Jon Joseph

The Pac-12 Is Not Going Gently Away

'Do not go gentle into that good night ...' - Dylan Thomas

Dylan, on its way out of the Power 5 building, the 2023 Pac-12 is paying attention. With Oregon State being the only Pac-12 team left with a Week 1 game to be played, the Pac-12 is 13-0 (2 Route 66 cover the Over wins from USC.) Has the conference ever been in this position after Week 1? 

OK, JJ, as Charles cautions, Calm Down. It's Week 1. But to date, the Conference of Champions is not going down without at least a somewhat ironic fight.

Let's review the Week 1 bidding. 

Thursday - Utah - 24 vs. Florida -11 - In the first play from scrimmage in 2023, Utah was on the Money. Money Parks caught a 70-yard TD pass from back-up QB Bryson Barnes and the Utes D made the Gators O look like it was taking a Nap(ier.) 5 sacks. And this was without its best DL player in the game. Next week at Baylor. The Bears were upset in Week 1 not by Texas but by Texas State!

Friday - Stanford - 37 at Hawaii - 24. The Cardinal O no longer looks like a rickShaw, but more like a vehicle designed for the 21st century. 4600 mile round trip? Might as well get used to the travails of travel in the ACC. Next week's game at USC might at least be interesting.

Saturday - Game of the Week CU - 45 at #17 TCU - 42. A Big Noon upset win that shocked the football world including 99% of 'The Experts.' A chance to win the Big Noon game again next Saturday when Nebraska (0-1) visits Boulder. Minnesota walked off with a last-play FG win over the Huskers in Minneapolis. 13th one-score game in a row that Nebraska has lost. That's Frosty. 

CU defeats Nebraska and TCBs against Colorado State and two undefeated teams could be playing in Autzen in Week 4. 

Cal - 58 at North Texas - 21. In a game that was expected to be close, The Cardinal beat down the Mean Green. Under OC Jack Spavital, another Bay Area school appears to have found a 21st-century offense. This Saturday, SEC big boy Auburn visits Berkeley. I think this Cal team can not only cover the 6.5 but has a good chance of winning. What's the Over/Under on more Cal fans showing up than Auburn fans? 

ASU - 24 at Southern Utah - 21. This was the only close game played to date by a Pac-12 team. Dilly is bowl-less in 2023 but not winless. ASU best up its game before the Cowboys of Oklahoma State ride into town.

Arizona - 38 vs. Northern Arizona - 3. The Wildcats chopped the Lumberjacks down behind the solid play of QB Jayson de Laura. Next week, Arizona travels to Starkvegas to play Mississippi State, a 48-7 winner on Saturday over some kind of Louisiana directional school. This game could be a shoot-out in front of cowbell-ringing fanatics. Bring your earmuffs. 

Washington - 56 vs. Boise State - 19. Michael Penix began his Heisman campaign by throwing 4 TDs in one quarter over an overmatched group of Broncos. A decisive win by UW in the Chris Petersen Bowl. Next week, UW pays a visit to Sparty and E. Lansing, Michigan in a game you'll need a Peacock to watch. Michigan State looked good Saturday in the scalping of the Central Michigan Chippewas.

This is a future B1G matchup. One of the top OOC games of the year, and it is being played on a network with 20M subscribers. Oh well, UW has been there/done this. Right, Larry? 

Washington State - 50 at Colorado State -24. In what was expected to be a close game (versus future MW conference member?) Wazzu easily prevailed with QB Cam Ward looking very comfortable in new OC Ben Arbuckle's system. Ward threw for 451 yards and 3 TDs. Has any conference ever had this kind of depth at QB? I doubt it. Next week, WSU plays No. Colorado on the Palouse and should be 2-0 when the other member of the Pac-2, the Beavers, come to town in Week 3.

Southern Cal - 66 vs. Nevada - 14. Not only did the SC offense play lights out for the second game in a row the SC D actually looked like it could play some ball. If this is the case, watch out! The 9/11 game in Autzen could be EPIC. SC and Caleb Williams finally get to play on a real network when Stanford comes to town. 10:30 Eastern time on Fox. Get used to this broadcast window playing on Fox in the B1G.

UCLA  - 27 vs. Coastal Carolina - 13. CC is a decent team but it is a Sunbelt team and the Bruins had to struggle for 60 minutes to win this game. Last night DTR and RB Zach Charbonnet were sorely missed. Next up on the Bruins OOC cupcake diet, is a visit to Snap Dragon Stadium to play San Diego State. Yesterday, SDS struggled to defeat lowly Idaho State, 36 to 28. But this is a game where the Bruins, -13.5, could be upset by a very motivated group of Aztecs.

