MrBrooks

Bo Nix: OC On-the-Job Training?

It occurred to me that Bo is basically ojt'ing ( on-the-job-training) as an offensive coordinator (senior journeyman level) and apparently doing an exceptional job.  It also occurred to me that I/we should get as much of Bo Nix while we still can because he is much more than a generational player.....he is probably a once in a lifetime player.  I question if we will ever see another quarterback with his level of cerebral or intellectual play. 

Sure, he's older and been around awhile but he is using his brain in so many ways that I have never heard about quarterbacks in the last century.  So, my money is on the Ducks reaching the apex and Bo getting the Heisman!!  Watch the curves and go-man-go!!

GO DUCKS!!

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 2

Agree, and I would not be surprised to see him back at Oregon in ten years as an OC?  I think Dan would hire him!

Bo Nix and Lanning_Screenshot from Pac12 Network Video.jpg

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was thinking about this yesterday. When Bo's playing days are over, My money would be on him coming back to Oregon or Auburn and coach QBs. Work his way up the ladder and find himself as an elite OC. 

The experiences he has had under Lanning are rare. I too, have never seen QB play at such a high level in the college game.

Lanning says Bo is the best QB in the nation. That Bo is special. I don't know that all the so called "experts" understand the depth of Lannings claim. I don't know that anyone outside of the team can understand or know compleatly.

Something dramatically changed in Bo with that Husky loss. I have a feeling that Bo Nix will not allow this team to fail again. Bo Nix came back for one reason, a National Championship. It really really really feels like that is exactly what he is going to do.

IMO, we are watching the greatest Duck QB in our 100+ year history. I have loved and savored every moment. 

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

Something dramatically changed in Bo with that Husky loss.

Amen, Duck-Brother. He now has that burning desire to win, to get to the Playoff and he has turned the team into that much more hungry than before.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

But only after 7 or so seasons in the NFL. As a starter? But the man if he doesn't start, Bo will be a terrific backup and learn even more in the NFL.

IMO, he has CFB HC written all over him. CFB experience galore and a guy who puts the team above himself.

I don't think that he will win the 2023 Heisman but I do think that he and Dan Lanning will be in NYC for the ceremony. Which will only goose the Ducks recruiting and portal-picking numbers.

In the meantime, Beat Cal!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I’m not one to get too far out over my skis, but I can’t disagree with any of this.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:41 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Amen, Duck-Brother. He now has that burning desire to win, to get to the Playoff and he has turned the team into that much more hungry than before.

Think about it Charles, what Bo did at Rice-Eccles is absolutely refuse to allow Utes elite defense to dictate terms at any level. He refused to allow Utes to believe they had any chance from start to finish.

I would have loved to have been a staffer and watch the prep leading up to the Utes game. This team, lead by Lanning and Nix jumped fully in.

A lot of guys played a role, players and coaches alike. But this team is lead by two men, everyone else is fully bought it. And that is a dangerous team that is emerging.

Herbstreit knows!

If I am a little over the top it's because this thread got me juiced for some reason. No apologies!

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Hauler of Logs - I am with you all the way Dude!  This is like excitement within excitement - better than an epiphany.  We are in such uncharted territory; few people can recognize it.  I got juiced just realizing this moment in time (thru the end of this season) may never come again.   That's not a bad thing,  just that witnessing something historical in nature is incredibly awesome.  At least to some of us......

((the "may never come again" references not having a repeat QB of Bo Nix stature))

• Salute 1
  • Mic drop 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Dan Lanning believes Bo Nix is the best quarterback in college football. On Monday, he...

• Applause 1

On 11/1/2023 at 4:19 PM, MrBrooks said:

Hauler of Logs - I am with you all the way Dude!  This is like excitement within excitement - better than an epiphany.  We are in such uncharted territory; few people can recognize it.  I got juiced just realizing this moment in time (thru the end of this season) may never come again.   That's not a bad thing,  just that witnessing something historical in nature is incredibly awesome.  At least to some of us......

((the "may never come again" references not having a repeat QB of Bo Nix stature))

image.png.b753184c215eef1c38cf4c5e33da79fd.png

• Applause 1

The odds of us getting this quality of QB in the portal were incredibly low. Luck is a good thing to have.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

Something dramatically changed in Bo with that Husky loss.

