FishDuck Article

SEC Destroys My Amazing B1G Scheduling Plan

I do not disagree with the new 2024 schedule set forth by the B1G. But, in my dream scenario (I am sure I am not the only one who thought of this), the B1G plays 10 conference games in which the Ducks play USC, UCLA and Washington every season, on top of seven other conference foes one year, and the remaining ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Darren Perkins of FishDuck.com really hopes that the SEC will step up and expand to a nine game conference schedule.
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Ducks recruit all over the nation. Pulling guys from Texas, Florida, Alabama...

Less games in LA shouldn't be an issue. Media today covers just about any team you want to watch. If anything, joining the B1G expands Oregons footprint from LA to NYC.

Less and less, recruiting comes down to location. It's a much smaller world than the stone age of 1985.

"Say what you want about Mario coaching...". I am sure Mariø will give us plenty of opportunity in the future. MC was shady in the way he left Oregon. Many of us take great joy in mocking his enormous blunders. 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/12/2023 at 6:12 AM, cartm25 said:

As one who loves to pile on Mari Cristbal, I am grateful to him for changing the recruiting paradigm at Oregon.

That said, I’m so glad he’s not a Duck anymore, and that he continues to make national news for monumental blunders and losses to much lesser teams, LOL!

I'm glad he is gone too and get a kick out if the blunders. He definitely changed the mentality if Oregon recruiting. 

On 10/12/2023 at 4:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

Less games in LA shouldn't be an issue. Media today covers just about any team you want to watch. If anything, joining the B1G expands Oregons footprint from LA to NYC.

Less and less, recruiting comes down to location. It's a much smaller world than the stone age of 1985.

"Say what you want about Mario coaching...". I am sure Mariø will give us plenty of opportunity in the future. MC was shady in the way he left Oregon. Many of us take great joy in mocking his enormous blunders. 

Yup, the "regional" game of college football is no more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

First off great article Darren and I want to thank Natalie Liebhaber for editing too. Both of you quietly make the mornings better, and more polished. There are even more people to be grateful for, but a shout out to these two today!

As far as giving Mario love then we need to give Willie some love too. Fortunately Frost’s analysis of Oregons recruiting ability was as bogus as his coaching abilities at Nebraska.

As far as Oregon losing an advantage by not traveling to socal once a year, I agree, it isn’t going to be a problem. One of the reasons student athletes leave cali is they want out. Where I live they are coming in droves and they don’t want to go back, unfortunately.

The big item is Dan Lanning will have our men playing against Oregon's potential every week. OBD just need to do that this weekend and all will be good there too, Go Ducks!

• Applause 1

Sorry Darren, I have to disagree with "Beating the Huskies on Saturday should amount to the most satisfying victory over them this century."

I'm going to go with the "since the dawn of time" (that way we include Charles' lifetime).

• Haha 5
  • Applause 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

MC was shady in the way he left Oregon.

It may have seemed shady to us, but I have it from a good source that he informed Mullens if it opened up and was offered, he was going to take it.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:03 AM, Haywarduck said:

As far as Oregon losing an advantage by not traveling to socal once a year, I agree, it isn’t going to be a problem.

I agree.

Oregon stopped playing regular season games in LA every year since Utah and Colorado joined the conference and it split into North/South divisions. If I’m not mistaken, next year will be Oregon’s first regular season game in LA in 3-4 years.  

It hasn’t negatively impacted recruiting. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd expect the BIG to simply live up to the minimum expectations of the media contract. If Fox feels good with dumping boat loads of cash on the BIG for eight conference games a year, then that will be all the BIG will feel the need to schedule.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:54 AM, Log Haulin said:

NIL has made a difference in the need to play where recruits are located as has social media. 

And. one way or another, every P5/4 and G5 football game can be viewed in some fashion.

I think the idea that you have to play in state X because it produces so many recruits is antiquated.

On 10/12/2023 at 12:35 PM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I'd expect the BIG to simply live up to the minimum expectations of the media contract. If Fox feels good with dumping boat loads of cash on the BIG for eight conference games a year, then that will be all the BIG will feel the need to schedule.

Fox has already shown its hand. In the 5 seasons beginning in 2024, SC will play Ohio State or Michigan every season. Oregon will play Ohio State and Michigan twice as well as play Penn State.

Fox wants B1G big games and it wants 9 games and as Darren suggests, possibly 10 conference games to differentiate the B1G from the SEC and to differentiate Fox from ESPN. 

Fox Big Noon pregame show has made significant in-roads on Game Day. 

On 10/12/2023 at 7:53 AM, Steven A said:

It may have seemed shady to us, but I have it from a good source that he informed Mullens if it opened up and was offered, he was going to take it.

All well and good, but when asked, he lied. If someone lies to me I am done. It's Just the way I am.  

Actually it was Willie Taggart who broke the recruiting glass ceiling at Oregon, and Cristobal continued it.  Just before Taggart announced his departure--Oregon had the No. 3 ranked recruiting class in the nation, something that had never been done at Oregon.  Once he left--many of those recruits did as well, although Mario rescued quite a bit of that class.

No surprise he could recruit well...

Willie Taggart Liar.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks, Darren. The SEC seriously considered going to 9 games in 2024 but it wanted more money from ESPN to do so. Mickey Mouse said, "NO!"

The SEC has always had the advantage of fans showing up by the thousands (100,000) to watch Bama for example, beat down E, W, N, S - Somewhere State. And had the guts to try and justify this charade by arguing that 'the little guy' needs the money. Meet Nick Saban - Plilantrophist. 

The SEC, although by far the winner on the field of play, has gamed the system since BCS days. Easy to do when a Playoff Committee considers wins and losses and nothing else and 'Every SEC Game is a Battle of Titans' like no other. With NIL and the portal, the SEC hegemony IMO is drawing to a close.

Other than NW, Rutgers, and Indiana, B1G fans pack B1G stadiums through thick and thin. They even show up to watch Iowa play old-school, like back in the day when Harvard, Princeton, and Yale dominated CFB, offense. Or, what passes (pun intended) for offense?

B1G, help is on the way. 4-ranked Pac-12 teams will be entering the fray come 2024. Oregon, SC, and UW (not so much UCLA) will be playing heavyweight B1G games. With the financial power and influence of the B1G, the PO Committee will no longer be able to sweep SOS under the rug. I believe the B1G will get the same treatment as it does in CBB; namely, perhaps too much respect?

I also believe that ESecPN is not going to sit by and pay huge money for Texas to play Texas State. Texas A+M joined the SEC in 2012. Georgia has yet to play a game in College Station. 

3:30 PM Eastern, are you going to watch Oregon at Michigan or Bama vs. LA Monroe? 

Future Oregon scheduling has to be made with an eye on limiting travel. ACC teams Cal and Stanford would be perfect P5 opponents. Can't schedule FCS teams (although NW just played Howard)? Play UMass like Penn State is doing this Saturday. In 2023, PSU played Deleware and W. Virginia, and as noted, the Minute Men are coming to Happy Valley to be stomped, likely in the first minute of the game. 

With a B1G schedule, there is no reason for heroic OOC scheduling as we will see in 2024 when Michigan finally steps up and plays Texas OOC. In a 12-team playoff which I think will go to 16 in 2026 with no first-round byes, and no seeding preference for conference champs (at least one G5 team for political purposes will get a bid) play the SEC big boys in the playoff. 

If SC and UCLA had a do-over I very much doubt that both schools would be playing LSU in 2024.

And I reiterate, please Rob, do not schedule road games against G5 opponents. 

Thanks, Darren. 2024 will bring a new scheduling paradigm to the 4 Pac teams going, thankfully, to the B1G, and the coverage on the BTN will be far superior and far more watched to the coverage the Ducks have received on the Pac-12 network. Puddles will not be flying under the radar and recruits nationwide will pay attention to Oregon whether or not a game is played in Texas or SoCal.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

A ten game conference slate would essentially eliminate any chance of the Civil War continuing. Iowa would likely scratch their Iowa State matchup, Washington would likely do the same with the Apple Cup, and USC would likely back out of the Notre Dame matchup. Seeing Notre Dame getting locked out would be a sight to see.

