Ktmguy2018

Interesting Sentiments Coming Out Of Troy

Granted, I don't know how big of a cross-section of fans this is, but there are more than a few with the same feelings about Riley.

Wonder how soon before the wheels come off....

For the record, the screenshare comment came from this article.  A few writers lamenting how much better Oregon is on defense....which made my heart happy!!

TROJANDAILYBLOG.COM

Caleb Williams dazzles as No. 8 USC holds off Colorado Trojans QB throws for 403 yards and 6 TDs in a 48-41...

Screenshot_20230930-211759.png.ad9cc2d61bd48168d7f0ed61c44f2571.png

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Lanning, Tosh and company continue to out recruit USC, particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

“Why would you want to go to USC, they don’t play defense? Come to Oregon and you can compete for championships and be a first round selection like Gonzo, Kayvon, etc.”

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Meanwhile... Oregon's defense is averaging 11.8 points per game allowed...

• Wow 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/30/2023 at 10:04 PM, David Marsh said:

Meanwhile...

6, if you only count league games 🤫

• Applause 1

The Grinch that stole Defense has to have photos.

• Haha 1

Well, given the opportunity to compare head-to-head matchups with the same team (Colorado) it certainly seems that Oregon has the much stronger Defensive unit, no doubt about it.  

True, Colorado was playing on their home field and had a week to learn from their defeat in Eugene, but that hardly seems enough to help them score 41 points against USC and have the strong 2nd Half they played.  

Offensively things "might" be a push between SC and O (might being subjective) but there is no comparison as to which team is better equipped defensively.  

Good news for Oregon fans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey everybody scores on USC. Great defenses like a coordinated organism out there. My admittedly unsystematic observations of USC is that different position groups (e.g., linebackers and DBs) are often out of sync with one another. Oregon plays a much better patterned  defense. But I do believe that SC has a more explosive offense than Oregon, and maybe anyone else does this year. 

But Offense can only take you so far. Recall that Riley, who has coached for many years now has never won a playoff game. I may be wrong, but I can't remember his team ever being in the playoffs despite three Heisman winners at QB.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/4/2023 at 10:23 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Hey everybody scores on USC. Great defenses like a coordinated organism out there. My admittedly unsystematic observations of USC is that different position groups (e.g., linebackers and DBs) are often out of sync with one another. Oregon plays a much better patterned  defense. But I do believe that SC has a more explosive offense than Oregon, and maybe anyone else does this year. 

But Offense can only take you so far. Recall that Riley, who has coached for many years now has never won a playoff game. I may be wrong, but I can't remember his team ever being in the playoffs despite three Heisman winners at QB.

His teams had made the playoffs ...  but never won a playoff game. 

Got close once but came up short against Georgia, first time Georgia made the playoff. The other appearances were less competitive. 

USC's offensive line was 'physically beat' against Colorado

USC's offensive line was 'physically beat' against Colorado.

USC only rushed for 22 yards in the second half of last week's 48-41 win over Colorado.

The inability to move the ball on the ground and chew up clock helped fuel the Buffaloes' comeback from 41-14 down.

USC head coach Lincoln Riley did not hold back when discussing his offense's second half rushing performance...

247SPORTS.COM

USC center Justin Dedich didn't hold back when assessing the Trojan offensive line's performance against Colorado last week.

• Wow 1

Defense wins championships. There is a reason Lincoln Riley can only sniff at it. And get upset by a Tulane. And still keep the same DC for another go around.

Witness what Georgia did with a gamer but middling talented walk-on QB the last two years. Imagine a first round level QB running those UGA offenses. The domination would have been even more impressive. Yet it was the DL coached defense that was mainly responsible for hoisting that first NC trophy.

The Dawgs were (arguably still are) a juggernaut because of defense. Kirby Smart's defense, yes, but DL had a lot to do with it. IMO the growth of the Duck D this year is due to Lanning instituting the formula that was so successful at Georgia. 

Points will be allowed against Williams and Penix led teams.  Oregon's disciplined play and superior talent and coaching should be the difference maker in both contests. USC will be a serious test but hopefully the template gets established against UW first.