Charles Fischer

Weird: I've Lost All Interest in Oregon State

I've been a good sport reading John Canzano, as I would read his takes on Oregon, the conference, and would hold my nose and read his columns on Oregon State.  But now his OSU articles come to my inbox, and I am just "meh" about them.

Part of it is their petty, immature blaming of Oregon for their mess, but part of it also is....they are a future Mountain West team.  I have as much interest in that as I do in Utah State, San Jose State, etc.

I am just not interested

in what those in orange are into...

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Mr FishDuck- I respectfully urge you not to read his latest column anointing DJU as the greatest QB in the history of P12 football for his epic performance today .  Oh and by the way JC confirmed DJ slept well last night. 😉

• Haha 3
  • Applause 1

On 9/3/2023 at 9:51 PM, Augduck said:

Mr FishDuck- I respectfully urge you not to read his latest column anointing DJU as the greatest QB in the history of P12 football for his epic performance today .  Oh and by the way JC confirmed DJ slept well last night. 😉

That is the one I skipped.  Thanks for the heads-up.  As for the Beavers....

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm finding my typical back-the-Pac feelings are not quite here this year... it's so weird to think that next year all these teams are going to be somewhere else. It feels a lot like the end of high school in the regard, we've been stuck together for years and next year we are all going elsewhere. It's been nice knowing ya... but onto the next thing.

I will also say this... I haven't had much interest in the B1G either. I've seen some scores but I haven't had a strong desire to watch any of the games. I was at the Duck game with Charles this last Saturday and I watched a few of the games that were on the big screens around Autzen but once I got home I didn't have a strong enough desire to watch other games. I am more interested in the outcomes at this stage in the season.

I'll probably feel differently in a week. I'm kinda feeling lost without a conference at the moment.

• Thumbs Up 4

David, I share your sense of Meh-ness about B1G football, particularly on offense. My hope is that the West Coast schools spice up that league and help to overcome the yet lingering "3-yards and a cloud of dust" mentality that still lingers a bit over many B1G programs. 

As for OSU and DJU, the team and the QB looked pretty damn good this afternoon. DJU accounted, for five touchdowns, three by air and two by land. I know the opponent was SJSU, but he threw the ball very well and I fear he would be big trouble if he had better receivers than he does.  My prediction is that OSU pulls at least one major upset in the PAC-12 this year. Take them lightly at your own peril.

I love the first couple weeks of the season. Lots of interesting outcomes for fans to get excited about until the season gets going in earnest, .and we begin to separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 9/3/2023 at 10:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

David, I share your sense of Meh-ness about B1G football, particularly on offense. My hope is that the West Coast schools spice up that league and help to overcome the yet lingering "3-yards and a cloud of dust" mentality that still lingers a bit over many B1G programs. 

Ohio State should have a high flying offense as that has been their thing for the past decade-ish. 

But I'm not an Ohio State fan. 

I'm and Oregon fan first and a pac-13 fan second... But this is the last year of the PAC and it should otherwise be a special year but the fact that it's the last year seems to diminish all those relationships. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/3/2023 at 10:28 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

My prediction is that OSU pulls at least one major upset in the PAC-12 this year.

Not to nit-pick here, but I think most of the betting lines will have them as only slight underdogs in any game they are not favored, so here may be upsets, but not major.

The are a good solid team now with a good solid QB.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have plenty of family and friends that are Oregon State fans. I'm finding that I'm cheering more for them this year than I ever have, except, of course, for one game. They looked great yesterday and are a well balanced contender. The "hatred" for me seems to be diminished, making room for new teams to enter.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:03 AM, David Marsh said:

I'm finding my typical back-the-Pac feelings are not quite here this year... it's so weird to think that next year all these teams are going to be somewhere else. It feels a lot like the end of high school in the regard, we've been stuck together for years and next year we are all going elsewhere. It's been nice knowing ya... but onto the next thing.

I will also say this... I haven't had much interest in the B1G either. I've seen some scores but I haven't had a strong desire to watch any of the games. I was at the Duck game with Charles this last Saturday and I watched a few of the games that were on the big screens around Autzen but once I got home I didn't have a strong enough desire to watch other games. I am more interested in the outcomes at this stage in the season.

I'll probably feel differently in a week. I'm kinda feeling lost without a conference at the moment.

The only game kind of worth watching was the Penn State White Out of West Virginia. The Illinois game vs. Toledo was interesting but Holy Toledo Illini, it's Toledo, no?

It was morbidly interesting to watch the Ohio State O struggle. Marvin Harrison, Jr. with 2 receptions? 

Minnesota won on a walk-off FG but the game versus Nebraska was like watching 2 guys fishing. 

Northwestern at Rutgers? Res Ipsa Loquitor. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2023 at 11:04 AM, LB48 said:

I have plenty of family and friends that are Oregon State fans. I'm finding that I'm cheering more for them this year than I ever have, except, of course, for one game. They looked great yesterday and are a well balanced contender. The "hatred" for me seems to be diminished, making room for new teams to enter.

Transitive property FWIW, but the OSU D on the road looked better against SJS than the SC D at home.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I might be an anomaly - my interest in the Beavers has grown sharply since their resurgence.  Beating them now means even more than it did when they were struggling to stay above .500.  And I'm an Oregonian to the core.  I hope the Beavers beat everyone they play - except the Ducks.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/4/2023 at 9:36 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Transitive property FWIW, but the OSU D on the road looked better against SJS than the SC D at home.

On another FWIW, I liked seeing Butters have success, albeit it mop up time. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/4/2023 at 7:54 AM, Steven A said:

Not to nit-pick here, but I think most of the betting lines will have them as only slight underdogs in any game they are not favored, so here may be upsets, but not major.

Good point. I stand corrected. I still stand, however, on the premise that DJU will make the beaves' offense more fun to watch and harder to defend.

I hope the Beavers keep playing the Ducks. It's getting old from their end blaming Oregon for destroying the rivalry. Sad as it is, the reason Oregon State is playing the altruistic card of loyalty, is due to them not having any other options. It's not fair, but life has never been fair. Some people just make more money, have nicer homes, drive nicer cars. Nobody would turn down a much better job with more perks.

As far as conference interest, it takes time. For me it's taken many years to accept Missouri and Texas A&M as SEC members. Now I dislike them as much as any other SEC foe.

• Haha 1

Canzano and the Beavers are perfect for one another.  Like "No" Goe, he has historically dumped on the Ducks with too much glee for my taste. Let him and the Beavers toil in obscurity from now hence.  Rodents alike.

On 9/4/2023 at 10:25 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

DJU will make the beaves' offense more fun to watch and harder to defend.

Absolutely.  Hopefully in all but 2 games . . . at Autzen and then again a week later in LV.

I always want the Beavers to beat their opponents...especially USuC and UW.....all except for the Ducks.  It makes our rivalry so much better when they're good.  I hope it doesn't go by the wayside.

• Thumbs Up 2

Cold, Charles, cold. 😆 Aren't you a Corvallis native and ex-beav? 

Next thing you know you'll be driving I-5 on your way to Portland, and flipping the bird westerly out the driver's window as you pass through the Albany-Corvallis "metro" area.

Be sure to record that on your phone when you do! 

Edited by Darren Perkins
  • Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1