FishDuck Article

Ducks Improve Historically in 2023

For much of the 1900’s the Oregon Ducks were… not so good at football. For example, in the 1920’s saw the Ducks go winless four times in ten years. Other times, they were excellent, like in 1948, when they went undefeated in the regular season (7-0), only to do the exact opposite only two seasons later. The program also (sadly) ...

FISHDUCK.COM

For much of the 1900's the Oregon Ducks were… not so good at football. For example, in the 1920's saw the Ducks go winless four times in ten years.
  • Applause 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks for the fine article, Ryan.  I enjoy your writing.

I'd just make one comment about the last word in it ... "respectable".  The phrase was "... it is comforting to think that in only three short decades they have become, at the very worst, respectable." 

As it was italicized, I realize the word was intended to carry more meaning.  But I'd like to add a modern era addendum and elucidate the phrase with "Since 2000, the Ducks have amassed a whopping 73%-win percentage."  Further, these are the teams that were playing during the most important time when almost every Duck player/recruit has been alive.  Yes, the Ducks have improved over time.  But WOW have they ever.

I don't know where that percentage lies with regards to teams such as Alabama (and their annual games against The Sisters of the Poor Univ. teams), but it's not far behind.  By the way, Alabama also had a reasonably poor historical record prior to 2006.

• Applause 2

Ah, thank you Ryan,....we have not had a history article, or an article even looking at Oregon football history in SO LONG.  It was sweet to read, and reflect upon how far we have come.

And the best is yet to be!

Dan Lanning, Phil Knight and 2023 Team_Oregon Football X.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/8/2023 at 8:29 AM, Mudslide said:

I don't know where that percentage lies with regards to teams such as Alabama (and their annual games against The Sisters of the Poor Univ. teams), but it's not far behind.  By the way, Alabama also had a reasonably poor historical record prior to 2006.

Oregon plays their "sisters" too - in fact, just about all universities do now.  But your point is well made.  

In CFB, respect takes time, esp. if a team hasn't won a National Title yet (let alone 2 or more).  Just look at what's happened to TCU's reputation in just one season.  It took them years to get to a title game only to fall almost completely off the table after their embarrassing loss last year.  Oregon is different in that while not having won a title yet they're still in the hunt for one and doing what they need to do to get that elusive title.  They've remained relative and then some.  Next week fans will know how relative.  This game upcoming is huge for the program.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mic said:

This game upcoming is huge for the program.

Maybe.  Maybe not.

We could lose this game, beat them in the Pac-12 Championship and still make the Playoff.

Oregon Poster2.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

The past 30 years has been good to Oregon. Since 1995 they have had 2 losing seasons. One in 04" under Bellotti and one in 16" under Helf. 6 losing conference records during same time frame.

Ducks have had some dominate years in the modern era. Arguably, They have been the flagship program of the Pac. The modern era is what matters imo.

Next year Ducks move to the B1G and Pac records and accomplishments will no longer be built on.  It won't take long before the Pac is a distant memory. Sad imo.

I hope Ducks can continue the success in the B1G they have established in the Pac. That they can boast numbers that put them at the top of the B1G statistically right out of the gate.

First year in, from what many say, could be a huge challenge. Ducks will be rebuilding a huge chunk of their roster. A daunting task for any head coach. We will see if Lanning is up to the challenge or if the first 18 months of his tenure was simply beginners luck.

Going to be fun watching this new era unfold over the next few years.  It's my belief that the Ducks will become a true national power that is feared and respected.

On 10/8/2023 at 9:39 AM, Mic said:

Oregon plays their "sisters" too - in fact, just about all universities do now.

Yes we do, but only twins or triplets. The SEC gets quads as they only have 8 league games.  Opps, guints, I forgot Vandy.

• Haha 3

Thank you, Ryan.

Improved, heck yes!

Today, Oregon has the #9 Blue Chip Roster in CFB.

On 10/8/2023 at 8:29 AM, Mudslide said:

these are the teams that were playing during the most important time when almost every Duck player/recruit has been alive

💯

Anything before ‘00 only matters to parents.

I would like to add there are some very suspect programs claiming national titles before there were NCAA national titles in football

We play one this coming weekend. A program which has never won an NCAA men’s title in anything!

The leg lifters are really just squatters.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:01 PM, Haywarduck said:

I would like to add there are some very suspect programs claiming national titles before there were NCAA national titles in football

We play one this coming weekend. A program which has never won an NCAA men’s title in anything!

The leg lifters are really just squatters.

Ha!

You are going to love my article tomorrow!

giphy.gif

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck