FishDuck Article

Colorado is the New Hotness and That’s Just Fine

Colorado and their head coach Deion Sanders are coming to Eugene this weekend and, love him or hate him, you have to respect him. So much of the Sanders hatred out there really comes from how the media is fawning over Colorado, which is a good team but, let’s get real, they aren’t going to make the College Football Playoff ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Colorado and their head coach Deion Sanders are coming to Eugene this weekend and, love him or hate him, you have to respect him. So much of...
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

If I blocked every publication that posted about them, I'd be off the Internet for a long while.  Like Josh Pate said, the excitement he brings causes the boards to flood with Casuals!  Everyone has an opinion.  Between that and the insufferable Media storylines, I just shake my head.

"Colorado is an upstart program right now and certainly the trendy program for the media to point cameras on. As Duck fans it is reasonable to be bitter about this. After all, we used to be the new hotness."

David, I'm not sure many fans are bitter about the lights being shown on CU and Prime.  Amused might be a better term since real football fans know this team is not destined for a Pac 12 CShip.

I think they deserve the hype, but I also can't wait to see the reaction/rationalization when CU comes down to earth with the losses that are ahead on their schedule. 

What's the old media saying? With publicity comes the good and the bad but all publicity is 'good'.  It's been 'good' for Colorado, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

CSU-Colorado draws late-night record 9.3M viewers on ESPN

WWW.ESPN.COM

Colorado's double-overtime win over Colorado State drew 9.3 million viewers, making it the most-watched late-night college football game ever on ESPN.

• Wow 1

Super take, David, thank you!

I am happy that you made the comparison between the NIKE marketing campaign that gave Oregon national awareness and the at the time, unique offense Chip brought to Eugene and the game of CFB. If any team should appreciate aggressive marketing that team is the Ducks. Right, Bodacious?

Say what you will in favor of or against Deion but he has put a moribund football program back on the map. I had season tickets for CU football when my daughter, Kordell Stewart, and Heisman winner Salaam, were attending CU. Boulder was electric for every home game.

Last season, CU averaged 17,000 fans for its home games. CU was the 66th, on average, most-watched CFB team in the country. CU drew an average of 353K viewers. Today? CU has been the most viewed team in the nation. It was SRO for the Nebraska and CSU games. Has any coaching hire ever scored an immediate off-the-charts ROI as has the hire of Deion? I very much doubt it.

The game on Saturday is kicking off at 3:30 Eastern on ABC. Had this game been played in Eugene last season the game would have kicked off at 10:30 Eastern on Larry's Lost Network.

Love him or hate him, Deion is dropping bread on Puddles and the audience for Saturday's game should be 6M+ viewers. This, of course, will help Oregon's national recognition, and recruiting, and give Bo and Shedure a grand stage to show off their Heisman bona fides.

P5(4) CFB is big business. It is about entertainment. Let's enjoy the circus coming to town and hand Prime and Sons their first L of the season. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/19/2023 at 8:48 AM, Steven A said:

Colorado is an upstart program right now and certainly the trendy program for the media to point cameras on. As Duck fans it is reasonable to be bitter about this. After all, we used to be the new hotness."

The only predictable thing about highly creative types is their unpredictability and excellent timing.

Both Colorado’s present, and Oregon’s past ‘hotness’ are/were based on moves no one could have foreseen: Dion’s move from Jackson St to Colorado, and Chip Kelly’s from New Hampshire to Oregon. Both moves were the products of seeing the right opportunity, and knowing when to jump.

As an Oregon fan watching Colorado, I feel a bit like the guy sitting in the stands watching another kid shine on the stage he once occupied. There’s a tinge of envy, but also the recognition that the baton must be passed. 

Like childhood, it’s fun to recall, but I wouldn’t want to repeat it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Great take, WW. The man's first name is "Deion." Or, is it "Neon?"

Thanks JJ. Never was much good at creative spelling.

