Log Haulin

Oregon Run Blocking a Concern?

My concerns about this 23' team is in regards to the O line. It was the main question most had coming into the season outside of the Defense.

What is missing from last year is the wide open holes and cutback lanes. They are almost nonexistent where last year they were common.

None of us expected this unit to perform at the level of last years O line. But this years unit is really struggling on run blocking.

If you watch them, quite often they seem lost on who to block. Many times v. Hawaii the guy pulling would not find a target to block. Would be behind the play and the back would get tackled short. 2-3 yard gains at times when it might have been 8-12.

Bucky is really struggling to get down hill. Struggling to find a seam and squirt out the back side. Part of this is on Irving. Watch him and you will probably agree. 

Pass blocking they are performing at a pretty high level. Definitely room for improvements but for the most part Nix has plenty of time or plenty of room to move outside the pocket.

This is a new unit. They will perform better as time goes on. Hawaii gave them some problems in the run game despite 200+ yards on the ground. But playing Hawaii is part of the "gel" process. 

A'lique Terry is pretty young. His inexperience could have something to do with it. Hope he gets it figured out soon because the O line in the run game looks lost on what their assignment is. 

Oregon will need to be better next week. Probably be able to get away with it v. Buffs and Furd  When Husky week arives, they better have it compleatly fixed or it's going to be a long day in Seattle. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

At times it was good, at times it wasn't.  It doesn't seem to be consistently either which, in itself, is a concern, yes.  But, they're 3-0 and next week will give us another look at how things are developing.  If they can play penalty-free I think they will have some success against the Buffalos and make Deion's day a long one instead.  Need to get Bucky un-tracked, that's for sure.

Edited by Mic
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

It feels like the guard spots are struggling with run blocking. Pass blocking has been solid. 

But it's those inside runs that we just don't seem to be getting the correct gaps right now. This is something that can be fixed but it needs to happen soon. 

I feel the coaches are being cautious with Irving right now and not giving him too many touches to save him for the later season...but I also feel like they never really give him enough snaps as it is. 

Whittington and James played fairly well last night... but I don't feel either are as transformative play makers as Irving. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I was thinking the same thing.

The interior offensive line is not blowing their opponents off the ball, creating the large holes we, Oregon fans and RBs, are accustomed to seeing. That’s troubling since they should have been able to dominate Hawaii’s front 7 (most of the successful runs were to the outside). I’m not sure what the reason is (e.g., center/OG talent, technique, scheme) but it’s something that they need to figure out before UW, USC, OSU, Utah, et al. Oregon’s coaches need to have confidence that they can pick up a critical 3rd or 4th and short with the inside run game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Talk about timing!

I am working on an article with my thoughts about this very topic that will be published early tomorrow morning. My thoughts may not align with everyone's, but the great discussion now and Monday should be interesting to all.

I promise you that I will offer a premise you did not see coming...

Thats gotta suck_Screenshot from Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Salute 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Hawaii and TT seemed to load the box a bit. That seemed to confuse the interior. Some of the outside runs looked like should have gone inside tackle. The stunt just missed assignments. 

I haven't watched game replay but one play in particular stands out. Late second Q. Play was just inside tackle and got plugged. Back had to bounce outside for positive yardage. 

O line has some talent. Gotta get assignments right and should break off some big runs in the middle.

I don’t have huge concerns about the run blocking of this team. I know they were a little inconsistent against Texas Tech, but I didn’t see anything in the Hawaii game that gave me pause. 

On the night Irving averaged 4.9 yards per carry, James averaged 8.7 and Whittington was 16. 

I know it’s only three games but they’re averaging both more rushing yards per game and rushing yards per attempt than last season. But I know the scope of a whole season is different than three games.

I think they’re becoming more consistent, and conference play should tell a bit more, but I don’t have any concern right now. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Does Bucky need more touches?

Will he get more now the season is starting?

I've always heard announcers say that great RB's get better as the game goes on. Maybe our platoon method is keeping Bucky from finding that rhythm. 

I guess we will find out over the next couple of weeks. 

My Feelings are this-- 3,5 yards per carry and a 1st down. All our backs are capable of this with our current line.

They brought in Mike Cavanaugh who is an old school O line guy.  Hopefully he is helping Terry.  

Edited by Augduck
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/17/2023 at 5:21 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

My Feelings are this-- 3,5 yards per carry and a 1st down. All our backs are capable of this with our current line.

3.5ypc? That's garbage with the backs we have. That would be a failure mark for our OL.

As I keep saying, Terry is a Cristobal disciple. Klemm had to get OL to unlearn some techniques, whichever ones those were, for whatever reasons.

Pass blocking is great and light box run blocks are great. When things get overloaded in the box is when they have trouble. It even worse when the play moves horizontal.

The guards do seem to be a bit of a weak spot right now too.

I'm not going to complain. It could be way worse.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Open to additional analysis, but agree with some of the observations of others.  It feels like a step back this year on the offensive line which isn't unreasonable given the significant turnover and growing chemistry.

The eyeball test sees too many opposing jerseys in the backfield, Bo being pressed more often, and no significant push moving the line of scrimmage 2-3 yards downfield.  Maybe the offense is still trying to find it's RPO rhythm which cautions the push downfield and explains the ineligible man downfield penalties.

Our third downs seem longer resulting in too many punts against our only real test so far (again penalties do play a large role).  Last year, our offense feasted on 10-14 play drives because we easily converted every 3rd and occasional 4th and short.

Concerns may be overblown, but there is little margin for error (stalled drives) against the likes of USC, Washington, WSU, and UCLA (if we meet in Vegas).

Texas Tech elected to stop the run first.  They stacked the box.  Hawaii copied, but to less results.

difference between last year and this year is that Bo no longer is that much of a threat to keep it on a RPO.  Im not going to worry about it that much right now.  

On 9/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

I don’t have huge concerns about the run blocking of this team. I know they were a little inconsistent against Texas Tech,...

If you don't (have huge concerns) I won't - your football savvy is much better than mine!

I agree, the blocking has been inconsistent, good against PSU & Ha but not so much against TT.  Can't wait to see how they do against the Buffs.  A few breakaways by Bucky and/or Noah and Bo will be feasting with Tez & Troy or Ferguson & Casey.  But O needs both games clicking to break this one open.  

On 9/18/2023 at 11:38 AM, Lrod said:

Texas Tech elected to stop the run first.  They stacked the box.  Hawaii copied, but to less results.

difference between last year and this year is that Bo no longer is that much of a threat to keep it on a RPO.  Im not going to worry about it that much right now.  

I've thought the same thing about Nix running.  Not a priority, as such I believe will hurt OBD later.

I believe Nix has to be part of the running scheme.  If course, it could very well be this OL unit needs time figuring it all out.  Running Nix risks injury.

This is a wait and see deal.  Stopping this offense is on film now.  Adjustments will absolutely be necessary. 

• Thumbs Up 2