On 10/12/2023 at 7:03 AM, Haywarduck said:

First off great article Darren and I want to thank Natalie Liebhaber for editing too. Both of you quietly make the mornings better, and more polished. There are even more people to be grateful for, but a shout out to these two today!

As far as giving Mario love then we need to give Willie some love too. Fortunately Frost’s analysis of Oregons recruiting ability was as bogus as his coaching abilities at Nebraska.

As far as Oregon losing an advantage by not traveling to socal once a year, I agree, it isn’t going to be a problem. One of the reasons student athletes leave cali is they want out. Where I live they are coming in droves and they don’t want to go back, unfortunately.

The big item is Dan Lanning will have our men playing against Oregon's potential every week. OBD just need to do that this weekend and all will be good there too, Go Ducks!

Thanks! I appreciate it. The world is a much small place these days, football is NOT a regional sport. 

On 10/12/2023 at 7:51 AM, Steven A said:

Sorry Darren, I have to disagree with "Beating the Huskies on Saturday should amount to the most satisfying victory over them this century."

I'm going to go with the "since the dawn of time" (that way we include Charles' lifetime).

Hahaha, watch out, let's not get you banned from FishDuck ; )  I guess I can't disagree. 

On 10/12/2023 at 9:35 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

Yup, sadly, all controlled by the networks.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:57 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Actually it was Willie Taggart who broke the recruiting glass ceiling at Oregon, and Cristobal continued it.  Just before Taggart announced his departure--Oregon had the No. 3 ranked recruiting class in the nation, something that had never been done at Oregon.  Once he left--many of those recruits did as well, although Mario rescued quite a bit of that class.

No surprise he could recruit well...

Willie Taggart Liar.jpg

Very true. But, was it Cristobal spearheading the recruiting efforts? I don't know. But, he was a former national recruiter of the year. 

On 10/12/2023 at 12:50 PM, Sunshine Larry said:

A ten game conference slate would essentially eliminate any chance of the Civil War continuing. Iowa would likely scratch their Iowa State matchup, Washington would likely do the same with the Apple Cup, and USC would likely back out of the Notre Dame matchup. Seeing Notre Dame getting locked out would be a sight to see.

If the networks pony up, maybe the season expands to 13 games. More conference games probably means more premier matchups. 

Darren, thanks again.

A deeper future scheduling B1G dive. Through 2028. Oregon - H/A.

'Pac-12' B1G opponents.

UW - 5 - 3/2

USC - 3 - 2/1

UCLA - 3 - 1/2

The B1G 3 -

Ohio State - 3 - 2/1

Penn State - 3 - 1/2 - 2 White Outs?

Michigan - 2 - 1/1

Other B1G notables.

Michigan State - 4 - 2/2 including consecutive games in E. Lansing in 2026 and 2027. More games than versus the LA schools.

Wisconsin - 3 - 1/2

Iowa - 2 - 1/1

Nebraska - 2 - 1/1. (I thought that Nebraska and not Michigan State would, because of geography, be a 4 game opponent.) 

I am (FWIW) down with playing a G5 game at Hawaii for Pacific Islander recruiting, and playing 13 games with an extra home game as is the case in 2024. I'm fine with playing Boise and Utah State but not with playing these teams on the road.

P5/4 opponents - 2024 -Texas Tech, 2025/26 - Oklahoma State, 2027/28 - Baylor. Really? Why drop sugar in the pockets of B12 teams instead of playing old foes Cal and Stanford?

On 10/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, Darren Perkins said:

If the networks pony up, maybe the season expands to 13 games. More conference games probably means more premier matchups. 

The season is so short as it is. I'm all for every week having great matchups. I don't think we're gonna see teams afraid to lose early anymore with a true playoff on the horizon. Every major conference should play the same amount of conference games. The SEC should schedule opponents from the Big 10. The ACC should go against the Big 12. Then the four conferences can swap the next season. That should be your O.O.C slate.

