Charles Fischer

Canzano on Lanning to TAMU: 'Have You Met the Guy?'

This is the relevant stuff from Canzano's daily column, and John has interviewed Lanning and his parents at length in the past.

"Dan Lanning to Texas A&M?!? Have you met the guy? Know anything about his family? Talked with his parents?"

"Lanning is not leaving Oregon anytime soon. Given the heavy emphasis on the transfer portal and NIL, he’s sitting in one of the best jobs in college football. Also, he has the benefit of knowing how undesirable things got for Chip Kelly, Willie Taggart and Mario Cristobal almost immediately after they left Eugene.

Taggart and Cristobal went home to Florida. Kelly left for the NFL. They had their reasons, but I’m struggling to see logic in Lanning leaving for any job that isn’t a no-brainer. And Texas A&M isn’t one.

Keep in mind, Lanning grew up in the suburbs of Kansas City on 6.54 acres. His alma mater is William Jewell College, a Division II football school. UO doesn’t have to worry about his former college luring him away. But more importantly, he and his wife, Sauphia have moved seven times in the last 13 years. 

I suspect Lanning will address the Texas A&M rumors on Monday night in his weekly news conference. I’d be surprised if he didn’t put the uncertainty to rest. In July, Oregon extended his contract and gave the coach a sizable bump in pay and additional job security. Lanning told me at the time that one of the family priorities was to see their three boys grow up and graduate from the same high school.

I’d bet we get see that in Eugene."

Oregon's Dan Lanning has no regrets over Colorado jab, says wasn't aimed at  current team or Deion Sanders

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

I'm actually shocked someone(I don't recall recently anyway) hasn't tried to lure Altman away.  I'm sure all of us has heard the story about not wanting to uproot his family again.

I say this to say, I see DL being very similar to Mark Few (or Dana) in that he is (or will be) very content with northwest living for a long time no matter who tries to lure him away.

I admire Canzano's crack reporting saying he grew up on 6.54 acres outside of KC!!

• Like 1

"The grass isn't always greener"

I'm taking my Duck glasses off.

1) Where does my family want to be? Thats a huge draw. DL needs/already has answered that question

2) Get the respect deserved if my final destination is the NFL. Do I need to go to a top school to do that to Segway to the NFL? Is Oregon filling that need?

3) can I make more money moving to a different school? 

4) do I have the support from the alumni as well as the school to make the decisions needed?

Oregon has more than enough money, environment, alumni support, and prestige to check all these boxes. A(T)M is a dumpster fire. Top tier coach with top tier players. Just can't seem to win. Then the alumni get rid of you 2 years later.

Oregon will give DL the time needed to put it all together. He's moving at warp speed.

Nah, he isn't going anywhere else as it wont help anything that is important to him.

Does Lanning use this as an opportunity to increase his salary? How hard does he push Oregon without crossing the line? Does A&M come at Dan around 12 mil or more to put pressure on him?

Is Lanning worth top 3 pay? He really hasn't won anything yet. He hasn't even beaten a rival (0-3). He is however 19-4 as a HC. Thats a pretty phenomenal record out of the blocks. Also, Dans cealing seems to be super high. 

So do you pay Dan more money on a possibility he will get Oregon over the hump? I have a hard time thinking you pay him on a "what may be".

Lanning just got a huge bump in pay and an extension. This is a very tricky situation and both sides need to be careful. If Dan demands a match he could lose support of boosters and the fan base.

I have way more questions than answers. And most of my answers are more just thinking out load than hard opinions/beliefs. 

On 11/13/2023 at 3:13 PM, candyduck said:

I'm actually shocked someone(I don't recall recently anyway) hasn't tried to lure Altman away.  I'm sure all of us has heard the story about not wanting to uproot his family again.

I say this to say, I see DL being very similar to Mark Few (or Dana) in that he is (or will be) very content with northwest living for a long time no matter who tries to lure him away.

I admire Canzano's crack reporting saying he grew up on 6.54 acres outside of KC!!

I just don't think Altman wants to do another move, he's done that enough times, he has a pretty secure gig, he's respected by everyone in basketball, he probably doesn't have that many years left considering how long he's been at it.  

I think most of the big programs are looking for a younger coach that could be there for 10+ years.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

Thanks Charles for posting.   Was not sure about the rules on posting stuff from behind pay walls.

I have heard Dan will shut it down tonight at this presser.🤞

On 11/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, spartan2785 said:

I just don't think Altman wants to do another move, he's done that enough times, he has a pretty secure gig, he's respected by everyone in basketball, he probably doesn't have that many years left considering how long he's been at it.  

I think most of the big programs are looking for a younger coach that could be there for 10+ years.

Agree but I don't think he was pursued much through (if at all) throughout his Oregon career.  Maybe he let it be known he was off limits years ago?

I think UO has everything that DL wants.  I doubt that money is an issue but maybe I'm just naive.

The big question is:  does he REALLY like Eugene and want to raise his family there?  He says he does and I have no reason to doubt him.  However, more importantly, does his wife really want to stay and raise the family there?  

