the Pac-9 viewer numbers. 

Travel would be abated by going with divisions or with pod scheduling. 

I think that in the long run, this would be far better than following the B12 and adding a patchwork of G5 teams. This would drop more money to the bottom line today and this conference would clearly come in #3 in a Power 4. The ACC has already agreed that teams making the CFB and CBB playoffs will receive a bigger piece of the pie. 

Certainly, Oregon has more in common with ACC schools than it does with B12 schools. 

I wouldn't simply ignore this possibility for realignment. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

I agree with Jon.  Merger with ACC is likely the best choice going forward!

JJ, I am on board for  ACC/PAC merging in some fashion.

JJ, how much power or say would ESPN have, going forward, if the ACC had 8 teams leave. From what i have read it would take 8 or 9 schools agree to leave.

ESPN has the ACC on the cheap for 13 more years and very little interest in the PAC....

Somebody in the Media has to come up with the money to make this merger happen..........

The ACC and PAC have a real opportunity to be releavant and control their destiny.

However, someone has to pony up the dollars .....I dont see the linear carries making this happen. Unless FOX takes control, thus shutting out ESPN from 3 of the 4 P5 remaining conferences.

That leaves Streamers. The PAC cant bring the streamers to pen and paper, as is. How would the ACPACK be any different?

A simple media deal and minor expansion is too much for the PAC leadership. A merger would probably be even worse.

This conference, athletically needs ALL NEW LEADERSHIP......

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:47 AM, Jon Joseph said:

I've been saying it for months now that the big-12 is all the travel of the B1G but half the payout. Not worth it. 

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 7/30/2023 at 11:36 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

JJ, I am on board for  ACC/PAC merging in some fashion.

JJ, how much power or say would ESPN have, going forward, if the ACC had 8 teams leave. From what i have read it would take 8 or 9 schools agree to leave.

ESPN has the ACC on the cheap for 13 more years and very little interest in the PAC....

Somebody in the Media has to come up with the money to make this merger happen..........

The ACC and PAC have a real opportunity to be releavant and control their destiny.

However, someone has to pony up the dollars .....I dont see the linear carries making this happen. Unless FOX takes control, thus shutting out ESPN from 3 of the 4 P5 remaining conferences.

That leaves Streamers. The PAC cant bring the streamers to pen and paper, as is. How would the ACPACK be any different?

A simple media deal and minor expansion is too much for the PAC leadership. A merger would probably be even worse.

This conference, athletically needs ALL NEW LEADERSHIP......

The ACC has 15 member schools including Notre Dame which is of course independent in football and ND's hockey team plays in the B1G. (ND did win the NCAA lacrosse title this season.)

8 schools need to depart the ACC for it to dissolve without members having to pay an exit fee. Maybe Time is a flat circle and tomorrow we will be back to the future with a Pac-8 conference. If so, in regard to the Pac and the ACC, this coast-to-coast merger would be viable and move the ACC/Pac into 3rd place in what would be a Power 4 money race.

Pac-8 plus Atlantic 8 could look like this - Clemson, DUKE, GEORGIA TECH, FSU, NC St, MIAMI, UNC, PITT (All caps = AAU member schools.) Pitt and Georgia Tech are the westernmost members of the ACC. Atlanta is west of Detroit. Pitt plants a flag in B1G territory.  To help with harmony and CBB, add Louisville, UVA, VA Tech, and Wake Forest to the East Division. No need to add travel to Boston and Syracuse. To pick up the So Cal market add SDSU and add SMU, Rice, and Tulane to alleviate, somewhat, travel demands. SMU, Rice, with a 47,000-seat football stadium that can be expanded to 55,000, and Tulane, are all academic fits. 

Play CFB and men's and women's CBB coast-to-coast. Focus on intra-division play for the other sports. This would limit travel to the Eastern time zone. Western-most Tulane is in the Central time zone. One time zone away for Utah and 2 for the other Pac-8 members.

But it's easy for me to assemble and link-up college teams on the JJ railroad. I have no idea whatsoever if the above would be acceptable to the Pac and ACC powers that be and do not believe my idea even warrants rumor status. But I most definitely do not see a merger of this nature as being injurious to the long-term future of Oregon sports. 16 to 24 teams bargaining collectively would have market power; especially, with the elimination of a Power 5 conference.

Que sera, sera.