• Thumbs Up 1

CU Sells Complete Season Out For First Time

CUBUFFS.COM

BOULDER—With the announcement of the Arizona game on November 11 selling out, the Colorado Buffaloes have officially sold out the entire season for the first time in history, school officials...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I can't help it...as an old-fart publisher, I am just an easy mark, a sucker for a great title.  David, you so had me at "Hotness," and I just love the title!

But your article was fun too as a moment of reflection as a program, and how across the nation and in the telecasts--that comparison of how Oregon started the marketing for a program, and Colorado is the latest version of "hotness." (Gosh I love that word in this context!  Wish I'd have thought of it!)

And it IS a great contrast, a great story and a prime recruiting tool for both schools; Buffs are hot, but Oregon...

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 9/19/2023 at 10:09 AM, Washington Waddler said:

As an Oregon fan watching Colorado, I feel a bit like the guy sitting in the stands watching another kid shine on the stage he once occupied. There’s a tinge of envy, but also the recognition that the baton must be passed. 

Naw...I don't think so...

Go ahead....do what Oregon does.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

If 9.3 mill watched CSU and the Buffs how many might tune for an Oregon Colorado match up?

• Let’s hope! 1

On 9/19/2023 at 12:36 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If 9.3 mill watched CSU and the Buffs how many might tune for an Oregon Colorado match up?

Wowsa.  Bigger than a bowl game?  What a fantastic platform to launch Bo's Heisman promotion, AND the new defense that Lanning is unveiling to the fans and the nation?

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On ESPN College Football Live today I was very happy to see Deion calling out the idiots who threatened the CSU player and his family.

"It's a game," said Deion, "someone is going to win and someone is going to lose but it's just a game. 

The young man was playing as hard as he could and made a mistake. It happens and to threaten the young man and his family is wrong; it's inappropriate."

Yes, he was wearing his cowboy hat and shades when he so opined. But I think that it is great that he came to the young man's defense.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Insanely busy day for me today so sadly this is the first time I've had a chance to check the forum. 

I'd also like to note that Oregon is a mature program. We have our traditions... in that we love to not have a traditional uniform but change them all the time. 

But we have a brand that is recognizable and everyone knows it. That Oregon O means something. So we aren't dependent anymore on being the hotness... 

And we'll steal some of that hotness again soon when he crush Colorado and then Washington... and the rest of the conference. 

• Go Ducks! 1

If and when and it may be sooner than later Oregon's D matches it's Offense The Ducks will be once again the darlings of college football. The Buffs are just one stepping stone in the way.

On 9/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, 1Ducker1 said:

If and when and it may be sooner than later Oregon's D matches it's Offense The Ducks will be once again the darlings of college football. The Buffs are just one stepping stone in the way.

The Buffs are playing like a big 12 team right now. They'll happily play a shootout and so far that's really what they've gotten... minus 3 quarters of Colorado State. 

They have been very lucky with the turnovers going their way as well. 

They'll be a solid team in the Big 12 next year. We'll see if their defense can step up if they offense struggles this weekend... assuming Oregon's defense causes them some problems. 

If the Ducks don't lose their head and get caught up in all the hype, if they play under control and execute the offense and defense as coached and schemed they should win this game in a convincing fashion.  I expect they will but one never knows until the coin is tossed and the last whistle blown.  GO DUCKS.

Edited by Mic

Like I've said, I'm a big Coach Prime fan. But reality has a wicked way of humbling all men. 

I'm not exactly big on making predictions but I'm going to say that the the Buffs end the regular season 6-6 or 7-5... and get into a bowl game (losing @ Oregon, USC, @ WSU, @ Utah, & OSU... and @ UCLA is a toss up).

The wheels begin to come flying off the Prime Train this Saturday in Eugene. 

Viewer numbers for the Buffaloes are up 820% (!) from 2022. 

Amazing what one great hire can do.

FANSIDED.COM

When Coach Prime took over the football program in Boulder, there were plenty of folks who scoffed. Some said his experience at a major division one program wou