Charles Fischer

WSU Head Coach Jake Dickert: 'Attacking is Oregon's Style'

My Duck-Buddies...these are already in an article posted on another thread, but I wanted to single them out for discussion--which is something I encourage everyone to do when they see something they want to comment on.

It is one thing for Coach Dan Lanning to say he is aggressive, or the team is espouse it...or even for the media to claim it--but it is another to hear it from the opposing coach.  For me, all these tidbits add up to learning more about what Lanning is building at Oregon and how he wishes to play. 

Doesn't it make you reflect on his 4th down choices when reading what is below?  I know it did for me...  (I have inserted what he is referring to at times)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Washington State Head Coach Jake Dickert:

"I just want to start out by saying that's a heck of a football team that we just competed against, obviously they've proven the first seven weeks, eight weeks of the season that they're one of the best teams in the country."

"...we just didn't match their physicality at times and didn't make some plays when we had some opportunities. It's a credit to them and what they're doing..."

"I think in the second half it  (the WSU pass protection) started to get a little bit leaky, he did more of those scramble plays. We (Cam) were off target and timing was a little bit. Give credit to them. like I said, they roll in 18 guys up front, they keep attacking you. We were ok in some off-script plays, and did an average job of establishing the run when we did run the football. I think the bigger moments is they won some key four, and we had some opportunities late in the second half. Credit to them, but I like where we were offensively, had some explosive plays, but they kept us off balance up front in the second half.” 

This is two years in a row of almost giving up 10 yards per play to this team. And they're good, . I thought they stayed ahead of us in the run game.”

WSU's new head coach Jake Dickert has a lot of experience winning in a  small town | Sports | Spokane | The Pacific Northwest Inlander | News,  Politics, Music, Calendar, Events in

“We knew if we could come into the game and find a way to get them to turn over the ball, which they don't do, and protect the ball, that we could gain an advantage. We knew we'd have to stop them a little bit with a fumble or interception and that was going to be part of the plan defensively to try to get the ball back. There's never really an opportunity there to go do that."

"I think early on, they came out and tried to attack the system pass game. I think we managed that well, we had some really good red-zone stops and then they came out and said, Hey, let's get physical with them. And I don't know if we responded to it, as well as we're capable of and being as fit conscious as we were. Some of those were untouched runs, and you know, we can't have that against a really good opponent. Some of them were those making our guys miss."

"Oregon’s Oregon and they’re comfortable with their game plan and they’re more of an attacking style. In that first half we walked in and said man that was a heck of a job in protection. I felt that way across the board. Clean pockets, I mean, we were picking their stuff up and I thought they leaned on us a little bit as that game went and that was probably the shift in the second half."

"But you know, they didn't do a whole lot of three-down drop eight, that's not their style, it's not their nature. They played within themselves, and besides a couple of new pressures that got us on the fourth down and got us early on in the third down. We felt like they were pretty consistent with how they attacked a lot of people."

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2023 at 3:46 PM, Charles Fischer said:

find a way to get them to turn over the ball, which they don't do

I hesitate to opine on this bc I don’t want to jinx it, but Dickert is correct on this point.

Thanks for those quotes, @Charles Fischer!

It just occurred to me that I really like all the PAC coaches this year. 

I can’t stand Riley, but I love him for U$C.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Applause 1

On 10/22/2023 at 3:57 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

I can’t stand Riley, but I love him for U$C.

But you have to admit, with the way he operates, he is the perfect matchup for the University of Spoiled Children!

He is truly one of them!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning has built this team and hired his coaches to implement a style that he believes is a formula to win at an elite level.

There will be minor adjustments in game plan and in game adjustments. But these will be relatively slight.

Lanning is who he is as a coach. He will grow and adapt but at the core not a lot will change.

Win or lose, Lanning will impose his will on other teams and make them adjust to Oregon, not the other way around. Lanning will dictate terms. I don't think its in his dna to do it any other way.

If the Oregon brass think they are going to get Lanning to do it different (4th down aggression), they should tread lightly. 

Lanning, if pushed to hard to adjust to their liking, will probably say thanks but no thanks. And find another place to win football games.

Lanning is different. A new breed of coach that is emerging on the sceen same way CK did 15 years ago. And he is at Oregon. I hope the alpha dogs at Oregon leave him alone and let him do his thing.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4

Small, trivial point but what's with the 'W' on the hats (see photo above)?  That's like a Beaver wearing a hat with 'O' on it, no?  It's not Washington but Washington State.  Same with Oregon State.  Don't be ashamed of wearing WSU or OSU on the hats.  If ya gotta abbreviate, make it WS or OS.  

Like I said, just a trivial point. 

• Great post! 1

On 10/22/2023 at 4:30 PM, Mic said:

Small, trivial point but what's with the 'W' on the hats (see photo above)?  That's like a Beaver wearing a hat with 'O' on it, no?  It's not Washington but Washington State.  Same with Oregon State.  Don't be ashamed of wearing WSU or OSU on the hats.  If ya gotta abbreviate, make it WS or OS.  

Like I said, just a trivial point. 

How would I know?  Ask them, as it is the way they do it!

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

Lanning has his hands full with this guy next week. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dan knows the way.....

Dan knows the way_Screenshot from ABC Sports Video.jpg

• Applause 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

W - Wishing for a B12 invite?

