QuackAttack

PAC-12 Presidents To Blame For The Collapse

If the reports that the university presidents were pushing for $50 Mil per year are to be believed, and their historical actions lends to it being true, clearly the collapse sits solely on the university presidents. Surely, the AD's knew $50 Mil

was a pipedream and they had to be telling them that number was a moonshot! I agree with WIlner, we need a 30 for 30 on it. Maybe the university presidents should stick to what they know academics and leave the business of sports

to the professionals in the Athletic Department, after Sport Management is one of the hottest degrees in college now! Why? Because sports is big money, which is something an academic clearly isn't trained to handle. I am sure the

presidents listen to the accountants when they determine the cost per credit hour, they should have listened to the AD's and likely GK that they weren't going to get more than $35-40 Mil.

• Thumbs Up 1

image.thumb.gif.fc6fbf31f31b946bab9a06c02bdd7e1c.gif

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This is only my observation.  Let's face it, so many past missteps from previous commissioners and presidents all the way to present brought the Pac-12 to it's demise.

Log Haulin brought this to our attention in another post, a report from the Athletics.  According to this report, there was another deal GK was trying to piece together involving linear and streaming?  It seems GK's inability to communicate to Colorado, staying silent, gave them any excuse to leave for the Big 12.  That suppose second deal seemed to unravel leaving the only other offer presented by Apple.

I am only reposting this just in case someone else did not see this.

Yes, it has been hard to swallow what's happened to the Pac-12.  But, in my opinion, I see positive potential for our beloved Ducks moving forward.

Oregon did what was needed to preserve its brand, athletes, recruiting and more.  Joining the Big Ten bring's more opportunities, opening doors nationwide for our Ducks will only serve to expand Oregon's brand.  

Oregon is prepared for this moment.  Oregon's NIL (Division Street) is one of the best in the country (Ruiz no longer a viable source for Miami).  Oregon put together a great coaching staff that are tremendous recruiters.  Oregon is in the process of building a new football facility as well as plans to improve Autzen's north side of the stadium.

Big Ten teams travel well.  The north side will need to increase along with facilities on that side with much needed improvements.  If Oregon's one of the higher seed could host one of the playoff games.

Oregon's Division Street NIL collective ranked as one of nation's most ambitious

Groups called NIL Collectives have popped up rather quickly. Oregon’s version is called Division Street. It’s no surprise that with the U of O’s relationship with Nike, the Ducks have handled the new landscape rather well.

This is partly what they said about Division Street:

Some of the brightest and most influential sports marketing minds around have helped determine the structure and direction of this Oregon-centric collective. That has enabled Division Street, in the words of one industry source, to “operate at a high efficiency” and foster long-term sustainability.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks are always near the forefront of change. Their NIL collective Division Street ranks among the most ambitious in the nation.

The Pac-12 due to it's limited broadcasting and a weakened state/demise only served as a detriment to Oregon's existence on the national scene.  Oregon's potential growth for its brand will reach greater heights by joining the Big Ten conference. 

Another example, moving to the Big Ten will only enhance recruiting.  It will make it easier for families across the nation to attend and view Oregon's games.  Other universities will no longer use the demise of the Pac-12 as an excuse to lure recruits from attending Oregon.

Big Ten move played key role in Oregon flip for former USC commit

The Big Ten move has immediately helped the Oregon Ducks.

Earlier this week, Gardena (Calif.) Junipero Serra corner Dakoda Fields flipped his commitment from USC to Oregon. A 4-star defensive back and a top-100 prospect in the industry-generated 247 Composite, Fields was a huge piece of the defensive class Lincoln Riley was putting together at USC.

Instead, he’ll begin his career in the Oregon secondary. The flip, however, didn’t change what conference Fields would begin his career in, and that was apparently important.

Fields told Ducks Digest’s Max Torres that “once they (Oregon) moved to the Big Ten, that was the green light for me.”

