Log Haulin

Thoughts on Texas Tech

On 9/4/2023 at 9:05 AM, Joe fricken said:

I hope it isn't true but I think the Ducks will see a much better 4th quarter TT team and we'd better be ready for that. 

They will.  The +7,000' altitude may have been a factor, (especially late in the game) and the fact that it was the first game of the season.  I expect them to give the Ducks a battle and thank gosh for that (if they do).  Oregon has only the Rainbow Warriors left on the schedule to get ready before Colorado comes to town and the Pac-12's last season begins.

Going to be a shoot out imo, and the team with the ability to pressure on the qb wins.

Hard for me to be optimistic but I'll try. Fist of all I'm still very excited to see a great Oregon team come to town. The stadium atmosphere should be fantastic. The TTU team we saw in the first quarter of the Wyoming game is the team we thought we were getting but the other three quarters exposed a lot of problems. 

Last year Texas Tech was night and day better at home vs on the road and that trend could very well continue.

The Wyoming game felt to me like we got off to a 17-0 lead and at that point the players got lazy and stopped executing. Perhaps the problem was looking ahead to Oregon or perhaps it was that we felt entitled to win the game but either way Wyoming deserves a lot of credit for their grit.

I think Tech will correct some of their failings and we will see a more prepared team that is able to compete.

• Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2023 at 10:26 AM, RedRaider said:

I think Tech will correct some of their failings and we will see a more prepared team that is able to compete.

I suspect you're right.  Oregon won't waltz into Lubbock and prance thru the Red Raiders like they did PSU.  And frankly, O needs to be challenged and tested. I'll bet Dan Lanning feels exactly the same way about this too.  The game should be a good one.  Good luck.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not sure Texas Tech's pre-season ranking was all that accurate. But I also didn't see the Ducks perform up to their ranking against a pretty overwhelmed team like PS. This coming contest will be a game.

However from what I saw last night, we are nowhere near as ready as the Seminoles. They look like they're headed into the upper rankings, possibly to the playoffs if they can keep performing the way they handled LSU. Lots of talent. Their QB, Travis, is one gifted player, comfortable throwing any ball. I understand he's played in a ton of games, and he sure looked it: head and shoulders better than any other QB I saw this early in the season. FSU is back and ready.

The Ducks will need to perform at higher level just to get through the PAC 12 this year. Lots of tough tests ahead.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:42 AM, tee duke said:

Not sure Texas Tech's pre-season ranking was all that accurate. But I also didn't see the Ducks perform up to their ranking against a pretty overwhelmed team like PS. 

With all due respect I cannot understand how the Ducks could have done anything more to perform up to their #15 ranking.  If you're referring to allowing one TD in 60 minutes of football while likewise scoring 11 yourself then I remain confused.  PSU isn't without some good players and they always come motivated to play.  

I'd point out the fact that Oregon had 0 offensive penalties the entire 1st half and only two penalties total for the entire game while scoring on every offensive possession but one in a 13 possession game.  What more could a team do than outscore their opponent by 74 points while playing 25 Freshmen and virtually all the 2's and 3's for most of the entire 2nd Half?  I'm flabbergasted by your observation.

Would you mind explaining yourself?

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 9:05 AM, Joe fricken said:

I hope it isn't true but I think the Ducks will see a much better 4th quarter TT team and we'd better be ready for that. 

Defensively TT may still be gassed against the Ducks because they'll have to deal with that offensive line and run game. That is power on power on speed. 

And Lanning seems to have a typical flow through a game. 

1. Get a feel for the opponent and get comfortable with solid drives. 

2. Go fast and score boat loads of points. 

3. Lean on the run and drive the whole thing home while burning clock. 

FISHDUCK.COM

Football is a sport of bizarre statistics that mostly seem irrelevant, but if you dive into them, they tell a greater...

TT will need to survive that middle game to stand a chance at the end. But even if they do... Are they going to have enough energy in the tank to hang with a power run down the stretch? 

Especially if Oregon rotates in backup linemen and those back up runners who would be starting at almost any other program in the country? 