Granted, it is getting harder and harder to say these kids are students, but adding games makes it more like they are employees.  More games would be great, but when some people are already complaining about the length of the college season and kids having so many snaps under their belt before going the NFL, I think it will be a hard sell.

I am confused (nothing new.)

It troubled me that the Go Ducks site shows 4 games vs. Michigan State from 2024 through 2028. As far as I know from BTNetwork's coverage of the schedules, which was detailed, except for a permanent opponent(s) no B1G team is to play another B1G team more than 4 times from 2024 to 2028. 

I went to the Michigan site. This site shows Oregon in 2027 playing Michigan in Ann Arbor. On Go Ducks, Michigan is not on the schedule in 2027. I then went to a Future Football Schedules site. The site confirmed that Oregon is at Michigan in 2027 and does not play Michigan State. A search of Michigan State's future schedules confirms that Michigan State does not play Oregon in 2027.

So, adjusting for this - Michigan - 3 - 1/2  Michigan State - 3 - 2/1.

BTW, how is this for difficult OOC scheduling? Michigan - Texas 2024/ at Texas 2027. At Oklahoma 2025/ Oklahoma 2026. That's some tough games vs. SEC teams that were likely B12 teams when the schedule was made. In 2024 add Ohio State, OREGON, USC, and UW.

OREGON B1G Schedule Through 2028 - The Full Monty By B1G Opponent

Illinois - 24 - H/ 26 A / 28 A - 3 1/2

Indiana -  25 - H/ 26 - A/ 28 H - 3 2/1

Iowa - 25 A/ 27 H/ 2 - 1/1

Maryland - 24 H/ 27 A/ - 2 - 1/1

Michigan - 24 A/  26 H/ 27 A  - 3 1/2

Michigan -  OOC - 24 Texas/ 25 at Oklahoma/ 26 Oklahoma/ 27 at Texas WOW!

Michigan State - 24 H/ 26 A/ 28 H - 3 2/1

Nebraska - 26 H/ 27 A - 2 1/1

NW - 25 A/ 26 H/ 27 A - 3 1/2

Ohio State - 24 H/ 26 A/ 27 H - 3 2/1

Ohio State OOC - 24 No P5/ 25 H Texas/ 26 A Texas/ 27 H Alabama/ 26 A Alabama - Double WOW!

Penn State - 25 A/ 27 H/ 28 A - 3 1/2

Penn State has a cupcake OOC schedule through 2028 - only P5 games are 24 at W. VA and 27 Home vs. Syracuse. IMO, Smart OOC scheduling.

Purdue - 24 A/ 27 H - 2 1/1

Rutgers - 25 A/ 28 H - 2 1/1

UCLA - 24 A/26 H/ 27 A27 A - 3 1/2

USC - 25 H/ 26 A/ 28 H - 3 2/1

UW - 24, 26, and 28 H/ 25 and 27 A - 5 3/2

Edited by Jon Joseph

I am not happy about the Ducks playing down the road at Boise and Utah State. But compared to the below OOC schedules vs. the P4 and 1 G5, Oregon State, I'll take the Ducks future OOC schedule.

OREGON - 24 TX Tech, 25 OK State, 26 at OK St, 27 at Baylor, 28 Baylor. This is more than enough.

Michigan - 24 vs.Texas, 25 at Oklahoma, 26 vs Oklahoma, 27 at Texas. Wow!

Ohio State - 25 Texas, 26 at Texas, 27 Alabama, 28 at Alabama (and 2030 at Georgia.) Come On Man!

Purdue - 24 Notre Dame, at Oregon State, 25 at Notre Dame, 26 Wake Forest, Notre Dame. 27 at Notre Dame, Duke

Minnesota - 24 at UNC, 25 at UNC, 26 at Cal, Mississippi State, 27 at Mississippi State and Cal

Nebraska - 24 CU, 25 Tennessee, 27 at Tennessee

UCLA - 24 at LSU, 25 Georgia, 26 at Georgia, 27 Auburn, 28 at Auburn

Hogs get slaughtered and Ducks get fed. 

Puddles has enough on the plate playing a B1G schedule.

Let's play SEC teams in the Playoff.

Edited by Jon Joseph