FishDuck Article

Oregon is Putting on a Master Class in Offensive Game Prep

For three straight games the Oregon Ducks have absolutely throttled their opponents with well-designed offensive game plans. They may have started off slow against the Washington State Cougars and given up garbage time points, but the game plan left no doubt who was in control of that game. The Ducks defeated the Cougars 38-24. Then came the best game of ...

FISHDUCK.COM

For three straight games the Oregon Ducks have absolutely throttled their opponents with well-designed offensive game plans. They may have...

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

USC has a different vibe now w/o Grinch. Not sure about this game. Ducks have played well up to this point. I just don't have a great feel for this game. This could be USC superbowl in their mind. Thats always tricky.

Offense has been a machine since the Husky game. Hopefully that trend continues.

• Thumbs Up 1

Having the dawgs mention tendencies caused some concern after our loss. Seeing Stein shred through these recent teams with game plans give one hope and should make the dawgs SIT! and realize there won't be a treat next time.

This team and OC are building momentum and executing more precisely as the season progresses. Few teams, other than a few at the top are doing what Oregon is doing.

While I agree the refs had an impact, and the ball bounced the wrong way once, but Oregon didn't miss a beat. One thing no one mentioned was the one bounce dribble of the ball Bucky did during the Cal game.

During the game Bucky fumbled, actually looked like he was showing off his football dribbling skills, and caught it on the bounce while not missing a stride. 

Maybe we are seeing both the team hitting it's stride, and that stride isn't being effected by anything being thrown at them. The season may be truly turning into a magical experience. 

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

I whole lot of questions will be answered at Autzen this Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks for the article David and it certainly appears the Ducks offense is really hitting its stride. 

I agree that since the loss to the puppies, Stein has mixed things up or Bo is audibling out of those plays. In rewatching the last 3 games I see Bo calling alot of audibles.

Special young man and superb college QB.....DL and Stein are fortuneate to have an OC on the field.

However, as we all know many factors also go into the success of any offense...

Starts with another great Oregon line that can run and pass block at a high level.  After 9 games they still are making the same mistakes as in the TT game.  (Clean it up big boys)

The line opens those holes for some twitchy, elusive and powerful running backs. Not many TFL's....

Those big boys give Bo the time needed for a bevy of receivers and TE's to get open. So many weapons for Bo to choose from.

"It's starting to come together Pepper, starting to come together."

I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout out to the ever improving Duck D. Forcing 3 and outs or limiting time consuming drives just gets the O more opportunities.

However, mobile QB's, like Penix and Ward moved the ball and put points on the board. Now the best QB is coming to town......

Williams is mobile, elusive and a fierce competitor. He has NFL talented receivers who get open. This will be another great challenge for our Duck defense....

The offense can make this easy by scoring points on every drive. Consume time and let Williams enjoy the game from the sidelines.

Go Ducks....beat the trojans. You may not get to the title game without a victory this weekend....

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2023 at 5:00 AM, Log Haulin said:

USC has a different vibe now w/o Grinch. Not sure about this game. Ducks have played well up to this point. I just don't have a great feel for this game. This could be USC superbowl in their mind. Thats always tricky.

There's two ways a team can respond to late-season coaching changes: demoralization & letdown, or renewed enthusiasm and determination to prove their own worth to the new or interim defensive coordinator.  It remains to be seen how the Trojans respond.  Can Riley and the new or interim D.C. inspire their team or do things go south in the locker room?

Out of selfishness I'm hoping things go south for SC and Oregon continues to mine the state for its best talent.  I think Oregon currently has 30 players on roster from California, the most of any state including Oregon (22).

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thanks David, for pointing something nobody else has touched on--the offensive game plans.  The team of analysts Lanning as assembled in addition to the offensive staff is really putting together impressive game plans--as well as Bo making great adjustments.

But I can tell you that it is happening on the defensive side of the ball as well.  In my preparation for the Friday night Film Session for the OBD Meet-and-Greet, (see top pinned post--come!) it is evident that Oregon has scouted and prepared for opposing teams' major plays. A ton of great defense stops occurred because Duck defenders recognized the play and knew what to do immediately.  It was big on a ton of third down plays...

Gotta love this coaching staff!