I think Bo didn't see a wide open receiver on that ill fated fourth down play. I think he feels responsible for the outcome and is now determined to lead this team across the finish line.

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/1/2023 at 3:32 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Agree, and I would not be surprised to see him back at Oregon in ten years as an OC?  I think Dan would hire him!

This was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the thread title.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something I accidently left out of original post.   Just how lucky we as fans are to have Lanning and Nix as Ducks individually or collectively.  And they are lucky to have each other at this particular moment in time.  I believe that they are two people that epitomize "connection" and feed off each other.   Just think about Lanning, as such a young HC, having the confidence to give Nix all the responsibility he has.  Can you imagine Bo's life with Woody Hayes as HC?  Yikes!

I have been a college football fan for 64 years +/- and a Duck fan since the Georgia game in September, 1977.  I have never been this interested or excited about college football as I am right now in the Ducks.  I am sensing the coaches and players are elevating their game now from week to week.  

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, being out over my skies, or just plain being a homer, this is beyond a reasonable doubt a great time to be a DUCK!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 5

Don't forget Nix was benched at Auburn. His replacement is now at Texas State. Auburn is 4-4 and a hot mess.

I think what this shows is Lanning knows how to pick talent and develop talent.

This is the kind of progress many players will be paying attention to. You might be struggling at your dream school, but if Lanning wants you, has recruited you before, you might want to transfer over, and see how good you can become.

You just might get into the running for the Heisman if you apply yourself at Oregon, under Lanning and his coaching staff. 

Nix is an amazing talent who like many players, struggled at this last school, and will be looking at what school can take dormant talent, and make it come alive. The Nix story will have legs for years to come!

• Great post! 3
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

What impressed me most with Bo’s performance against Utah was his mastery of the first drive of the game.

(After the delay of game that shall not be named on the first play from scrimmage…)

In order to prevent Utah from making adjustments based on the formation, the Ducks huddled until the last second.

It looked chaotic, and I kept expecting a false start on every play, but they were perfect.

That DOES NOT HAPPEN without Bo at QB. Mariota couldn’t do that. Herbie could do that now but not in college with Mari-no-O.

And major kudos to both the game planning and the execution.

The fact they were able to perform a brand new look so effectively in such a short time frame is why experts like Herbstreet and Meyer are singing OBD’s praises.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 2

On 11/1/2023 at 5:38 PM, Haywarduck said:

Don't forget Nix was benched at Auburn.

💯

There were many on this forum who reminded us of this frequently.

Personally, the only thing I knew about Nix before he got here was that as a true freshman in his first game/start of the season, he orchestrated a come-from-behind-last-minute-touchdown series to beat us and ruin our CFP hopes with 11 games to go.

(I’m a homer who knows nothing about other teams until we play them and then promptly ignores them.)

I definitely didn’t like him, but I definitely respected him.

And as an athlete who played for crappy coaches, I am fully aware that bad coaches ABSOLUTELY can make their players worse.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

In Bo's first game at Oregon versus Georgia....he threw a pick that stopped a great drive and was demoralizing. Is this the same Ol' Nix?

But Lanning on sideline was shouting at Nix, "you are my quarterback."

giphy.gif

• Haha 1
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, MrBrooks said:

Something I accidently left out of original post.   Just how lucky we as fans are to have Lanning and Nix as Ducks individually or collectively.  And they are lucky to have each other at this particular moment in time.  I believe that they are two people that epitomize "connection" and feed off each other.   Just think about Lanning, as such a young HC, having the confidence to give Nix all the responsibility he has.  Can you imagine Bo's life with Woody Hayes as HC?  Yikes!

I have been a college football fan for 64 years +/- and a Duck fan since the Georgia game in September, 1977.  I have never been this interested or excited about college football as I am right now in the Ducks.  I am sensing the coaches and players are elevating their game now from week to week.  

At the risk of getting ahead of myself, being out over my skies, or just plain being a homer, this is beyond a reasonable doubt a great time to be a DUCK!

3 yards and a cloud of Bo. Only 3 things happen when you pass and 2 of them are bad.

But, the man could throw a punch. Put Clemson on the map well before Dabo did it.