Edited by Cacker Guy
  • Applause 1

I'm of like mind with Canzano on this one. DL has spoken repeatedly about the needs of his family taking a bigger priority.  I can't see him uprooting them again, especially since his kids have reached their formative years where environmental stability is king.

Plus, I imagine DL is smart enough to understand that accepting any kind of ridiculous offer from aTm (if any came you can bet it would be ridiculous) it would come with the immense pressure of needing to win a national championship immediately.  Even Saban or Kirby wouldn't be able to accomplish that in the 1st year of a new program.  

I'm really rooting and hoping for DL to stay in Eugene but the fact of the matter is we don't know what aTm may be negotiating with him as well as what kind of discussions DL is having with his family. I'm sure too that the Oregon AD and Uncle Phil are working on their end to convince DL to stay at the U of O.

Unfortunately some things are beyond our control and if the worst happens, I'm sure there are other capable candidates out there that can fill in the void should DL be offered and accepts the HC job at aTm. I sure as heck hope he stays with OBD.

Edited by OceaniaDuck

Texas A&M is in a bit of a conundrum. They have a reputation as a big spender with little to no patience. A big name coach is going to want big money and he’s going to want it guaranteed. The reason being is if the Aggies pull the plug on him due to their lack of patience then he is going to want to be compensated. 

However, A&M might not want to make the same mistake they made with Jimbo. So, it might be hard for them to pry a guy away from a job who already has a good contract and job security. 

A&M fans/boosters are known to be demanding and have very high expectations.  They are always in immediately, now mode.   They won't be patient.  

They fail to see that program needs a complete overhaul culturally.  They thought Jimbo could do that and he unfortunately failed.  The coach there basically reports to a handful of  boosters and the AD is merely a figure head.

Here's the other thing about stability that any coach taking that TAMU job should think about. 

They just fired Jumbo and are going to pay him his full contract of nearly 80 mil. It doesn't matter what they pay you if they don't think you're getting the job done you're gone. 

Granted... Because of Jimbo's contract I think they held onto him a season or two longer than they probably wanted. I don't think they are going to make that mistake in their next contract. 

If you go to TAMU there is a good chance you're leaving but not on your terms. 

“Zero chance I would be coaching anywhere else. I’m taken care of very well.”

DL Press Conference 

There you have it!

Edited by Chas Man
  • Thumbs Up 2

$80 million just to send you packin'.

For some reason, I don't think A&M was overly impressed with ol Jimbo.

$80 million just to dump a college football coach. That's pretty incredible. 

I’ve been telling friends this.  He’s in a great spot and has the resources he needs to be successful.  

It’s interesting how many articles I read see Eugene as a place that coaches and their families would want to get away from.  I don’t live there anymore but I just don’t get that.  It’s a great place to raise a family and a lot better than many, even most, college towns.  

I cannot imagine a scenario where he goes to A&M.  

On 11/13/2023 at 8:00 PM, TexasDuck said:

I’ve been telling friends this.  He’s in a great spot and has the resources he needs to be successful.  

It’s interesting how many articles I read see Eugene as a place that coaches and their families would want to get away from.  I don’t live there anymore but I just don’t get that.  It’s a great place to raise a family and a lot better than many, even most, college towns.  

I cannot imagine a scenario where he goes to A&M.  

I get it, there is definitely a culture shock to some who come from other places, whether it's weather, politics, demographics, it's very different compared to Texas, Florida, or even a place like Michigan.  

Just like I could never live in a place like Tuscaloosa or College Station, I'm sure there are those that could never live in a place like Eugene, Corvallis, or Seattle.

It's nice to know there are some people in this world who think a $7,000,000 income is good. That's not to say that DL would never accept/ask for more money, but he says that's not his top priority, his family is, and I believe him.

• Let’s hope! 1

I've contended for years that there is such a thing as "enough" for some people... And been told I'm delusional, at best (Other, shall we say, less complimentary terms have been used on several occasions.).

I believe Dan Lanning 'gets it' in a way many people don't understand.

He wants to raise a great family, and provide for them a great environment to thrive.

That seems to be his primary objective. 

Too many people fail to realize that finding an environment that facilitates that goal, while allowing the opportunity to enjoy the benefits of a job like he currently occupies, is superior to being in the position of potentially seeing your dream uprooted, along with the inherent stress that places on the family.

Keep up the good work Coach! I'm rooting for you to have as long a run at Oregon as you and your beautiful family wish to enjoy!

Edited by woundedknees
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, if his youngest son is age 10, then that means another seven years?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 11/13/2023 at 6:00 PM, David Marsh said:

Here's the other thing about stability that any coach taking that TAMU job should think about. 

They just fired Jumbo and are going to pay him his full contract of nearly 80 mil. It doesn't matter what they pay you if they don't think you're getting the job done you're gone. 

Granted... Because of Jimbo's contract I think they held onto him a season or two longer than they probably wanted. I don't think they are going to make that mistake in their next contract. 

If you go to TAMU there is a good chance you're leaving but not on your terms. 

What an expensive miscalculation…..giving Jimbo a 4 year extension just two years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1