FishDuck Article

Oregon Beats Up on Bad Teams Again

What is there to say about Oregon vs Hawaii, realistically? Oregon ran over Hawaii on Saturday night to the tune of 560 total yards and 55 points. The Ducks only allowed about three yards per play defensively. They played mostly mistake free outside of  garbage time, with several of their larger penalties occurring on a late defensive possession resulting in ...

FISHDUCK.COM

What is there to say about Oregon vs Hawaii, realistically? Oregon ran over Hawaii on Saturday night to the tune of 560 total yards and 55 points.
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Ryan it is refreshing to see the Ducks, once again, dominate and thrash the opponents. Especially those who do not have the same level of talent and depth as are OBD''s have 

We have 3 upcoming conference opponents on our schedule that fit in that category. ASU, CAL and Stanford have better talent than PSU and Hawaii but lack depth. 

The Ducks must take them seriously, stop the penalties, focus and dominate them. You are only as good as your last play, last series, last quarter, last game!

Win each play, series, quarter and game and continue to dominate the teams you should. Especially on the road and in  the darn Arizona desert.

Run up the score and leave your mark on these teams.

The remaining 6 teams on the schedule are ranked and all those opponents will take the Ducks A+ effort in all 3 phases of the game to be victorius......DANG!

Colorado, WSU and Oregon State have top level first team talent, however they lack top level back ups ay certain positions. All 3 teams can beat the Ducks but at home, OBD's will need their best coaching and player efforts to win. 

These 3 teams will fight till there is no time left on the clock or plays left in OT. However, when the Ducks win the middle eight of the game these should be 2 score victories.

A Top 10 team, with depth should win their home games against top 11 to 25 teams.

Utah has talent and is proving it can win with back up players. This game, at Rice Eccles Stadium, IMHO is a toss up and will be a difficult road victory.

USC and UW games speak for themselves. Top 10 teams with 1st round QB's running the show. One at home and one on the road. Both should be nationally televised!

Both games are winnable but the Duck D and special teams need to come up with big plays. One stop, one turnover, one great return or flipping the field with a great punt could be the margin of victory.

It will take continued improvement by the coaches and players to win these games down the road.

This is a schedule that sets the Ducks up for a CFP Invite. Its a difficult task, so we will see if OBD's are up to it.

GO DUCKS......

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

If we take it 1 game at a time I think we will be great. We have very good depth.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really hate to say this but seeing this game made me really hate that Oregon had to play it.  These games do little, imo, to elevate the ducks and prepare them for the onslaught of conference play.  Tez played well, as I had thought he might.  Bo looked good too.

The best thing I can say is Oregon emerged with no serious injuries t(hat I know of) and some of the 2nds got more playing time.  Still not overly impressed with Ty Thompson, but also nothing to criticize him about (as if I my criticism would mean anything, anyway).  Still committing too many penalties but a win is a good thing and happy to see the Ducks at 3-0 again.

GO DUCKS1

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/17/2023 at 8:53 AM, Mic said:

I really hate to say this but seeing this game made me really hate that Oregon had to play it.  These games do little, imo, to elevate the ducks and prepare them for the onslaught of conference play.  Tez played well, as I had thought he might.  Bo looked good too.

The best thing I can say is Oregon emerged with no serious injuries t(hat I know of) and some of the 2nds got more playing time.  Still not overly impressed with Ty Thompson, but also nothing to criticize him about (as if I my criticism would mean anything, anyway).  Still committing too many penalties but a win is a good thing and happy to see the Ducks at 3-0 again.

GO DUCKS1

How many cupcake games do the SEC teams as well as the B1G play? 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 9/17/2023 at 9:21 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

How many cupcake games do the SEC teams as well as the B1G play? 

Oh, they almost all do it, and teams like Ala do it near the end of the season as "resting" games for key starters.  That's not the point I wanted to make.  It's that beating up on Hawaii the week before conference play in what is this year maybe the best season of the Pa-12 ever, does little to help Oregon get ready for all the really tough games upcoming.  

I don't fault them for scheduling them (in fact, Hawaii had a 3-game win streak against the Ducks) but just as PSU did little to prepare them for TT, Hawaii did little to prepare them for Colorado and beyond.  Just my opinion which isn't worth 2 cents.

Colorado, in the meantime, has had three really good games prior to facing Oregon.  This is to their advantage, not Oregon's.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, Mic said:

Oh, they almost all do it, and teams like Ala do it near the end of the season as "resting" games for key starters.  That's not the point I wanted to make.  It's that beating up on Hawaii the week before conference play in what is this year maybe the best season of the Pa-12 ever, does little to help Oregon get ready for all the really tough games upcoming.  

I don't fault them for scheduling them (in fact, Hawaii had a 3-game win streak against the Ducks) but just as PSU did little to prepare them for TT, Hawaii did little to prepare them for Colorado and beyond.  Just my opinion which isn't worth 2 cents.

