David Marsh

Why Does Week 0 Have to Suck this Bad???

This is probably good fodder for an article except I don't want to write it as an article... I want to just rant. 

But it's week 0 and we have seven games with Notre Dame v Navy is the highlight of this week. 

Other games include... USC v San Jose State, Hawaii v Vanderbilt, Florida International v Louisiana Tech, UMass v New Mexico, UTEP v Jacksonville State, and San Diego State v Ohio.

I know I personally don't want to watch any of these games. Nothing is that interesting. Notre Dame should destroy Navy and USC should take care of San Jose state while sleep walking. 

Hawaii v Vanderbilt might be interesting... For a quarter... A half at most. 

But this slate of games is so bad that it makes me angry. College football is here except it isn't. 

Week 0 shouldn't be a thing... Or it should actually feature something worth watching.

Now I know many will say that that week one doesn't have that many good games either... Which is true. I know that Oregon v PSU is going to be a big pass to anyone who isn't a Ducks fan... Like how all these week 0 games are. 

Unless you're a USC fan are you going to watch USC v San Jose State? Only if you're desperate enough to watch a boring game that doesn't include your own team. 

One of the things from the 2020 season that actually showed us was that college football didn't need these cupcake games to help determine he best teams. The best teams could play a a full schedule and we'd know who they were. 

FISHDUCK.COM

In any normal year, College Football is filled with early games against FCS schools that typically culminate with...

Now there are other considerations for playing cupcake games... The most important one being that these are the life blood of many FCS and even some G5 programs. And these types of games will become even more important in a world that more stratified between the haves and have nots.

But week 0 is awful... And it annoys me to no end. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I will probably watch a few minutes of the games, just to get that football feeling rolling, but otherwise it's a good day to read and work on a jigsaw puzzle. 🙂

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

This reminds me of Zero Week in Basic Training as well. I was disappointed to have to go through it, it offered little in the way of substance and basic would have been better without it.

However, I’ll still watch the Notre Dame and USC games. Not bc I expect them to be good, but bc it’s football season! That, and bc a coworker is an Irish fan and it’s important that I be able to talk to him intelligently about how his team played…and bc for just this week I’m a SJSU fan who wants to have a huge underdog knock off a self-proclaiming, hubris-filled giant. 

Hey, football’s BACK and I’m here for it!!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

It’s not like Luckeyduck will be watching U.S.C. in the hope of some season ending injury to a particular QB/Receiver/RB.

As we all know, he is far above this type of tawdry behavior !

• Haha 1

Your Honor, I believe that interest in my client, Week 0 Games, ranks well above, uh, zero.  As evidence I enter into the record amazing and interesting upsets from last year's football season.

App St. def. TAMU.

Marshall def. Notre Dame (1/2 of a yea)

So. Illinois def Northwestern

Middle Tennessee def. Miami (full yea!)

At least for me, I'll be watching the U$C game (well ... at least the first quarter) and hoping the Condoms get their butts handed to them by SJS (and Week 1, by Nevada).  America loves underdogs and that's what makes eyeballs turn to these weird matchups.  

And lastly, you Honor, after an interminable offseason of conference deflation discussion, I would suggest that we'd even watch high school football games in order to get back to the game we love.  We all only get a limited amount of football seasons in our lives.  We, the Defense, say, "enjoy them to the max."

Thank you, sir.  Please find my client innocent of all charges.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

David, great take. With the playoff expanding in 2024 to 12 teams, CFB should begin the season for all conferences and teams on Week 0. This would allow the 1st round of the playoffs to begin a week earlier and for the champ game not to drift so far into January and go up against the NFL playoffs. 

The #6 team in the nation is playing on a network few people can and do watch. (Brilliant scheduling move by SC that results in SC having the week off before the conference champ game, thanks Pac-12 HQ,) Meanwhile, the New Mexico State vs. UMass game is on ESPN. As Saturday Out West's Jon Gold noted the other day, this is a shining example of why SC (and UCLA, Oregon, and UW) are going B1G. It's certainly not a huge game but far more football fans could and would have tuned into the Ducks vs. Vikings game if it was on FS1 or BTN, instead of being broadcast on the Pac-12 Network. Playing on the Pac-12 network has a negative recruiting ripple effect. 

Larry's Loser Network has slightly over 13M subscribers and still is not available and never will be available on DirecTV. The B1G Network (BTN) is closing in on 60M subscribers and is available on every major cable channel. On the BTN, far more people would have watched Caleb Williams's first effort in his pursuit of a second Heisman Trophy and also have been able to watch far more extensive and better, pre-game and post-game coverage.

Thank goodness Puddles is flying to a B1Gger nest. 

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 7:53 AM, David Marsh said:

But week 0 is awful... And it annoys me to no end. 

There is a reason they call it "0".

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, Jon Sousa said:

There is a reason they call it "0".

Null and it is void of good games.

Don’t care, I’m watching every play.

Go 🦆🦆🦆s

ps. Unless I have to get a beer.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

San jose is playing ok. Got it tied early in the 2nd

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/26/2023 at 5:51 PM, Log Haulin said:

San jose is playing ok. Got it tied early in the 2nd

First Tulane, then San Jose State? Fight on!

• Haha 1

USC's defense hasn't improved much. Giving up 21 points to San Jose State with most of the 4th quarter to go?

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lol Alex Grinch and USC are just getting shredded already by fans for their defense. Given their inflated expectations the margin of error is very thin.

Looking at highlights, it looks like they're very susceptible to dual threat QBs. Bad news for them when they come to Eugene.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC's defense has struggled against San Jose State.

