GatOrlando

Remember the Alliance?

That whole BIG-PAC12-ACC thing. It was meant to keep the SEC from taking over everything. The Big 12 proposed a partnership with the PAC, but the PAC said "nah we good".

Meanwhile it was being pitched that Ohio State, and Michigan were considering the SEC. The PAC is all but dead, the ACC is facing a mutiny. Well like Texas , and Oklahoma kept the Big 12 from expanding, while negotiating to leave. USC was likely behind the PAC not expanding sooner.

Point is don't trust anybody. You gotta look out for your best interests. Oregon is getting roasted for this. It's unfair really.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

No biggie.

The truth is…most of the other teams of the former PAC-12 and their fans did not like the Ducks for a variety of reasons.

Another reason won’t matter.

They may not “like” Oregon, but if we do as well as I believe we will under Dan Lanning..,they will respect us.

I’m good with that.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

If you're looking in specific areas you'll hear a lot of noise blaming the Ducks. John Canzano pretty much fielded 90% Beaver calls the day the Ducks left. The callers that were Duck fans couldn't show much excitement, lest it be distasteful.

It took a lot of restraint from me not to call into Canzano's radio show and say, "I've been sorting by new/recent and F5ing every day for the past year, all to see the news that the Oregon Ducks are going to the Big Ten. This is one of the biggest moments in Oregon Football history, and a positive one!"

Anyway, the national consensus is that Oregon did the right thing. Heck, I don't even blame USC and UCLA for bailing. I respected that move the day it happened. I was not happy to see Dante Moore decommit to go to UCLA & the B1G, though.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a clause in the alliance that each conference made a promise not to poach teams from the other respective conferences?

On 8/13/2023 at 10:35 PM, Charles Fischer said:

No biggie.

The truth is…most of the other teams of the former PAC-12 and their fans did not like the Ducks for a variety of reasons.

Another reason won’t matter.

They may not “like” Oregon, but if we do as well as I believe we will under Dan Lanning..,they will respect us.

I’m good with that.

Went on a Washington State message board. A'lot of messages were putting most of the blame on the Ducks, and Huskies. They claim to never want another Apple Cup. Sad for the folks of that state who love that rivalry.

Their programs would take the money, and bolt too. It's like getting mad at a coworker for getting a promotion. They are tethering their hopes to a lawsuit preventing Washington from leaving. In reality they know what happened, and why it happened. They know who is to blame, yet choose to lash out.

Weird to think if the ACC had added Cal, and Stanford.  It would be a B1G, Big 12, ACC, and PAC invitational this year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1. The vast majority of Oregon fans did NOT want this happen.

2. If the circumstances were reversed…they would have done the same thing in a heartbeat and felt fine about it.

3. They were rejected because they don’t have a brand or large following.  Whose fault is that?

Mr. FishDuck

I didn't want the Pac to disolve but I also didn't want the Ducks to remain in the gutted Pac.  The conference was already viewd as soft before the LA schools left. That always bothered me.

When the LA schools left, I commented here that Ducks would be B1G within a year. It was obvious. I never doubted it through all the realignment talk the past 12 months.

There is plenty of blame to go around but the Ducks aren't it. Those that blame the Ducks are either dishonest (Zano) or lack strength to take an honest look at their own progr'm.

Ducks did look out for themselves, they were right to do so. But more than that, they did what is right for west coast football, the state of Oregon and college football as a whole. The landscape is changing and the Ducks took the responsible action under the circumstances. 

I don't necessarily agree that you can trust no one. Yes, you gotta look out for self for sure. Some times hurting others is a by product of that.

Ducks did not make decisions and act with the thought of hurting others as a motivation. Trojan was, in part, motivated by the desire to bury Oregon. To inflict as much pain on Oregon as possible.

Epic backfire. Shocker. One of the "great" ironies in the annals of world history😁. Trojan will feel the wrath of those they fear for years to come.

Ultimately College football is better for everyone because the Ducks chose to solidify their future in the B1G instead of playing in the B league.

Staying in the Pac because you want to save the conference seems honerable and virtuous. I argue it is selfish and self serving.

Staying in the Pac because its an easier path to a playoff has been argued. Ultimately it leaves Oregon soft and weak with an empty trophy case for, perhaps, ever. Ultimatly slipping into being a distant memory.

Oregon took the honorable path even though there are casualties. College football is better with a strong secure Oregon. Better for fans and bitter rivals alike. And better for every college football fan in between.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, Log Haulin said:

Epic backfire. Shocker. One of the "great" ironies in the anals of world history😁. Trojan will feel the wrath of those they fear for years to come.

I don't know if perhaps you meant to say "annals of world history", but intentional or not, "anals of world history" works remarkably well in this situation. 🙂

• Cool 1
  • Haha 6
  • Great post! 1

If ain't down in writing, it ain't down. Nobody really thought the Alliance had much validity other than a rallying cry against the SEC.

As for Oregon in the B1G, I agree with Log Haulin this just seemed inevitable.  Lament all you want for the good old days of the Pac-12 (and beleive me I do), but college football is going through a paradigm shift and I'm just glad we're seated at the big table going forward. 

