Charles Fischer

Worried About Our Defensive Line?

Here is a nugget to help ease the concerns, as having Popo in the middle with Dorlus on one side and Burch on the other?  Whew!

Full Quote: "it's something I've never seen before. It's definitely special."

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Soak up this year, as we will not have as an experienced defensive line for a few more years.  Not to mention Casey Rogers and Taki!

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hopefully Popo stays healthy this year, we need him!

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Let’s hope! 1

I think our D-line will be one of the most disruptive we have ever seen! 

We will be reminded of purple people eaters, fearsome foursome and Gang Green.

SportsCenter adjectives will include: relentless, overpowering, quick, well trained, and in sync.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have been in the Popo fan club since 21. Dude is quick and strong. More importantly, Popo is mean and nasty.

Popo is going to create chaos in the trenches this year. He will require double teams and Burch, Dorlus, Mateyo, Taki, Keyon, Rogers will shine as a result. 

Man... thats a heck of a list of D trench players. How are O lines going to deal with that kind of insanity up front. 

I have Popo winning the Chuck Bednarik award. I know we talk about Burch and Dorlus. IMO Popo will be the talk of the town by season end.

No later than 2nd round in 24 draft. Possibly the 1st D lineman taken. Huge fan of Popo.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

This years Duck D has talent and experience. These 5th and 6th year players are now men, not wide eyed 18 year olds.

There are some mean dudes amongst them. When they gel together they will dominate.

2024, 2025 and 2026 high school D line players will be watching and dreaming about sacking pkayers lije Williams and Penix.

Seeing the 2023 Duck D sack them will fuel those dreams.

GO DUCK D! Lets start by making it along daycfor Shough in Lubbock.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll be concerned until I see it in a real game, I've seen this story before about how the defense will be super improved only to be disappointed.  Not saying we won't be improved, but Oregon's defense tends to get hyped up only to see us fall a bit short of what everyone was saying.  I still remember the hype around Sewell/Flowe, and that did not turn out nearly as well as everyone was predicting.  

Popo a good player, needs to prove he can stay healthy, other guys need to fulfill their potential (Burch).  No shame in saying that, they have potential, now go out and prove it with results, not hype.

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Great point Charles on the 2024 DL. But I think that Dan will again prove to be a masterful Puddles Portal Plucker.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:29 AM, spartan2785 said:

Popo a good player, needs to prove he can stay healthy, other guys need to fulfill their potential (Burch).  No shame in saying that, they have potential, now go out and prove it with results, not hype.

I think there is certainly the talent available for them all to help each other.

KT ran into problems after his first season because there wasn't another rushers on the team that demanded enough attention other than him.

To truly have excellent it takes a team effort. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dorlus is the real deal. He was voted 2nd team All PAC-12 and our defense was poor. This means, to me, the league saw how good he was on a challenged D-line. 

This also means Taki isn't the real deal. We should count on limited minutes for the guy. I also like Popo, and if he stays healthy he could have a monster year. Popo needs to have the endurance to take most of the minutes at NT, or this will be a weak spot. NT is one spot we need to steal a game wrecker next year.

The rest of the defense seems to be filled up with transfers who will either play out, or we may have a defense with some question marks after games. I think we will turn the corner, just wondering how sharp of a turn we will make, hopefully all the way to full steam ahead!