Edited by kirklandduck
  • Mic drop 1

Three takeaways from USC's 56-28 victory over San Jose State

If the first half of the first game of the season was any indication, it’s going to be a long year on the Trojans’ beat.

But you hoped to see USC impose its will on a team with a fraction of the talent. That didn’t happen.

Tackling was still suspect. Grinch brought a blitz on a third-and-22 that Cordeiro was able to beat and scramble for 28 yards. (San Jose State scored on that drive to tie the game at 7-7.)

A coverage bust led to SJSU receiver Nick Nash being left completely alone in the corner of the endzone for a touchdown that cut the game to a seven-point USC lead eight seconds before the halftime break.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

USC opens up the 2023 season with a big win that had plenty of sizzle, but left some questions unanswered.

• Yikes! 1

Thanks, PA. Here's another similar take from ESPN. There is still no D in USC.

WWW.ESPN.COM

Zachariah Branch had one of the most electric debuts in Trojans history, zooming his way to 232 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns on just nine touches in a 56-28 win over San Jose...

Yeah, but they added some incredible twitchy speed on offense.  The Trojans will pile up boatloads of points, and opponents will have to outscore them.

Like against Tulane?

Tulane storms back from 15-point deficit to stun USC in Cotton Bowl, 46-45  - Underdog Dynasty

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

We learned that Lincoln Riley is still playing Big 12 football. Outscore the opponent and play just enough defense. 

I watched part of the game... It really looked like superior athletes won them the game. They could win one on one match ups often because they just had better players. There was a little showboating after some plays too I saw where USC players seemed far too excited. I don't think Lanning would tolerate some of what I saw on the field, especially with the score as close as it was. 

USC is in trouble when they have conference play and have to deal with better athletes who are also working together. 

Obviously USC gets to practice between games and often the most improvement comes between games 1 and 2. But if game one is an indication of how their team operates... This is a three loss team. 

Because they'll lose to Oregon, Washington and Utah at this point. Who will all have better athletes than San Jose. USC was in a dog fight for two and a half quarters and pulled away with better athletes... What happens when Oregon with a better roster than USC comes knocking? 

It'll be fun to watch that's for sure.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SJSU should have hung 35 on Trojan. They have some dudes but if they cant stop SJSU? SJSU stoped themselves a couple times or this is Tulane 2 0

Trojan front wasnt all that impressive from the 2.5 quarters I watched.They will get better as the season progresses. But they have some defenses to face that are a ton better than SJSU. 

Could be a long year in tinsel town.

On 8/27/2023 at 1:33 PM, David Marsh said:

We learned that Lincoln Riley is still playing Big 12 football. Outscore the opponent and play just enough defense. 

I watched part of the game... It really looked like superior athletes won them the game. They could win one on one match ups often because they just had better players. There was a little showboating after some plays too I saw where USC players seemed far too excited. I don't think Lanning would tolerate some of what I saw on the field, especially with the score as close as it was. 

USC is in trouble when they have conference play and have to deal with better athletes who are also working together. 

Obviously USC gets to practice between games and often the most improvement comes between games 1 and 2. But if game one is an indication of how their team operates... This is a three loss team. 

Because they'll lose to Oregon, Washington and Utah at this point. Who will all have better athletes than San Jose. USC was in a dog fight for two and a half quarters and pulled away with better athletes... What happens when Oregon with a better roster than USC comes knocking? 

It'll be fun to watch that's for sure.

And based on yesterday's 'action,' throw in a loss at South Bend. I guess when you can walk on water you don't need ships?

image.thumb.gif.3fd896bd476ff68912aece85d78c8a48.gif

On 8/27/2023 at 12:58 PM, Jon Joseph said:

And based on yesterday's 'action,' throw in a loss at South Bend. I guess when you can walk on water you don't need ships?

image.thumb.gif.3fd896bd476ff68912aece85d78c8a48.gif

Great point... 

Notre Dame took on a G5 school and just took care of business. I didn't watch the game but the score shows they were focused and did what needed to be done. 

USC knew they were going to win in the end and played with their opponent. And San Jose gave them a scare at the end of the first half ... But probably no where near enough of one for them to truly be scared. 

USC is flying high on their own hype right now. And I can't wait for them to come to reality. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like many in the media are still high on USC. 

BLEACHERREPORT.COM

Led by star transfer Sam Hartman and his four touchdown passes, Notre Dame kicked off Week 0 of the 2023...

they are considered to be a "winner" this week by dominating their opponent. USC winning was never really in question nor was Williams' ability. The offense did exactly what it was expected to do against a lesser opponent. 

It's the defense that looks highly suspect. 

It's fine though..  let themboush USX up the rankings so that when they get stomped by the Ducks we take our rightful place. 

Pac-12 Week 0 Power Rankings: USC holds strong despite shaky defensive performance

Football season has finally returned.

While not everyone in the nation kicked off action over the weekend, we did get a handful of Week 0 games to wet our beaks. In just a handful of days, we will have a full college slate fit with some incredible matchups across the nation.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC holds at No. 1 despite a shaky defensive performance vs. San Jose St. Behind the Trojans, the rest of the Pac-12 jockeys for...

On 8/28/2023 at 12:53 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Pac-12 Week 0 Power Rankings: USC holds strong despite shaky defensive performance

Football season has finally returned.

While not everyone in the nation kicked off action over the weekend, we did get a handful of Week 0 games to wet our beaks. In just a handful of days, we will have a full college slate fit with some incredible matchups across the nation.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

USC holds at No. 1 despite a shaky defensive performance vs. San Jose St. Behind the Trojans, the rest of the Pac-12 jockeys for...

Power rankings? The SC D is in need of new batteries.

image.gif.05fbb09bf9f81b31460970c7dc960cb3.gif