• Mic drop 1

"I think in the second half it  (the WSU pass protection) started to get a little bit leaky, he did more of those scramble plays. We (Cam) were off target and timing was a little bit. Give credit to them. like I said, they roll in 18 guys up front, they keep attacking you. We were ok in some off-script plays, and did an average job of establishing the run when we did run the football. I think the bigger moments is they won some key four, and we had some opportunities late in the second half. Credit to them, but I like where we were offensively, had some explosive plays, but they kept us off balance up front in the second half.” 

It seems as though Oregon is wearing opposing teams down in the second half of games. 

I love the hockey style defensive line changes to keep players fresh and allow them to go 100% all game. It must be EXHAUSTING for the offensive linemen!  If I were an opposing OC, I would think twice about substituting players because it allows Oregon to make these substitutions. 

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2023 at 4:10 PM, Log Haulin said:

If the Oregon brass think they are going to get Lanning to do it different (4th down aggression), they should tread lightly. 

I don't think anyone wants Lanning to change his teams culture (which is what they'd do) by not going for it aggressively on 4th down. 

I think there is a far more reasonable alternative. Like... You got a turnover at the end of the half and just take the points! Especially if you're getting the ball back to start the 3rd. 

That's not changing the culture that's beingore reasonable with the situation. The turnover was created as a part of an aggressive culture by generating pressure... Getting the points means we don't walk away empty handed from a gift. 

I also think the other thing that goes into Lanning's future aggression needs to be a bigger focus on high percentage success plays. Run the ball when they haven't shown they can stop it... Don't put the ball in the air on an iffy passing route. 

Do some zone read with Nix... He can handle it especially when he gets into space. 

Let's not take dumb risks on aggressive plays. That's the next step in the Lanning evolution. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, David Marsh said:

I don't think anyone wants Lanning to change his teams culture (which is what they'd do) by not going for it aggressively on 4th down. 

I think there is a far more reasonable alternative

Tell you what...you sell everyone else on that please.  Because the smart, experienced winning coaches say, 

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/22/2023 at 7:59 PM, David Marsh said:

Let's not take dumb risks on aggressive plays. That's the next step in the Lanning evolution. 

Yea, thats what I said when I said he would "grow and adapt". I wasn't specific to one play on purpose.

Helps if your kicker isn't struggling to kick the ball for 3 weeks when looking at options against a play clock. 

In losses it's easy to point. But the aggression is the same, win or lose. I don't think he tempers his aggressiveness regardless of opponent.  

Maybe its a result of week 7 (my awareness) but I noticed a lot of coaches being aggressive on fourth down in the several games I watched in week 8. Seems to be a trend.

In the end it's about growth for coaches and players. Not putting the ball in the air on iffy pass routs is about player growth. Giving the QB mutiple options in that situation is OC growth. 

The thing that is hopeful is that growth has been seen at every level from last season to this and from game to game. Ducks look good, even in their one loss. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/23/2023 at 6:23 AM, Log Haulin said:

Maybe its a result of week 7 (my awareness) but I noticed a lot of coaches being aggressive on fourth down in the several games I watched in week 8. Seems to be a trend.

In the end it's about growth for coaches and players. Not putting the ball in the air on iffy pass routs is about player growth. Giving the QB mutiple options in that situation is OC growth.

Agree with Log Haulin in OC growth.  Do we need growth/expantion in Will Stein's play-calling?  Has it become too predictable, especially in first quarter and red zone production?

Oregon's first quarter points in 2023 ranks 6th, 10.5 points.  But, in the last three games 3.7 points.

"Oregon’s offense continues to rank in the top 10 in every meaningful statistic, except inside the red zone."

"Statistically speaking, the Ducks lead's the country in total offense and are second in scoring and top the Pac-12 in rushing, pass efficiency, third down and sacks allowed. Yet when they get inside the 20-yard line the Ducks drop to 51st (86.5%)."

"UO’s touchdown percentage in the red zone (72.97%) ranks 20th, but against five Power Five teams it’s 34th (65.38%)."

"Usually the top offenses in the country over the past several years typically also rank highly in red zone scoring. In 2022, Tennessee led the country in total offense and was third in red zone scoring. Ohio State was 12th in red zone scoring but 45th in touchdown percentage in 2021. LSU was 2nd in red zone scoring in 2019 and Oklahoma was 9th in 2018."

"Defensively, Oregon’s pass defense has gone from 5th nationally after five games to 56th following back-to-back games against the top two passing offenses in the country."

But on the positive note, if Khyree Jackson can come back from the off the injury list, pass defense will be elevated.  Having a healthy Jestin Jacobs in the line-up in LB position will only improve our defensive production overall.

Just things to ponder.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Ducks lead the country in total offense and are second in scoring, yet inside the 20-yard line they drop to 51st.
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Seems to me that our struggles inside the 20 is far to many (dumb) penalties by our offensive line and other miscues.

Seems to happen in most games. Offensive lineman down field or false start or holding or missing a field goal or going for it and failing on 4th down.

Take care of these problems and our red zone offense will put more points up. A lot more points.

On 10/22/2023 at 5:57 PM, OregonDucks said:

It seems as though Oregon is wearing opposing teams down in the second half of games.

... and that starts in the first half. A 20 minute break isn't enough for full recovery.