Pennsylvania Duck

More Civil Wars? It Could Take Years to Schedule New Matchups

If Oregon and Oregon State choose to play in football it could take years to schedule new matchups

The University of Oregon hopes to continue to play in-state rival Oregon State in all sports as they've done for over a century of time.  

But is this even possible in football in the very near future? Future schedules say it's going to be difficult for the rivalry to continue without a lapse in games.

If Oregon and Oregon State come to an agreement and choose to play one another in football, both programs will be on the hook to buy out a non-conference game or games for the foreseeable future to ensure they play one another.

If they choose to wait until the first open date, it could be a very long time till the Ducks and Beavers meet in the regular season.

"Obviously, we have a rich tradition with our in-state competitors," said Oregon Athletic Director Rob Mullens during a press conference about the move to the Big 10. "That is something that we will try to work out in every sport to continue those rivalries."

Oregon State Athletic Director told the Oregonian they aren't yet sure if they'll play Oregon.

“To be determined,” he said.

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon and Oregon State rivalry football game could see a huge lapse in games as the two programs head to different...

Could be an all out brawl this year. I wonder how many games between the the beavs, cougs, and the teams leaving are going to be a bit chippy?

We were all ready to go at it with the spoiled children because of their betrayal. That game was starred on the schedule because they were leaving the conference. Now we just hate them.

Some interesting dynamics this season and in the future. As traditions end, even worse blood between programs begins.

Do this years games mean more, as the conference of champions ends?

As if the Beavers did not hate us enough....now they will blame all this on Oregon, as usual.  Perhaps not playing them for a number of years might be a good idea to let the hatred decline a bit?

Typical Beaver fans KC.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Ii seems to me that should both schools wish to keep playing, it will happen. The only comparison I have is Georgia-Georgia Tech, a rivalry that survived through Georgia Tech's withdrawal from the SEC without missing a beat. Georgia Tech might even have been an independent for a while but joined the ACC, I am told, only after being assured that they continue their rivalry with the Dawgs. Some of the younger Dawgs fans would just as soon drop Tech for football, citing a noncompetitive matchup here. But most fans want to keep the tradition going, stating that rivalries are the essence of college football. I hope that there are similar passions for retaining Oregon-OSU.

• Thumbs Up 2

First, can't they just play the games that are already scheduled and fill in their schedules around them? Second, at this point the Beav's should take any opportunity they can to play a top dollar game against a ranked team. Just saying.

• Thumbs Up 2

It depends on how much both schools really want to play each other.  Without buyouts, they could start playing each other by 2029 in football.  Every other sport is much easier to schedule games.

Oregon   OSU
2024 @ Hawaii   Idaho St.
  Idaho   @ Boise St.
  Texas Tech   Purdue
  Boise St.    
2025 Montana St.   Portland St.
  Oklahoma St.   Fresno St.
  @ Boise St.   @ Texas Tech

2026 Boise St.   Sacramento St.
  @ Oklahoma St.   Texas Tech
  Portland St.   @ San Diego St.

2027 Eastern WA   Portland St.
  @ Baylor   New Mexico
  Utah St.   @ Ole Miss

2028 North Dakota St.   @ New Mexico
  Baylor    
  @Utah St.    

2029 @ MSU   San Jose St.
  Utah St.    

2030 MSU   Ole Miss
      @ San Jose St.

2031 Hawaii    

2032 tOSU    

2033 @ tOSU    

The remaining pack? Teams will all have a CHIP on their shoulders so be ready for a fight every game. This might be the toughest year to make the playoffs in the pack yet. Not only is a trip through the top 5 teams a gauntlet so will be the Community College Schools. LOL 

I dread to think of the cheap shots that will be coming from a lot of these players. Especially WSU

Edited by Just Ducky

On 8/8/2023 at 7:55 AM, Tandaian said:

It depends on how much both schools really want to play each other.  Without buyouts, they could start playing each other by 2029 in football.  Every other sport is much easier to schedule games.

Oregon   OSU
2024 @ Hawaii   Idaho St.
  Idaho   @ Boise St.
  Texas Tech   Purdue
  Boise St.    
2025 Montana St.   Portland St.
  Oklahoma St.   Fresno St.
  @ Boise St.   @ Texas Tech

2026 Boise St.   Sacramento St.
  @ Oklahoma St.   Texas Tech
  Portland St.   @ San Diego St.

2027 Eastern WA   Portland St.
  @ Baylor   New Mexico
  Utah St.   @ Ole Miss

2028 North Dakota St.   @ New Mexico
  Baylor    
  @Utah St.    

2029 @ MSU   San Jose St.
  Utah St.    

2030 MSU   Ole Miss
      @ San Jose St.

2031 Hawaii    

2032 tOSU    

2033 @ tOSU    

I'm no lawyer so I don't know how (if at all) changing conferences affects our non-conference agreements.  What I do know is that these games get rescheduled all the time.

If I'm in charge of scheduling, the first thing I do is get rid of that 2-1 series with BSU and pencil in the rodents.  If that requires a buyout, then so be it.  

That gives until 2027 to figure out a more permanent solution.

• Thumbs Up 2

Our OOC schedule I'm guessing is pretty up in the air at this point, the B1G might allow us to get away with our FCS opponents for a couple years, but I'm pretty sure they have a policy that you can't schedule these anymore, and we still don't know exactly how many conference games we're going to have.

I'm sure we will have to pay schools if we decide to cancel future games, we had multiple games against B1G opponents that now are going to be canceled as OOC games.  It will be interesting to see what we do.  I wouldn't be surprised to see us back out of games against Boise St. if that means we get to play OSU instead.  I'm not even sure what sort of strategy we're going to employ since our conference schedule might be more difficult now.

There will potentially be some openings and some reshuffling of schedules. Oregon doesn't have OOC matchups with B1G opponents anymore... And if the Beavers land in or with the MW those matchups open up. 

It will probably take a few years though. 

It'd be nice to have the beavers at the end of the season to at least preserve that tradition. 

It also wouldn't hurt us if we are going to a conference championship game to have the beavers at the end of the year. 

The BigTen rule about FCS allows an FCS opponent only during seasons with 4 conference B1G home games as they thought it might be too difficult to schedule 3 major school opponents for home games to get to 7 at home.

In 2026, if OSU is in the Mt. West then their San Diego St game can be shuffled.  Oregon could buy out Portland St.  Similar maneuver in 2025.

It is likely the game would have to be early just as Iowa State and Iowa play the second game of the season.  Sometimes it's just pettiness.  Iowa and Iowa State did not play each other from 1934 to 1977.

On 8/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, David Marsh said:

There will potentially be some openings and some reshuffling of schedules. Oregon doesn't have OOC matchups with B1G opponents anymore... And if the Beavers land in or with the MW those matchups open up. 

It will probably take a few years though. 

It'd be nice to have the beavers at the end of the season to at least preserve that tradition. 

It also wouldn't hurt us if we are going to a conference championship game to have the beavers at the end of the year. 

I would love for this to happen, but something tells me the B1G is going to want the Oregon/Washington game to take precedent.

That said a mid-season game ala the Red River Rivalry would preserve most of the tradition of the CW, although as a non-conference it just won't be the same.  I'm reminiscing now, but my favorite CW of all time was the year it was all on the line, winner take all for the Rose Bowl.  Watching Masoli truck the rodent safety for a fourth down conversion to allow us to run out the clock is probably my best Autzen memory.

Edited by noDucknewby

I hope this is not a total duplication of the above comments.

Dump the Oklahoma State and Baylor series regardless of whether the Beavers can clear its own OOC slate.

Rob, you are now a B1G Boy. No two-for-one G5 games with playing at Boise State, Utah State, or at any G5 school unless it helps with recruiting such as playing at Hawaii. 

If OR ST can't clear its slate, replace OK ST and Baylor with certain wins even if you have to buy wins.

Last season, Michigan State played Colorado State, Hawaii, and UConn in Ann Arbor and was the #2 seed in the playoff. Come 2024 Oregon's B1G schedule, rightly or wrongly, will have far more cache than playing in the Pac-12. Beat the B1G teams on the schedule, advance to the B1G title game, or finish 3rd in the conference and possibly even 4th in 2024/25 and Oregon will have a very good shot at a spot in the 12-team playoff field so long as it plays but 1 little guy OOC and 2 G5 teams. 

And the 3 OOC games come 2024/25 all should be played in Autzen.

Yes, play Oregon State, likely an MW member when practicable but it takes two to tango. BTW, for the 2nd season in a row, Oregon State is not playing a P5 opponent OOC. And Oregon State's stadium seating capacity is smaller than the smallest B1G (16), Northwestern Ryan Stadium which seats at @43,000.

For me, it will be very interesting to see how the B1G's scheduling model will play out. Without divisions and a 9-game conference schedule, It will be interesting who, if anybody, will be permanent opponents. If there are three permanent opponents, it makes sense, both travel-wise and for some semblance of tradition, that they be Huskies, Bruins, and Trojans. But, that presents problems I'd guess for playing home and homes with each of the other league's teams during a player's 4-year career--Jon you may wish to check my reasoning on this.

It does take two to tango, but 9 games leaves three opportunities to schedule traditional rivals like the Beaves and still have two baby seal clubbings should Oregon choose to do so. And who in the h--l is responsible for scheduling  a 2 for 1 (did Boise really get 2 home games!) with the blue fielders?

On 8/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

For me, it will be very interesting to see how the B1G's scheduling model will play out. Without divisions and a 9-game conference schedule, It will be interesting who, if anybody, will be permanent opponents. If there are three permanent opponents, it makes sense, both travel-wise and for some semblance of tradition, that they be Huskies, Bruins, and Trojans. But, that presents problems I'd guess for playing home and homes with each of the other league's teams during a player's 4-year career--Jon you may wish to check my reasoning on this.

It does take two to tango, but 9 games leaves three opportunities to schedule traditional rivals like the Beaves and still have two baby seal clubbings should Oregon choose to do so. And who in the h--l is responsible for scheduling  a 2 for 1 (did Boise really get 2 home games!) with the blue fielders?

The permanent opponents question is interesting since you could end up with really unbalanced schedules for certain teams, for instance you could have a team like Wisconsin where their permanent opponents are Minnesota, Illinois, and let's say Iowa, meanwhile Michigan St. gets Penn St., Michigan, and Ohio St., not exactly balanced. 

The Boise St. games are 2 home games for Oregon for one game in Boise, it's not ideal, but out here it's not that uncommon to see some of those Mountain West teams get an away game from a P12 team, only teams that I can think of that basically never schedule those games are USC, mostly because they usually have Notre Dame and another power 5 team.  

Oregon State coach Jonathan Smith wants more information before continuing Oregon Ducks series

Oregon State coach Jonathan Smith needs more information before deciding whether it’s a good idea for the Beavers to continue their football rivalry series with Oregon.

The sixth-year OSU coach repeated what athletic director Scott Barnes said last week after the Ducks decided to accept an invitation to join to the Big Ten Conference beginning in 2024.

“It’s to be determined. We’ve got to figure out what this thing looks like moving forward. Once we get to that point, then we’ll make decisions on that,” Smith said after Tuesday’s practice.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The 126-game series is in jeopardy beyond this season as Oregon is headed to the Big Ten and Oregon State has yet to nail down a...

Really Jonathan Smith?  Well maybe we should not waste any time with teams from the "Broke Pac Mountain."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/8/2023 at 6:47 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Really Jonathan Smith?  Well maybe we should not waste any time with teams from the "Broke Pac Mountain."

giphy.gif

Probably thinking about a decent payout from the Ducks to make it possible. 

The Beavers are going to need the money. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

When its all said and done, if the Beavers play Oregon, the Ducks will be the highest ranked team the rodents play in any season.

Most teams cherish a top 15 matchup. Nothing to lose and everyhthing to gain.

However:

If the Beavs go to MWC = Paycut

Beavs stay in P4 And then build to P8 or better= Paycut

Beavs and P4 merge with AAC or the MWC= Paycut

Men and womens sports will be cut. Staffs trimmed, maybe pay cuts. JS has done a brilliant job at OSU. He is a P5 coach with P5 assistants. They have to take care of their families. Money may trump loyalty...

Not to mention what may happen in the portal. GEEZ...

The Beavers have alot more on their plate than scheduling a game against the Ducks.

Their world got set upside down a few days ago. What we had in the past may not be in the future.

Decisions, good and bad, have consequences.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.gif.f99c090b43bd70b604a7ae956abd955a.gif

I can see the Beavus being 10-0 when they play the Fuskys at Reser. Win that game and they're 11-0 heading into the CW game.

Not sure the Ducks are 11-0 at that time in the season. Could very well be that Beavus finish ahead of the Ducks at the end of the season.

Doesn't help their situation as far as conference affiliation goes but it would be a nice consolation prize none the less to finish at the top of the P12. 

It's going to be a wild ride this year in the Pac 12.

• Thumbs Up 1