Charles Fischer

Holy Crap. Stein Blames Himself for Washington Loss

A ton of us did not like the final 4th and 3 play-call at Washington, and I was stunned to hear the following in the video below. Joel Klatt spoke to Will Stein about the play, and below is what was said...

Klatt: "Would you rather have punted? Or called a different play?"

Stein: "No, no, no. It was all play-call, it was all on me."

"We beat Washington if I'm more prepared for that moment, and the rest assured...I'm more prepared for that moment moving forward."

"I can't wait to get it again."

My Duck-Buddies, I love the upside of this young coach; he has one of the best offenses in America, and is looking to grow as Lanning wants for his players.  What a stand-up guy...

BTW...Klatt and Cowherd slobber all over us..."they're a top 3 team."

• Wow 1
  • Applause 7
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Also any of those goal line plays at the end of the 1st half... Jumbo formation!!! 

It was a learning curve game for this staff for sure. And as long as they learn their lessons we'll be good. 

It did feel like they were getting cute with the pass game when they should have leaned on a run game that was pretty effective, especially if they got a bit creative with the looks. 

The Utah game felt like an incredibly well designed game plan and a very dialed in staff. If they keep bringing that level of prep the Ducks will win out. That Utah game was absolutely solid offensively and defensively. 

I'll also just throw it out there that the Oregon defense didn't feel as dialed in against Washington as they should have. They didn't have that Utah focus if you will.

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

If there is one thing bad golfers know it's never to blame yourself. Kudos to Will for being upfront.

Onward and upward. Sad to remember but on the subsequent 'tying' FG try, Ferguson was wide open down the middle.

Never look back. The whole enchilada is in the windshield.

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

That's a man taking the blame on himself instead of letting the blame fall on the players.  This is just about the exact opposite from what one would hear from "coaches" like Lane Kiffen or Rick Neuheisel.  They always seemed to find others to point fingers at.  Stein is a definite cut above of many coaches we've seen before.  

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/1/2023 at 6:59 PM, David Marsh said:

The Utah game felt like an incredibly well designed game plan and a very dialed in staff. If they keep bringing that level of prep the Ducks will win out. That Utah game was absolutely solid offensively and defensively. 

I'll also just throw it out there that the Oregon defense didn't feel as dialed in against Washington as they should have. They didn't have that Utah focus if you will.

The Ducks vs. Them video (link below) shows how impressive the coaches prep of the players was for the Utah game.

I also love to hear the commentary between the coaches during the game, especially with the coaches trying to figure out what play Bo Nix auditabled to.

I love that Stein thinks like the QB he used to be, "what could I have done to make that play succeed?" Followed by "I won't make that mistake again". Accountability and the 1% better creed seems to apply across the board at Oregon.

Anyone in a job with risk and high stakes understands the importance of those two concepts. If you are going to be elite you realize that it is not just a destination but a process. And you have to constantly remind yourself that you aren't there yet. That humility goes a long way towards achieving the goal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Urban Meyer circles Oregon as the team that could make the most noise in November

In the eyes of the College Football Playoff committee, Oregon is currently the best one-loss team in the country. Dan Lanning‘s team has only lost to Washington on the road and has been beating up on every other team on their schedule. Debuting in the ranking at No. 6, only undefeated are ahead of the Ducks.

At least to Urban Meyer, Oregon is way better than the No. 6 team in the country. Of course, the loss is going to knock them down in the rankings. It’s how the College Football Playoff works, especially this early in the cycle.

However, when looking at the tape, you would have a tough time convincing Meyer that anybody is playing better at the moment other than Oregon.

“Oregon might be the best team in the country,” Meyer said via Urban’s Take with On3’s Tim May. “Just on videotape. Offense, defense, kicking. That’s the way they play. They play really hard, they’re really well coached but they lost. So, I’m a head coach, going to say ‘Just don’t lose because we have a great team. But you did lose.’

“On video tape, Oregon might be the best team in the country.”

On 11/2/2023 at 12:26 AM, EastBayDuckDad said:

That humility goes a long way towards achieving the goal.

And if I am the player who gets "corrected" when I make a mistake, and now the coach owns his mistake?

Makes me love the guy, and want to bust my rear for him.

Stein and Offense_Screenshot from ESPN Video.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Some are afraid of taking responsibility, others know it can empower all of those around you to be ok with failure and grow from it.

One of the killers of innovation is denial of failure and the repeated mistakes often seen with that mentality. Failure is feedback and data to improve upon.

If everyone looks at how they can improve in both failure and success you then have a potent formula.

If an organization just revels in success and blames others for failure you can have success, but seldom achieve the greatness which can only come from incredible growth.

What Lanning, Stein and others in the organization are doing is indicating the core values of this dynamic program and that is pretty cool to see.

• Thumbs Up 1

And here I thought loses were only because players just didn't physicality enough.

• Haha 1
  • Mic drop 1

J.D. Pickell talks about the playoff committee's selection at the beginning, but around the 39:29 mark he goes into details about our Ducks.  Worth listening to.  Another person high on the Ducks.

CDN.JWPLAYER.COM

Today on The Hard Count, J.D. gives his thoughts on the first playoff rankings and defines the path/edge for the teams finding themselves in the top 6! The situation at Michigan keeps getting...

• Thumbs Up 1

It's important for leaders to take pride in their accomplishments, but not have pride in their self worth. 

That second kind of pride is the biggest obstacle to success of a team. It requires blinding yourself to you own deficiencies, which keeps you from improving, or correcting course.

On 11/2/2023 at 11:31 AM, Solar said:

It's important for leaders to take pride in their accomplishments, but not have pride in their self worth. 

That second kind of pride is the biggest obstacle to success of a team. It requires blinding yourself to you own deficiencies, which keeps you from improving, or correcting course.

Wonderful wisdom, thank you.

What Will Stein did?  Not something Cristobal did when 'splaining our offense....

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck