Mic

College Students & Spelling

Home-made signs are a Jerk.  No spell check, no Siri.

Watching Kansas and Illinois play tonight in Lawrence, Ks.  What looked like a female student was seen on camera holding up a sign:

"Back in Black and Ready to Attack  Ilinoi".   Unless this is a old (new?) way to spell Illinois ..  😉  or... she meant 'Eli and I' (Siri).

Edited by Mic

Well in my last few years of professor-ing (how's that for a new verb?) I begin to see whole new paradigms for writing the English language. I wish I had written down the couple hundred examples I encountered. Some were truly hilarious without intending to be. Sign of the times I guess, or that I've become an intolerant old codger.

• Haha 1
  • Applause 1
  • Like 1

I've never been good at spelling personally. 

But I'll say spell check and more importantly auto correct has made at least my high school students really really awful at spelling. 

I'd like to chime in with something else here.  It just grates on my nerves to hear the ubiquitous use of incorrect pronouns.  Are they not teaching English any longer in American schools?  Here is the worst type of offender ... "Me and Johnny are going to the game."  Taking an icepick to my ears would be more pleasant.

😵‍💫

• Thumbs Up 1

Tanx four da pose. 

• Haha 1

the spelling and thinking go hand in hand

College students and spilling? wut do they spill? Oh---never mind.

On 9/8/2023 at 11:04 PM, Mudslide said:

I'd like to chime in with something else here.  It just grates on my nerves to hear the ubiquitous use of incorrect pronouns.  Are they not teaching English any longer in American schools?  Here is the worst type of offender ... "Me and Johnny are going to the game."  Taking an icepick to my ears would be more pleasant.

😵‍💫

Double-negatives are also an offender.  We're hearing them now in America as part of everyday speech. "He ain't never going nowhere". Sign of the times.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mic said:

Double-negatives are also an offender.  We're hearing them now in America as part of everyday speech. "He ain't never going nowhere". Sign of the times.

Isn't that technically a triple neg?

On 9/9/2023 at 9:40 AM, Log Haulin said:

Isn't that technically a triple neg?

Hmmm... maybe....

Another pet peeve is the dropping of the letter 'd' in words like 'didn't'.  It's very common to hear national media personnel pronounce such words like "din-int".  

On 9/9/2023 at 2:04 AM, Mudslide said:

"Me and Johnny are going to the game."  Taking an icepick to my ears would be more pleasant.

Totally agree, Mudslide. I worked in a 4th grade classroom and we worked on pronouns with many lessons. It used to make my hair stand up whenever I heard or read, "Me and Mary are friends." I think families must talk this way at home because it is hard to break young kids of this habit. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

"Me and Mary are friends." 

How about "Me and Mary dinint go to the mall no more".  We're getting younger by the moment.

On 9/8/2023 at 5:26 PM, Mic said:

Back in Black and Ready to Attack  Ilinoi".   Unless this is a old (new?) way to spell Illinois ..  😉  or... she meant 'Eli and I' (Siri).

‘Illinoi’ is both Illadvised and Illannoying.

• Haha 2
  • Applause 1

How about misuse of definite articles a vs.an. So many people, even those in media, don't know the rules and have pretty much stopped using "an". Drives me right up the wall. Incidentally, my young great grandniece uses a and an appropriately. She hasn't yet become corrupted by the ignorant.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 12:55 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Incidentally, my young great grandniece uses a and an appropriately. She hasn't yet become corrupted by the ignorant.

Give her time.  It's contagious.

• Wow 1
  • Haha 1

On the internet, my pet peeve: "Could of, would of, should of." Were the posters never taught the contractions to properly combine two words?

On 9/9/2023 at 1:07 PM, Annie said:

On the internet, my pet peeve: "Could of, would of, should of." Were the posters never taught the contractions to properly combine two words?

Isn't it should have? Ya got 've not 'fricken. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:07 PM, Annie said:

You know, it's been explained to me (and I don't know if this is true) that today's younger generation are learning their communication "skills" (and I use that word 'skills' lightly) largely thru the texting they do on their phones.  I wasn't the best in language skills as a student in my earlier days but I read lots of good books and cell phones were a couple generations away from invention. Language skills are, I think, largely developed by the quality of communications we engage in.  Texting is a language shorthand dumbing our younger gens down, (language-wise) perhaps.  Random thoughts...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 1:50 PM, Log Haulin said:

Isn't it should have? Ya got 've not 'fricken. 

Haha, filter won't let me use single letter between E-G. Hilarious 

On 9/9/2023 at 1:55 PM, Log Haulin said:

Haha, filter won't let me use single letter between E-G. Hilarious 

It changed my earlier word of 'b _ _ c _h' to 'jerk'.  But that's ok.  I think the point was made.  We have to keep things nice and clean.

Yup.  We have software that removes words that can be used improperly, and replaces them automatically with others.  I understand that sometimes the words are not meant in a bad context, but the software does not know that and I do not have the time to pamper everyone.

Be nice, and be clean with language and we don't have issues.

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/9/2023 at 1:51 PM, Mic said:

You know, it's been explained to me (and I don't know if this is true) that today's younger generation are learning their communication "skills" (and I use that word 'skills' lightly) largely thru the texting they do on their phones.  I wasn't the best in language skills as a student in my earlier days but I read lots of good books and cell phones were a couple generations away from invention. Language skills are, I think, largely developed by the quality of communications we engage in.  Texting is a language shorthand dumbing our younger gens down, (language-wise) perhaps.  Random thoughts...

Still, you'd think if they would have been taught or at least read proper English enough to be familiar with "could've."  But from what I've seen on various sites, it's not just young folk twisting the English language. Ah, well.

On 9/9/2023 at 3:58 PM, Annie said:

Still, you'd think if they would have been taught or at least read proper English enough to be familiar with "could've."  But from what I've seen on various sites, it's not just young folk twisting the English language. Ah, well.

In too many of today's schools? Especially the public schools? No, I do not think they are learning the "3 R's" like they should.  They're being taught (if that's the right word) cultural and social issues, regardless of how that's supposed serve them in future years.  Now, we have to get off the soap box.  It's game Day!  GO OREGON!