lownslowav8r

Canzano: 'An Empty Gun': The Downfall of the Pac-12 Conference

Several Pac-12 presidents and athletic directors spoke publicly this week. And a handful of conference insiders shared new details with me from behind the scenes.

Those in the inner sanctum of the conference pointed to a hurricane of broken promises, shaky gamesmanship, blown opportunities and old-fashioned arrogance.

The person in the eye of that storm? 

Commissioner George Kliavkoff.

Kliavkoff assured his bosses for months that a satisfactory media-rights deal was just around the corner. “I just need your patience,” he told him. “A little more time,” Kliavkoff said. The presidents and chancellors believed him, right up until that Tuesday meeting when the commissioner unveiled a $23 million-a-year Apple deal that required his membership to take a leap of faith. 

They’d hoped for a big bang.

“The gun was empty,” one person said. 

Apple later upped the offer to $25 million per school. Production costs were covered, I’m told. The deal had interesting upside. But it reminded the skittish old-guard ADs and campus presidents of the incentive-laden Pac-12 Network dream that was pitched years before by ex-commissioner Larry Scott. 

The Apple deal offered no guarantee of linear exposure. And the schools would be in the business of selling annual streaming subscriptions for $100 a pop.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

A tale of hubris and hollow promises.

Paid subscription article, so above is the key point. Kliavkoff didn’t have a deal and hid this from his bosses, causing a break in trust at the worst possible moment. 

“Never surprise your bosses!” is “how to be a good employee 101.” Unbelievably stupid. 

You know, I'm already tired of trying to determine why the collapse. 

It's over. There's no going back.

Finding someone(s) to blame is truly a needless, pointless endeavor. 

There will be no "stopping this in the future". It's done.

WSU, OSU and the others saw the same 'writing on the wall'. Like everyone else in the world, you gotta take care of home first.

One last Pac12 season is left. And by all accounts, it should be one of the best one in decades!

I can't wait until we are talking about the games!

I mean seriously, the Pac is really loaded this year. Let's play ball!

(Sorry for ranting)

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

GK being in over his head is pretty clear at this point. It also needs to be asked how the heck could the Pac Prez's all let "negotiations" drag on for so long without even inquiring about progress or numbers? Can anybody imagine a similar situation playing out with the SEC or the BIG? I mean, they had just been completely played by smooth talking Larry, USC and UCLA then left, and then they put out a series of unity statements and confident quotes without the slightest knowledge that nothing is actually happening?

This may be the most significant gross incompetence of leadership I have ever witnessed. Who puts the entire fate of their multi billion dollar conference in the hands of an unproven new guy without the slightest oversight? How do you feel confident in progress with nothing more than an "Everything's going fine. Nothing to see here."?

The conference leaders got exactly what they deserved but the teams, athletes and fans got screwed. Seems to me there is some serious explaining that still needs to be done.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, what is done is done. No going back.

However, this will someday be a classic business school case study. So much to learn from it (sadly at our expense). 

Wouldn’t surprise me if some of what we are hearing from the blame GK club is CYA. 

Edited by lownslowav8r

On 8/10/2023 at 6:00 PM, lownslowav8r said:

Yeah, what is done is done. No going back.

Agreed. I'm all in on the BIG at this point. There is a part of me that feels sorry for the WSU and OSU but their leadership also said some of the worst most clueless "Everything's fine. Don't worry." quotes out there. 

Every one of the Pac President's should be held accountable as well. And anyone else that had a part to play. GK will be the lone fall guy but I imagine his wasn't the only incompetence in the room.

Everyone involved in the implosion of a century old institution should be held accountable. But they won't. Only George will fall.

• Thumbs Up 1

One could get the impression that the Pac12 Presidents view athletics (outside of Stanford and Olympic sports) as a part of their job they least enjoy/value.  Sort of like kissing your sister.

Compare the management of athletics over the years in the Pac12/10/8 to the SEC and Big10 where the Athletic Departments are embraced, cultivated and invested in--as nearly autonomous assets--as entities for the greater health of the institution and its alumni and community connections.

What the Conference of Champions achieved DESPITE the lack of comparative administrative support is a credit to the boosters, donors and student athletes of those institutions. 