Colorado, in the meantime, has had three really good games prior to facing Oregon.  This is to their advantage, not Oregon's.

Colorado has no depth. Oregon will run over them by the middle of the 3rd.

• Let’s hope! 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 9/17/2023 at 9:32 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

If they can keep their cool and don't commit a bunch of stupid penalties I think you may be right. But there is a lot of real talent on that team and for them to have gotten this far unbeaten is not to be discounted.  Oregon should curb-stomp them.  But will they?  I hope yes!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ill say this---If Deon stays Colorado will be the team to beat in the Big 12. It will take 2 or 3 years to build solid depth. But... next year his QB son will head off to the NFL. neener neener. So he will have that to deal with.

This game was all about recruiting. Oregon plays Hawaii out of respect, and desire for the Hawaiian, Polynesian players we have had, have now and will have in the future.

I can tell you as a frequent visitor to Hawaii, Oregon is very popular with locals in Hawaii. This was a very shrewd game to schedule.

Next year when we play in Honolulu there just might be the next Marcus Mariota sitting in the stands saying 'I am going to that school when I grow up.' The players will enjoy the trip too.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mic, just curious....

Who would you want Oregon to play that you feel would better prepare them for conference play?

With the portal and NIL teams need some cupcakes on the schedule so the 2nd and 3rd level players get playing time. The NCAA needs to allow players to play in 5 or 6 games and still redshirt. Its a different world now....

Or players will transfer out......

As for Colorado. What have they proved, so far?

TCU is a shell of last years roster and will struggle to finish 4th in the little big 12.

Nebraska is a bottom feeder to mid level team in the BIG. They specialize in losing close games to the bottom and mid level teams in their conference...

Those were good wins for the Buffs. However, alot of bounces, ref calls and unforced opponent errors went CU's way.

CSU, a MWC team came to the Buffs home turf and gave the game away. The Buffs had ZERO answer for the RAMS offense and its plays. Does this forum feel that the Rams offense is equal to the Ducks?

Make no mistake the Ducks should run the Buffs out of Autzen. They must play clean, smart and bring the A+ game 

The Buffs will have to prove they are more than just hype, to me.

Go Ducks...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

WSU destroyed CSU on the road. CU barely escapes CSU at home. Which do you think will be ranked higher this week? The CU hype train has just six more days until it derails.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:32 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

When you have a passing game like CU's, even without Hunter, you have a puncher's chance.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll take the Aloha game, Hello Hawaii, and Goodbye, any day over struggling to put away teams like, was Mario stoned for Stony Brook? 

Hawaii provided the perfect get-well opponent before the start of conference play.

Heavyweight on heavyweight only will not happen before the Premier League comes about. 

BTW, depending on how the 2024 schedule breaks and looking at the B1G to date, Oregon will likely have an easier row to hoe in the B1G in 2024 compared to the Pac-12 gauntlet in 2023.

But don't sell 3-0 Rutgers short!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 12:53 PM, Haywarduck said:

This game was all about recruiting. Oregon plays Hawaii out of respect, and desire for the Hawaiian, Polynesian players we have had, have now and will have in the future.

I can tell you as a frequent visitor to Hawaii, Oregon is very popular with locals in Hawaii. This was a very shrewd game to schedule.

Next year when we play in Honolulu there just might be the next Marcus Mariota sitting in the stands saying 'I am going to that school when I grow up.' The players will enjoy the trip too.

Going to Hawaii makes recruiting sense. Going to Boise, Idaho, and Logan, Utah?

Want to go to Texas? Fine. But play Rice or UTEP or Texas State and not a B12 team you will help with its media rankings and recruiting.

On 9/17/2023 at 9:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

I can vouch-safe for this. My sister-in-law and husband, and their entire clan now live on Maui and have for the last 25 years.  Over in the islands Oregon is about the most popular team in the CFB and they do follow their local boys after they leave the islands for teams stateside.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 10:09 AM, Jon Joseph said:

When you have a passing game like CU's, even without Hunter, you have a puncher's chance.

Well JJ we have Bo Nix. just sayin

• Thumbs Up 1

I am certain the the Buffs were looking right past the Rams and sneeking a peak at Oregon.... and USC.

You cannot overlook any P5 or G5 opponent. CSU came to play.

Sanders is all about flash, big time and the national spot light. No criticism meant because he backs it up.

But Sanders and his players are playing to win the PAC title. They know that dream will come to an end starting in Eugene. Then ending the following week at home against the pre crowned champs, USC.

Unless they leave it on the field the next 2 weeks. Big time Prime, i expect will bring it.

The next to weeks, i expect the Ducks and Trojans will handle the Buffs. Not without a fight 

Darn its going to be a nerve wracking season.

