Mic

What's Your Favorite Tailgate Food?

Tailgating at Autzen with friends can be amazing as some people go absolutely all-out with nearly everything imaginable that can be cooked or served to hungry enthusiastic fans.  If you had to name just one food that you absolutely must-have, what would it be?  Please share.

If at home watching the game with family or friends for me it's pizza.  At Autzen it would be pulled pork sliders, But it was really hard to pick just one.  

Haven't tailgated in years, since way back when it was easy to drive to and park at Autzen. A bunch of us from the neighborhood would each bring something, and I always brought my favorite, potato salad.

I used my mother's recipe for it, because whenever we had class get-togethers in high school, everyone asked for my Mom's potato salad. It is real, old-fashioned potato salad, none of that Nicoise stuff. 😉

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

On 10/19/2023 at 7:56 AM, Annie said:

I used my mother's recipe for it, because whenever we had class get-togethers in high school, everyone asked for my Mom's potato salad. It is real, old-fashioned potato salad, none of that Nicoise stuff. 😉

I'm not sure what you mean by nicoise but potato salad is a tailgate staple.  Over the year, tho, I've become more fond of a good macaroni salad and my wife makes a great one.  Her potato salad has yet to equal what I remember my mom could make. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 8:01 AM, Mic said:

I'm not sure what you mean by nicoise but potato salad is a tailgate staple.  Over the year, tho, I've become more fond of a good macaroni salad and my wife makes a great one.  Her potato salad has yet to equal what I remember my mom could make. 

Nicoise potato salad has, in addition to potatoes, ingredients such as green beans, gem lettuces, black olives, plum tomatoes, tuna. It is a salad, but to me it is not real potato salad. 🙂

I enjoy macaroni salad too, but I let someone else make that while I stick to potato salad. 🙃

Also, I've had what some people call potato salad that is just boiled potatoes with oil and vinegar and not much else. I mean, no mayo???!!! 😄

Edited by Annie
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

German sausage dogs with sauerkraut, onions, and mustard also with potato chips and a bottle of beer or two

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'll go with Charles' favorite IPA brand.

Staker.com lists Notorious Triple IPA, Boneyard Brewing Company as being Oregon's best IPA.

Brand name-wise, I like Hoppy New Year, Block 15 Brewery and Restaurant.

But beware of tipping too many IPA's pregame and having the game Brew By You.

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Applause 1

A good burger and a brat is the best for me, not to mention potato salad like some of you guys 😀

• Thumbs Up 1

Brats, brats all day long, love a good sausage with mustard.  Morning tailgates I'll go with biscuits and gravy, but it's pretty hard to get a great biscuits and gravy from my experience.  

Side dish I would say cornbread, which should NOT be sweet.  Then again I pretty much only like my mom's family recipe for that so if I'm at a friends tailgate I'll probably be disappointed.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's been decades since we've had a proper tailgater at Autzen, back when we could drive in and park anywhere. We have instead strived for efficiently getting in and out of the madhouse by riding the bus. Kugn Radio sponsors a tailgate in the parking lot serving Hole in the Wall BBQ and Track town Pizza. We have tickets for this Saturday. For away games we sometimes get together with friends that might feature home made tacos or Papa Murphy's take and bake.  

When I'm tasked with the main dish I like to fix my famous babyback ribs. The best recipe is the 3-2-1 method. Rub and smoke on my Traeger for 3 hours. Then wrap with foil with a dash of juice or my secret ingredient, whiskey to steam for 2 hours and a last hour slathered with sauce to set. EMMM. Delicious. 

• Wow 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I like grilled meat as much as anyone, but if I’m arriving the day of the game then I’ll usually stop and get fried chicken and sides from Popeyes or Bojangles.

I just stick with Miller Lite or Yuengling as far as beer goes. I’ll also have a bit of bourbon sometimes if the weather is a little cooler.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fun thread.

I only tailgate about once a year, and when I do I'm mostly about quick and easy eats.

At home I like to spend the better part of one Saturday each fall taking way too long making chili while watching football all day. I make it with chuck steak cut into small pieces, dry rubbed a couple days before, seared, then simmered in the chili until it's almost falling apart.

My favorite gameday beer is Bodhizafa IPA by Georgetown Brewing. Yes, it's from Seattle...but it's delicious, and the original Point Break was awesome. They also make a Johnny Utah Pale.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2023 at 12:08 PM, bbmichaels said:

My favorite gameday beer is Bodhizafa IPA by Georgetown Brewing. Yes, it's from Seattle...but it's delicious

An IPA I have not tried... guess I know what I'm drinking Saturday! 

On 10/19/2023 at 11:28 AM, Red Eddy Green said:

When I'm tasked with the main dish I like to fix my famous babyback ribs. The best recipe is the 3-2-1 method. Rub and smoke on my Traeger for 3 hours. Then wrap with foil with a dash of juice or my secret ingredient, whiskey to steam for 2 hours and a last hour slathered with sauce to set. EMMM. Delicious. 

It sounds delicious!  I have my own rib recipe that I fix on my Oklahoma Joes drum smoker.  If it weren't so darned heavy (150 lbs.) I'd love to take it to Autzen some weekend.  Smokes pork shoulders very well too for my pulled pork sliders.