Chickens came home and roosted.....sadly.

• Applause 1

Was linear tv deal on the table?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1

Although it killed the Pac as we knew it, maybe they did us a favor by being inept. 

• Thumbs Up 4

This  will be my only post on the subject. Truly there is no going back and I will be rooting for  the Ducks to  kick  a-- in the Big whatever. But as  one who was watching and rooting for PAC teams against everyone else since the late 50s, I  see the implosion of thePAC-12 and the loss of many, many traditional rivalries rivalries as a net negative for college football.

I also believe that it will be harder, not easier, for the Ducks to consistently make the playoffs as compared to what would have happened had the Pac-12 survived. I hope that I am wrong about this .Much depends on Lanning's development of a winning culture and my long- time  assessment that B1G football is generally overrated, so  I could well be wrong. But I am concerned nonetheless. At any rate, Go Ducks!

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 5

As the remaining Pac 4 schools move ahead I hope for their sake there will be NO interest in reviving the current Pac12 administration or management. The consistent failure over many years has run it's course. Hospice patients shouldn't plan a class reunion.

• Haha 1

On 8/13/2023 at 1:35 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

This  will be my only post on the subject. Truly there is no going back and I will be rooting for  the Ducks to  kick  a-- in the Big whatever. But as  one who was watching and rooting for PAC teams against everyone else since the late 50s, I  see the implosion of thePAC-12 and the loss of many, many traditional rivalries rivalries as a net negative for college football.

I also believe that it will be harder, not easier, for the Ducks to consistently make the playoffs as compared to what would have happened had the Pac-12 survived. I hope that I am wrong about this .Much depends on Lanning's development of a winning culture and my long- time  assessment that B1G football is generally overrated, so  I could well be wrong. But I am concerned nonetheless. At any rate, Go Ducks!

Great take. I think Greg Sankey will get what he wants and come 2024 we will see 5 conference champions as automatic qualifiers and 7 AL teams. 

Along with its champion, I see the SEC and the B1G having their respective champion plus two other teams, at least, in the 12-team field. 

Come 2026 in the Power 2 world in which we reside, all playoff bets are off. There is no way in my opinion that the ACC will hold together through 2035/36 with its existing media deal. I think the ACC demise is coming sooner rather than later. If Clemson, FSU, UNC, and NC State were not anxious to leave, they would not have blocked the addition of Cal, SMU, and Stanford. 

Which conference (network) wins the race for the state of North Carolina? If AAU membership continues to matter for the B1G presidents and Notre Dame has no scheduling agreement with the ACC, I see the B1G adding Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, UVA and Kansas. With the SEC adding Clemson, FSU, NC State, Louisville, VA Tech and West Virginia.

The SEC could also look west and add Texas Tech and Oklahoma State instead of Va Tech and W VA.

The SEC and B1G today meet in numerous post-season bowl games. Why a playoff in 2026, other than to keep the politicians off the back, when you have a 24-team AFC and a 24-team NFL? Play a post-season challenge with a field of the top 4 B1G and the top 4 SEC teams. 

Of course, I could be way off base but I don't see the contraction and elimination of conferences happening or any team outside of the Power 2 winning a title. And let's not forget about the $, of course. Why would the Power 2 conferences have any desire to split post-season revenues with the B12 and the G5? If anti-trust issues force a 12-team playoff to continue. Give the 4 top-seeded teams a 1st round bye and have a G5 team in the 1st round mix along with the B12 champ. Both the G5 team and the B12 team would of course be seeded in the top 4 if on-field play resulted in such a ranking. But compared to a 24-team SEC and a 24-team B1G with both conferences playing 10 conference games, the Power 2 SOS will dwarf that of any team outside of the Power 2. 

I may well be erring across the board here including a 24-team conference. The B1G/Fox could be happy to add only UNC and Notre Dame. The SEC/ESPN could be happy adding only Clemson, FSU, NC State and say, Georgia Tech. 20 teams each. Fewer teams to share revenue with and fewer teams that ESPN/Fox have to 'pay.'

Keep your seat belts fastened. This wild ride is far from over.

And best of luck to the Dawgs in 2023. WOOF! 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 8:11 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great take. I think Greg Sankey will get what he wants and come 2024 we will see 5 conference champions as automatic qualifiers and 7 AL teams. 