On 9/4/2023 at 10:58 AM, David Marsh said:

TT will need to survive that middle game to stand a chance at the end. But even if they do... Are they going to have enough energy in the tank to hang with a power run down the stretch? 

Any idea David how "high" Lubbock Tx. is?  I mean, Eugene is barley 500' if that.  lol

I...think... altitude will have little to do with it but instead the usual away-game jitters and jet-lag, plus the usual home field advantage.  I hope it's a good game; for one or two quarters.  Then a strong finish for the Ducks in the 2nd Half.  And I hope to see more from the "Will Stein Book on Oregon Offense", ca. 2023-24'.

Edited by Mic

On 9/4/2023 at 1:51 PM, Mic said:

With all due respect I cannot understand how the Ducks could have done anything more to perform up to their #15 ranking.  If you're referring to allowing one TD in 60 minutes of football while likewise scoring 11 yourself then I remain confused.  PSU isn't without some good players and they always come motivated to play.  

I'd point out the fact that Oregon had 0 offensive penalties the entire 1st half and only two penalties total for the entire game while scoring on every offensive possession but one in a 13 possession game.  What more could a team do than outscore their opponent by 74 points while playing 25 Freshmen and virtually all the 2's and 3's for most of the entire 2nd Half?  I'm flabbergasted by your observation.

Would you mind explaining yourself?

Putting up 81 points on a cupcake just doesn't pack the wallop of getting into a real dogfight and winning. I certainly don't yet have a fix on just how capable the Ducks are. Maybe you do.

On 9/4/2023 at 2:05 PM, Mic said:

Any idea David how "high" Lubbock Tx. is?  I mean, Eugene is barley 500' if that.  lol

I...think... altitude will have little to do with it but instead the usual away-game jitters and jet-lag, plus the usual home field advantage.  I hope it's a good game; for one or two quarters.  Then a strong finish for the Ducks in the 2nd Half.  And I hope to see more from the "Will Stein Book on Oregon Offense", ca. 2023-24'.

Lubbock, Texas, 3200 feet.

Against WYO the TT usually reliable FG kicker went 1-3. 

On 9/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, Mic said:

That's where the backups come in... Oregon looks pretty deep in terms of their back ups and getting them on the field with little drop off will allow Oregon to weardown TT. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, tee duke said:

Putting up 81 points on a cupcake just doesn't pack the wallop of getting into a real dogfight and winning. I certainly don't yet have a fix on just how capable the Ducks are. Maybe you do.

No, neither do I; nor (really) do any of us.  I'm hoping TT will offer a serious challenge and we can learn a lot more.  But I can't think of anything more the Ducks could have done Saturday than they did against PSU with the possible exception of not allowing that 1st Qtr. TD they got.  It was just about as complete a game as any team can play.  Would an Alabama have scored more points?  I kinda doubt it because the Ducks only failed to score on one possession.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 11:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Against WYO the TT usually reliable FG kicker went 1-3. 

Well, those 6 points they left on the table would have made the difference, I guess.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Jacob Rodriguez, who had two tackles against Wyoming before leaving the game with a foot...

TT is out one of their experienced starting ILBs. His replacement is a redshirt frosh that is a converted safety and has limited playing time outside of special teams. Sounds like an early and often Bucky opportunity! 

• Thumbs Up 1

TT lost to Wyoming -enough said. If Lanning and crew lose this game heads will role.

• Applause 1

On 9/4/2023 at 2:08 PM, EastBayDuckDad said:
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Jacob Rodriguez, who had two tackles against Wyoming before leaving the game with a foot...

TT is out one of their experienced starting ILBs. His replacement is a redshirt frosh that is a converted safety and has limited playing time outside of special teams. Sounds like an early and often Bucky opportunity! 

Ouch, thats going to be rough when contending with Bucky, Noah and JJ. The Ducks rushing attack is no joke. Ducks are deep and can throw fresh legs in deep into the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:40 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I tuned into this game when TT was already up 17-3. Announcers were talking about how TT was absolutely dominant up to that point but I didn't see it.

You tuned in right before Shough regressed to his old ways.  Also their D started taking some cheap hits on the Wyoming QB.  They're a little light on discipline.  DeRuyter?