Ktmguy2018

Finebaum Piling On USC's Defense

USC is getting shredded (not just by San Jose State) nationally in the media for their defense.

I love the last line..."USC will try to get the defense back on track this week against Nevada"

Really?!?!  Nevada is an offensive juggernaut to judge your defense on??  You know it's back on track how?  Your 5* athletes are able dominate lesser skilled players?  Yeesh!

Edited by Ktmguy2018
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's one game Paawllll. With a lot of new moving parts.

But overall I love the take. 

Actually the dumpster fire is their OL. Every single position has a lesser talent than last years line which was below average. 

Any other QB would be getting sacked 4-5 times per game. Williams is outstanding. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As I really don't like USC (no personal offense intended, Fred Flintstone), I tend to gravitate toward any media pundit who downplays their potential. But at this point, I file Paul Finebaum's opinions in the "not worth listening to" category. But hey, given how much he talks, he's entitled to his two broken clock accurate calls per day.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

I have to laugh because Oregon fans (myself included) LOVE to dump on USC.  Well, it's not like they aren't perfect targets for it, being all the Prima Donnas they are.  But don't expect Riley's team to not get a lot better as the season goes on.  They have the talent, the resources and the coaching.  Now, if only Riley can get that 'cats train' of players all moving in the right direction at once.  If he does, then watch out.  If he can't then he was the wrong choice for the gig after all.

Apparently, ala C.Williams, USuC only plays hard in games they want to "be at". (See last year's bowl fiasco)

So starting against lowly SJSU must not have been enough of an adrenaline shot to play hard.

It's hard to think Nevada will move the needle.

I personally think usc players believe their own press clippings and don't have the lunch bucket mentality to bring it every game.

First game results are hardly definitive, look at us last year!

USuC will be a force this year, but I think OSU will be better. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Countryprof......No issue. I'am on a Ducks site because I love the Ducks. Used to live in Portland for just about 2 decades. 

I also follow USC because one son graduated and was lucky to attend during the peak of the Carroll years. 

I'am a graduate of Illinois and they are just starting to cook. 

Since I'am on a Ducks site if anybody wants to crap on USC......I'd be silly to be offended. It is the U of spoiled children.....and can I tell you this description is accurate. 

Above all......I'am a football fan and realistic with all my teams.....so.....those that think USC will get to the playoffs and have a chance at the NC......when pigs fly. They just do not have the talent or coaching. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Man do I LOVE to dunk on the Trojans! And while that was my first thought while watching the game, Josh Pate had an interesting take on the defense (or lack thereof).  I believe they had like 18-22 defensive players record stats for that game.  That's cycling in A LOT of players...and getting them useful experience in a game that was never really in question.

While I seriously doubt we give up 28 points to PSU, San Jose would probably beat PSU up in the same manner USC beat them up. Point being, using a game that's really not in question to get reps for a lot of different players is a good idea, not a bad one. The USC defense is where the question marks lie, so they used that game to get some experience for guys that may not get much playing time the rest of the season (but may have to be called on due to injury/ejection etc). 

It's my hope that maybe we don't hang 70 on PSU b/c Bo is pulled at halftime and they let Thompson/Novasad get some desperately needed reps that may pay dividends later on. Then the spotlight might be on us for winning a game 32-10 where the perception is we should have won by a MUCH larger margin. The optics may not be good, but getting quality reps to those that need them may be worth it in the long run...

• Thumbs Up 1

They lost their big game last year to the Green Wave, can't wait until they see this years Green Wave. They won't know what hit them!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Riley's track record says he seldom has a really good defense even when he has the players. His teams score a ton of points, if their opponent only scores 3/4 of a ton of points they win and they're happy!

They're O line is also questionable as flintstone said, but Williams can make an awful offensive line irrelevant, he's most effect when you flush him out of the pocket and he's running for his life. The trick is to keep him there while getting enough pressure to bother him.

Bottom line for me is if you can keep their offense from going totally crazy and your offense is at least competent you have a chance to win. 

Warning, Riley has won a lot of games with a not so good defense.