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Big Ten is already giving Oregon a boost on the recruiting trail.

Oregon is presenting a complete package to the student athletes as to why Oregon is a destination.  This is a two-way street.  Not only will the Big Ten help bring more prestige and growth to Oregon, but in turn will do the same for the Big Ten.

Go Ducks, Fly High!!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Here's the confirmation:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

“Sometimes you need a reality check,” WSU’s Kirk Schulz says.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2023 at 9:49 AM, idontrollonshobbas said:

Here's the confirmation:

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

“Sometimes you need a reality check,” WSU’s Kirk Schulz says.

I'd say reality has been checked.

The presidents dropped the ball, and I agree they have no idea how to play with a ball. The ball was put in play by the new landscape, field where capitalism rules and traditions have little purpose.

This is where I like the historic structure analogy. I don't think we fully appreciate the Pac-12 and what was built from. Ironically it started as the Big-5, then the Pacific Coast Conference. It went from 8, then 10 and finally to 12 as the Pac-12.

I agree there are some great things about joining the BIG, but bottomline it was a mistake to mismanage this great conference the way it was. Much like any beautiful thing of value, we often are distracted by the shiny new thing until we fully realize what we had. We have to move on, but I won't forget!

As a fan/donor I would like to know the following......

What President/Chancellor came up with the $50 million per school per year line in the sand?

Was it the committee?

Was it GK?

Somebody gave GK his marching orders for the negotiations.

When espn said $30 million which President/Chancellors told GK to hold the line at $50 million?

As a fan I want to know so I can thank him/her/them.....

No longer will OBD's be overlooked, undervalued or subject to east coast bias. They can now prove it on the field, hardwood, diamond or the track.....

Its hurtful and disappointing to have witnessed these buffoons destroy the foundation of a conference that I have followed since the 1950's.....

I wish that the games would start so we can shift off discussing what cannot or will not take place 

What i do enjoy is when a top 200, 4 star athlete says that the move to the BIG gave him the green light to committ to Oregon.

Let's hope more will follow....

Go Ducks.......

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

No longer will OBD's be overlooked, undervalued or subject to east coast bias. They can now prove it on the field, hardwood, diamond or the track.....

Amen Duck-Buddy.  And because we are now in a "Big-Boy" conference--the typical disrespect or diminishing of the Ducks' accomplishments will no longer happen.  Success cannot be ignored...

On 8/13/2023 at 11:56 AM, HappyToBeADuck said:

What i do enjoy is when a top 200, 4 star athlete says that the move to the BIG gave him the green light to commit to Oregon.

I think NJDuck made a fantastic point in another thread...of how TONS more great football players in the Midwest and east will seriously consider Oregon further because now their parents can easily travel to a B1G game versus Eugene, and how our games will be on NBC, CBS, Fox and the B1G channel.  It just removes another mental barrier and makes it easy for the top 200 players to choose Oregon!

I think in the end...Oregon is going to benefit more from the new B1G connection than the B1G will from Oregon joining them.  Yes, our presence will add another B1G team in the top 10, and more glory for their conference, but I believe Oregon is poised to EXPLODE as the last elements that held the Ducks back are being removed.

Charles....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

This topic is so underwhelming.  When USC and UCLA bolted, this conference lost significant future value to TV.  I was tired of hearing year after year the PAC was soft yada yada yada.. even tho I didnt think so one bit. 

I say that to say,   

I dont care who sabotaged a deal.  Its best for all teams that latched on somewhere else.  sucks for the teams that got left out, but this is the best step going forward for the Pac footballs schools that left.  The money will be greater (eventually for the Ducks) Matchups will be better from a National standpoint.  Recruiting will slightly improve.  Oregon will always be a tough place to get kids to come, but not that tough where we wont see an increase on what is already outstanding.

Pac last season will probably be the best since Ive been an Oregon fan (2007)

Edited by Lrod
  • Thumbs Up 1