On 10/19/2023 at 11:42 AM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

I just stick with Miller Lite or Yuengling as far as beer goes. I’ll also have a bit of bourbon sometimes if the weather is a little cooler.

I've never tasted Yuengling beer.  I love a host of crafts from Ninkazi, Hop Valley, Deschutes, 7-Devils, Boneyard, etc, etc.  But I've never seen Yuengling for sale down here on the south coast. Go figure...

On 10/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Mic said:

I've never tasted Yuengling beer.  I love a host of crafts from Ninkazi, Hop Valley, Deschutes, 7-Devils, Boneyard, etc, etc.  But I've never seen Yuengling for sale down here on the south coast. Go figure...

It’s basically just an amber lager. Nothing too impressive. It’s not sold west of Kansas and Oklahoma. If you make it to the East Coast make sure to try one. If only for the reason that it’s the oldest brewery in the U.S. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 4:34 PM, DrJacksPlaidPants said:

It’s basically just an amber lager. Nothing too impressive. It’s not sold west of Kansas and Oklahoma. If you make it to the East Coast make sure to try one. If only for the reason that it’s the oldest brewery in the U.S. 

Reminds me of a beer an old friend of mine told me about that I just had to try.  He was originally from Mora, Minnesota and he had this grand fondness for Grain Belt beer.  Told me I had to get it off the tap if I could, when I went out to visit family in St. Paul.  I didn't get a chance to try it off the tap but I brought a case home for the the two of us to enjoy.  He loved it, it was just so-so for me, probably because he bragged it up so high.  But everything I've heard about Yengling has been positive.  Maybe someday I'll get a chance to try it.  I heard they capitalized on Bud Light's troubles.  Fine with me if they did.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/19/2023 at 4:19 PM, Mic said:

I tried a few young ones back in the day. They also were not sold where I lived. Bummer!

On 10/19/2023 at 7:39 PM, Mic said:

Reminds me of a beer an old friend of mine told me about that I just had to try.  He was originally from Mora, Minnesota and he had this grand fondness for Grain Belt beer.  Told me I had to get it off the tap if I could, when I went out to visit family in St. Paul.  I didn't get a chance to try it off the tap but I brought a case home for the the two of us to enjoy.  He loved it, it was just so-so for me, probably because he bragged it up so high.  But everything I've heard about Yengling has been positive.  Maybe someday I'll get a chance to try it.  I heard they capitalized on Bud Light's troubles.  Fine with me if they did.

We Americans love our regional beers. I remember thinking Henry’s was the best thing going when I was in my early 20’s. I had a buddy from Pittsburgh who swore by Iron City beer. He would bring a case or two back to the West Coast for us to drink. It was decent but nothing great. But, he was proud of it because Iron City marketed themselves as the blue collar sports fan’s beer. One of the potential great things about going to the B1G is going to away games and experiencing the regional beers and foods.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I had a friend who had a catering service in Portland get interviewed by a radio station up there years ago.  He said he'd never heard of a tailgate party so he didn't know what to say so he told them things like grilled salmon and stuffed mushrooms. 

I busted his onions for not knowing what a tailgate party was and told him he should've said things like brats, hamburgers, beans, salads.  Come to find out his thoughts were pretty accurate.  I've walked by some pretty nice spreads over the years with stuff I'd never think to have.  And oh gawd the smells!!!!!

He was also the same guy who would take filet mignon and lobster in camping trips.  Good friend to have.

Also fun to hit The Cooler on some game days for some before game adult beverages!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 6:47 AM, candyduck said:

I busted his onions for not knowing what a tailgate party was and told him he should've said things like brats, hamburgers, beans, salads.  Come to find out his thoughts were pretty accurate.  I've walked by some pretty nice spreads over the years with stuff I'd never think to have.  And oh gawd the smells!!!!

I've seen some pretty amazing spreads myself at Autzen over the years.  Some people really go all-out and are actually mostly there for the party, setting up flatscreens to watch the game instead of inside the stadium.  

Full bars, chaffing dish layouts, pellet stoves and food buffets enough to serve 25-40 people or more.  I attended one last year that had about 50 people stop in for drinks and grub.  There was a 65"+ flatscreen hanging off the side of the motorhome and at least a dozen people watching games before the Ducks played, during and after.

One gets the idea, the football games themselves are almost a second to the party.  GO OREGON!

BEER

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Applause 1

Spaten Optimator | Total Wine & MoreMy fav.

• Cool 1

If I bring a grill I am all about simple. Since I have to clean up afterwards. 

Burgers, brats, chips w/dip, with all the proper fixings. For the warm September games, I used to bring melon wrapped in prosciutto, and a balsamic glaze for a kind of dessert, but i am old and lazy now.

So, now I just bring a bowl of Halloween type candy for the people with a sweet tooth. 

It all disappears really fast, and nobody leaves hungry. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:06 AM, Joe fricken said:

Spaten Optimator | Total Wine & MoreMy fav.

That's a new one on me.  So many beers to taste... so little time...

• Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, my favorite tailgating food is whatever is being served, and drinking whatever is the coldest!

We don't usually make it to a lot of games, but we get "ducked up" every Saturday and when the son and grandkids come over I grill meat and the wife makes all kinds of finger foods.

Our grandkids actually like veggies, so we always have a huge veggie and dip platter, but only yellow and green colored veggies. Never carrots!

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1