GO Ducks....

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 9:40 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

I’ll say this---If Deon stays Colorado will be the team to beat in the Big 12. It will take 2 or 3 years to build solid depth. But... next year his QB son will head off to the NFL. neener neener. So he will have that to deal with.

I think Neon Deon gets out of Colorado at his first opportunity to go the the BIG or SEC.

• Applause 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:28 PM, Mic said:

I can vouch-safe for this. My sister-in-law and husband, and their entire clan now live on Maui and have for the last 25 years.  Over in the islands Oregon is about the most popular team in the CFB and they do follow their local boys after they leave the islands for teams stateside.

Gosh (so not edited) bless them Mic. Tragic.

On 9/17/2023 at 1:39 PM, HappyToBeADuck said:

I am certain the the Buffs were looking right past the Rams and sneeking a peak at Oregon.... and USC.

You cannot overlook any P5 or G5 opponent. CSU came to play.

Sanders is all about flash, big time and the national spot light. No criticism meant because he backs it up.

But Sanders and his players are playing to win the PAC title. They know that dream will come to an end starting in Eugene. Then ending the following week at home against the pre crowned champs, USC.

Unless they leave it on the field the next 2 weeks. Big time Prime, i expect will bring it.

The next to weeks, i expect the Ducks and Trojans will handle the Buffs. Not without a fight 

Darn its going to be a nerve wracking season.

GO Ducks....

Good take. On the other hand when coaching, Deion is an old-school coach. Including CU football finishing with the highest GPA in CU history last semester.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:06 PM, PittDuck said:

I think Neon Deon gets out of Colorado at his first opportunity to go the the BIG or SEC.

If anyone in CFB wants to stay in college coaching and they have the opportunity, they are off to the Power 2.

Great reminder Ryan and thanks...to appreciate what we have in coaching.  No letting a Stony Brook or a poor Cal team hang around and have a shot at victory; take care of business early, and build the roster by giving playing time to the young-guns.

So many things I like about this team, and boy...I love how the defensive backs answered the challenge and held the Hawaii QB to only 79 yards passing in the first half--while the game was still in play.  I loved the crisp tackling, and very little YAC when catches are made.

And I am becoming a very big Bryce Boettcher fan...

Oregon Ducks vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors - oregonlive.com

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Great reminder Ryan and thanks...to appreciate what we have in coaching.  No letting a Stony Brook or a poor Cal team hang around and have a shot at victory; take care of business early, and build the roster by giving playing time to the young-guns.

So many things I like about this team, and boy...I love how the defensive backs answered the challenge and held the Hawaii QB to only 79 yards passing in the first half--while the game was still in play.  I loved the crisp tackling, and very little YAC when catches are made.

And I am becoming a very big Bryce Boettcher fan...

Oregon Ducks vs. Hawaii Rainbow Warriors - oregonlive.com

Bryce Boettcher's effort and aggressiveness reminds me of John Boyett.  Tough as nails and loves to put down the hurt on the other team!  I thoroughly enjoy watching him on the field.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 1:19 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Gosh (so not edited) bless them Mic. Tragic.

Tragic indeed, what happened to the little town of Lahina and the residents there.  Did you know Mick Fleetwood, the drummer for Fleetwood Mac, had a nifty little night club there and sometimes hosted all kinds of all old rockers as they dropped in to say hello?  It went in the fire too.  Wailuku is where our relatives live, almost completely opposite from Lahina.  They hail from Dallas, Oregon initially and were here in Oregon visiting their cabin in Crescent when the fire occurred. 

I turned down th opportunity to visit Fleetwood's cub when we visited Lahina about three years ago.  I'm going to forever regret that.

• Applause 1

I went to Fleetwood's restaurant in December 2022.   Best food I had in Hawaii.  Lahaina was a cozy little town. 

When they rebuild, I hope they plan it better.  It was poorly designed for car traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

During that 30 plus win streak over non-conference opponents at Autzen, have been wins over:

Purdue

Utah - before Pac12

Tennessee

Michigan St

Virginia

Nebraska

BYU

and those are just during the streak, there were Power 5 wins too regardless of losses to Indiana and Boise State. 

3 letters for ya----S E C thats the way you do it. Football is B R U T A L.

On 9/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Hawaii provided the perfect get-well opponent before the start of conference play.

And next year we (I'll be there) get a week zero game in HI and is a bonus game 1 of 13.

Plus, the Island recruiting buzz . . . win, win, win !

• Applause 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:57 PM, Tandaian said:

When they rebuild, I hope they plan it better.  It was poorly designed for car traffic.

That was Lahina.  We spent the better part of a day there and I found a nice little cigar shop to restock my little supply while visiting the island.  But any rebuild will, I regret, lack the charm of 'old Hawaii' which is quickly disappearing.