Along with its champion, I see the SEC and the B1G having their respective champion plus two other teams, at least, in the 12-team field. 

Come 2026 in the Power 2 world in which we reside, all playoff bets are off. There is no way in my opinion that the ACC will hold together through 2035/36 with its existing media deal. I think the ACC demise is coming sooner rather than later. If Clemson, FSU, UNC, and NC State were not anxious to leave, they would not have blocked the addition of Cal, SMU, and Stanford. 

Which conference (network) wins the race for the state of North Carolina? If AAU membership continues to matter for the B1G presidents and Notre Dame has no scheduling agreement with the ACC, I see the B1G adding Notre Dame, UNC, Duke, Georgia Tech, UVA and Kansas. With the SEC adding Clemson, FSU, NC State, Louisville, VA Tech and West Virginia.

The SEC could also look west and add Texas Tech and Oklahoma State instead of Va Tech and W VA.

The SEC and B1G today meet in numerous post-season bowl games. Why a playoff in 2026, other than to keep the politicians off the back, when you have a 24-team AFC and a 24-team NFL? Play a post-season challenge with a field of the top 4 B1G and the top 4 SEC teams. 

Of course, I could be way off base but I don't see the contraction and elimination of conferences happening or any team outside of the Power 2 winning a title. And let's not forget about the $, of course. Why would the Power 2 conferences have any desire to split post-season revenues with the B12 and the G5? If anti-trust issues force a 12-team playoff to continue. Give the 4 top-seeded teams a 1st round bye and have a G5 team in the 1st round mix along with the B12 champ. Both the G5 team and the B12 team would of course be seeded in the top 4 if on-field play resulted in such a ranking. But compared to a 24-team SEC and a 24-team B1G with both conferences playing 10 conference games, the Power 2 SOS will dwarf that of any team outside of the Power 2. 

I may well be erring across the board here including a 24-team conference. The B1G/Fox could be happy to add only UNC and Notre Dame. The SEC/ESPN could be happy adding only Clemson, FSU, NC State and say, Georgia Tech. 20 teams each. Fewer teams to share revenue with and fewer teams that ESPN/Fox have to 'pay.'

Keep your seat belts fastened. This wild ride is far from over.

And best of luck to the Dawgs in 2023. WOOF! 

Is a 24 team conference even a conference?

You play each other, what?…..every 3 to 5 years, unless it’s a rivalry game.

The whole thing stinks.

Having said that, I think the Ducks made the right decision, given the circumstances.

Still stinks.

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2023 at 4:07 PM, DUCKED said:

Is a 24 team conference even a conference?

You play each other, what?…..every 3 to 5 years, unless it’s a rivalry game.

The whole thing stinks.

Having said that, I think the Ducks made the right decision, given the circumstances.

Still stinks.

Terrific take. I think we are more likely to see a Power 2 with 20 teams each. Perhaps, with the pods shown below for football and men's and women's basketball, and with 10 team geographically aligned divisions for all other sports.

B1G -

West - OREGON, UCLA, USC, UW

Mid-West - Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

Central - Illinois, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern

Mid-East - Indiana, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Purdue [Michigan vs Ohio State would be a protected game.]

East - Maryland, North Carolina, Penn State, Rutgers

SEC -

West - Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A+M

Mid-West - LSU, Ole Miss, Mississippi St., Missouri

Southeast - Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

South - Florida, Georgia, Georgia Tech, NC State

East - Clemson, FSU, Kentucky, South Carolina

I share your opinion that all of 'this' does stink but follow the money as college football teams have now done since the NCAA's scheduling monopoly was overturned in 1984, and Oregon made the only reasonable business decision to join the B1G as a junior member and become a full-time member in 2031. 

The article below is from a guy I wrongly in many respects have dissed on, and the facts discussed in the article are the reasons I see a Power 2 with not fewer than 20 teams each, coming sooner rather than later. Especially, with Playoff broadcast rights expected to go to $2B+ in 2026.

IMO, Puddles is extremely fortunate to have caught the last plane out.

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

The demise of the Pac-12 could have major ramifications for the College Football Playoff and influence at collegiate sports' top level

Edited by Jon Joseph