NJDuck

Canzano: Could Oliver Luck Help Save the Pac-4?

Remaining four schools have hired Luck to consult.

The 63-year-old has held a variety of positions in his career: NCAA executive, college athletic director, NFL quarterback and commissioner of the XFL, among them. He has four children, three of whom attended Stanford (including Andrew).

Luck declined comment for this piece but I’m told by sources that he’s been hired to serve the Pac-4 schools in an advisory role. The four remaining members are in a dicey spot with limited options, but Luck’s involvement in the dilemma is interesting.

Could Luck help save the Pac-4?

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

• Thumbs Up 2

In another post on a similar topic, I mentioned the Pac 4 needs to bring in someone who actually knows what they're doing and relegate GK to the kids table or fire him on the spot. I hope this is that move. SD St and SMU are still there for the taking. Also bring in Fresno St and UNLV and you're at eight schools with three of them potential top 25 football teams. They would have markets in the bay area, SoCal, Las Vegas and Dallas. Not bad. That should be enough to stabilize for now and maybe even bring in some dissatisfied B12 teams in the next go around.

• Thumbs Up 7

On 8/11/2023 at 1:07 PM, NJDuck said:

The 63-year-old has held a variety of positions in his career: NCAA executive, college athletic director, NFL quarterback and commissioner of the XFL, among them. He has four children, three of whom attended Stanford (including Andrew).

Luck declined comment for this piece but I’m told by sources that he’s been hired to serve the Pac-4 schools in an advisory role. The four remaining members are in a dicey spot with limited options, but Luck’s involvement in the dilemma is interesting.

Could Luck help save the Pac-4?

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Perhaps the Pac-12 should have hired Luck to be its commissioner. Someone with college sports experience would have been nice, right?

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Do not forget the $34M buyout for any MWC team is highly prohibitive. Especially for a Pac4 with no media $.   It is not as easy as it sounds to just bring some on board.   Most likely is a full conf merger or absorption.  Cal & Stanford clearly do not want that even though keeping it open as an option, given ACC does not yet have the votes to add them.    Feels OSU & WSU might be MWC bound and with no negotiating leverage.  Not even sure the $4m a year per team  MWC media deal gets increased with expansion.  But Feels a better option than AAC.

Sounds like the Pac-12, Pac-10 and now the Pac-4 need someone who can sell a bunch of ignorant presidents on what a decent deal is too. 

Instead of going with a few deals which were thrown out to the presidents in the past, the presidents have all made poor decisions, and reacted rashly, recently destroying the conference.

I doubt another 'consultant' is going to change the one variable which isn't really a variable. The presidents who make the decisions will still make bonehead decisions.

They hired the wrong guy, stayed with him for the better part of a decade. They approved a multitude of poor decisions, and didn't listen to the one idea which could have strengthened the conference, adding Texas and Oklahoma.

They then hired George and didn't think the ESPN deal was good enough. They then panicked when the saw the apple deal. 

I doubt these academics are going to do much better with Oliver. 

70.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 8/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

I doubt these academics are going to do much better with Oliver. 

Good news, bad news . . .  can't do any worse

• Haha 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:59 AM, Haywarduck said:

Sounds like the Pac-12, Pac-10 and now the Pac-4 need someone who can sell a bunch of ignorant presidents on what a decent deal is too. 

I think the currant Pac ? leaders need a tough love intervention about arrogance and humility then suggest moving forward with an SD St, SMU, Fresno St, UNLV offer. As to the steep payments required for leaving, I'm sure some sort of negotiation could be worked out. Maybe partial payments with home and home series with each remaining MW team for a few years? A good negotiator could make it happen. Pac humility would be the key.

Of course I will be wrong on this thought but arent academics supposed to ve intelligent?

Do none of these 10 schools have business departments, with graduates who have gone on to build successful companies?

Graduates who could have given great advice......

Like when your valuation is $500 million with 12 schools, then 2 schools with $200 in tv valuation leave and the remaoning 10 schools still want $50million each?

Whoever made that suggestion or sold the 10 on that negotiating stance NEEDS TO CARRY THE BLAME AND BE FIRED!

And that would include the Presidents/Chancellors, GK and league advisors.

I feel sorry for the remaining 4 schools but offer no pity. They helped vote themselves into this situation.......

• Applause 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Perhaps the Pac-12 should have hired Luck to be its commissioner. Someone with college sports experience would have been nice, right?

Exactly!

• Thumbs Up 4

Assets include back payments from NCAA for the last few years of March Madness participation... including whatever future payments March Madness produces this year for the PAC. That´s a big ton of money that schools can't take with them to the new conference.

Does the PAC still own the Rose Bowl??? or did they give it away?

The PAC still owns automatic bids in some good Bowls.

Apple is still said to be interested in the PAC4+/=.   $20M a year is a lot better than $5M a year.

NCAA recognizes any conference with a minimum of 6 teams. They only HAVE TO add 2 right out of the chute. 

Preserve the PAC and the Beaves have a chance. They are top 25 right now. I am rooting for the Beaves and the Ducks in the PAC 12 championship game.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/11/2023 at 3:46 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

Of course I will be wrong on this thought but arent academics supposed to ve intelligent?

Do none of these 10 schools have business departments, with graduates who have gone on to build successful companies?

Graduates who could have given great advice......

Like when your valuation is $500 million with 12 schools, then 2 schools with $200 in tv valuation leave and the remaoning 10 schools still want $50million each?

Whoever made that suggestion or sold the 10 on that negotiating stance NEEDS TO CARRY THE BLAME AND BE FIRED!

And that would include the Presidents/Chancellors, GK and league advisors.

I feel sorry for the remaining 4 schools but offer no pity. They helped vote themselves into this situation.......

Grate poost.

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:52 PM, Jon Sousa said:

NCAA recognizes any conference with a minimum of 6 teams. They only HAVE TO add 2 right out of the chute. 

And if being conference champ continues to be a guarantee into the 12-team playoff, it would be a much easier road for the teams in a PAC with only 6 teams...  And that could be a lure to getting teams to join a new PAC 6, or PAC 8.

Edited by Annie
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:57 PM, Annie said:

And if being conference champ continues to be a guarantee into the 12-team playoff, it would be a much easier road for the teams in a PAC with only 6 teams...  And that could be a lure to getting teams to join a new PAC 6, or PAC 8.

Indeed. I believe the criteria is that the top 6 rated conference champs are in. Also, the NCAA does not run the playoff. The PAC 6 or 8 might not be considered a "POWER" conference anymore. The playoff committee could change their criteria any time they want to.

• Thumbs Up 2

The Rose Bowl was never going to be a B1G Ten vs PAC again as a requirement.  Utah vs Penn State last year was the last between the two conferences.  The Rose Bowl could have had a B1G Ten and PAC team, but 2024 forward it was never going to be required.  The CFP stopped the B1G Ten vs PAC tradition.

On 8/11/2023 at 10:56 AM, AllOregon said:

Do not forget the $34M buyout for any MWC team is highly prohibitive. Especially for a Pac4 with no media $.   It is not as easy as it sounds to just bring some on board.

I think the PAC-4 could pick up SMU and maybe another AAC team (or three) like UTSA or Tulane or Rice for 2024 just to survive.  Then they could add SDSU and whomever from the MWC in 2025 for a smaller exit fee.  Chances are they may still get A5 status and an automatic playoff bid.  As has been mentioned, that could look pretty good for the Beavs and the other PAC schools.

Edited by Cacker Guy