Lanning and LupoiWP at WSU_Fox Sports Video.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I was about to make this article broader and talk about the defense as well... But that would have at least doubled the length and for topic focus just looking at the offense was ideal. 

But the defensive side has done a fantastic job limiting opponents as well. 

I really felt Oregon didn't do a terribly good job planning against Washington. On the offensive side they got too cute with some critical play calls. 

Defensively didn't feel well planed against Washington either. The pressures didn't get there consistently and the backend couldn't seem to lock down any options. 

It might have been a bigger problem of execution against Washington but I feel they just didn't game plan that one as well as the games we've seen after that loss. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

On 11/7/2023 at 8:10 AM, David Marsh said:

I was about to make this article broader and talk about the defense as well... But that would have at least doubled the length and for topic focus just looking at the offense was ideal. 

But the defensive side has done a fantastic job limiting opponents as well. 

I really felt Oregon didn't do a terribly good job planning against Washington. On the offensive side they got too cute with some critical play calls. 

Defensively didn't feel well planed against Washington either. The pressures didn't get there consistently and the backend couldn't seem to lock down any options. 

It might have been a bigger problem of execution against Washington but I feel they just didn't game plan that one as well as the games we've seen after that loss. 

Should Oregon get a second crack at UW I'm willing to bet they do certain things a lot different.  Of course, so will UW.  And then we'll get a  serious look at which coaching staff & analysts are better because I think the two teams are fairly equal in talent level, maybe a slight edge for Oregon.  Oh, that it could come to pass....

Thank you, David.

Although it has not always resulted in fast starts, I think the pre-game lifting idea is a good one. Gets the players better ready to play ball and in the copycat world of CFB I expect many more teams will adopt this strategy.

USC's new co-DCs will not fix the SC D in one week. SC has one chance, to win in a shootout. But unlike last week vs. UW in LA, SC will be playing a far better defense as well as playing at Autzen.

I think the game plan at UW was the worst of the season. I was particularly miffed to see Ferguson wide open down the middle for a reception to set up the tying FG try. Far too many runs against 8 in the box and far too many short side-of-the-field rollouts.

It will be fascinating to watch the Utah at UW game on Saturday. Will UW struggle in this game?

Here is what I found to be an interesting tidbit from Saturday. With its 3rd win in a row as a not-ranked team vs. ranked opponents Arizona joined 2006 Georgia as the only two teams to accomplish this feat. 

Thanks again, David for another great take.

GO DUCKS! BEAT SC!

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 8:30 AM, Mic said:

Should Oregon get a second crack at UW I'm willing to bet they do certain things a lot different.  Of course, so will UW.  And then we'll get a  serious look at which coaching staff & analysts are better because I think the two teams are fairly equal in talent level, maybe a slight edge for Oregon.  Oh, that it could come to pass....

Starters are pretty even I'd say... But the depth is completely different. Washington has been very lucky that their lack of depth hasn't hurt them just yet. 

Something I came across recently was also looking at how Oregon is starting to plan around match ups and personal more than just the scheme. 

I feel this Oregon staff is growing at the fastest rate in the country. They're young, smart and hungry and it's showing. 

Washington has a good staff but I think Oregon has a far higher ceiling. The question is can they surpass Washington's coaches and scheme fast enough this year? 

Based on what I've seen following that Washington loss... I think that's more than possible. 

Again in every stat but the scoreboard, yes the only stat that actually matters, Oregon beat Washington. So what really happened was Washington played out of their minds against Oregon and Oregon beat themselves a bit as well. 

Two of those fourth down plays come to mind. The first being the series at the end of the half where the Ducks decided to not go jumbo for a down or two and power the ball in ... And then the four down play that had Nix roll out and in that roll out eliminated half the field as a threat. 

The other fourth down play was the one that if converted would have iced the game.... Probably could have considered the jumbo run package for at least 3rd down on this one too, only 3 yards to gain.

But on 4th Nix rolls out to his left this time and if you look at the play developing on the far side he really had a few open targets. But due to the roll out design hitting those passes is difficult and a bit risky. 

Change those play calls and Oregon could have, should have, won that game. 

Also... After the Washington game we have seen a significant uptick in Nix running the ball. 

Before the Washington game Nix had 1 rushing touchdown.... Nix had 2 against Cal alone... Sure both were QB sneaks but still. Changes in the game plan. 

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

I’d like to see us run the ball all day long and keep the ball away from Caleb, this could prove to be a game that goes either way and keeping the ball is a priority 

On 11/7/2023 at 9:43 AM, David Marsh said:

Again in every stat but the scoreboard, yes the only stat that actually matters, Oregon beat Washington. So what really happened was Washington played out of their minds against Oregon and Oregon beat themselves a bit as well. 

A week or two back I posted about the three keys to beating UW: all revolving around the final score, period.  It was meant to be both funny and serious.  That game turned out to be just what I was referring to.  One team can win on the stat sheet and still lose the game, hence the "key" to winning being score more points and give up less.

Of course every team wants to win in all the important categories: total yards, fewest turnovers, time of possession, etc., etc.  But the only stat, in the end, that matters is the final score.  

If Oregon is blessed with a rematch in Las Vegas, all the stats will be important because it's how to get to the final score. But one has to get there.  I think Oregon will, if they get the chance.   And I will say your analysis above is pretty spot on.

Edited by Mic
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 12:49 PM, Tonyln69 said:

I’d like to see us run the ball all day long and keep the ball away from Caleb, this could prove to be a game that goes either way and keeping the ball is a priority 

What UW did. But UW scored too fast on the ground.🤣 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 9:49 AM, Tonyln69 said:

Oregon's MO is scoring pretty quickly.  Lanning's team has learned extremely well how to slow things down and use the play clock but that's to give Bo time to read & adjust.  What Oregon doesn't seem to do much is take 7-8 minutes to drive and score.  That's because they usually score in 7 or 8 plays or not at all.  But I do think the run game will be very important because it seems to be the Trojan's Achilles heel.

And I do emphatically agree with you - try to keep the ball out of Caleb's hands as much as possible, because I also believe if Oregon has an Achilles heel, it's maybe the deep ball.  Both Williams & Penix excel at that.  I guess we'll see in a few days.

Edited by Mic

I think what we're seeing is something many of us surmised before the season began.  In the face of having a brand new OC, new OL coach, and replacing 4 out of 5 OL starters it was going to take until mid-season before everything truly settled in and everyone was fully comfortable in the offense.  We're in the middle of that transformation right now and it's a beautiful thing to see.  Thanks for the article David!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Great article.

The coaches are putting on a master class in getting the team prepared every single week. They are also really good at making in-game adjustments to counter what the other team is doing.  

Then there is the X factor, Bo Nix, who is playing at the highest level you can as a collegiate and is extremely motivated to win a championship. You can tell from the videos that he’s putting a ton of effort into watching film and game prep (I’d love to see his fall class schedule). Consequently, he quickly recognizes defensive formations and knows how to attack it, checking into a more favorable play, if necessary, and he has the talent to execute (just look at his completion percentage and TD/interception ratio!!!).  

We are witnessing a special team. I’m hoping that the Ducks can keep it up and earn a spot in the college football playoff.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/7/2023 at 11:32 AM, OregonDucks said:

Great article.
You can tell from the videos that he’s putting a ton of effort into watching film and game prep (I’d love to see his fall class schedule). 

Bo's a 5th year Senior.  His class schedule might be pretty light.  ??

I’d love to see the coaches put in a play or two for Gary Bryant Jr. (e.g., WR double reverse) this week, just to stick it to the Trojans. 🤣

I also hope that there are some creative signs for the Trojans and TV audience. 

WWW.DALLASCOWBOYS.COM

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Ben DiNucci leads way for wide receiver CeeDee Lamb on double reverse.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/7/2023 at 11:41 AM, Mic said:

Bo's a 5th year Senior.  His class schedule might be pretty light.  ??

That’s why I’d love to see it…

He’s probably living in the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex!!!

Edited by OregonDucks
  • Haha 1

Other thing that just came to mind... It's less on the offensive side of things and more defensive. 

But Oregon has a coach on staff who beat Riley's USC team last year in Chris Hampton. He was the DC at Tulane last year. 

I'm sure he has a few ideas for this USC offense. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

On 11/7/2023 at 11:42 AM, OregonDucks said:

That’s why I’d love to see it…

He’s probably living in the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex!!!

Bo has a young wife to go home to.

So... unless the Hatfield-Dowlin Complex has a honeymoon suite, I sincerely doubt it.