OREGON - 81 (!) vs. Portland State - 7. If the ancient Vikings had played like this monasteries never would have been sacked!

3 TD passes from Bo are nice but Oregon's 4th string is better than PSU's 1st string. Still, a good way to get the kinks out and a nice check for the in-state Vikings. Next Saturday will find Puddles in Buddy Holly country, wondering why the migration south into 100+ degree heat. This coming off an 81 push-ups game will be tough on our fine feathered friend.

Last night in Laramie, Texas Tech did not look like the team that received a whole lot of 2023 preseason love. I was hoping TT would cruise by the Cowboys. Instead, Oregon is going to face a wounded, fired-up team in front of desperate and howling fans. Oregon has moved up from a -3 favorite to a -6.5 favorite. Getting a cover here would be big for the Ducks. But in the heat, it is going to take guts.

Updated ESPN FPI Rankings - 9/3/2023

6. USC/ 12. OREGON/ 15. Utah/ 16. Washington. The Ducks moved up the FPI ladder. Oregon State wins at San Jose State and Oregon State will, of course, remain in the AP Top 25 along with these 4, and if the game results actually matter, CU should also be in the AP Top 25 Week 2 Poll which would give the going away Pac-12 6 ranked teams, one half of the conference. My friends, could the Left Coast become SEC territory?

The Pac-12 is not going out with a whimper.

• Great post! 2
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

The media hype and love of Colorado will probably see them ranked this week. 

Next week Colorado has Nebraska... It will be interesting to watch that game. Is Nebraska good? Probably not ... They are always good about finding creative ways to lose a game though. 

So we'll see. 

But we could have half the conference ranked this week! 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:29 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Oregon is going to face a wounded, fired-up team in front of desperate and howling fans.

Memories of App State v Michigan, liked how Michigan's next game turned out.

• Yikes! 1

It seems to me to be one of those ironic facts that just as the Pac-12 gets itself loaded with talent from top to bottom (add Colorado to the mix of Oregon, OSU, USC, Wash and Utah with a resurgent Cal and ASU with a HC with the offense-minded brain of Dillingham) and Wam!  No more Pac-12.

In my humble opinion, the Pac was on the verge of challenging the SEC and Big 10 both for dominance in the CFB.  Also, in my humble opinion, the Big-10 needed us a lot more than we needed them.  But, it's all moot now.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Out of left field I'm going to say if Oregon State can hold on to HC Smith, they will get a playoff berth no matter what  G5 conference status they have.  

They are better than any G5 teams, including the fireworks of Tulsa, Memphis and UTSA.  I say WSU and Oregon State start pushing this narrative because both of their sets of personnel are perfect for the G5.

They would both have to sell this to the players of course, but in reality only a select few players could really make an impact at the P5 level from either team. 

Playoff status means money.  Add in the NFL ALWAYS finds talent, no matter the level means a playoff berth (or conferences championship berth) provides plenty of exposure to NFL scouts.

It's starting to hit home that TV scheduling killed a valuable regional conference and people are starting to lament this realignment mess.  It is really regrettable the PAC12 exec committee dropped the ball like they did. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mike West said:

It is really regrettable the PAC12 exec committee dropped the ball like they did.

Was it a 'dropped ball' or something else?  With my suspicious mind, I'll always wonder if it wasn't something more conspiratorial.  

On 9/3/2023 at 2:33 PM, Mike West said:

Out of left field I'm going to say if Oregon State can hold on to HC Smith, they will get a playoff berth no matter what  G5 conference status they have.

Smith is to good of a coach to coach a G5 school. The payout in the Mountain west isn't enough. Even if JS wanted to stay, Beavs wont be able to afford him.

On 9/3/2023 at 3:09 PM, Log Haulin said:

Smith is to good of a coach to coach a G5 school. The payout in the Mountain west isn't enough. Even if JS wanted to stay, Beavs wont be able to afford him.

Oh, I think Johnathan Smith is pretty happy where he is right now.  The Beavers just expanded and upgraded Reser stadium (due almost entirely to the recent resurgence of the football program) and if the Beavers can survive this crazy realignment and come out intact in a good situation somewhere, I think the Beavers have their coach for the foreseeable future.  Of course, what do I know?  It's just a hunch.  😐

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Mic said:

It seems to me to be one of those ironic facts that just as the Pac-12 gets itself loaded with talent from top to bottom (add Colorado to the mix of Oregon, OSU, USC, Wash and Utah with a resurgent Cal and ASU with a HC with the offense-minded brain of Dillingham) and Wam!  No more Pac-12.

In my humble opinion, the Pac was on the verge of challenging the SEC and Big 10 both for dominance in the CFB.  Also, in my humble opinion, the Big-10 needed us a lot more than we needed them.  But, it's all moot now.

And it's mind boggling that the Pac-12 could not match the linear broadcast TV dollars and exposure of the Big XII, after they rejected the original offer from ESPN.  Something doesn't smell right...

14-0! Oregon State 42 - San Jose State - 17.

Could not ask for a better start. Hopefully, it finishes with the Ducks in the final Final 4 but it is going to be a very tough road. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

If boneheaded pac 12 admin had hired the coaches that exist now three years earlier......the pac 12 might now be called the pac 18......with a TV contract meeting or exceeding the BIG contract. It would have changed quite a lot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a nice start for a lost league.

I hope we have 6 teams ranked.

I hope we have more wins in OOC games than ever!

I hope those responsible for the Pac's demise see these results and rue their part in it.

Meanwhile,  go Pac12. 

Go Ducks!!

On 9/3/2023 at 7:06 PM, DanLduck said:

I hope those responsible for the Pac's demise see these results and rue their part in it.

eeyore-no-hope-of-things-getting-better.gif.861d2d9b2b5afe911defa99c3be5b771.gif

Was this the mindset of the Pac-12? 

Seems like sweet justice if all 12 teams win all/almost all their OOC games. Especially for the little brothers of the league. 

Those responsible will have to bare the shame for their part in destroying one of the oldest conferences, and it's traditions, in all of college football. And rightly so. 

It's a pity. But nothing to do but move forward. 

• Salute 1

On 9/3/2023 at 1:43 PM, Mic said:

Sad thing is that neither side needed each other. As long as Ohio State and Michigan stay in the B1G, they are good. Sadly the PAC kind of put all their chips on USC, once they left, everything started to crumble. It still could have been saved though. The PAC could have survived with Oregon and Washington as the bell cows. But some fools let the Big 12 take the deal.

The SEC didn't need Texas or Oklahoma. The ACC didn't need Miami back in the 2000's. The PAC didn't need Utah or Colorado. The B1G didn't need Nebraska, Rutgers, or Maryland.

It would be great if we could reset things back to 2005.

Eventual sixteen team playoff with the SEC, B1G, PAC, ACC, Big 12, and Big East still intact. You could keep the regional history, travel. You could also still have added a couple G5 schools to the P6. Oh well, if only that time machine worked.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Week 1 Overreactions: Making sense of the Pac-12's undefeated start to 2023

We all knew that in the last year of the Pac-12 Conference as we knew it, there was an expectation that the league would be as strong as we’ve ever seen at the top.

With USC, Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oregon State all being ranked inside the top 25 going into the year, there was no question that conference out west could hold their own in 2023. I don’t think anyone expected the conference to go undefeated in Week 1 of the season, though.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Travis Hunter is a serious Heisman candidate? USC’s defense isn’t a problem? Washington is CFP-worthy? The Pac-12 delivered...

My Bad Thrice -

1. Count much? The Pac-12 after Week 1 is 13-0, not 14-0. There is a reason that I attended law school and not business school.

2. Ooops. Before playing Sparty in Week 3, UW has a tussle with Tulsa this Saturday.

3. Lot you know DeNunzio! I muffed it on which team was preseason overrated - Week 1 says that it is the Bayou Bengals and not the Seminoles. 

• Applause 1

1st time since 1980 that the Pac-12 is undefeated after week 1.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12 exploded out of the gate in Week 1, becoming the only conference to go undefeated behind maybe the best day of passing in league history.

• Applause 1

1st time since 1980 that the Pac-12 is undefeated after week 1.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

The Pac-12 exploded out of the gate in Week 1, becoming the only conference to go undefeated behind maybe the best day of passing in league history.

Now Wait A Minute! 7 ranked teams? I don't see it but it would be sweet.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/how-college-football-playoff-rankings-would-look-after-week-1

The Conference of QBs with 1st time starters as well as the vets, coming through.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

More than a half-dozen quarterbacks made their Pac-12 debut or saw their first major action in Week 1. Some fared better than others, one better than all.