On 8/14/2023 at 6:21 AM, Log Haulin said:

Epic backfire. Shocker. One of the "great" ironies in the annals of world history😁. Trojan will feel the wrath of those they fear for years to come.

B1G to USC: "Sure, we'll keep Oregon out."

Final Result?  The biggest one ever...

The Real Trojan Horse | About the Episode | Secrets of the Dead | PBS

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

In this day and age it is all about finding a scapegoat, placing blame. Most people just want to look back and attack.

What is harder to do is to look forward, and really understand all the moving parts effecting the now.

Right now we have some very big upsides to our football program. I can see that the money will be nice. 

There are also some things we should be cautious about. Both LA schools in 2024 have 4 games across the country, one each on the east coast. No team travels that far well.

There is a reason the SEC schools don't travel, often or even ever. The BIGs top programs (Michigan and Ohio State controlled) both play in LA at the end of the season, otherwise stay in the midwest. This favors the power players in the BIG.

We will be getting better money, but will pay a huge price. I am not sure too many are focused on this issue. Seeing Oregon, and the old Pac schools struggle with their 3-4 straight game across the country may get old. 

We may be, again, lamenting the decision the heads of our schools made. All is not sunshine and rainbows, and the future is just going to be more money and greater exposure.

I certainly hope the athletic department is focused on the impact travel will have on our student athletes. The academics still needs to be a priority. Their ability to be resilient after 4 weeks of business travel in a row needs to be considered. Anyone go on across the country business 4 weeks in a row?

Most people choose jobs that don't demand this. They may even take a lesser paying job. I don't see this as a recruiting plus, but maybe I am alone in this view.

A shot from one of my favorite movies I think is appropriate. 

FinishedShabbyHare-size_restricted.gif

On 8/14/2023 at 2:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Whose fault is that?

I think geography and Carmen Sandiego have something to do with it. Who's on the case, Junior Detectives? 

where.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/13/2023 at 11:11 PM, 2002duck said:

I was not happy to see Dante Moore decommit to go to UCLA & the B1G, though.

He still has lots of eligibility left and the Bruins will be in ruins come '24

• Haha 1

On 8/14/2023 at 3:51 PM, Steven A said:

He still has lots of eligibility left and the Bruins will be in ruins come '24

He has had to quell rumors that he is unhappy with the Bruins and his NIL.  Transfer rumors are in the wind.

WWW.MSN.COM

On 8/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, Mudslide said:

He has had to quell rumors that he is unhappy with the Bruins and his NIL.  Transfer rumors are in the wind.

Yeah, I've read that as well. We will have to see how he pans out. We didn't get to see much from Novasad in the Spring Game. 

On 8/14/2023 at 10:14 AM, Haywarduck said:

A shot from one of my favorite movies I think is appropriate

I had to google "Jofa helmet Parkdale Pool jump movie" to see what this movie you were talking about. The first link was an article that said the following: "Depending who’s asked, “Hot Rod” is either the greatest comedy ever or the worst piece of movie trash in the history of Hollywood."

But heh, it has Bill Hader in it, and I loved "Barry" on HBO.

One of my favorite movies growing up was "Stand By Me" which was filmed just outside of Eugene. I just watched a  behind the scenes Youtube video with Rob Reiner the other day, and he, Corey Feldman, and Will Wheaton talked about living in Eugene during filming, and I noticed this image: 

rob-reiner-and-river-phoenix-on-the-set-of-stand-by-me-1986-v0-jkcbd79t2oia1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Alliance? How about this?

image.thumb.gif.7e7eabe02d6b6f084a25aba2c4868582.gif

On 8/14/2023 at 1:14 PM, Haywarduck said:

In this day and age it is all about finding a scapegoat, placing blame. Most people just want to look back and attack.

What is harder to do is to look forward, and really understand all the moving parts effecting the now.

Right now we have some very big upsides to our football program. I can see that the money will be nice. 

There are also some things we should be cautious about. Both LA schools in 2024 have 4 games across the country, one each on the east coast. No team travels that far well.

There is a reason the SEC schools don't travel, often or even ever. The BIGs top programs (Michigan and Ohio State controlled) both play in LA at the end of the season, otherwise stay in the midwest. This favors the power players in the BIG.

We will be getting better money, but will pay a huge price. I am not sure too many are focused on this issue. Seeing Oregon, and the old Pac schools struggle with their 3-4 straight game across the country may get old. 

We may be, again, lamenting the decision the heads of our schools made. All is not sunshine and rainbows, and the future is just going to be more money and greater exposure.

I certainly hope the athletic department is focused on the impact travel will have on our student athletes. The academics still needs to be a priority. Their ability to be resilient after 4 weeks of business travel in a row needs to be considered. Anyone go on across the country business 4 weeks in a row?

Most people choose jobs that don't demand this. They may even take a lesser paying job. I don't see this as a recruiting plus, but maybe I am alone in this view.

A shot from one of my favorite movies I think is appropriate. 

FinishedShabbyHare-size_restricted.gif

Evil Knievell did not make it over the Grand Canyon but Oregon did!

image.gif.05b80baa3063d9c9816c80d3b19d05e9.gif

• Thumbs Up 1