On 11/1/2023 at 8:50 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

What impressed me most with Bo’s performance against Utah was his mastery of the first drive of the game.

(After the delay of game that shall not be named on the first play from scrimmage…)

In order to prevent Utah from making adjustments based on the formation, the Ducks huddled until the last second.

It looked chaotic, and I kept expecting a false start on every play, but they were perfect.

That DOES NOT HAPPEN without Bo at QB. Mariota couldn’t do that. Herbie could do that now but not in college with Mari-no-O.

And major kudos to both the game planning and the execution.

The fact they were able to perform a brand new look so effectively in such a short time frame is why experts like Herbstreet and Meyer are singing OBD’s praises.

Just Do It! Good to great. Let's hope that Bo goes 5-0 and perhaps, 7-0.

Lots of ball left to be played and not against Dregs.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 8:30 PM, MrBrooks said:

I'd rather be lucky and good. Not only did DL recruit them, he did a masterful job of picking the portal.

The SEC guys DL has brought to Eugene have balled out.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2

O.C. in 10 years?  Can we sign him to that promise now?  While Uncle Phil's still around to guarantee his salary?  Actually, as much as I'd love to see that happen I think he might have a long career in the NFL, as a QB and then as a QB coach then as an offensive coach.  And then who knows?  

I certainly wish him all the best in the years to come and I thank the lord for him deciding to come be a Duck and then to bring his little brother along as well.  

It was about time for something good to happen to Oregon after the 'Willie One-and-Done' and the 'Mari-no-O' back-to-back fiascos.  He and Dan Lanning both arrived just when things were beginning to look bleak. 

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

As if on cue, Joel Klatt releases a segment on his Breaking The Huddle series analyzing just how good Bo is.

• Go Ducks! 1

On 11/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

In Bo's first game at Oregon versus Georgia....he threw a pick that stopped a great drive and was demoralizing. Is this the same Ol' Nix?

giphy.gif

I thought it was my favorite Lanning quote, 'so what now what!'

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:53 AM, Haywarduck said:

I thought it was my favorite Lanning quote, 'so what now what!'

Could insert that quote 3 weeks ago. Fuxin' to find out for sure.

On 11/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, Log Haulin said:

would have loved to have been a staffer and watch the prep leading up to the Utes game. This team, lead by Lanning and Nix jumped fully in.

I posted this in another thread but I highly recommend watching the Ducks vs. Them video from this past week.  It gives you a bit of an inside look at the prep leading up to the Utah game.  You could tell how well prepared the players were for Utah.  They knew how to attack them.

One of my favorite moments in the video was when the coaches on the sidelines, during the game, were trying to figure out what play Bo Nix auditabled to then they realized it was a good check. Pretty funny that the coaches are scrambling to try to figure out what was called.  That trust is rare.

Bo Nix has earned a PhD as a quarterback.  I can't remember a college QB playing at such a high level with an understanding of how to attack an opposing defense and where to go with the ball.  Heck, most NFL QBs never get to this level. 

Enjoy it while you can Duck fans!  We are witnessing something special...

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/1/2023 at 6:17 PM, Charles Fischer said:

giphy.gif

In the below segment, Bo’s parents said how much it meant that Dan Lanning met Bo on the field every time he came off to offer encouragement (and not to chew him out) in that Georgia game. Bo’s dad, who knows a thing or two about football, choked up and said that that is the moment that he knew Bo would be just fine at Oregon.

(I believe that it’s around the 9:15 mark but the entire segment is worth watching). 

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 8:46 PM, OregonDucks said:

In the below segment, Bo’s parents said how much it meant that Dan Lanning met Bo on the field every time he came off to offer encouragement (and not to chew him out) in that Georgia game. Bo’s dad, who knows a thing or two about football, choked up and said that that is the moment that he knew Bo would be just fine at Oregon.

(I believe that it’s around the 9:15 mark but the entire segment is worth watching). 

Understandable! Lanning knew a thing or two about that UGA team. Kirby did the same for Dan aftwr the game 

And Matt's hoping next week's Power Player of the Week will be......drum roll, please.......Caleb Williams!  (Trojan to Trojan)  LOL 

Penix might have something to say about that, tho.  And then Bo on the 11th....